• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Mesoian

I'm really glad that both CBSi websites finally officially said something (great letter from Jeff btw). Not because I've ever doubted any of the guys' integrity but I think that not saying anything was not the best solution.

Yes all the stuff that #GG did is terrible, yes the guys have obviously been against it since the beginning (with reason!). However, I think that the original idea of #GG of opening a discussion about ethic in the industry is a good thing. Keeping that in mind, I think it would be easy for us to take the journalists' silence (not just on GB) as a way to kind of burry the original issue under all the disgusting things that have been said and done in #GG.

I just hope that both sides of the question, fans and journalists, will be able to have a more open discussion about that stuff in the future without it automatically turning into a shit show.

My problem with the whole gamer gate issue is that these people ("These people", that sounds pointed...but these people) think that we weren't already looking at the industry with a magnifying glass and a fine tooth come when it comes to who's giving money where when and why. We turned the idea into jokes, we lampooned the situation, we may not have stood on the necks of the people who were guilty of doing things that were a little shady, but we always pointed a big spotlight on those involved when it happened.

I mean seriously, how many podcasts involve Jeff or Brad or Vinny talking about going to sleazy press shows or the struggles of writing reviews under the duress of management? They're like old war stories told around the fire. And gamergate comes along and says "No one's talking about it, thus everyone's in on it, so we're going to turn up the heat," and that's not an honest statement.

That's what burns me up about this whole thing; the idea that gamergate doesn't think that we, their peers, are paying enough attention to the situation when they're sitting in the same boat that we are and looking at things from the exact same vantage point, as if we're the dumb ones because we couldn't see the smoke of the fire that's not actually there.

Fjolle

I think the problem is that many people really don't see that as the "original idea" of it at all, especially considering some of the stuff that's come out.

I admit that I haven't really followed it much after the Quinn stuff, but that "idea" just seem like a lame excuse for what they are doing. If ethics really was a big problem for gaming journalists it would warrant another movement that had nothing to do with women.

Mesoian

I admit that I haven't really followed it much after the Quinn stuff, but that "idea" just seem like a lame excuse for what they are doing. If ethics really was a big problem for gaming journalists it would warrant another movement that had nothing to do with women.

If ethics were really the problem, there would be two dozen stories that they could shine a gigantic spotlight on that happened LAST WEEK and say "see, here's what we're talking about!" But instead they decide to discredit Zoe Quinn's educational papers and play it off as "fact checking".

::sigh:: I gotta stay out of the gamergate thread, it just makes me mad.

The whole gamergate thing is one of the most confusing stories I've ever read. I mean each time I think I understand what's going on, I just get confused again. I didn't really understand any of what Jeff was saying. All I got from it was "don't feed the trolls." I've never even heard of Zoe Quinn. Is she somehow related to that Sarkeesian person who had the kickstarter about exposing sexism in video games?

Xeteh

The whole gamergate thing is one of the most confusing stories I've ever read. I mean each time I think I understand what's going on, I just get confused again. I didn't really understand any of what Jeff was saying. All I got from it was "don't feed the trolls." I've never even heard of Zoe Quinn. Is she somehow related to that Sarkeesian person who had the kickstarter about exposing sexism in video games?

She's a game developer, she made Depression Quest. She's shown up on GB stuff a handful of times.

She's a game developer, she made Depression Quest. She's shown up on GB stuff a handful of times.

I've never heard of that game either. But since it's video game fans, I can only assume somebody blew something way out of proportion and everybody attacked everybody else over it.

daydream

Banned
That's what burns me up about this whole thing; the idea that gamergate doesn't think that we, their peers, are paying enough attention to the situation when they're sitting in the same boat that we are and looking at things from the exact same vantage point, as if we're the dumb ones because we couldn't see the smoke of the fire that's not actually there.

That's kinda par for the course with delusional conspiracy theorists, I would think. And with the way they identify themselves, even taking GG out of the equation, I think Patrick's idea that this will end in a "culture split" is not too far-fetched, at all.

Jeff's letter is exactly the kind of nuanced, honest, and sane response that will no doubt get torn apart by both sides because he wasn't completely lockstep with either ideology.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Will they write another one in a couple of months, cause GG isn't gonna blow over anytime soon.

I'm hoping this means that Patrick will report more on the news about the issue at the very least.

As much as speaking out won't change any minds, for people who feel marginalized, it makes them feel better if they can visibly see that they have support from people outside of their immediate group.

Flandy

No one asked for this.

Persona 4 Golden Endurance Run with Dan and Brad.

I would buy a 1 year Premium subscription if this happened. Has Brad played P4, P4G, or watch the ER?
It's not happening :(

Why didn't GB ever get a modded Vita with HDMI out? There's a handful of channels (including at least one gaffer) on youtube that upload direct capture videos from Vita.

I would buy a 1 year Premium subscription if this happened. Has Brad played P4, P4G, or watch the ER?

Why didn't GB ever get a modded Vita with HDMI out? There's a handful of channels (including at least one gaffer) on youtube that upload direct capture videos from Vita.

Jeff did, but the capture apparently sucks.

Aerocrane

Jeff bought one, but he felt that the quality of the video wasn't worth the effort of making it work with their equipment.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I remember Brad kept saying he was saving P4G for a flight that would never happen. lol

You know, I actually took some ghetto P4G footage as well, since no one had uploaded the
second onsen
scene at the time and any of the Ai S-link stuff. Funny enough, I met the other GAFfer who uploaded footage of the other S-links. lol

tchocky

I remember Brad kept saying he was saving P4G for a flight that would never happen. lol

You know, I actually took some ghetto P4G footage as well, since no one had uploaded the
second onsen
scene at the time and any of the Ai S-link stuff. Funny enough, I met the other GAFfer who uploaded footage of the other S-links. lol

He was saving a 100 hour jrpg for a flight, where was he going Mars?

