• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

I also personally think the changes to the music they made in the P1 PSP remake were terrible.

Seriously, the battle theme is the worst. Compare this with this.

I never played the original. Even the remake seems pretty rough; I've never played more than an hour or two.

P3P's cutscenes all being talking heads does make some story moments lose some impact, but basically everything else is better, so it is probably for the best.

I'm not sure it's the ideal way to play the game the first time, but I'd agree it's probably the best version overall.

The Answer is better off experienced through youtube anyway, P3P is the way to go.

The Answer is an extremely grindy dungeon crawl with no social linking and a story that feels like it's a direct-to-dvd followup to P3. I'd argue to never bother with it, but i think it's been made canon since it's referenced in the P4 Arena games (which i haven't played).

But really, if you need to experience it then, yeah, youtube it and fast forward past the dungeon sections. It's not worth your time.

I also personally think the changes to the music they made in the P1 PSP remake were terrible.

Seriously, the battle theme is the worst. Compare this with this.

The original track doesn't feel like a battle theme at all; more like a mid-boss theme. On top of that, I don't like it. The remake music sounds better for me.

Patryn

The Answer is an extremely grindy dungeon crawl with no social linking and a story that feels like it's a direct-to-dvd followup to P3. I'd argue to never bother with it, but i think it's been made canon since it's reference in the P4 Arena games (which i haven't played).

But really, if you need to experience it then, yeah, youtube it and fast forward past the dungeon sections. It's not worth your time.

If you enjoy the combat of Persona 3, it is worth playing. My wife is currently playing through it and she's enjoying the higher difficulty and more strategic bosses.

Wow. That is quite a drop in quality. The original battle theme sounds like classic Persona music, and the second one...well, this YouTube comment sums it up nicely:

You have them backwards. The one you call "shitty mortal kombat" is the original. It's also got the classic Persona music sound ( i.e. what Persona sounded like for 1, Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment).

The PSP update tried to make it sound more like Persona 3 and 4, aka the new sound of Persona.

Curufinwe

lvuHlMB.gif

Mz5PZE6.gif

Awesome, thanks.

You have them backwards. The one you call "shitty mortal kombat" is the original. It's also got the classic Persona music sound ( i.e. what Persona sounded like for 1, Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment).

The PSP update tried to make it sound more like Persona 3 and 4, aka the new sound of Persona.

The first link is the new one, the second is the original.

You know, I had a feeling I mixed them up when I was typing that comment. Put me on the side that favors the remake then.

Patryn

Things I learned today: Apparently only I have taste.
Seriously, guys? The new one sounds like shitty intro music. Especially when they get to the singing.

Seriously, guys? The new one sounds like shitty intro music. Especially when they get to the singing.

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I have only played Persona 3 and 4 and absolutely adore those soundtracks.

The singing part isn't good, that's true, but the song is still better than the original.

The boss theme of the remake is also balls-out awesome.

edit: the school music is also much better in the remake.

Original: Educational Institution

Remake: School Days

Seriously, School Days is so upbeat and cheerful. I can't understand anyone not liking it.

edit 2:
also, if you want to have the best experience with Persona 3 then follow this. Maybe someday we'll get a definitive version of P3, but until then this is the best means to getting the full experience.

Stopping playing the game and loading up a video of a cutscene every X or so minutes ? That is far from being the "best experience" with Persona 3, and it's hardly a good experience at all.

Stopping playing the game and loading up a video of a cutscene every X or so minutes ? That is far from being the "best experience" with Persona 3, and it's hardly a good experience at all.

By best, i meant the most complete experience. It has the gameplay updates from P3P without losing the cutscenes from P3FES. It's the best of both worlds, and if you're playing it at home (which is how one would play P3FES anyway and it's not that crazy of a thing to be doing with the PSTV now available in NA to make P3P more of a home experience) you might as well finish the game and feel as if you didn't miss a thing. It's not the most ideal way of going about it, but you won't feel like you're getting a lesser experience with P3P this way.

Nishastra

Banned
I love most of the remake music, and I'm someone who played Persona 1 and 2 on PSX back in the day :p

All this Persona talk is making me want to finally buckle down and get through 3.

