• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

[/LIST]

A game being dense isn't some amazing test of player skill, it is a developer's oversight because they're already aware of how the game works. Games without direct tutorials still teach their players how to play, even if they aren't aware of it, and the Evil Within fails at this task. So don't mistake bad game design for anything other than it is... and don't blame the player, blame the game.
The game assumes that you can understand that crouching keeps you hidden and bottles make noise(pretty sure there's a pop up for this if you don't). Items are highlighted and it tells you how to shoot. I beat the first chapter on my second try, there's just nothing confusing about how it works. The camera isn't bad either but the limited viewing angle is intentional. In the first stealth segment there are multiple windows and doors ways that you can peek through that reveal where the enemy is if you can't hear him.

And it's incredibly easy to know when you'll be spotted. Sebastian even has an animation for when he's close to a wall to let you know that you're covered. It's pretty self explanatory, hang out in the middle of a doorway and you will die.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Guys, I'm not good playing video games but I like playing video games... Why the hate?

people dont buy videogames based on a arbitrary score you gave the game?

of course, thats another subject all together and you shouldnt do that, but since many do, thats why many get upset at reviewers "being bad"

shwimpy

I won't be part of Extra Life this year thanks to the (very) unexpected Royals thing. I'm not much of a sports guy, but I grew up going to Royals games and they *always* sucked. To see my city finally celebrating a winning team in any sport is something I want to witness, and my dad is another huge part of it. He never thought he'd get to see this again after '85, and it would mean a lot to hang out with him while it happens.
That's awesome. I've been watching the Dodgers with my dad since the early 90's and what I wouldn't give to see them win it all and celebrate with him. It's a bummer you won't be on the stream but it's super understandable. Have fun and go Royals!

bender

What time is it?
I can't put my finger on it but something about the UI in The Evil Within just rubs me the wrong way.

I can't put my finger on it but something about the UI in The Evil Within just rubs me the wrong way.
What bothers you? It's pretty minimal and you can turn off each piece of the hud, reticle, and even item prompts. I have it so that in gameplay there is no hud what so ever, because bringing up your inventory shows your current status and you always know when you're near death because Sebastian's animation changes.

people dont buy videogames based on a arbitrary score you gave the game?

of course, thats another subject all together and you shouldnt do that, but since many do, thats why many get upset at reviewers "being bad"

As a "fllthy casual" when it comes to AAA games, I prefer the guys at Giantbomb, who aren't that fantastic at games, but know them well, over some Youtuber who can do a speed run in 35 seconds, but is annoying to listen too and can't complete a sentence with more than two syllables in it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I won't be part of Extra Life this year thanks to the (very) unexpected Royals thing. I'm not much of a sports guy, but I grew up going to Royals games and they *always* sucked. To see my city finally celebrating a winning team in any sport is something I want to witness, and my dad is another huge part of it. He never thought he'd get to see this again after '85, and it would mean a lot to hang out with him while it happens.

So yeah, I unfortunately had to back out of Extra Life since this is such a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I will certainly be doing any and all of them in the future, however.

Are you going to try to actually go to a game or are you heading back for the bar/general atmosphere?

bender

What time is it?
What bothers you? It's pretty minimal and you can turn off each piece of the hud, reticle, and even item prompts. I have it so that in gameplay there is no hud what so ever, because bringing up your inventory shows your current status and you always know when you're near death because Sebastian's animation changes.

It's not the HUD, it's the menus when selecting your weapons or performing upgrades. I know it's a really weird thing to be bothered by but it doesn't seem to fit the aesthetic of the game.

edit: I have no first had experience so maybe that is it.

Watching Patrick play the Evil Within has really made me realize how incompetent people are at games and why invasive tutorials have become so prevalent. He complains about it not making clear what you can do......there are bottles in every direction. clear audio signals to show where enemies are, and so on. People just seem unable to understand a game these days unless you are bashed over the head with aid. Real shame.

Patrick is the Dark Soul. He has the talent. He doesn't arbitrarily blame the game for all failure to understand (like SOMEONE advised), and he gets shit done rather soon.

That's what people forget about streaming: it shows the sausage being made, not just the prepared polska kielbasa (mmm...polska kielbasa...).

