• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Xater

You guys already covered it but yeah Shadow of Mordor looks nice but the game does seem like a streamlined AC mixed with Batman. I am confused why some sites gave it a 9 and higher though. Game doesn't seem bad at all I though looks like a 7.5 or 8 though.

Also Dan likes stabbing things.

But that's exactly what a lot of people want. I hate that in a game called Assassin's Creed you don't just focus on assassinating dudes. There is so much bullshit with following people around and all that other crap. This seems to focus on just the fighting and actual assassination which is great in my book. Add to that the cool nemesis system and you have a winner. Personally I would have given a 7ish score to every AC game after Brotherhood. Actually 3 would probably have been even worse.

Nibel

Listening to the recent Bombin' in the A.M.

Klepek trying to downplay Nintendo's engineering skills compared to industry darlings and Navarro jumping on the hyperbole train with MK8's split-screen framerate ("horrible!") was just painful to hear. Them duders are better than that.

But that's exactly what a lot of people want. I hate that in a game called Assassin's Creed you don't just focus on assassinating dudes. There is so much bullshit with following people around and all that other crap. This seems to focus on just the fighting and actual assassination which is great in my book. Add to that the cool nemesis system and you have a winner. Personally I would have given a 7ish score to every AC game after Brotherhood. Actually 3 would probably have been even worse.

It's pretty funny actually, Shadow of Mordor does better killings than AC. I lost interest in AC a long time ago and never liked Batman's magnet combat. However if you like both AC and Batman I can see why someone would like this game a lot. Even if they don't give a damn about LoTR.

Xater

It's pretty funny actually, Shadow of Mordor does better killings than AC. I lost interest in AC a long time ago and never liked Batman's magnet combat. However if you like both AC and Batman I can see why someone would like this game a lot. Even if they don't give a damn about LoTR.

I like the idea of AC I have just not been a fan of the execution for a while and yes I love the Rocksteady Batman games.

AC Unity will probably have worse combat then Mordor.

Oh absolutely. It looks like they still have the same crappy combat system in place. That has needed an overhaul since Brotherhood. That is also the issue with that series being yearly. Since they are on such a tight schedule it's kinda impossible to do huge overhauls and all you get is tweaks and new shit like the ship stuff bolted on top.

Klepek trying to downplay Nintendo's engineering skills compared to industry darlings and Navarro jumping on the hyperbole train with MK8's split-screen framerate ("horrible!") was just painful to hear. Them duders are better than that.

Well, it is horrible...

Nibel

Well, it is horrible...

It's still perfectly playable and far from "horrible". The Wii U can only do so much at a certain point and the game running on that console looking like that is impressive.

Dammit, it annoys me how people use those extreme, harsh words for things that don't fit their expecations. Evil Within's visual are being called 'awful', 30 FPS in MK8 are called 'horrible' and entire games are called 'garbage' despite having probably some redeemable qualities.

Renpatsu

Just going by the quick look, like all good games, it is the intersection of the disparate systems - such as the traversal, the combat, and the AI - that allows for those sprawling and organic combat scenarios held together by the nemesis system that seem to give Shadow of Mordor that edge in spite of the many franchises that it draws from.

Xater

It's still perfectly playable and far from "horrible". The Wii U can only do so much at a certain point and the game running on that console looking like that is impressive.

Dammit, it annoys me how people use those extreme, harsh words for things that don't fit their expecations. Evil Within's visual are being called 'awful', 30 FPS in MK8 are called 'horrible' and entire games are called 'garbage' despite having probably some redeemable qualities.

I don't know I consider halfing the frame rate horrible as well, but I have always been very sensitive to that stuff. I could also never enjoy splitscreen MP of Burnout 2 on the Gamecube with my friends.

Evil Within doesn't look horrible but it also doesn't look quite up to modern standards. The graphics are the least of my concern though. Played two demoes two years in a row and enjoyed neither.

hamchan

Are they better? Are they really?

Nibel

I don't know I consider halfing the frame rate horrible as well, but I have always been very sensitive to that stuff. I could also never enjoy splitscreen MP of Burnout 2 on the Gamecube with my friends.

Evil Within doesn't look horrible but it also doesn't look quite up to modern standards. The graphics are the least of my concern though. Played two demoes two years in a row and enjoyed neither.

But it's not like they are choosing to half the framerate because it's a design decision, it's because otherwise it wouldn't work. You can still have 60 FPS for 1-2 players so there's that, and the 4-player was probably impossible to do at 60 FPS. If this was sub-30, I would agree, but it isn't and still perfectly playable like a lot of other 30 FPS racing games.

Evil Within was just an example; I agree that it doesn't push the boundaries of what's possible, but still has a very good look. Didn't play any of the game yet and from what I've seen it looks better with every video. Maybe wait for some user impressions and give it another shot, or wait for budget price. :)

Dunno, they are long enough in this industry that they should. I hope.

popo

If they are "jumping on the hyperbole train" then maybe you are making excuses to justify buying weak hardware. Cuts both ways. Reality - somewhere in the middle. It is hardly "unplayable" but it is right to expect better.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mordor is the ugliest game I've seen this generation.

Everything about it just makes me think of stuff like Hunted and original Xbox fantasy games. Brown and green for days. You don't have to rainbow vomit onto it, but it's just so uninteresting to look at. As uninteresting visually as the main character is. And the climbing is just as janky as AC's climbing. Dan just seems like he goes out of his way to hurl shit at games he doesn't like.

Xater

But it's not like they are choosing to half the framerate because it's a design decision, it's because otherwise it wouldn't work. You can still have 60 FPS for 1-2 players so there's that, and the 4-player was probably impossible to do at 60 FPS. If this was sub-30, I would agree, but it isn't and still perfectly playable like a lot of other 30 FPS racing games.

