• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Lol at brad trying to explain the literary accomplishments of tolkien while getting murdered on every side.

Ken

what armor is brad's character wearing? that's not a preorder skin is it?

oh nevermind, guess it's a day one bonus

"Assassin's Creed + Batman but with LOTR" sounds cool and I will probably play this game, but I don't understand what's so amazing about the nemesis system.

I'm just hearing "sometimes there's a miniboss"

Ken

"Assassin's Creed + Batman but with LOTR" sounds cool and I will probably play this game, but I don't understand what's so amazing about the nemesis system.

I'm just hearing "sometimes there's a miniboss"

i think the appeal is that it makes it feel like the world's inhabitants are constantly progressing along with you

Renpatsu

It just kind of sounds like that there are minibosses sometimes.
I think it's more like attaching a sense of permanence to the NPCs that simultaneously fills in the world that would otherwise be anonymous grunts in any other game. With the system in place the AI can react to one another as well as to the player character, ultimately forming a network of complexity that can be utilised during gameplay such as the vaunted Nemesis, but also things like a chain of command, or NPCs recognising and being familiar with other NPCs.

Edit: It reminds me of some of the complexities that a game such as Dwarf Fortress is known for, albeit simplified and attached to a third-person action game.

Wunder

Really?

Tell me more but don't show me anything except maybe like you climbing the same rock over and over.

Check out this capeeeeeeeee

In all seriousness though, game looks pretty awesome, and the QL was alright, even Brad recognized that it was a little scattershot. I only wish he would have tried real hard to kill all those dudes near the end of the QL, but oh well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mordor looks interesting but I don't give a shit about Tolkien stuff. The general tone gives me a bit of a Dark Souls + Assassins Creed thing though. Batman combat is neither a plus nor a minus.

Not sure whether to watch the forza quicklook. Already bought the game and there isn't that much to say about a racing game really, is there?

Fine QL showed me what I wanted to see from the game.
My main problem seems to me that the camera is way to close to char's back I want it more zoomed out, at least a little so their is more of an overview of my environment.

demidar

Mordor looks interesting but I don't give a shit about Tolkien stuff. The general tone gives me a bit of a Dark Souls + Assassins Creed thing though. Batman combat is neither a plus nor a minus.

Not sure whether to watch the forza quicklook. Already bought the game and there isn't that much to say about a racing game really, is there?

Batman combat turns me off, and it's goddamn everywhere now.

An open world that actually reacts sounds like a good evolution.

Yeah, everything that I've seen about this game has reminds me of Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction (PS2/XB/GC). For those who didn't play it, Mercenaries' main structure was in a Kill list/Bounty bracket, enemy commanders in the open-world that you could take out however you pleased (Of course, the big bosses were locked behind story missions). Shadow of Mordor sounds like the biggest advancement of that idea yet. You still have a tiered kill list, but it's much more open and organic in practice, as the Uruk-hai respond to either player-initiated events (Killing or dominating orcs to sow chaos, the survivors remembering your actions) or semi-random events (Promotions, infighting, new recruits).

daydream

Banned
Yeah, everything that I've seen about this game has reminds me of Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction (PS2/XB/GC). For those who didn't play it, Mercenaries' main structure was in a Kill list/Bounty bracket, enemy commanders in the open-world that you could take out however you pleased (Of course, the big bosses were locked behind story missions). Shadow of Mordor sounds like the biggest advancement of that idea yet. You still have a tiered kill list, but it's much more open and organic in practice, as the Uruk-hai respond to either player-initiated events (Killing or dominating orcs to sow chaos, the survivors remembering your actions) or semi-random events (Promotions, infighting, new recruits).

I've yet to see footage of SoM but comparing it to Mercenaries is one way of getting my attention.

jgminto

Wow...I wasn't expecting Shadow of Mordor to look so good. I am totally done with AC at this point too.

Shame Mercs 2 sucked so hard.

Xater

Wow...I wasn't expecting Shadow of Mordor to look so good. I am totally done with AC at this point too.