I streamed the first 4 hours of the game when it unlocked on steam, and did fine :p Was talking via text chat rather than voice and only had a hundred rather than thousand watching though.

I think I had as much trouble as Patrick did in that beginning section. I wasn't put off by it though. It's a new game, of course I'm not going to know what to do. I welcome the fact that it isn't that hand holdy BUT the actual game is a little rough.

I don't mind some jank in my games though ;]

Patryn

How crazy would it be to have a 24 hour GBEast stream, a 24 hour Brad stream and a 24 hour San Fran stream?
I suspect that's what they're doing.

Brad already mentioned they're streaming more than last year and mentioned something about east coast, which I think indicates Beast, but maybe it's Patrick.

And Dan, I'm guessing most of this thread will be rooting for the Royals for you.

So yeah, I unfortunately had to back out of Extra Life since this is such a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I will certainly be doing any and all of them in the future, however.

You have a legit shot. Royals look like a buzzsaw right now.

Jothel

The news was even reported over here, in Japan, must be pretty crazy!

I've been to more royals games than twins games (my team). Good on the royals they're fun.

It was mostly because it was a really close drive and the tickets were close to free.

ryanmac

Banned
Seems harsh. Do you have proof that anyone has been so punished?

I posted something to the effect of "Writing about this stuff is just giving the bad apples attention and making things worse. I hope we can just get back to talking about games."

Followed by a suspension of posting rights for "trying to derail the conversation" according to the moderator team.

The only proof I have is personal experience.

Mully

I subbed to /r/KotakuInAction after this week's Bombcast comments. I grew tired of the #GamerGate thing after the first initial weeks so I haven't kept up with the nonsense. Dear fucking god, what did I just read?

Browsing that and the parody GAF sub-reddit makes me want to steer as far away as possible from ever reporting about the games industry ever again. Like I'm not even sure I want to even go to PAX South or East now. I know a large majority of attendees and readers aren't like the users of those dumps. However, it feels fruitless to bring up any legitimate debate in games right now. The KIA and #GG crowd will co-opt it, play the victim, talk louder than anyone else, and ruin it for everyone; including themselves.

I feel bad for the dudes at GB. Especially after seeing that one 500+ upvoted topic about KIA's ignorant criticism of GB. I know those people are baggage that Jeff, and particularly Rorie do not want, but still it must fucking suck to deal with that bullshit.

If GBeast are going to do their 24-hour share of Extra Life I wouldn't mind them being joined by Patrick and/or a random assortment of people they can drag in.

justjim89

Damn, never been to reddit before and never going back after browsing that Giant Bomb un-sub comment thread. I'd love to see how much GamerGate people overlap with Men's Rights Activists, because their language and arguments are like 90% the same.

Also, good for you Dan! Watch the baseballs (World Series is baseball, right?) and have a catch with your old man! Eat apple pie! Punch bad guys and kiss pretty girls! America!

daydream

Banned
We'll miss you, Dan, but this is totally something you should do! Hope you have a great time with your dad!

Also, good for you Dan! Watch the baseballs (World Series is baseball, right?) and have a catch with your old man! Eat apple pie! Punch bad guys and kiss pretty girls! America!

Frog coitus!

Damn, never been to reddit before and never going back after browsing that Giant Bomb un-sub comment thread. I'd love to see how much GamerGate people overlap with Men's Rights Activists, because their language and arguments are like 90% the same.

Since reddit is a major hub for MRAs I'm assuming there's a good amount of overlap. Just by the way the reddit algorithm works it encourages a lot of circlejerking because dissenting opinions in any given thread are literally hidden from view if enough people disagree with it, and it tends to reinforce opinions and make pretty outrageous viewpoints seem reasonable, but I wouldn't say it reflects on the userbase of reddit in general.

Myggen

Since reddit is a major hub for MRAs I'm assuming there's a good amount of overlap. Just by the way the reddit algorithm works it encourages a lot of circlejerking because dissenting opinions in any given thread are literally hidden from view if enough people disagree with it, and it tends to reinforce opinions and make pretty outrageous viewpoints seem reasonable, but I wouldn't say it reflects on the userbase of reddit in general.

Yeah, there's plenty of great subreddits. But Reddit's extremely hands off approach to moderation makes it hard to ignore the despicable parts of that community.

