• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Forza Horizon 2 Quick Look is so good. Dan's really good at getting people wildly off-topic.
That video is full of strong opinions on all sorts of things. People will probably like it.

Also: where's Monaco? Why would they not have it in a racing game that takes place at the Italian-French border?

popo

That bit at the end of the QL where they are chasing down an orc and OMG he totally escaped - that is chasing the couriers in every AC game ever - only they gave you a better reason to do it than a tiny amount of gold.

Also: where's Monaco? Why would they not have it in a racing game that takes place at the Italian-French border?

It isn't a real map though. If you start putting actual real life cities in there then it just makes that more obvious.

Xater

That bit at the end of the QL where they are chasing down an orc and OMG he totally escaped - that is chasing the couriers in every AC game ever - only they gave you a better reason to do it than a tiny amount of gold.

Also him escaping does not result in instant failure.

GB's always had a weird relationship with AC.

They loved AC4 despite all the flaws because of some overriding general narrative of "ASSASSIN'S CREED IS SAVED AND NOW ONE OF THE BEST GAMES OF THE YEAR" (which is crazy hyperbole and I like the series a lot) but are more than willing to throw it under the bus whenever it comes up.

I wish HD collections hadn't died down, because if EA did a racing game collection with Takedown, Revenge, Underground and Most Wanted... that'd be cool.

popo

Also him escaping does not result in instant failure.

Neither does it in AC with the random couriers. They just respawn somewhere else.

It is cool that the guy will turn up again and remember that you chased him but that is all that seems new in that encounter.

EA turning Criterion into a Need For Speed mill and then gutting the company is so sad. I hope that new game the remainder of their staff is working on will be good.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't a real map though. If you start putting actual real life cities in there then it just makes that more obvious.
Well I know that, but it's Monaco, iconic racing city. And it would be right there!

Xater

They loved AC4 despite all the flaws because of some overriding general narrative of "ASSASSIN'S CREED IS SAVED AND NOW ONE OF THE BEST GAMES OF THE YEAR" (which is crazy hyperbole and I like the series a lot) but are more than willing to throw it under the bus whenever it comes up.

I think a lot of love for 4 just came from how terrible 3 was. by comparison it seemed like a huge improvement. It had a much better pacing with a fun but tacked on new mechanic. The core of course was still the same.

Neither does it in AC with the random couriers. They just respawn somewhere else.

It is cool that the guy will turn up again and remember that you chased him but that is all that seems new in that encounter.

nah I meant chasing missions in general in AC. These games are pretty bad about their instant failure conditions.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I think it was mostly vinny and ryan who brought up the love. Considering that brad can't bring himself to finish brotherhood and dan stated his dislike from the outset I don't really think both of them not liking AC is that weird.

Curufinwe

Vinny, Jeff and Alex were the guys who really liked AC4 and had it in their top 10s. It wasn't in Brad or Patrick's or Drew's.

I think it was mostly vinny and ryan who brought up the love. Considering that brad can't bring himself to finish brotherhood and dan stated his dislike from the outset I don't really think both of them not liking AC is that weird.

The AC4 push was definitely Jeff. Brad was very, very easily convinced by going "I've only played half an hour, but you're definitely right."

There is less talk about saving at a church conversion event.

popo

Well I know that, but it's Monaco, iconic racing city. And it would be right there!

Looking at the FH2 map - it would be a fair distance along the coast, it isn't like it is right on the border.

Also if they did a proper job of modelling all the streets of any one city then it would be almost as dense as the entire FH2 map, one which represents hundreds of miles. Would totally fuck with the scale.

The AC4 push was definitely Jeff. Brad was very, very easily convinced by going "I've only played half an hour, but you're definitely right."

There is less talk about saving at a church conversion event.

Jeff, Vinny and Alex all played a lot of AC4. Patrick was mixed on it. I don't think Brad touched it. Brad seemed to really like AC2 though. Seems to have soured on it since. Shame as I thought Brotherhood and AC4 were real highlights.

