• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Myggen

...examples? Surely you don't mean his twitter feed?

I was thinking of Bombin' especially. He has said himself that he's not been good enough at getting guests, but Samantha, Alexa, Cara etc. being on Bombin' has been great. I don't care about Twitter.

Anjin M

I'm with Jason Schreier in this regard, I'm not sure if it's a reporter's place to actively denounce things. Articles like that recent Verge one don't seem to serve a purpose and come across preachy and pandering. Those on the side of sanity already know that shit is wrong, and the harassers aren't going to stop because publications are uniting their voices - if anything it'll feed into their deluded fantasy of organised corruption and conspiracy.

I think the best way of handing it is to simply give the victims, targets and marginalised creators a regular voice and platform. Show off their work, write about the difficulties of creating fringe content in a risk adverse industry, find out why they stick with it.

These "harassment is bad, mmmmkay" articles obviously aren't working and the anonymity of the internet isn't going away.

Real change requires publications looking at how they cover the *entire* industry and it may hurt their bottom line. They can't write a dozen articles in a week about the latest braindead AAA shootbang, then wonder why their audience doesn't respond positively to more nuanced and conscience critique or games that don't involve mass murder and sports.

The gaming press need to acknowledge they're partially responsible for creating this insular environment and have profited from it for decades - and a handful of pleas to the community ain't gonna cut it.
This may be my favorite thing I've read from you, Zaph. You've given me something to think about.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I am so excited for Metal Gear Scanlon 2: Ryckert of the Patriots.

Started playing the HD collection MGS 2. So good.

Yeah i too want to replay MGS 2 but i have the xbox 360 version of that and i read they did some weird shit to the controls that the PS3 version doesn't have so i kinda want to buy the legacy collection specially since i haven't played MS4. Also Metal Gear Scanlon 2: Ryckert of the Patriots is a great fucking name.

Aaron

Speaking of Doom, are the Breaking Brad videos on II worth watching? Somehow missed them.
A hundred times yes. Brad Muir was a guest on one, and it was hilarious. Brad also says the funniest thing he will ever say in his whole life. Good thing it was recorded for posterity.

A hundred times yes. Brad Muir was a guest on one, and it was hilarious. Brad also says the funniest thing he will ever say in his whole life. Good thing it was recorded for posterity.

was it
It's hard out here for an imp?

I both chuckled and wanted to throw things at the screen

Volotaire

I wonder if a Four Swords Adventures style longplay would work with the GB crew. Maybe I'm biased, but I could see it being fun for at least the first few episodes. It would be a nightmare to stream all the GBA screens and the main screen. There would probably be too much downtime when they 'go it alone' and solving puzzles.

I'm too lazy to do anything with it, so I'm just going to leave this here. I'm sure someone will think of something.

ugly-celebs4.jpg

Jintor

Oh my god. I just realised I still haven't watched the rest of the Deadly Premonition endurance run because in my own playthrough I encountered some hideously painful bug where I couldn't drive anywhere because the car's brakes were always on and it would make this horrendous screeching sound.

Man, I should play Deadly Premonition

Brashnir

Oh my god. I just realised I still haven't watched the rest of the Deadly Premonition endurance run because in my own playthrough I encountered some hideously painful bug where I couldn't drive anywhere because the car's brakes were always on and it would make this horrendous screeching sound.

Man, I should play Deadly Premonition

You're probably better off just watching the rest of the ER.

Volotaire

I love Dan's reaction to the various guns in Painkiller. The game is such fun with experimenting with weapons and just killing hordes of enemies. It can get quite gruelling on harder difficulties, but still great fun. The stake gun is one of my favourite all time weapons along with the flak cannon in UT and the plasma rifle or BFG in Quake 3.

Toparaman

Banned
I think it would be great if GB made a "Best Moments" video for the first Metal Gear Scanlon. I don't have time to watch the whole series (it is the entire playthrough with no edits, right?), but it sounds hilarious.

Rainmaker

Banned
I've been listening through all of the Bombcasts in order again for awhile now and have made it to the January 7, 2014 edition where Drew Scanlon mentions that he picked up a game called Resistance: Avalon.

Either way it's absolutely the worst way to experience that game.
Anything is better than actually playing the game, although they(V/J) miss out on the vast majority of the side quests which add a lot of nice character detail. With the ER you get the music and voicework which a Lets Play doesn't really offer. Unless you're talking about another video series.