Also, no Dan at Extra Life? :( Aw man, a 24 hour stream is made for Dan Ryckert! Ah well, I'm sure it'll be a great few days of streaming, and totally understand that he'd want to be in Kansas for this baseball nonsense!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So GBWest stream will be Jeff, Drew, Alexis, Jason(in the back), And? Can't get any of the GS people I don't think since they're doing their own things. Brad will be solo streaming, right? Maybe it's just 3.

Myggen

So GBWest stream will be Jeff, Drew, Alexis, Jason(in the back), And? Can't get any of the GS people I don't think since they're doing their own things. Brad will be solo streaming, right? Maybe it's just 3.

Dave? Will Smith? Someone else? We don't know yet, really. I'm sure they'll announce the plans tomorrow or early next week.

Ian also said on Twitter some time ago that he would probably come into the office to help out (he's also doing a solo stream as part of the GB group, but either some days before or after the main GB stream), so it's likely that he'll be in the control room for at least a big part of the stream.

Wait, so we know the date, rightt? I must have forgotten about it.

25th of October is the official Extra Life date. My guess would be that they're planning 72 hours, beginning Friday 24th next week.

pronk420

does the destiny raid audio get any better? I can't hear Jeffrey at all

at least I now have no need to play any more destiny, watching it will be enough for me

Jokab

So wait, are some people actually upset about GB reporting on the whole GG thing? Why? The Klepek Sarkeesian article literally says what happened and then Patrick weighs in saying he's tired of it. What is there to be angry about? I have no idea.

So wait, are some people actually upset about GB reporting on the whole GG thing? Why? The Klepek Sarkeesian article literally says what happened and then Patrick weighs in saying he's tired of it. What is there to be angry about? I have no idea.

Those supporting or defending this sort of heinous shit aren't so interested in reason or logic.

Myggen

From what I've seen, it's either:

1) Keep your politics out of my Giant Bomb! I just want to play games and have fuuuuuuun.
2) There's harassment happening on both sides, why only report what GamerGate people are doing?!
3) These people do not represent GG, the movement is about ethics in journalism!
4) Supporters of GG who dislike that kind of focus on the movement.

The post on Reddit about the dude cancelling his subscription over this is extra ridiculous. He did that because of the duders denouncing the harassment on the podcast. That's all they did. And what this guy heard was them saying "All the terrible terrible things that ever happen ever are because of Gamers... A few trolls say some shit and suddenly it's the voice of Gamers as a singular entity." He's just making shit up in order to justify his outrage.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
From what I've seen, it's either:

1) Keep your politics out of my Giant Bomb! I just want to play games and have fuuuuuuun.
2) There's harassment happening on both sides, why only report what GamerGate people are doing?!
3) These people do not represent GG, the movement is about ethics in journalism!
4) Supporters of GG who dislike that kind of focus on the movement.

The post on Reddit about the dude cancelling his subscription over this is extra ridiculous. He did that because of the duders denouncing the harassment on the podcast. That's all they did. And what this guy heard was them saying "All the terrible terrible things that ever happen ever are because of Gamers... A few trolls say some shit and suddenly it's the voice of Gamers as a singular entity." He's just making shit up in order to justify his outrage.

It's a fascinating read to be honest. People actually feel offended by "You are an asshole for sending death threats" and somehow image Jeff&Brad insulted gamers somehow.
Obviously a lot of them are like "Yeah, they lost their cred a while ago!" as I said before, the most disgusting ones try to use Ryan for some sort of twisted argument (though at least some folks called them out on this).
It's basically the best proof why gamergate is a terrible movement: If you don't say EXACTLY what we want you to say, we will hate you. Don't kid yourself, this is about this and about nothing else. They do this to every person or site whos not 100% with them (Sterling, Walker etc) while still talking like it's about "ethics in journalism"

Haunted

I'm happy that GB SF took a more explicit stance on the issue, so that the mysoginists couldn't hide behind their silence anymore, (falsely) interpreting it as tacit approval.

Most issues are multi-faceted and fairly complex, so it's refreshing to have something as straightforward as this one. Fuck the guys harassing and bullying women online with this sorry "movement".

