• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Brad's stream is fun to watch when he's not playing a game like dota that is impossible to watch/care about if you have no interest in or knowledge of the game to begin with.

jgminto

The Jason/Lisa/Samantha/Ian stream was the best of the three so far, it had some really fun moments. Everyone knows the last day is going to be the best though, it's the main event!

Balb

this has really been an underwhelming extra life.

Jason's stream was pretty good overall and Dave Lang was a beast in Patrick's stream. Other than that it's been pretty meh so far. Kind of an uphill battle when 3 of the biggest personalities aren't there.

Renpatsu

The Jason/Lisa/Samantha/Ian stream was the best of the three so far, it had some really fun moments. Everyone knows the last day is going to be the best though, it's the main event!
Echoing these sentiments as all the Jason stories cemented that stream as an instant classic.

GB Chicago stream was hype that sent the ball rolling.

Jintor

Sleepy Dogs really reminded me how much I really like Sleepy Dawgs.

I need to watch another, like, 15 Hong Kong action films before I replay it though.

God I want a proper sequel so bad.

Myggen

this has really been an underwhelming extra life.

The Jason/Lisa stream is probably my favourite 24 hour GB stream ever, maybe tied with Operation Supply Drop (which was a CBSi stream, or whatever). The Dave Lang/Patrick stream also had some great, great moments. I've liked what I've seen of Brad's stream when it's not Dota!

Nishastra

Banned
Jason's stream was pretty good overall and Dave Lang was a beast in Patrick's stream. Other than that it's been pretty meh so far. Kind of an uphill battle when 3 of the biggest personalities aren't there.
Yeah, last year was like some kind of perfect storm of awesome.

I actually watched the majority of the day two stream last year multiple times :p

Sleepy Dogs really reminded me how much I really like Sleepy Dawgs.

I need to watch another, like, 15 Hong Kong action films before I replay it though.

God I want a proper sequel so bad.

yeah I spent a huge chunk of the weekend replaying it. what a great game.

Memo to Brad, less or no DOTA next year. You received pretty much no donations during that time. Plus it's so boring. Stream got exponentially better when DOTA ended

Really been enjoying the streams. The double bread action on Brad's stream was awesome. Jason's wife and Sam were great on the Friday stream as well

Mully

Brad's stream is fun to watch when he's not playing a game like dota that is impossible to watch/care about if you have no interest in or knowledge of the game to begin with.

I actually got really interested in DOTA from Brad's stream. Where do I start?

Dany

Banned
God the innuedos here
TadkV.gif

Conker Live and Reloaded holds up incredibly well visually in the demo derby video, shame it got smashed about so much. One of Rare's best and most creative games.

Anastasia

I've really enjoyed the streams so far. Jason's stream had a lot of great moments in particular.

Patrick read out my sweaty tower comment while they were playing Mount Your Friends though, so for that reason GB Chicago/Iron Galaxy > all other streams. :p

vrax

Neo Member
This was mentioned in the Extra Life thread but for folks not following it, Drew and Alexis give a short studio tour at about 6h27m while waiting for Halo 4 updates to download. Worth checking out if you like behind the scenes stuff.

This was mentioned in the Extra Life thread but for folks not following it, Drew and Alexis give a short studio tour at about 6h27m while waiting for Halo 4 updates to download. Worth checking out if you like behind the scenes stuff.

Mostly Ian, Alexis wasn't even there :p

Bacon

Wait so Alexis is going to twitch? Hopefully he doesn't have to interact with that annoying guy from the gamespot stream earlier in the week.

Helmholtz

The game is free to play on Steam. I suggest just downloading it and giving it a shot.
My main advice would be to just dive in. Go through the tutorial if you want, but in my experience it's kind of boring and not that exciting. Queue up for games vs. other human players as soon as possible. Just know that the learning curve for the game is massive, so you will constantly be screwing up and learning new things along the way. But the matchmaking in the game is fairly good, so theoretically you will be matched with people around your skill level. I found this to be the most rewarding gaming experience I've ever had.
If you're more interested in just watching the game, there are tons of streams out there on twitch tv. The pro player Sing Sing has a more entertaining and talkative stream than most. For more vanilla but solid gameplay, people like Merlini or Wagamama have decent streams. Most pro players in general will have decent streams I find. Aside from that, there are often a lot of tournaments going on. For instance, the Eastern European hosted tournament called Starladder just ended, and it had some pretty good games, so you can even seek out the vods for that.
Watching the game will give you a basic understanding of what goes on in the average dota match. However I've always vastly preferred just playing the game over watching it. Plus, once you have some games under your belt, you'll actually understand what's going on when you watch people play the game. I've always thought that games like Dota are pretty terrible spectator sports for people who haven't played them, because it's pretty much indecipherable for those folks.
Also, understand that the game can be pretty addicting. I haven't touched many other games since starting Dota a few years ago, and have clocked 2k+ hours since then. Every other game just doesn't really do it for me any more for whatever reason.

sixghost

Do you have any friends that play? If so, ask them to teach you as much as possible. If not, then prepare to play or read/watch beginners guides a lot before it will make sense. If this sounds unappealing, it's because it is. If you make it through to the other side you'll probably spend more time play dota than is sensible.

If that sounds like something you're into, check out the gaf dota thread in community.

Top Bottom