Evil Within was just an example; I agree that it doesn't push the boundaries of what's possible, but still has a very good look. Didn't play any of the game yet and from what I've seen it looks better with every video. Maybe wait for some user impressions and give it another shot, or wait for budget price. :)

Of course they don't have a choice but people can only judge what is in front of them and if they don't enjoy that then that's that.

At this point i have no excitement for the Evil Within but I am also never willing to write a horror game completely off from demos during conventions because they rarely work out. I also did not have a great experience with Alien Isolation during Gamescom but I hope it will work out in the end.

Renpatsu

I dunno, conversation sorta felt like they were conflating the technical engineering prowess of Nintendo (which hasn't really been at the forefront for some time) with their programming philosophy which maximises the efficiency of how their games play with regards to the limitations of their systems. They squeeze so much from their own systems that it's a little bit of disservice to downplay that especially when so many developers opt for visual effects over gameplay.

Nibel

I don't know i was in that thread when people were complaining that DF found a judder in Mario Kart.

Huh?

Of course they don't have a choice but people can only judge what is in front of them and if they don't enjoy that then that's that.

At this point i have no excitement for the Evil Within but I am also never willing to write a horror game completely off from demos during conventions because they rarely work out. I also did not have a great experience with Alien Isolation during Gamescom but I hope it will work out in the end.

Yeah, gaming conventions are really bad for horror games. Nothing better than playing these at night in the dark with headphones; kind of disappointed that Bethesda won't release a demo for the game for people to get a taste of it, but in my case I already bought it a while ago, so I hope the game will turn out good.

Alien Isolation looks very good to me, but I'm not sure how much content there'll be. The recent EGX presentation was pretty nice.

Xater

Alien Isolation looks very good to me, but I'm not sure how much content there'll be. The recent EGX presentation was pretty nice.

I still need to watch that presentation. The demo I got to play of Alien isolation was from the challenge mode and without any tutorial that was a terrible experience. There are some people I trust when it comes to horror games and I will wait for impressions on these games. I also have to say though that with these games I might wait for sales anyway because Bethesda and Sega stuff normally drops fast in price.

Huh?

Yeah, gaming conventions are really bad for horror games. Nothing better than playing these at night in the dark with headphones; kind of disappointed that Bethesda won't release a demo for the game for people to get a taste of it, but in my case I already bought it a while ago, so I hope the game will turn out good.

The complaint that DF made was that Nintendo usually has frame rate locked down pretty well in their games but in Mario Kart it is running it 59 fps with judder. In the DF thread people were calling bullshit on DF and some people were in denial in their findings but to be fair that could be said in any framerate discussion on the internet.

Motorstorm was great.

Crazy talk Jeff.

Crazy
talk

cra
zy

ta
lk

I liked Apocalypse a lot.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dan's hatred of AC is just as crazy to me

next he's gonna tell us he isn't a Kanye fan

Loxley

You guys already covered it but yeah Shadow of Mordor looks nice but the game does seem like a streamlined AC mixed with Batman. I am confused why some sites gave it a 9 and higher though. Game doesn't seem bad at all I though looks like a 7.5 or 8 though.

Also Dan likes stabbing things.

You're omitting the game's entire selling point: the Nemesis system. Monolith delivered on all of their promises with it, there really hasn't been anything quite like it in a game before - that's why Shadow of Mordor is getting such high praise.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
AC hate is completely justified and logical. The series is garbage in cool places.
It's stealth for people who don't want stealth games, it's action for people who don't like action games and an RPG for people who don't like RPGs.

Assassin's Creed is the Black Eyed Peas of video games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apocalypse wasn't really a motorstorm game, more like blur or split/second etc. Motorstorm, Pacific Rift, Arctic Edge are the only real Motorstorm games.

edit: Hmm, wonder why they spell France in English, but Italia in Italian?

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Assassin's Creed is the Black Eyed Peas of video games.

DDJd4Vg.gif

you're kinda right tho

popo

No, a lot of major cities have some numbered street names, but there are plenty of street names that aren't numbered to go along with them.

I like the grid pattern a lot of american cities have. Not as romantic as some of our older European cities but a damn site easier working out the general location of an address.

Fjolle

Apocalypse wasn't really a motorstorm game, more like blur or split/second etc. Motorstorm, Pacific Rift, Arctic Edge are the only real Motorstorm games.

edit: Hmm, wonder why they spell France in English, but Italia in Italian?

France in french is spelled... France...

Dragon

Banned
I like the grid pattern a lot of american cities have. Not as romantic as some of our older European cities but a damn site easier working out the general location of an address.

Yeah NY is really easy to get around for this reason...until you get into the unnumbered street section or Alphabet City.

I enjoyed Brad's Tolkien talk. If you don't like the Middle Earth lore and the books or movies, no biggie but no one can deny its impact and ridiculous depth.

Even ultra-nerd Dan can't tear down its relevance!

Lol at brad trying to explain the literary accomplishments of tolkien while getting murdered on every side.

Thank God for that... Setting his priorities right (not sarcasm).

I enjoyed Brad's Tolkien talk. If you don't like the Middle Earth lore and the books or movies, no biggie but no one can deny its impact and ridiculous depth.

Even ultra-nerd Dan can't tear down it's relevance!

Yep.

popo

Not to get picky but at the start of the Mordor QL Dan says that it is "Assassins Creed but does everything better" and Brad "agrees 100%".

Dan admits he never makes it past the first few hours of AC games because the story is too slow and boring. Brad - if I remember correctly - quit part way in to Brotherhood and hasn't played one since.

Now they might be right - AC has its problems and I have not played Mordor - but I don't think either of them are qualified to make that statement :D

Top Bottom