• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
For the hottest Forza: Horizon screenshots there's no better place than GiantBomb.com.

KOvYLjs.jpg

ILEP0Xo.jpg

nu86sAj.jpg

i17KWl4.jpg

FHpNRAE.jpg

Io5FsxR.jpg

THK5VM4.jpg

justjim89

You are not serious, right?

I'm only half-kidding. The act of sitting down and inventing a whole language sounds fucking tedious and awful, let alone multiple times. Then justifying it by writing this big huge magic elven fantasy world around.

He said, having never consumed any piece of Tolkein media in his life.

I'm only half-kidding. The act of sitting down and inventing a whole language sounds fucking tedious and awful, let alone multiple times. Then justifying it by writing this big huge magic elven fantasy world around.

He said, having never consumed any piece of Tolkein media in his life.

You know that there is an actual career for studying Language?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philology

Having some teachers that are actually doing this kind of research, I will tell you that THEY LOVE this kind of stuff...

That Tolkien inveted a fantasy world because of it speaks more about the dude imagination.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
Since I consistently see this come up in threads, comments, tweets, etc., let me clarify this now about the "nerd" thing. I say it jokingly and lovingly. I'll call Tolkien or Halo lore fans "nerds" as a joke, because I assume that 95% of people understand that I can't possibly be serious. I grew up on video games and wrestling. I was constantly drawing video game characters in class instead of paying attention. I never went to parties or socialized much in high school. I played Mario games for 50 hours straight. I didn't kiss a girl until I was in college. I've written about video games as a profession for nine years now. Being a 30 year-old man who's obsessed with wrestling is as nerdy or moreso than a 30 year-old who's into any video game's lore. I'm 100% a nerd, and always have been. When I call someone a "nerd," I'm fucking around.

Feel free to repost this anytime someone does the "I can't believe Dan is calling us nerds! Is he being serious?" thing.

Since I consistently see this come up in threads, comments, tweets, etc., let me clarify this now about the "nerd" thing. I say it jokingly and lovingly. I'll call Tolkien or Halo lore fans "nerds" as a joke, because I assume that 95% of people understand that I can't possibly be serious. I grew up on video games and wrestling. I was constantly drawing video game characters in class instead of paying attention. I never went to parties or socialized much in high school. I played Mario games for 50 hours straight. I didn't kiss a girl until I was in college. I've written about video games as a profession for nine years now. Being a 30 year-old man who's obsessed with wrestling is as nerdy or moreso than a 30 year-old who's into any video game's lore. I'm 100% a nerd, and always have been. When I call someone a "nerd," I'm fucking around.

Feel free to repost this anytime someone does the "I can't believe Dan is calling us nerds! Is he being serious?" thing.

What about Windows X Dan?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Sure, but on the other hand,

tumblr_meit12HiQB1qc91k6o1_500.gif

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Watching the Shadow of Mordor QL, I'm pleasantly surprised at just how much Brad knows about Tolkien. When Dan was starting to talk mess about the languages of Middle-earth I was ready to shout at my screen that Tolkien was a philologist and understood how languages are constructed - and as such built the Middle-earth Legendarium around the languages he created. They're not just random half-assed fantasy languages, they're fully fleshed-out (well, not all of them) and make sense.

But Brad pretty much said exactly that, which was cool :) Then Dan proceeded to give my favorite quote of the whole QL: "Tolkien sounds like a pretty big nerd."

Followed up with "So did Tolkien have a girflfriend?!"

Zomba13

Dan is an enigma wrapped in a mystery stuffed in a conundrum full of dorks and nerds and cool guy action movies.

Myggen

Man, I need to play Shadow of Mordor ASAP. I'm pretty burnt out on both the Batman combat and Assassin's Creed, but somehow that game looks amazing to me.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
giant bomb for me is a religion, and dan ryckert is the shit.

Tucah

you speak so well
Man, I need to play Shadow of Mordor ASAP. I'm pretty burnt out on both the Batman combat and Assassin's Creed, but somehow that game looks amazing to me.

As someone who was both burned out on AC and kind of tired of Batman combat, SoM has been fucking great for the two or three hours I've sunk into it so far.

Also that Dan post is great, I can foresee it being quoted quite frequently in this thread.

Myggen

Just found my old box of N64 games and I have a copy of Mario Party 2. I don't see myself ever playing it considering I don't have an N64 anymore, so i'll probably mail it to GB. Anyone know the address to send stuff? How do I make sure it gets to Dan and isin't intercepted by Jeff?

If you're still wondering, this is the address according to Rorie:

(Any staffer's name)

Giant Bomb, CBS Interactive

235 Second Street

San Francisco, CA 94105

Loving Dan's activity in this thread.

I just hope he doesn't come here on weekends.

Yup, the QL totally sold me on it, so I bought it and gave it a short (about an hour) go. Won't have time to play more today, but I'm expecting to spend the entire night tomorrow playing it. Though there'll be the MGS archive, too :(

It's basically the game I was looking for just a month ago, as I felt like playing a cool melee focused action game with a lot of stuff to do. Ended up buying AC4 and that game was a drag.

FStop7

Banned
For anyone who enjoyed the Forza Horizon 2 QL, please make sure you watch the FH1 quick look if you already haven't. I think it's one of GB's best.

so1337

As someone who was both burned out on AC and kind of tired of Batman combat, SoM has been fucking great for the two or three hours I've sunk into it so far.
That's good to hear. The Quick Look and especially the nemesis system sold me pretty hard on that game.

Tucah

you speak so well
That's good to hear. The Quick Look and especially the nemesis system sold me pretty hard on that game.

The Nemesis system is the real deal. It's super satisfying to finally kill a guy who's murdered you a few times before and it's incredibly frustrating (in the best way) when you go to get vengeance on some Uruk only for him to kill you again (I will kill you Amug the Skinless, I WILL KILL YOU).

2644555-4686838306-iKfn8.gif

Top Bottom