By best, i meant the most complete experience. It has the gameplay updates from P3P without losing the cutscenes from P3FES. It's the best of both worlds, and if you're playing it at home (which is how one would play P3FES anyway and it's not that crazy of a thing to be doing with the PSTV now available in NA to make P3P more of a home experience). It's not the most ideal way of going about it, but you won't feel like you're getting a lesser experience with P3P this way.

It may be more complete, but I don't think it would make a more enjoyable experience. Stopping playing to load up a video on the Internet every now and then during the 80 hours or so it takes to beat the game might very well prove to be irritating and frustrating to the extent that it would sour the whole experience. I don't think the benefit of watching those complete cutscenes outweigh the drawbacks coming with its method.

Curufinwe

It may be more complete, but I don't think it would make a more enjoyable experience. Stopping playing to load up a video on the Internet every now and then during the 80 hours or so it takes to beat the game might very well prove to be irritating and frustrating to the extent that it would sour the whole experience. I don't think the benefit of watching those complete cutscenes outweigh the drawbacks coming with its method.

Those cutscenes add a lot to the experience and to the storytelling. The lack of them in P3P makes the story hard to follow if you haven't played P3 or FES, and kind of ruins the ending.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
P3P is fine. I say this as someone who completed fes too. You don't need to go crazy manufacturing some solution for a complete experience. Just enjoy each game as its own unique take.

I don't think the cutscenes really add that much to the experience honestly.

FluxWaveZ

P3P lacks moments like this:
Immediately inferior.

It's not just about the cutscenes; it's about the immersion (seriously) and having a sense of presence in the world. Can you imagine Persona 4 given the P3P treatment? Moments like the "Miss" Yasogami Pageant, the camping trip, pulling Teddie's head off... all lost because of the VN treatment? That's what happened with P3 -> P3P.

Atlus needs to fucking remake this game Golden-style. Everyone wants it, including me.

Not sure everyone wants a fourth release of Persona 3. I don't.

Seeing people going to such length to concoct a more "perfect" experience just proves my earlier statement:

Atlus needs to fucking remake this game Golden-style. Everyone wants it, including me.

Besides, what prevents me from going back to P3, either FES or P3P, is not the lack of cutscenes in the latter or the absence of party control in the former; it's the shitty randomized skill inheritence when fusing personae. I just can't stand it anymore. It was annoying in P3, annoying in P4 and they finally fixed it with Golden. After tasting the sweetness of frustration-free fusing, there is simply no going back. If Persona 5 goes back to randomized inheritance, it will be a grave mistake.

Seeing people going to such length to concoct a more "perfect" experience just proves my earlier statement:

With the big push that's going on with the P3 movies, now is the time. It almost seems like it is inevitable, but i wouldn't be shocked if they're holding it back from being announced so that they can finish putting out Fabula Nova Crystallis Persona 4

Also, as someone who just finished their first run through Dark Souls, I decided to rewatch Load our last Souls again to see what Vinny was up to when the series began.

Christ, vinndogg, how did you have 60 hours in the game yet you were only on level 61? I used a guide just to tell me where to go next whenever i was lost, and including a couple of hours i did grinding and another couple where i left my game on and did other things i wrapped the game up at level 91 and with just barely 40 hours on the clock. I can't even imagine how angry and frustrated the chat was when they first saw this as it unfolded before them, haha

Still, from what i remember he gets much, much better at the game and that weapon he starts with is pretty sick for where he was. Looking forward to finishing LOLS with my own DS knowledge now and seeing how he approaches the challenges that lie ahead.

KingKong

Also, as someone who just finished their first run through Dark Souls, I decided to rewatch Load our last Souls again to see what Vinny was up to when the series began.

Christ, vinndogg, how did you have 60 hours in the game yet you were only on level 61? I used a guide just to tell me where to go next whenever i was lost, and including a couple of hours i did grinding and another couple where i left my game on and did other things i wrapped the game up at level 91 and with just barely 40 hours on the clock. I can't even imagine how angry and frustrated the chat was when they first saw this as it unfolded before them, haha

Still, from what i remember he gets much, much better at the game and that weapon he starts with is pretty sick for where he was. Looking forward to finishing LOLS with my own DS knowledge now and seeing how he approaches the challenges that lie ahead.

