• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Curufinwe

What the hell happened in the gb forum thread about Jeff's letter?

Brianna Wu is on the first page thanking GB for addressing the issue and by the end of the thread - it is now locked for good - she is totally slating them: rehashing the Tomb Raider GOTY nonsense, complaining that they don't sell t-shirts in women's sizes, accusing them of wrecking careers and asking how Jeff sleeps at night.

e.g.

I am slowly working back through the thread trying to see what caused her change her stance but it is long and hard going.

Whose career did they wreck?

Venfayth

What all is GiantBomb doing for extralife this year? I see on their team page it says 24 hour stream on the 25th, I thought I remember mentioning that they were doing much more though.

Tomb Raider is a boring game, has always been a boring game, and will always be a boring game.

If it's the title anyone chooses to champion, they need to get some perspective.

Myggen

What the hell happened in the gb forum thread about Jeff's letter?

Brianna Wu is on the first page thanking GB for addressing the issue and by the end of the thread - it is now locked for good - she is totally slating them: rehashing the Tomb Raider GOTY nonsense, complaining that they don't sell t-shirts in women's sizes, accusing them of wrecking careers and asking how Jeff sleeps at night.

I am slowly working back through the thread trying to see what caused her change her stance but it is long and hard going.

You have to remember that there's probably a lot of deleted posts, so you won't get the whole picture. I followed the thread semi-closely without posting much, and there was some driveby posting by new accounts that was pretty bad, and a lot of pro and anti-gamergate stuff, as expected. Wu was active in the thread herself so I'm sure she got some shit by various people. I'm pretty sure I know who she's referring to, but bringing that stuff up here again isn't necessary.

Closing the thread was probably because it went absolutely nowhere. Just the usual bickering back and forth.

What all is GiantBomb doing for extralife this year? I see on their team page it says 24 hour stream on the 25th, I thought I remember mentioning that they were doing much more though.

No official word, but most think it's gonna be 72 hours starting Friday next week (Brad solo stream, GBE, and GBW)

Just go with the flow, don't focus on how they play. I remember people almost having strokes in the comment section during that ER because they wanted them TO PLAY THE RIGHT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They get where they need to go.

I'm not gonna get anal about it or anything, I just wanted to know when (if ever) they acknowledged them.

They do eventually but I recall Jeff saying at some point he dislikes casting spells in rpgs that don't do damage on that turn.

Me too, until I started playing Pokemon competitively and realized that doing double damage means ruining everything's lives.

Give it another 50 episodes or so

giphy.gif

Well, now I know.

Brianna Wu was infuriating in that thread. I think a lot of what she says is true and I honestly feel for anyone who has to go through what these women go through from some people but she makes it so hard to support her. Especially when she is constantly on the attack and anyone who calls her on it "just doesnt understand and isnt listening"

You have to remember that there's probably a lot of deleted posts, so you won't get the whole picture. I followed the thread semi-closely without posting much, and there was some driveby posting by new accounts that was pretty bad, and a lot of pro and anti-gamergate stuff, as expected. Wu was active in the thread herself so I'm sure she got some shit by various people. I'm pretty sure I know who she's referring to, but bringing that stuff up here again isn't necessary.

Closing the thread was probably because it went absolutely nowhere. Just the usual bickering back and forth.

Glad I missed that last moments of that thread. Already was taking a toll in me.

Bacon

That Ryan episode was so good lol. I imagine dan would have had a similar reaction to being thrown into the middle of the game like that.

Zaph

Wow, that thread was something else.

I suppose this is what happens when you strive to be an accessible site, people think they can push their luck and tell you what to do with your own publication.

Not saying GB hasn't made a couple missteps, but it's clear so much is being put on their doorstep because they engage people looking for an enemy

edit: and apparently GB destroyed someone's career? Okey dokey.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Forgive me if I'm missing something, which is likely because I couldn't read too much of the last few pages of that thread, but the career wrecking seems to be related to someone not getting a call back for the editor job application?

Wow, that thread was something else.

