• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Myggen

Can't we just go back to sending death threats because of review scores and not because of gender or political beliefs?

Hehe, I remember Jeff talking about the emails he got back in the day. IIRC Sega fans were always the worst. Ah well, more innocent times.

Also, shouldn't have looked at the comments under GS' article on this...

Borderlands for me is the most successful fusion of diablo style loot with actually fun FPS mechanics.

Despite all its flaws, I enjoyed Destiny more than any Borderlands game. The core gameplay and shooting is just vastly superior, and Borderlands mission design is just as boring and repetitive and Destiny's. And this is one comparison where Destiny is actually better off in terms of writing, Destiny's nothing is better than the cringeworthy attempts at humor in Borderlands.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just really don't find that FPS games tie as well to the RPG format as action melee/spell games like Diablo do. All those dice rolls and levels just triggers my 'fuck this bullet sponge' part of my brain.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Can't really comment on destiny, especially the feel of the gameplay seeing that I haven't played it yet, but from what I've read up on it doesn't have what I like about borderlands, which is the actual variety of the guns (the unique weapons seem far more unique than destiny's from what I've seen), actual character classes with skills that matter (destiny's skill and skill-tree system look really boring), and the art. Destiny look really nice but I prefer the boot-scrappy sci-fi to space fantasy, but that's just preference really, and doesn't even really matter seeing that I like destiny's art too.

I don't doubt it that it shoots better but honestly the shooting is the thing I care the least about. I'm not a big fan of FPS's in the first place so as long as I can aim properly I find it very hard to differentiate what makes something "feel" better. Which is why it always amuses me when jeff and brad talk about the "feel" of a shooting game. I find enjoyment mostly in seeing how the unique weapons shoot.

Also regarding the mission design, while I agree that it is not very varied, I find that is inherently part of diablo-style games anyway. From what I've read and heard discussed is that unlike destiny, which makes you back-track to the same areas a lot, borderlands is very good at bringing you through different areas in the main storyline, which I think is something Jeff noted when talking about the mission design of destiny vs diablo.

Myggen

B0MqbttCAAAOjn9.jpg:large

Starcraft 2 tnt brad vs norm is underrated. We get to find out will smiths real name brother

I have a question. How did aus gaf end up in gaming while brit gaf is in off topic?

Borderlands done FPS with loot right, plus an interesting backstory and meaningful charaters, Anthony Burch's writing done a lot of good will for the series.

Fevaweva

Watching Jeff play Persona 4 Golden reminds me that I really must play Persona 4 one day. I have the original on PS2 and never got around to playing it

Meh, I have seen
(aka Imagine)
worse.
That GBXLoveLive crossover is not going to writte itself.

Borderlands done FPS with loot right, plus an interesting backstory and meaningful charaters, Anthony Burch's writing done a lot of good will for the series.

Anthony Burch is pretty good for what the series wants to be. But still, I cannot shake the feeling that Handsome Jack whole stick was that he is not supposed to have reedming qualities. He did just writte the basic outline of PreSequel, didn't it?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Question on Borderlands since that was a point of discussion earlier, what made the first game spark off so well that they've turned it into a franchise? I played 1 and 2 and the character chatter is pretty amusing at times, but I don't think I ever really "felt" it.

Everyone else ran away from Modern Warfare 2 so it's all that was left to buy that year. And it has co-op.

Rapstah

Hey, remember that time they were playing Starhawk (?) on TNT and they had this weird Sony community manager there who spent the entire time spouting GB memes like he had really studied the community before he came on there? Is there a less explained awkward GB incident?

Jeff falling off the counter in the background of the olympic games stream doesn't count.

Myggen

Hey, remember that time they were playing Starhawk (?) on TNT and they had this weird Sony community manager there who spent the entire time spouting GB memes like he had really studied the community before he came on there? Is there a less explained awkward GB incident?

I have to check that one out, sounds amazing.

Jeff falling off the counter in the background of the olympic games stream doesn't count.

I dont think that was Starhawk. I remember that TNT was actually pretty great.

If you want awkward and unexplained I would point you to pretty much every musical segment that every happened on the Big Live Live Show Live that wasnt that guy with the 12 string bass.

Who found those shitty bands? I guess its SF so everyone has to be friends with someone with a band?

Zaph

I knowwww...its just the fact that it is a 60+ hour game (a conservative guesstimate) puts me off. Especially since I have a huge backlog and a job.

One day. ONE DAY!

So many games I now put into that "one day" category, I wonder if that day won't be until retirement.

God I miss having the summers off.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
About the P4G segment on UPF:

That was great. All the little details for people that know the story/watched the endurance run are great.

"You can choose the name, but there's only one right option really"
Jeff shaking his head when you shake hands with the gas station dude.
His complete surprise when the new content showed up (same as mine, as I never even saw P4G)
His "now this is the intro i'm looking for.. that other one, I don't know" (again, same reaction here).
I didn't even notice the "it's been a long time" answer to Dojima, only saw it wen mentioned here.

It still really surprises me that Jeff likes Persona 4 specifically so much and every time he talks about it to somebody else, he tries to highlight how this game is different from regular RPGs, mostly story-wise.

Which is also funny because he doesn't really like Persona 3, since it's basically the same game with the same story twists, only in a different setting and worse mechanics.

I really need to play more Persona 3, as I'm at the point of the story that things start to branch out.

Myggen

I must have a bunch of Pokemon pogs in a box somewhere.

I would never part with my Pokemon possessions, though.

My parents still have my huge pog collection somewhere, I think. Need to dig those up again for nostalgia. Same with my basketball cards, need to take a look at all those Patrick Ewing cards again!

I must have a bunch of Pokemon pogs in a box somewhere.

I would never part with my Pokemon possessions, though.

I've got every holographic card I ever got in a Pokemon licensed card collecting book.

A ~12in tall Lugia figure that makes the sound/song from the 2000 movie.

My Red Gyarados and Substitute plush from my partner.

And everything else in a massive storage bin in my closet.

Zaph

Fucking hell, that latest "question" on Jeff's tumblr....

The internet is full of scum and it'll never, ever change. I'm kickstarting Internet 2.

justjim89

"Yo, your best friend who passed away tragically that I didn't know personally in any capacity would be really disappointed in you denouncing a bunch of manbabies who are aimlessly bitching at best and psychopathic misogynists at worst, man who has wronged me in no way."

Go die in a fire, for real. I'm glad Jeff didn't seem fazed by it but fuck that guy and anyone who's brought up Ryan in this whole debacle.

Top Bottom