Anything is better than actually playing the game, although they(V/J) miss out on the vast majority of the side quests which add a lot of nice character detail. With the ER you get the music and voicework which a Lets Play doesn't really offer. Unless you're talking about another video series.

I was talking about a video series, yeah. One that shows the entire game.

Anyway, I thought we'd collectively gotten past the idea that Deadly Premonition is a bad game. Because it's a really good game.

Some people enjoy the game's quirks and incredible, unique attention to detail(shaving/time cycle/etc) enough to put aside the fact that the game itself is actually pretty terrible. Horrible movement, 2-3 minute long QTEs, abysmal performance(Durante helped that on the PC) poor encounter design(three wall crawlers in a row!) and endlessly tedious combat that would have been bad in 2000. It's certainly an interesting game that I'm glad to have spent time with, but actually playing it has never been anything but a chore.

Some people enjoy the game's quirks and incredible, unique attention to detail(shaving/time cycle/etc) enough to put aside the fact that the game itself is actually pretty terrible. Horrible movement, 2-3 minute long QTEs, abysmal performance(Durante helped that on the PC) poor encounter design(three wall crawlers in a row!) and endlessly tedious combat that would have been bad in 2000. It's certainly an interesting game that I'm glad to have spent time with, but actually playing it has never been anything but a chore.

yeah but I got the invincible guitar on like chapter 6 and so the combat is literally just me walking up to an enemy, one-shotting them (all of them), and moving on for the next 20 chapters

...which is still pretty fucking boring, but at that point the game becomes 20% bullshit and 80% actually entertaining story telling and character dynamics. Actually, it becomes that when you get the wrench even, which can be obtained even earlier. So I dunno. I like games that reward exploration. The biggest flaw to me is massive failure to signpost why you'd ever want to explore.

That and the way they managed to get it to run worse when making the Director's Cut.

jgminto

Playing it is cake if you know what you're doing.

yeah but I got the invincible guitar on like chapter 6 and so the combat is literally just me walking up to an enemy, one-shotting them (all of them), and moving on for the next 20 chapters

...which is still pretty fucking boring, but at that point the game becomes 20% bullshit and 80% actually entertaining story telling and character dynamics. Actually, it becomes that when you get the wrench even, which can be obtained even earlier. So I dunno. I like games that reward exploration. The biggest flaw to me is massive failure to signpost why you'd ever want to explore.

That and the way they managed to get it to run worse when making the Director's Cut.

You can get Grecotch as early as Chapter 3 too if you do the Milk Barn quests straight away.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I kinda wish that they'd redo deadly promotion without the combat. Especially seeing that they never really explained the zombies that well.

It might as well be an exploration of an environment while dodging the raincoat killer.

Plasma

Banned
Yeah i too want to replay MGS 2 but i have the xbox 360 version of that and i read they did some weird shit to the controls that the PS3 version doesn't.

The only change really is that in first person mode you don't have pressure sensitive controls so you can't slowly let off the X button to lower your weapon like you could with the square button on the PS2. Instead they added in safety button for the weapons like in Twin Snakes so all you have to do is click the left analogue and you lower your weapon. In all honestly once I got used to it I ended up liking this control method better, mainly for the automatic weapons, in the original I'd never hold it light enough when aiming and I'd shoot accidentally.

jgminto

I kinda wish that they'd redo deadly promotion without the combat. Especially seeing that they never really explained the zombies that well.

It might as well be an exploration of an environment while dodging the raincoat killer.

There'd be no point to exploring most of the town without the combat. This was a problem I had with the Director's Cut difficulty too. When you can take out every enemy easily with only the starting pistol, most of the rewards for completing quests become near useless. The shadows don't need an explicit explanation, there are ways to easily make sense of them.

It's never a hard game, but that doesn't make the combat or driving(this can be avoided early on with the radio at least) any less mind-numbingly tedious.

Never had a problem with the driving in the original (there were some weird problems with it in the PC version) but once you get the faster cars like Quint's I enjoyed driving around town a lot more.

I never actually finished Deadly Premonition myself. The PS3 version ran so bad it was driving me insane, and I hit a bug in the PC version that meant I couldn't complete a quest. I watched VJ to the end and decided I was done. Otherwise I love the game.

If they're really doing Vault of Glass today blind, I put their odds of success firmly at 0%. When I ran it, it took us over 3 hours and that was with people who knew what they were doing.

Top Bottom