• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

K.Sabot

Well, I think YouTube, Twitter and Facebook can step up in their game to have better moderation policies... because they giants and have large staff that is inexcusable that a lot of shit is still ignored.

Honestly, I see more moderation from 4chan than I do on those sites. 4chan has banned GG threads.

Honestly, I see more moderation from 4chan than I do on those sites. 4chan has banned GG threads.

Yeah, 4chan is pretty lenient, but when they moderate something, they moderate as good as GAF.

On a side note, on episode 3 of the Persona 4 run, Jeffs reaction to Morooka is great.

tchocky

On a lighter note, Rorie hates the C Word. He went off on someone using it and it is banned from the GB forums. Anyone caught using it should be reported immediatley.. Vinny is going to be so pissed :p

I'm not really that surprised, I've always felt Rorie was the biggest Feminist of the group I remember an old video where they were sent some fantasy statue or something and Rorie looked at the female character on it and his reaction was just "ugh". It has always made me feel even worse for him that he has to sort out all that garbage rather than someone who it doesn't really bother but still knows to get rid of it.

popo

dat IGN jab

:)

"Cunt" isn't allowed, but "dick" and "asshole" are ?

dat double-standard

On a serious note. People are defending it with the argument "it is totally okay in the UK and most of Europe". They have not met any of my ex-girlfriends. I remember one of them belting me about the head once for yelling it at another motorist. It is one of those words - in some respects like the N word - that changes drastically based on context, who is saying it to whom and the tone they use doing so. It is cute how some Americans are horrified by it though. Even more horrified than I am when they pronounce Twat as Twot.

4chan has become more strictier about a lot of things in recent years. There was a OP article somewhere that pointed out that is a funny thing that is happeniing given how everyone knows about 4chan shitty reputation but Moot is stilll invited to TED talks and tech related events.

Follow the money...

Myggen

4chan has become more strictier about a lot of things in recent years. There was a OP article somewhere that pointed out that is a funny thing that is happeniing given how everyone knows about 4chan shitty reputation but Moot is stilll invited to TED talks and tech related events.

Follow the money...

The extreme scrutiny in the media of 4chan because of some high profile stuff happening there has helped in that regard, I think. Still, 4chan is still pretty much a den of evil :p

edit: Goddamnit, now I've started watching the P4 ER again because of all the talk in this thread.

Bacon

The extreme scrutiny in the media of 4chan because of some high profile stuff happening there has helped in that regard, I think. Still, 4chan is still pretty much a den of evil :p

The way they throw around fa**ot likes it's meaningless keeps me from visiting that site.

Myggen

The way they throw around fa**ot likes it's meaningless keeps me from visiting that site.

Oh yeah, there's a lot of stuff that keeps me from visiting that site regularly. As a teenager I visited 4chan probably daily, and I'm sure I posted some fucking dumb stuff there. wouldn't dream of posting there again though. Same goes for the nasty part of Reddit.

How come GameSpot isn't a "team" for Extra Life? GB has over 200 streamers. Rooster Teeth has over 2000. Seems like Danny is missing a trick. Personally, I would have prefered a CBSi all-star stream.

Well, the GB team was started by the community. The site has nothing to do with it except for streaming under that team. i'm not sure how many would join a GS team.

popo

How come GameSpot isn't a "team" for Extra Life? GB has over 200 streamers. Rooster Teeth has over 2000. Seems like Danny is missing a trick. Personally, I would have prefered a CBSi all-star stream.

BearPawB

Banned
It really does feel like some people just have an axe to grind with GB.
From my experience it is one of the more chill communities out there.

And you have patrick and alex who tend to be fairly outspoken on issues. But maybe i'm just blind to it? Just feels weird that apparently a community that people need to have discussions with over other groups. This is turning into #notallgamingwebsitecommunities and I don't really mean it that way. But it isn't like the GB forums are some sort of hive of GG villany.

KingKong

And you have patrick and alex who tend to be fairly outspoken on issues. But maybe i'm just blind to it? Just feels weird that apparently a community that people need to have discussions with over other groups. This is turning into #notallgamingwebsitecommunities and I don't really mean it that way. But it isn't like the GB forums are some sort of hive of GG villany.

Yes, we can always count on Alex for some kind of vague tweets about how shitty things are

popo

If it weren't for football GAF and AusGAF, cunt would still be banned here, too. And I doubt any normal people would actually miss it.

It isn't exactly a pleasant or subtle swear. People just don't like to be told they can't do something.

I always assumed it you did use it on GB then it would get moderated. It just happens to be funny because of Vinny. I wonder if Rorie even knew it was a site joke.

Myggen

Well, my take on it is that the whole twitter bullshit over the hiring has colored a some people's views on the GB community, and the site (and sometimes thinking of the two as one big thing). No doubt some people from the community participated in that bullshit, and so did a lot of fucking assholes from Reddit, 4chan and the likes. That's still in the back of the head of a lot of people. In general I think that the GB forums are now well-moderated compared to most forums that aren't GAF, but there's still a lot of pro-GG people there (as there is everywhere), and people can also just create accounts in no time and post vile shit.

Having followed the forum thread created to discuss the Letter From the Editor, I didn't see much harassment. The majority agreed with Jeff, and there was also a lot of people who didn't understand what the big deal was, and some people who supports GG. I wouldn't say that things got very ugly when the whole hiring stuff was brought up in the last few pages, but it's clear that a lot of people feel they need to defend GB even though Jeff has said that they don't need defending. Even Wu seems to believe that it was more "a resistance to listening" (quote from her Twitter) than outright hostility.

