• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If it wasn't fun enough to them to make them continue (also I think in the quick look dan said 2 was OK, so presumably he played a bit of it), they are entitled to think that mordor plays better than AC.

LegoArmo

The cars looks really nice in Horizon, but the backgrounds and world looks really, really flat. Lighting is nice, too.

Edit: It actually looks really great in some places, outside the cities.

hamchan

Not to get picky but at the start of the Mordor QL Dan says that it is "Assassins Creed but does everything better" and Brad "agrees 100%".

Dan admits he never makes it past the first few hours of AC games because the story is too slow and boring. Brad - if I remember correctly - quit part way in to Brotherhood and hasn't played one since.

Now they might be right - AC has its problems and I have not played Mordor - but I don't think either of them are qualified to make that statement :D

Having played and finished all the AC games, I'd say they've played enough to judge it.

Xater

Not to get picky but at the start of the Mordor QL Dan says that it is "Assassins Creed but does everything better" and Brad "agrees 100%".

Dan admits he never makes it past the first few hours of AC games because the story is too slow and boring. Brad - if I remember correctly - quit part way in to Brotherhood and hasn't played one since.

Now they might be right - AC has its problems and I have not played Mordor - but I don't think either of them are qualified to make that statement :D

Dan perfectly expressed what AC did that the didn't like. The amount that brad played of the AC series is more than enough. What important changes have there been since then? I would argue just the boat stuff and that is just a mechanic that got tacked on and didn#t change anything about the base.

popo

Well the whole - awkward running about, falling off buildings - thing has been improved over the years. Brad cited - look how fast I run up this building - looked exactly like how it is in AC4 now.

They have not changed much of the AC mechanics since AC2, a lot would wish they had innovated more, but they have refined them considerably over the years. The only thing I think they have not improved is combat - which they just made very easy rather than fixing.

GolazoDan

The combat in the AC series has changed a lot since AC2. I bought AC2 in a PSN sale having originally played it on 360 at release and it was kinda jarring. I think it's just been made easier so it's weird revisiting the old system. Otherwise it's mostly refinements. You still get the "taking two steps up a wall" thing but it's not as clunky as it was a few years ago.

kind of a weird stance to take, but I prefer AC combat when it's stone simple and devoid of challenge. just let me chain kill like 15 people in a row and walk away.

among the many reasons AC3 was a miserable experience was that the combat seemed to be like 70% banging swords against swords until something happened.

best racing game ever

they could literally lift the entirety of B:p and drop it onto a new map and I'd be happy as a pig in shit. You couldn't really do much to improve the experience.

As I grow older I have less and less time to play games. So I've noticed that I don't tend to be as creative with gameplay systems as I did when I was younger. If there's a move I can spam in a character action game, I'll spam it. If there's a gameplay system that doesn't earn me new moves or xp, I'll avoid it.

So I ask about the Nemesis system: to what end?

What does it offer me besides the fact that it's depth and scale is impressive? Because I need something tangible or else all I'll do is kill the main warchiefs and roll credits. I simply don't have time to be creative anymore.

As I grow older I have less and less time to play games. So I've noticed that I don't tend to be as creative with gameplay systems as I did when I was younger. If there's a move I can spam in a character action game, I'll spam it. If there's a gameplay system that doesn't earn me new moves or xp, I'll avoid it.

What does it offer me besides the fact that it's depth and scale is impressive? Because I need something tangible or else all I'll do is kill the main warchiefs and roll credits. I simply don't have time to be creative anymore.

Have fun?

I'm kind of the opposite. the older I get, the more fun I have in breaking systems. I don't care too much if I finish games, I like messing with AI and trying to beat missions/challenges in the dumbest ways possible.

my friend walked in on me spending like half an hour in Second Son trying to make npcs kill each other or fall to their deaths.

Loxley

Well, if you try to just kill the Warchiefs first thing, you'll likely get destroyed. You need to gather intel about them first and find out what their weaknesses are. You'll also want to kill/interrogate their captains or bodyguards, maybe turn a couple of them to your side and try to cause a power struggle with the Warchief. That way, when you finally do go in for the kill, the odds will be far more in your favor.

popo

Brad nerding out over the "Tolkien Literature" vs Dan's "dumb Orc shit".

I think I might be in the middle. Tolkien is very important for how he defined a lot of modern fantasy stalwarts but I wish it wasn't such a chore to read.

Well, if you try to just kill the Warchiefs first thing, you'll likely get destroyed. You need to gather intel about them first and find out what their weaknesses are. You'll also want to kill/interrogate their captains or bodyguards, maybe turn a couple of them to your side and try to cause a power struggle with the Warchief. That way, when you finally do go in for the kill, the odds will be far more in your favor.