Myggen

It's a fascinating read to be honest. People actually feel offended by "You are an asshole for sending death threats" and somehow image Jeff&Brad insulted gamers somehow.
Obviously a lot of them are like "Yeah, they lost their cred a while ago!" as I said before, the most disgusting ones try to use Ryan for some sort of twisted argument (though at least some folks called them out on this).
It's basically the best proof why gamergate is a terrible movement: If you don't say EXACTLY what we want you to say, we will hate you. Don't kid yourself, this is about this and about nothing else. They do this to every person or site whos not 100% with them (Sterling, Walker etc) while still talking like it's about "ethics in journalism"

My favourite part of the comments in that thread was the guy who said that apparently GB got paid to showcase some games on TNT back in the day without disclosing it. "Apparently". His proof was that some people said it in the chat years ago.

All in all those comments aren't that bad. You can feel that a lot of those guys have respect for Jeff especially, and are just dissapointed that he didn't say that harassment is really cool.

Also, Vinny said this in the comment section under the Sarkeesian article, which I think was pretty good (the first quote is someone on the forum, the second is Vinny's answer):

That is insidious Patrick and you know it. Anti-GGers have harassed gamers including Ms. Alexander, Ms. Quinn and even Ms. Wu. So by your logic, none of those sources are credible.

A number of their complaints have been substantiated as well. Press has personally financially supported Developers. Developers and Press have had relationships far closer than journalistic integrity should dictate. Hell, GamesJurnosPros is a facsimile of the JournoList. There is a real narrative being built that gaming websites are corrupt, and GG is asking for an end to that. I think they have blown the whole thing out of proportion, but to have the audacity to claim GamerGate: couldn't articulate beyond "don't criticize games in a way I don't like them being criticized."" is just false and you know it.
I have seen this a fair amount and I think some of the language causes really large issues. What is Press? Any youtube or twitch personality streaming a game? A publication? Someone with a little card in his/her hat?

Who are developers? Anyone with a copy of Unity?

Are we just talking about IGN and GameSpot and Activision and EA?

Who are the people that need to sit at this table and have a discussion? Where is the debate happening?

The narrative that gaming sites are corrupt has been going on for decades. I have seen better information and more supporting evidence previously than this. I actually think traditional game websites are the best and most accountable they have ever been. The problem, I believe stems from a democratization of coverage, widening audience for games, and accessibility to development. Everybody is doing everything now. Everybody loves/hates everything. Everybody is fighting.

edit: Okay, that's it from me on this issue for now. The larger issue of gamergate is off topic, I guess.

If you dig deep enough into reddit there's a bottomless pit of offensive shit and the darkest sides of humanity, so I'd just advise against it and stick to the front page where it's just superfluous dumb fun stuff ever since they kicked those atheists out, or a small subreddit that doesn't generate enough upvotes for the algorithm to warp the discussion.

The mythical SJW types that use social platforms as a means of attacking people, the sort of strawman creation that gamergate advocates accuse their critics of being, those sort of people actually exist on reddit. So do the sort of people who can claim to be involuntarily celibate and not do it ironically. It's a bottomless pit of despair there if you try to find it. Heck, there used to be dedicated subreddits for pictures of underaged girls and creepshots of strangers on the street.

I'm happy that GB SF took a more explicit stance on the issue, so that the mysoginists couldn't hide behind their silence anymore, (falsely) interpreting it as tacit approval.

Most issues are multi-faceted and fairly complex, so it's refreshing to have something as straightforward as this one. Fuck the guys harassing and bullying women online with this sorry "movement".

Being fair, Jeff stance seems to be "of course is shitty, is so obvious that I didn't want to talk about it". He seems to be aware that is a clusterfuck without end of sight if things keep going as they are a going.

regardless of how reasonable your intentions may be, at this point if you hitch your wagon to an unorganized movement that is now literally threatening to murder people they disagree with, you're probably an idiot.

sub_o

regardless of how reasonable your intentions may be, at this point if you hitch your wagon to an unorganized movement that is now literally threatening to murder people they disagree with, you're probably an idiot.

People should just kiss each other on their cheek when they are angry.

Are you angry? Then kiss me on my cheek chu chu chu <3 <3 <3.

Top Bottom