• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

I'm predicting the list will include Shadow of Mordor, Mario Kart 8, Stick of Truth, Jazzpunk, Reaper of Souls, Bayonetta 2, maaaybe Tropical Freeze. The rest is kind of up in the air/depends on upcoming releases.

I really think Destiny is going to snag most disappointing by a country mile unless there's a major voice willing to step in and defend it with Brad. I'm not sure who that would be though.

I hope not for my sake!

Everybody should dress like Dan for Halloween .

Myggen

I really doubt Mario Kart, Jazzpunk or Tropical Freeze will make the list. Then again I really can't think of any standout games this year. Brad will shoemake Destiny into the Top 10 by sheer will. Mordor seems to be pretty sure.

Alex recently said that Jazzpunk was his GOTY so far. Might have changed, but he loved it. Jeff also really really liked that game, as did Vinny. That game is a lock for top 10 I think.

Brad won't even try to get Destiny into the top 10. If he's gonna fight for the game it'll be on the Most Disappointing list, but I doubt he'll filibuster very hard. He realizes that the game is heavily flawed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Alex recently said that Jazzpunk was his GOTY so far. Might have changed, but he loved it. Jeff also really really liked that game, as did Vinny. That game is a lock for top 10 I think.

Brad won't even try to get Destiny into the top 10. If he's gonna fight for the game it'll be on the Most Disappointing list, but I doubt he'll filibuster very hard. He realizes that the game is heavily flawed.

He also said on his stream that it's an amazing/great game. He will definitely fight for it to be top 10 despite how selfish that is.

Myggen

He also said on his stream that it's an amazing/great game. He will definitely fight for it to be top 10 despite how selfish that is.

I wouldn't say that "selfish" is the right word. Gotta fight your battles on the GOTY podcasts, just like Jeff has done a few times when he has gotten games the others didn't care for on the top 10 list. I just doubt Brad will fight much for Destiny, but we'll see!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

When the final GotY podcast is 6 hours long, you'll see your errors

Jeff managed to get Syndicate in the Top 10, a game only he played and nobody likes :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When the final GotY podcast is 6 hours long, you'll see your errors

Jeff managed to get Syndicate in the Top 10, a game only he played and nobody likes :p

I don't think people on GB actively hated Syndicate though. They just didn't care about it. Jeff hates it, and Dan seems to think it sounds awful.

Okrag

Between Dan and Alex I think Mario Kart 8 definitely has a shot at getting on the Top 10. I also think Velvet Sundown will be on the Top 10.

Zocano

I wonder if Dark Souls 2 will be anywhere on that list.

Sounds like Brad never really got around to playing it and the only others would have been Patrick or Vinny and they've barely talked about it either.

danm999

I don't think people on GB actively hated Syndicate though. They just didn't care about it. Jeff hates it, and Dan seems to think it sounds awful.

Plus, (having caught up on my backlog on Bombing the AM episodes) Patrick and Alex talked about how sterile they found it. It's really going to have an uphill battle.

I really doubt Mario Kart, Jazzpunk or Tropical Freeze will make the list. Then again I really can't think of any standout games this year. Brad will shoemake Destiny into the Top 10 by sheer will. Mordor seems to be pretty sure.

That's basically my reasoning. Those three are games someone has played/expressed affection for. Alex and Dan seemed to really like Mario Kart, Jazzpunk reviewed well (though admittedly that can mean nothing). Tropical Freeze is more up in the air, but IIRC, Dan said he was playing (and enjoying?) it recently.

And that's still only 7 games.

sixghost

I wonder if Dark Souls 2 will be anywhere on that list.

Sounds like Brad never really got around to playing it and the only others would have been Patrick or Vinny and they've barely talked about it either.

If it was a stronger year, probably not. Video games were awful this year though.

Patryn

I honestly expect Destiny to make the list.

Jeff played enough of it to reach level 26, do the raid, and then keep playing. I think there's a secret part of him that actually likes the game.

Farcry 4 will also make the list, undoubtedly. Whether it's in the top or bottom is up in the air.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Jeff played enough of it to reach level 26, do the raid, and then keep playing. I think there's a secret part of him that actually likes the game.

Farcry 4 will also make the list, undoubtedly. Whether it's in the top or bottom is up in the air.

Jeff also hit max level in SWTOR and it didn't show up on his list.
That's just how Jeff plays those kinds of games.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

It will be most disappointing but also make top 10. Guaranteed.

I don't think he liked Destiny that much. He agrees that the gunplay and the core shooting mechanics are very solid, if not excellent, but the impression I always got was that he continued playing because it was such an enigma to him. He wanted to be proven wrong and have the game click, have it become something more than it was. He wanted to know how it became what it is. He kept playing for academic reasons rather than entertainment reasons.

That hour of Dreamfall was funnier than anything I've seen of Borderlands, Sunset Overdrive, or the other "comedy" games this year (Jazzpunk excepted).

Also I swear the voice actor at 54:08 was in Fable II.

danm999

Shadow of Mordor kind of sucked.

I liked it, but I can agree it would be a totally deficient open world game without the nemesis system.

Luckily the people making it realized it was going to live or die by that mechanic, and stuck it onto the game's structure at every opportunity they got. It's doing something pretty much unique and new, and I suspect that's going to carry it a long way given it's 2014.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, Stick of Truth is easily top 5 for me this year, probably top 3. And it's been a long time since I liked the show.

I brought Jimmy almost all the time just because he made me laugh the most. 'Suck my Elven balls, Butters.' It's currently my GOTY, and it's gonna take a hell of a thing to dethrone it for me. I really hope they do a sequel.

This has dan's name all over it

xopQ729.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=920230

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I felt that same way. I think I'm just done with open world games in general. Give me linear/cinematic or indie games anyday.

Nah, I love open world games. It's just that Mordor's was an incredibly boring open world that relied too heavily on one system to carry it. You quickly realize how replaceable each Orc is from the next, and the magic fades.

Bacon

Nah, I love open world games. It's just that Mordor's was an incredibly boring open world that relied too heavily on one system to carry it. You quickly realize how replaceable each Orc is from the next, and the magic fades.

Yeah this is my general feeling. It's something to build on though and it's something totally different then anything we have seen so far. I'll be interested to see how they refine that system in the next game.

I enjoyed Mordor enough. The nemesis stuff worked better than I had expected. It's biggest issue in my eyes is that the late game abilities are so incredibly overpowered and even before that the combat was more forgiving than Batman. At about the halfway point, only very specific captains, with very specific strengths were any threat at all and you could tear through hundreds of orcs with no real threat of death. The only fear I really had engaging a stronghold was one of my branded captains being killed in the commotion.

Like a lot of games it was more interesting in the beginning when your power was at least a little limited. Out of everything, the one power I wish I hadn't have unlocked was the one that stunned enemies when you flipped over them. That kind of broke the game early.

It was one of the few 2014 games I've played. Mordor, RE4 HD PC, Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls and Dark Souls 2. I just started Metro 2033 Redux. I can't say I really disliked any of them but I can't say this was a particularly strong year for me. I was consider a Wii U though.

jgminto

Best new game I played this year was probably Jazzpunk. South Park was good, I did play through it again immediately after my first time. Dark Souls 2 was ok, I played more of it than the first but I still just petered off halfway through. Don't even remember much else. Goat Simulator I guess? That was fun for a bit.

Maybe I'll just fill my game of the year list with old PS1/2 games I played for the first time...

danm999

I could also see something like Mount Your Friends sneaking onto some lists if its a light year for AAA games. And Gang Beasts would if it were releasing this year.

Top Bottom