• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Fucking shit these delusional GamerGate idiots need to go away, already.

Jeff took it in stride but seeing this straight up made me mad.

That is an exceptionally horrible example of what people have been saying about people like Jeff and other known gaming personalities when they were silent about this stuff. As long as their position on GG wasn't explicit, I saw a lot of people suggesting that they weren't saying anything because they are secretly on the side of GG.

That's why I'm glad it was put out there by Jeff and backed by the whole site in no uncertain terms that this movement is led by hateful manipulators and the ethics facade is just a half assed attempt at legitimizing what started out as making a massive issue out of a single woman's private sex life.

About the P4G segment on UPF:

That was great. All the little details for people that know the story/watched the endurance run are great.

"You can choose the name, but there's only one right option really"
Jeff shaking his head when you shake hands with the gas station dude.
His complete surprise when the new content showed up (same as mine, as I never even saw P4G)
His "now this is the intro i'm looking for.. that other one, I don't know" (again, same reaction here).
I didn't even notice the "it's been a long time" answer to Dojima, only saw it wen mentioned here.

It still really surprises me that Jeff likes Persona 4 specifically so much and every time he talks about it to somebody else, he tries to highlight how this game is different from regular RPGs, mostly story-wise.

Which is also funny because he doesn't really like Persona 3, since it's basically the same game with the same story twists, only in a different setting and worse mechanics.

I really need to play more Persona 3, as I'm at the point of the story that things start to branch out.

Persona 3 was more of a "classic" RPG, which meant it was needlessly long and had a ton of repetitive grind

I actually think the biggest thing P4 did was introduce nighttime jobs and social link missions, because in P3 it was just optimal to grind the dungeon every night, when in P4 you spend more time on the non-combat portions of the game.

I think in general the P4 characters are better than the P3 ones, but Mitsuru is the waifu of forever.

Rapstah

Persona 3 was more of a "classic" RPG, which meant it was needlessly long and had a ton of repetitive grind

I actually think the biggest thing P4 did was introduce nighttime jobs and social link missions, because in P3 it was just optimal to grind the dungeon every night, when in P4 you spend more time on the non-combat portions of the game.

I think in general the P4 characters are better than the P3 ones, but Mitsuru is the waifu of forever.

Grinding the dungeon every night sounds awful. Half the fun of P4 is finding some way to only have to do dungeons on mandatory days so you get more of everything else.

About the P4G segment on UPF:

That was great. All the little details for people that know the story/watched the endurance run are great.

"You can choose the name, but there's only one right option really"
Jeff shaking his head when you shake hands with the gas station dude.
His complete surprise when the new content showed up (same as mine, as I never even saw P4G)
His "now this is the intro i'm looking for.. that other one, I don't know" (again, same reaction here).
I didn't even notice the "it's been a long time" answer to Dojima, only saw it wen mentioned here.

It still really surprises me that Jeff likes Persona 4 specifically so much and every time he talks about it to somebody else, he tries to highlight how this game is different from regular RPGs, mostly story-wise.

Which is also funny because he doesn't really like Persona 3, since it's basically the same game with the same story twists, only in a different setting and worse mechanics.

I really need to play more Persona 3, as I'm at the point of the story that things start to branch out.

Can I get a link to the endurance run? Oh god what am I getting myself into

Xeteh

That is an exceptionally horrible example of what people have been saying about people like Jeff and other known gaming personalities when they were silent about this stuff. As long as their position on GG wasn't explicit, I saw a lot of people suggesting that they weren't saying anything because they are secretly on the side of GG.

That's why I'm glad it was put out there by Jeff and backed by the whole site in no uncertain terms that this movement is led by hateful manipulators and the ethics facade is just a half assed attempt at legitimizing what started out as making a massive issue out of a single woman's private sex life.

I've seen so many people mention that Giantbomb died with Ryan over this stupid GG shit. It just goes to show how detached these people are, I could see Ryan being the loudest over how just crazy and stupid people are being about it. You know damn well he'd have Patrick's back too.

FluxWaveZ

Grinding the dungeon every night sounds awful. Half the fun of P4 is finding some way to only have to do dungeons on mandatory days so you get more of everything else.

I would argue that that's not really the case in Persona 3. Just like Persona 4, you could focus either on grinding or doing other stuff like working on nighttime social links or stat related activities. Tartarus always had certain levels that couldn't be progressed past which wouldn't open up before certain dates (akin to what happens in P4 when you save someone). Like P4, I liked to spend a a few nights powering through Tartarus so that I didn't have to think about it too much later on.

justjim89

I keep trying to watch the P4 Endurance Run, and there are really funny moments now and then, but man it feels like work to get through. I'm somewhere in the 40's I think.

THanks!@

Arguably the best piece of content Giant Bomb has ever produced. Enjoy!

Oooh. Exciting.

You're getting yourself into the best 100 hours of your entire life my friend.

That's quite a commitment..

The ER is pretty slow for the first 10 episodes or so (just like the game, really) but bear with it and you will be rewarded big time. Best GB content.

I'll keep it up in the background~

Welcome to the meat dimension

GOOD THING I LIKE MEAT

Branson

I really want to watch the endurance run but want to play through golden first. Maybe I should do what I did with MGS and play with them.

Bacon

I really want to watch the endurance run but want to play through golden first. Maybe I should do what I did with MGS and play with them.

There are a lot of ways that you can play the game differently than they do - different social links, different activities etc. You could do it either way and have a different experience than them.

FluxWaveZ

Play time was 99 hours 59 minutes

Yeah, which means the Endurance Run naturally lasts longer than that, when you include stuff like the outtake episode, their deaths, main menu idling, etc.

Sorry, was agreeing with you, actually, just pointing out.