You only need to go to GS and the comments under their letter from the editor to see a truly vile community.

tchocky

During the hiring scandal I saw numerous women say that most of the abuse they have received has been from the GB community, a couple of the past guests of the morning show have said they receive insults/threats anytime the appear on gb content. I believe Emcee has said in past threads he has noticed many times he has seen people been out of line on gaf and when he looks at their avatar it's related to gb. So I think numerous incidents have come together to give the gb community a bad reputation.

Myggen

During the hiring scandal I saw numerous women say that most of the abuse they have received has been from the GB community, a couple of the past guests of the morning show have said they receive insults/threats anytime the appear on gb content. I believe Emcee has said in past threads he has noticed many times he has seen people been out of line on gaf and when he looks at their avatar it's related to gb. So I think numerous incidents have come together to give the gb community a bad reputation.

Which guests have said that? I seem to remember Patrick saying that that hadn't been a big problem, but I might be misremembering. And yeah, the hiring scandal was a perfect storm of the shitty part of the GB community and the whole thing blowing the fuck up on the MRA parts of Reddit and 4chan, ugh.

tchocky

Which guests have said that? I seem to remember Patrick saying that that hadn't been a big problem, but I might be misremembering.

I can't remember who it was but Patrick/Rorie asked them for more details as they try to delete everything they see and she said it was on twitter and in comment sections of videos after pretty much every appearance.

Myggen

I can't remember who it was but Patrick/Rorie asked them for more details as they try to delete everything they see and she said it was on twitter and in comment sections of videos after pretty much every appearance.

Okay, that's a shame. You can also see the more nasty part of the GB community downvoting everything with Patrick in it on YT, posting shitty comments there etc.

I'm British (and male) so naturally I'm conditioned to not really care that much about the word. And I generally don't think any words without a specific prejudicial meaning should be gotten rid of.

You probably shouldn't be using it though. Unless you're in comedy. Or a fight, I guess.

kcp12304

Banned
I correct me if I'm wrong but Zoe Quinn was getting some shit after the Bombin' the A.M. went up (or was it something else?). Basically, it was a prelude to things to come. She became the object of harassment that started this whole bullshit because she already had a target on her back.

Myggen

I correct me if I'm wrong but Zoe Quinn was getting some shit after the Bombin' the A.M. went up (or was it something else?). Basically, it was a prelude to things to come. She became the object of harassment that started this whole bullshit because she already had a target on her back.

I don't think anything on Bombin' was a prelude to this shit. She was already a big object of hate among the MRA people because of Depression Quest and stuff around that. Basically, Zoe has been harassed for as long as she's been on Twitter, probably longer than that.

I think they can control the comments section of their own site. But is tricky with stuff like YT. Hell, I think even 4chan gets GB threads when there is big streams

I remeber she was already a pretty big target before she got close to GB

kcp12304

Banned
I don't think anything on Bombin' was a prelude to this shit. She was already a big object of hate among the MRA people because of Depression Quest and stuff around that.

You're right. I worded that wrong. It was a sign for me at least. It's sad to see how people can be fans of GB and engage in that sort of behavior. (Edit) It pops up when certain people show up on the site or on an E3 stream. I turned the chat off during E3 and I never had to do that.

Myggen

You're right. I worded that wrong. It's sad to see how people can be fans of GB and engage in that sort of behavior.

Very much agree there. They've been a lot better about weeding those people out of the community the last few months, but the GB community is huge and isn't just on the site itself.

And yes, especially on bigger streams where there's a lot of people watching, the chat can turn nasty. I very rarely look at the chat on GB or on any other site because of it.

Is there any reason why people keep referring to it as the "hiring scandal?" I get that the things Dan does can, at times, be "scandalous" but there was zero impropriety or shady behavior during the recent Giant Bomb hirings.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think it's a pretty useful and dynamic word. That horrible criminal is one. That politician on tv is one. My friend who just scored a goal against me in fifa is one. That hex key that just rounded out a bolt on my bike is one. When I fucked up and did something stupid, I'm one.

Myggen

Is there any reason why people keep referring to it as the "hiring scandal?" I get that the things Dan does can, at times, be "scandalous" but there was zero impropriety or shady behavior during the recent Giant Bomb hirings.

The scandal was the stuff on Twitter, people getting harassed in the name of GB because they talked about the hiring in a negative way. No matter what your opinion on the hiring was, that was some sad bullshit. That's what Jeff's first Letter From the Editor was about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

IIRC, they didn't even meet their relatively modest goal last year. And they streamed for like 3 days or something.

I think some people assume that Dan had the job already and they just needed to make it an open process because of CBSi rules/laws/etc.

Curufinwe

It's fine if GB wants to ban it, but it has its place elsewhere.

There's no cure for being a cunt has to be the funniest line in Game of Thrones.

hamchan

Because Giant Bomb didn't have enough women on their E3 panels, a few people on twitter got upset when they hired two white males as their new editors. Which then led to a bunch of arguing and horrible stuff from both sides etc. So now it's a scandal.

Myggen

Because Giant Bomb didn't have enough women on their E3 panels, a few people on twitter got upset when they hired two white males as their new editors. Which then led to a bunch of arguing and horrible stuff from both sides etc. So now it's a scandal.

The circle of the internet!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Since when is the giant bomb thread in community?

PBalfredo

Goddamnit, now I've started watching the P4 ER again because of all the talk in this thread.

Same here. I'm up to part 28 and they just got wiped out by Contrarian King.

Though the first time I watched the ER was right before P4A came out, and I hope to buy P4U soon, so maybe I should just embrace the ER to get me hyped for P4U.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The circle of the internet!

tumblr_mowjwsq0xQ1snfsquo1_400.gif

Top Bottom