I've never seen this series, but how long did it take him to beat the game? I think I had around 50+ hours when I beat Dark Souls 1 but I skipped some stuff like ash lake

Patryn

It seems you answered your own question.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
P3P lacks moments like this:
Immediately inferior.

It's not just about the cutscenes; it's about the immersion (seriously) and having a sense of presence in the world. Can you imagine Persona 4 given the P3P treatment? Moments like the "Miss" Yasogami Pageant, the camping trip, pulling Teddie's head off... all lost because of the VN treatment? That's what happened with P3 -> P3P.

Not sure everyone wants a fourth release of Persona 3. I don't.

P3P is superior because it has a female MC option that drastically changes the story and actually has a main character who isn't just a blank slate.

Anjin M

I remember being crazy overleveled by the time I finished the game. Maybe he was sinking his souls into shards. Or maybe he lost a whole lot of them.

It seems you answered your own question.

To clarify, i used it sparingly. It was more like, "ok, where the hell do I go next?" thing. I didn't use it as a walkthrough, but more as a means to gather my bearings early in the game. Once i knew where to go, i didn't look at a guide again until i needed some direction. Never used it for boss strategies or to overcome challenges, purely for a little nudge here and there.

Really, it's less that he had +60 hours into the game that puzzled me and more that he was only at like level 61 with that many hours of play that i found more puzzling. If he had that many hours and was at 100 i would nod my head up and down and be like, i feel you and your need to grindgrindgrind.

I remember being crazy overleveled by the time I finished the game. Maybe he was sinking his souls into shards. Or maybe he lost a whole lot of them.

By the end of my game, i was killing even the strongest of standard enemies with 1-2 hits, with the first hit being a stun-flattening blow that left most enemies vulnerable to a second swing and (almost always) death. It's interesting to see the mishmash of a character vinny had in the beginning, because it was as if he knew enough of the fundamentals to build a menacing pyromancer who could burn you from far and cut you up from close, yet he had no idea that he was cursed or how to even handle it lol

Kerned

Banned
By the end of my game, i was killing even the strongest of standard enemies with 1-2 hits, with the first hit being a stun-flattening blow that left most enemies vulnerable to a second swing and (almost always) death.
Sounds like a Zweihander to me!
I love the Zweihander!

Sounds like a Zweihander to me!
I love the Zweihander!

Yup, lightning Zweihander +5 :D It's funny, because the only reason i realized that it was a weapon worth investing in was when i was fighting the quelaag boss for like the 4th time and my drake sword sudden needed to be repaired during the fight. I quickly looked through my inventory, picked the standard Zweihander i had sitting around, and when i took a hard two handed swing with it i was stunned as to how effective it was.

People always crap on using the drake sword as an early game crutch because it instills bad habits and the sword itself doesn't scale well, but if i hadn't let the dumb thing drop in condition i wouldn't have stumbled upon the Zweihander, so it was like the best thing that could've happened

I've never seen this series, but how long did it take him to beat the game? I think I had around 50+ hours when I beat Dark Souls 1 but I skipped some stuff like ash lake

it's 10 episodes long and it starts after the 2 bells have been rung, with vinny traversing the tomb of the giants. It also starts with Ian overinforming vinny and rorie either trolling or trying to swing the other way and not giving him any info. It takes a couple of episodes for them to find their balance and for vinny to get his groove on.

Patryn

People, don't forget that we're about to get 48+ (probably 72!) hours of straight content this weekend.

Basically, I anticipate a light week as they get ready for that.

Squishy3

Eh. I much prefer being able to control a character rather than a cursor.
P3P is superior in every way to P3FES except for removing the animated cutscenes, direct party control is something I can never not have in a Persona game anymore. At least Persona 5 will hopefully have sick in-engine cutscenes.

tchocky

From Patrick's tumblr regarding Extra Life

dgnick: Hey Patrick, around 4:30 on the AM show for 11/15/2013, you said you wanted to do your own Extra Life stream next year. You ALSO asked to be held accountable for saying such an idea out loud. Well? ;)

Patrick: There are plans afoot.

Top Bottom