I think he was asking what you got for killing the warchiefs. Do you get new skills or weapons? Do you have to do it to finish the game or just get 100% completion?

7-8 out of ten/4 stars is seeming about right for this game. If the story is meh then you can't really expect any higher.

Xater

I think I might be in the middle. Tolkien is very important for how he defined a lot of modern fantasy stalwarts but I wish it wasn't such a chore to read.

I totally agree with that. I respect a lot about LOTR but I am really not a fan of his writing style. It's very slow and too descriptive.

I get to apprecited Tolkien more as I was growing up. LotR is not a easy read for a 12 year old kid in Mexico.

But I like this game is in the middle of "look this obscure and awesome reference" and "go kill fucking orcs". Specially because the stuff seems to refeer to the less optimist parts of LotR lore

Xater

Forza Horizon 2 looks fun but also doesn't exactly blow my socks off. I don#t know what i expected but I guess more than this is delivering.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
after watching that Mordor QL I'm expecting 5 stars from Brad tbh. he seems to really like it.

Jeff doesn't seem like hes enjoying Forza Horizon 2 as much as i hoped (?) he might.

The demo was a ton of fun.

yeah, I had a lot of fun with the demo and I don't even like racing games all that much.

popo

Forza Horizon 2 looks fun but also doesn't exactly blow my socks off. I don#t know what i expected but I guess more than this is delivering.

Seems like more Horizon just with a new map. You could argue this is more than the Forza main games have offered.

I remember sinking a ton of hours in to Forza 2 and was a little disappointed by how little changed in Forza 3 and by Forza 4 they were just taking the piss. I have not played 5 but it looks like a prettier version with better or worse AI - depending on who you ask and what difficulty it is on.

I get to apprecited Tolkien more as I was growing up. LotR is not a easy read for a 12 year old kid in Mexico.

I bet you still skipped pass the songs and poems :D

Jeff doesn't seem like hes enjoying Forza Horizon 2 as much as i hoped (?) he might.

I think it's mostly a case of more of the same. I didn't play the first Horizon, 2 is my first, and I am loving it a ton. But looking back at the quick look for the first game 2 seems to be basically the same thing, just in Europe now.

Jeff isn't really feeling FH2. It looks cool I think. Though I hope they release a patch to address the smoke/dirt going through your car. I know, nitpick but ugh.

Bacon

I bet you still skipped pass the songs and poems :D

Omfg those songs and poems. Between that and the hobbits prancing and meandering around the woods for about half of fellowship I just couldn't do it. I definitely have a lot of respect for Tolkien blazing the trail for the fantasy genre but I just can't get into the books.

"He also writes songs where he sings about loving other songs, which is the lowest form of songwriting ever."

Dan makes some points, but Jeff wins this argument.

pronk420

when Leon Tolstoy wrote lord of the rings I bet he had no idea it would get turned into a video game where you stab orcs in the face

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Jeff's taste changes constantly. I don't think he ever said there was anything he thought was bad, it all sounded like anything he might not be as into about it is subjective. Sometimes it's all right place right time.

I was initially super skeptical about the nemesis stuff and the whole political system. It was reinforced in my first hour because this:
isn't really true. First thing I did was just wander around the map and ended up casually killing over half of the generals without being hit once.

Then in the second hour I made some mistakes and got overwhelmed and one captain killed me, got super strong, I fucked up some other events and he got stronger, now he's immune to almost everything and hates my guts. Thunderbeard is a real jerk. So now I'm really into it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I was initially super skeptical about the nemesis stuff and the whole political system. It was reinforced in my first hour because this:
isn't really true. First thing I did was just wander around the map and ended up casually killing over half of the generals without being hit once.

Then in the second hour I made some mistakes and got overwhelmed and one captain killed me, got super strong, I fucked up some other events and he got stronger, now he's immune to almost everything and hates my guts. Thunderbeard is a real jerk. So now I'm really into it.

I was kinda sceptical about that system too, cause it sounds like it's only really cool when you die a lot and looking at the gameplay footage the game doesn't seem that hard. So I'll probably start it on a higher difficulty level

Have you been marathoning the series?

Not really. I started the first episode and got distracted with other stuff. Then came back to the page and saw that they were up to 7 at the time. I've been knocking them out everyday since then to catch up. Kind of similar to how they're doing the breaks inbetween and Drew forgets what button to press, etc. I finished the last one last night, Drew has the hang of it now.

I won't be able to watch the live finale(?) of the first game though.

Sounds kind of like antibiotic resistant bacteria. You kill off the weak only to make the strong, stronger or something like that.

I didn't like Burnout Paradise, while Burnout 3: Takedown is one of my favorite games. I played that game so much on the original Xbox.

Top Bottom