...Better than I thought it'd be. Way to go, guys.

I found this bit particularly poignant:

I thought that bit dragged the whole thing down. Felt very defensive of GB's attitude so far. I don't blame Jeff for saying that, seeing as his pride and joy was dragged through the mud on national TV, but come on. We all know what the idea was about staying quiet; it just wasn't really working out for you. Hence the letter.

Hence the otherwise incredibly welcome and on-point letter.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He was saving a 100 hour jrpg for a flight, where was he going Mars?
I remember he was saying how he was a "portable gaming squirrel" who wanted to save portable games for the times when he couldn't play games any other way. But yeah, P4G isn't something you can really play in short bursts. lol

I am glad Jeff touched on the silent voices. GG sounds like a big confusing mess of poopy people being poopy. Many people would rather not talk about poopy topics.

Flandy

Jeff did, but the capture apparently sucks.

Jeff bought one, but he felt that the quality of the video wasn't worth the effort of making it work with their equipment.

I thought the captures on youtube looked fine, but whatever.

second onsen

Brad
Dan
Do it
Please

It's not happening ;__;

daydream

Banned
So, if you guys could clear up one thing for me, that'd be swell. Someone in the discussion thread felt their side underrepresented by the games media and asked/asks Jeff a bunch of questions, one of which goes:

Why is it okay that seven articles were published on the same day saying gamers are dead?

I'm not familiar with the minutiae of GG. Is this really a thing people get riled up over? Because that just suggests to me (or confirms, rather) that they lack the intellectual capacity to.. understand anything, basically. It's tragic that literal idiots are wrecking this much havoc.

Nerokis

Damn, that was an impressive response.

Even though this has only been going on for a couple months, the history of GamerGate is still easily forgotten, and it's good he traced it. He did a great job talking to multiple audiences at once. He effectively framed how the "discussion" unfolded, and particularly how it became so politicized. And that last paragraph was especially poignant, I think, giving some direction to how people should handle all this going forward.

In general, it felt like one of those "show a unique grasp on the details with a nuanced presentation of events, while rising above the immediate situation and pointing toward the bigger picture" sort of balancing acts, and he pulled it off very well. Didn't Jeff joke about being the mayor of a city at some point during the last Bombcast? Maybe he actually does have political aspirations? :p

Seriously, though, good stuff.

Damn, that was an impressive response.

In general, it felt like one of those "show a unique grasp on the details with a nuanced presentation of events, while rising above the immediate situation and pointing toward the bigger picture" sort of balancing acts, and he pulled it off very well. Didn't Jeff joke about being the mayor of a city at some point during the last Bombcast? Maybe he actually does have political aspirations? :p

Seriously, though, good stuff.

LEGALIZE EVERYTHING! ANIME IS FOR JERKS!

So, if you guys could clear up one thing for me, that'd be swell. Someone in the discussion thread felt their side underrepresented by the games media and asked/asks Jeff a bunch of questions, one of which goes:

I'm not familiar with the minutiae of GG. Is this really a thing people get riled up over? Because that just suggests to me (or confirms, rather) that they lack the intellectual capacity to.. understand anything, basically. It's tragic that literal idiots are wrecking this much havoc.

One of their complaints is the belief that their is collusion among the industry to maintain a party line, when all of those "gamers are dead" articles popped up, especially with the incredibly incendiary language by some, they seized upon that.

tchocky

The worst thing is it was not 7 articles really it was 3 and a bunch of others referencing or linking the original 3. Of those 3 I think only 2 were on game sites the other being a personal blog. In the GamerGate thread USGamer journalist MHWilliams went through them all with timelines.

popo

I thought the captures on youtube looked fine, but whatever.

It's not happening ;__;

Theirs might work, Jeff's didn't. It could have been faulty. Tech could have gotten better. Either way Jeff was done throwing money at it. He tried again buying a japanese vita TV - only to find it useless until this week.

I'm glad it's laid out there in no uncertain terms where GB stands. Not because I had any doubt but because I was sick of people using their silence and the silence of others to suggest that some of them may actually agree with the GG horseshit.

At least the second half of this thread won't be done in 19 days like the first half.

Or will it...?

I'm proud of Jeff's response tonight. Reddit et al is a tiny ripple in the internet pond, relatively speaking. Especially obscure sub-reddits.

Patryn

So.... black screen right now for UPF? Technical issues?

And the community move is something that was inevitable. Let's just deal.

But someone should make an ExtraLife thread when that happens in Gaming.

I don't have a strong opinion on the move to Community. I've always used my Control Panel to find the thread anyway. One things for sure, though, it's best to accept it and not resist it because there are worse fates for big threads like this than ending up in the Community Forum.

So.... black screen right now for UPF? Technical issues?

And the community move is something that was inevitable. Let's just deal.

But someone should make an ExtraLife thread when that happens in Gaming.

There should just be an Extra Life thread anyway, so, you know, you could just use that I guess

making a special thread for the GB stuff might be taking the piss, idk

Zaph

QTSE0V8.gif

Jokes aside, as much as I think this thread should be in Community, it would have been nice for a mod to drop in and give an official head's up.

But, as Emcee mentioned a while back, for whatever reason we're not well liked even if we are one of the most civil and well behaved threads on GAF.

QTSE0V8.gif

But joking aside, as much as I think this thread should be in Community, it would have been nice for a mod to drop in and give an official head's up.

But, as Emcee mentioned a while back, for whatever reason we're not well liked even if we're one of the most civil and well behaved threads on GAF.

Weekend thread takes us down from the inside.

Top Bottom