I heard them praising AC4, but I also remember commenting that AC in general needed to do better. Even Vinny was tired of the collectibles...

justjim89

The specs are suuuuuuuuuper overboard. The min still looks super nice, but you can max it at like half of what they recommend, they wanted to play it safe I guess.

Is DX11 required, or is there a DX10 or DX9 version? Because DX11 is what makes my laptop shoot itself.

Antiwhippy

Eh, I guess you're right, but the guys are pretty prone to going with the zeitgeist in those GOTY talks with something they're not familiar with.

I guess jeff likes it too? Though from what I remembered he always had a weird stance on it.

popo

Is DX11 required, or is there a DX10 or DX9 version? Because DX11 is what makes my laptop shoot itself.

DX11

Min spec is i5, 460/5850 which sounds like it would be rough on most laptops.

I feel your pain, my desktop only just beats min spec. I am not going to even attempt it. I will either play the gimped last gen version or wait until I buy current gen/upgrade PC. At least it will only be £10 on PC by that time :D

Dan Ryckert, I will answer your question about what happened to "the Satan figure" in Tolkien's writings since Brad got distracted.

He was chained and thrown into space jail.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at the FH2 map - it would be a fair distance along the coast, it isn't like it is right on the border.

Also if they did a proper job of modelling all the streets of any one city then it would be almost as dense as the entire FH2 map, one which represents hundreds of miles. Would totally fuck with the scale.
Monaco is between Nice (which is in the game) and the Italian border, it would be right there, but they obviously didn't want it to be. It's also much smaller than Nice, so that would totally work in their already ruined scale.

I think AC4 placing so highly on the GOTY list was a (huge over-)reaction to AC3 sucking and also that they really, really wanted something to justify new consoles. So it was their "Yep, this generation's going to bring it" 2013 game.

Antiwhippy

Dan Ryckert, I will answer your question about what happened to "the Satan figure" in Tolkien's writings since Brad got distracted.

He was chained and thrown into space jail.

To put it in terms that an anime nerd like Dan could understand, did he suffer the same fate as kars from JoJo?

Zaph

EgAYRlT.png

t1412110800z4.png

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm curious how Drew will fare against the final boss. I know it took me at least an hour when I played it on Vita two years ago.

Oh, did Dr. Who use his phone booth to put the devil in jail?

nah, someone else chained up Satan on a planet orbiting a black hole, and separated his body and mind

then the Doctor showed up and sent them both into the black hole by smashing a vase

it was pretty cool

Anth0ny

I've only completed Assassin's Creed 2, and played bits of Brotherhood and IV. While I do want to return to those games and finish them someday... 2 was not what I'd call a GOTY caliber game. Unless the AC games have improved drastically over the years (the mission variety in 2 was particularly bad, as was the story), I'm not sure what the GB duders see in those games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've only completed Assassin's Creed 2, and played bits of Brotherhood and IV. While I do want to return to those games and finish them someday... 2 was not what I'd call a GOTY caliber game. Unless the AC games have improved drastically over the years (the mission variety in 2 was particularly bad, as was the story), I'm not sure what the GB duders see in those games.

You stab dudes in the face and neck, and it's oddly satisfying.

Loxley

Watching the Shadow of Mordor QL, I'm pleasantly surprised at just how much Brad knows about Tolkien. When Dan was starting to talk mess about the languages of Middle-earth I was ready to shout at my screen that Tolkien was a philologist and understood how languages are constructed - and as such built the Middle-earth Legendarium around the languages he created. They're not just random half-assed fantasy languages, they're fully fleshed-out (well, not all of them) and make sense.

But Brad pretty much said exactly that, which was cool :) Then Dan proceeded to give my favorite quote of the whole QL: "Tolkien sounds like a pretty big nerd."

Top Bottom