Ah, okay. Well, relatedly, the moment where they saw the final time stamp was another great moment of the ER. They thought the timer stops at that point, when it was actually just a big coincidence.

tchocky

Yeah, which means the Endurance Run naturally lasts longer than that, when you include stuff like the outtake episode, their deaths, main menu idling, etc.

Ah, okay. Well, relatedly, the moment where they saw the final time stamp was another great moment of the ER. They thought the timer stops at that point, when it was actually just a big coincidence.

I downloaded the playlist from qlcrew into mediamonkey and it says all the videos come to 99 hours 45 minutes 13 seconds so they must have left the idling between recordings.

FluxWaveZ

I downloaded the playlist from qlcrew into mediamonkey and it says all the videos come to 99 hours 45 minutes 13 seconds so they must have left the idling between recordings.

There were a couple of episodes that they streamed live that I don't think were archived along with those recordings.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
P3 has a better story. And mostly better S.Links.

Everything else is objectively worse.

Better S Links but I definitely preferred the murder mystery story in 4. The overall story was handled better even if the individual character stories in 3 were better.

I also liked the "God dammit, you idiot kids are idiots" lack of total control for your teammates, but I'm fundamentally broken and I understand why most people hate it.

Xeteh

Better S Links but I definitely preferred the murder mystery story in 4. The overall story was handled better even if the individual character stories in 3 were better.

I also liked the "God dammit, you idiot kids are idiots" lack of total control for your teammates, but I'm fundamentally broken and I understand why most people hate it.

The last boss fight was such a pain in 3 for me playing FES. Mitsuru would just be awesome and cast the dumbest spells over and over when she was poisoned. That fight took me so much longer than it had to, it was really the only time in 3 I absolutely hated not having control of my party.

I like 4's tone a lot. That said, 4 drops off after
Adachi is exposed
IMO, whereas 3 builds and builds and builds to one of the most successfully bittersweet endings I've ever seen in a game. Besides MOTHER 3, maybe.

I am planning...

hIA20YO.png

I just need P4G to go on sale (or hit PS+) and it will happen

This will be my 4th time down this hole; (have watch the ER twice, and played the PS2 game once)

Zebetite

Banned
Play time was 99 hours 59 minutes

They also died a number of times and had to reload their save, and it's unclear whether the game timer factors in load times as part of the total time.

It's very easily over 100 hours.

RE: Persona 3, the "optimal" way to play the game is actually to avoid the dungeon as much as possible, or rather to do it in the shortest amount of days that you are able. This opens up your nights to spend maxing the two night-time social links, or otherwise hammering away at your social stats at the arcade (which is the most efficient way to raise them in the entire game). Persona 3 has social links that you can't even start until you've maxed a particular social stat, and you'll never be able to start them all if you spend "every night grinding away in the dungeon."

The problem with Tartarus isn't that you're there every night, it's that Tartarus is so stupid-huge and you feel pressured to do huge chunks of it in very short periods of time. Tartarus has 264 floors and the entirety of P4's dungeons adds up to under 100.

Draxyle

Neo Member
I like 4's tone a lot. That said, 4 drops off after
Adachi is exposed
IMO, whereas 3 builds and builds and builds to one of the most successfully bittersweet endings I've ever seen in a game. Besides MOTHER 3, maybe.

Yea, I love Persona 4, but the ending sequence is what keeps the story from being better than P3's for me. It was just way too many
"It's finally over, oh wait it's actually not!"
for a single game.

Even the Endurance Run sorta loses its steam around that point when you can tell Vinny and Jeff are ready for it to be over already (though it's all still worth going through for its ultimate conclusion of course).

Really? because I heard people in the other thread that Jeff was not "clear enough" or should "denounce more..."

Fucking love Jeff letter

sjack

Banned
P3 has a better story. And mostly better S.Links.

Everything else is objectively worse.

With the exception of Tanaka, Akinari and Misturu, P3 vanilla S. Links were some of the most excruciatingly dull experiences I've had to endure in any JRPG. ESPECIALLY that student council one, as well your idiot friend who's sincerely in love with his teacher and you just want to smack across the face when he goes on and on about it, but can't, because that would take longer for the S. Link to be maxed :/

Really? because I heard people in the other thread that Jeff was not "clear enough" or should "denounce more..."

Fucking love Jeff letter

I think the criticism in other thread you're talking is mostly posters critical of their first approach, which was silence to apparently avoid giving the movement attention. I do think that approach was flawed and I do think the GB crew realized that eventually as well, which is why the letter exists.

Curufinwe

I've seen so many people mention that Giantbomb died with Ryan over this stupid GG shit. It just goes to show how detached these people are, I could see Ryan being the loudest over how just crazy and stupid people are being about it. You know damn well he'd have Patrick's back too.

It doesn't make any sense. Ryan was anti consumer a lot of the time, but never gave any indication he would be pro what GG is.

sjack

Banned
You didn't make mention of this one:

That one's only really worth it if you're playing FES. And while it's all nice and meta at first, you gradually realize that you're spending hours of your free time playing a game where you character's spending his hours of his free time playing a game, whereupon you arrive at the epiphany of just how much you fucked up in life.

That's the problem with situations like this. No matter what you do, it won't be enough for some people.

Is funny and sad seeing how people react in the thread in the Gaming part.

I think the criticism in other thread you're talking is mostly posters critical of their first approach, which was silence to apparently avoid giving the movement attention. I do think that approach was flawed and I do think the GB crew realized that eventually as well, which is why the letter exists.

Read Zia post there. Not wanna link it because I don't want to going to the same cycle after yesterday...

santeesioux

I hope that Dan really liked what he saw of P4G and that will get him to play it, causing the entire Bombcast to be Persona talk. It's totally anime too.

Top Bottom