I suppose this is what happens when you strive to be an accessible site, people think they can push their luck and tell you what to do with your own publication.

Not saying GB hasn't made a couple missteps, but it's clear so much is being put on their doorstep because they engage people looking for an enemy

I agree. Being honest, I was starting to see the "anti-GG" point about "club house" and "call problems"... despite being done in the most toxic way possible. Mades me think Jeff is right in being jaded and quiet about everything only to mantain one sanity.

Forgive me if I'm missing something, which is likely because I couldn't read too much of the last few pages of that thread, but the career wrecking seems to be related to someone not getting a call back for the editor job application?

A lot of her comments seemed to come from the fact that she doesn't separate Giant Bomb the site and staff from its user base so she felt that Giant Bomb and the staff should be apologising and ultimately blamed for the actions of its shittier users.

A lot of her comments seemed to come from the fact that she doesn't separate Giant Bomb the site and staff from its user base so she felt that Giant Bomb and the staff should be apologising and ultimately blamed for the actions of its shittier users.

A argument that to me is still pretty insane. Brad and Rorie seemed to be stressed about it since this blowed up and they tried to open the dialoge without devolve in the usual shit show of the usual shitty users.

Myggen

A argument that to me is still pretty insane. Brad and Rorie seemed to be stressed about it since this blowed up and they tried to open the dialoge without devolve in the usual shit show of the usual shitty users.

It was more about the shitshow on Twitter during and after the whole hiring thing, not so much the current stuff.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Charlie, listen to me. Kill the kid, torch the house, we gotta get outta here.

Oh god there were so many great moments like this in the series. I think I need to watch the whole thing again. The whole bit early on in junes where charlie puts his hand in the tv for the first time, and yosuke starts running around because he needs to pee, had me laughing so hard the first time I watched it.

Curufinwe

Their reaction to Teddie
coming out of the TV
was amazing.

When I played P4G and got up to that bit, I put down the game and rewatched that episode of the ER.

popo

I read enough of that thread now. Too depressing. From what I gathered, discussions were pretty civil until about 10 pages from the end and then the hiring shit got brought up again. Wu and Samantha Allen are good friends and she blames the "community" for threatening her over twitter (the career wrecking mentioned) and holds the staff (mainly Jeff) responsible for not offering a direct apology and writing that first Editor's Letter sooner.

The sad thing is that I am part of the "silent but not complicit"section that Jeff mentioned and got flak for. I want nothing to do with GG - not just the extreme minority - the whole thing, but really get put off by aggressive supporters on the other side like Wu.

Is it wrong that I just want to play games and bullshit about games on message boards? A little selfish maybe, but does that make me a bad person? I am sympathetic to the cause of women's rights but because I am not politicised, I am part of the problem? Because I like watching dumb videos I am suddenly part of the gb community and responsible for every bad thing other people, who happen to also watch said dumb videos, does? Is that not like saying everyone who visits youtube or facebook is responsible for the comments?

-------

On a lighter note, Rorie hates the C Word. He went off on someone using it and it is banned from the GB forums. Anyone caught using it should be reported immediatley.. Vinny is going to be so pissed :p

Alucrid

Banned
anyone have a link to that....thing...that someone made where you could toss it into MPC and have it run all the episodes for the p4 er?

K.Sabot

-------

On a lighter note, Rorie hates the C Word. He went off on someone using it and it is banned from the GB forums. Anyone caught using it should be reported immediatley.. Vinny is going to be so pissed :p

Oh you mean cunt? Because that's totally a word we're allowed to use on these forums as of sometimes last year when Evilore made a sticky with the title "Off-topic's a den of cunts". I mean, I guess it's their right to prevent that type of language on their site.

Feels kind of weird that GAF is more free than GiantBomb now.

dat IGN jab

:)

"Cunt" isn't allowed, but "dick" and "asshole" are ?

dat double-standard

Well, I think YouTube, Twitter and Facebook can step up in their game to have better moderation policies... because they giants and have large staff that is inexcusable that a lot of shit is still ignored.

Top Bottom