Same here, I am done with AC just as I am done with COD at this point. These yearly iterations only work so long for me. I just lose I terest of basically playing the same thing every year with minor iterations.

jgminto

Same here, I am done with AC just as I am done with COD at this point. These yearly iterations only work so long for me. I just lose I terest of basically playing the same thing every year with minor iterations.

I wanted to like Black Flag since I thought the ship stuff was the best part of 3 but as soon as I got to the first town I just couldn't maintain any interest. Especially since 3's land exploration was so bad and this was basically the same.

daydream

Banned
I need to see the donut tech in action.

Donut.gif

(Absolute Drift)

Xater

I hope in the next powerbombcast they discuss how wwe is shafting the network in the UK.

Probably not since no one there were s from the UK. Meanwhile here in Germany the word is that we won't get it unilat least the end of 2015. Meanwhile they are calling people idiots that actually still buy their PPVs. Real smart WWE, real smart....

popo

c/o Danluigi

Giant Bomb, CBS Interactive

235 Second Street

San Francisco, CA 94105

I hope in the next powerbombcast they discuss how wwe is shafting the network in the UK.

I know a lot if people who just sub to the US. Pay by paypwl, watch via VPN.

Sounds like they want the UK version to tie up with on demand from Sky and/or Virgin.

Look on the bright side, it would have cost you upwards of £50 a month, or the equivilant in Scottish Groats, if you had achieved your bankrupt, lawless, Scottish Utopia :p

Renpatsu

Seriously, Dan is a tactical genius. He baited the guys during the Mario Party Party when he saw that his momentum was slowly slipping away and he did it again when he saw that Brad might possibly score a free lunch off him. Ruthless I tells ya.

Oh man, I was afraid there would be issues. Could you link me to something that explains what's wrong or give a quick summary? I assume it's similar to the Canadian version with the content differing hugely from the US one?

That's what I was doing before but when they dated the UK one I let it lapse after the six months to see what our version was like. If it turns out to be crap I'll just resub to the US one.

Oh man, I was afraid there would be issues. Could you link me to something that explains what's wrong or give a quick summary? I assume it's similar to the Canadian version with the content differing hugely from the US one?

That's what I was doing before but when they dated the UK one I let it lapse after the six months to see what our version was like. If it turns out to be crap I'll just resub to the US one.

The article I read was that they delayed the network until November 1st to discuss with potential partners. That means they will probably have a partnership with sky for the network.

The article I read was that they delayed the network until November 1st to discuss with potential partners. That means they will probably have a partnership with sky for the network.

Sky signed a new deal with WWE earlier this year. I knew bad things were afoot for the Network when that happened. WWE is huge for Sky Sports, and they wont give it up too easy. Also, Sky can be right cunts when they want be with rights. -just look at what they are doing with the Champions League after BT nabbed that from 2015 onwards.

Anyways I had the Network for 6 months since Mania onwards - was nice, but gave it up once the 6 months elapsed. I might go in for six months again If I can get Rumble, Mania and Money in the Bank as part of the 6 months (not sure if that works out on the calender). I have stopped watch ingWWE totally until Rumble now - and it feels great to have a break.

Xater

Sounds like they want the UK version to tie up with on demand from Sky and/or Virgin.

Look on the bright side, it would have cost you upwards of £50 a month, or the equivilant in Scottish Groats, if you had achieved your bankrupt, lawless, Scottish Utopia :p

Oh yeah I also just use the US version of the network but it would have been so nice to not have to jump through hoops.

Xater

Who is the bunny?!?!?

Zayn or Gabriel depending on who you ask.

I also don't watch any WWE TV except for NXT right now. Just listen to podcasts that talk about it. Everything that's going on right now just sounds abysmal and my time is more valuable.

So it won't be launching tomorrow like they said?

I do really like the service, it's great for those times when I just want to watch some wrestling randomly, their original stuff is great too. All I want from the UK version is parity with the US. I've come to terms with the lack of Raw and such but ppvs need to work the same.

You guys already covered it but yeah Shadow of Mordor looks nice but the game does seem like a streamlined AC mixed with Batman. I am confused why some sites gave it a 9 and higher though. Game doesn't seem bad at all I though looks like a 7.5 or 8 though.

Also Dan likes stabbing things.

Top Bottom