• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Imagine a dog sized version of that bug thing bounding across the lawn to greet you when you come home from work. Adorable.

Haunted

Most of the time when I discover a cool indie title, I see that it's been covered in some form by Giantbomb already, either in the form of Patrick's articles or a QL (now Unfinished).

Surprised to see neither Hand of Fate nor Dungeon of the Endless covered yet. Get on that shit, guys, they're both really good!

Xater

Most of the time when I discover a cool indie title, I see that it's been covered in some form by Giantbomb already, either in the form of Patrick's articles or a QL (now Unfinished).

Surprised to see neither Hand of Fate nor Dungeon of the Endless covered yet. Get on that shit, guys, they're both really good!

Hand of Fate looks cool, but not gonna jump in now since it's still Early Access. After 2 early access games I made it a policy to not buy a game until it's finished.

Rorie did well showing off Door Kickers. It's a game I enjoyed more the more I played it. It's rising up my GOTY list that I am already building in my head.

daydream

Banned

DotE just came out of Early Access. I'm sure we'll get a QL of it. Great game and definitely the best 4X joint.

Rosie did well showing off Door Kickers. It's a game I enjoyed more the more I played it. It's rising up my GOTY list that I am already building in my head.

Ring around the Rosie

TraBuch

Banned
Anyone think Titanfall could be mentioned in the "Most Disappointing Game" discussion? The game's solid enough, but it definitely didn't match its hype and it seems like everyone at GB lost interest in it very shortly after launch.

Megasoum

Banned
Anyone think Titanfall could be mentioned in the "Most Disappointing Game" discussion? The game's solid enough, but it definitely didn't match its hype and it seems like everyone at GB lost interest in it very shortly after launch.

Watching the quicklook almost makes me want to re-install it. The mobility in that game was great.

Also... 60fps quicklooks on Youtube is amazing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

It can be mentioned, but it ain't shit compared to Watch Dogs and Destiny disappointment.

LeBart

I don't know if I'm making that up, but I feel like everyone sort of lowered their expectations when they saw Titanfall at E3. At that point we knew Respawn wasn't making anything new and crazy like we had hoped, but just Call of Duty with robots, and the final game more or less delivered on that.

Ketch

Maybe now they'll put a good game up on PS+ instead.

HIYO!

Looking back at all the big releases this year, and I realize I haven't really played any of them... except titanfall, which I just got on sale for $20.... and mario kart.

I think it goes:

Watch_Dogs
Destiny
Drive Club
Titanfall.

Though Destiny might take it since it'll be more fresh in their minds being a more recent release.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean, they've never been high on DriveClub though. They've always made fun of it.

Thi4f, Evil Within, and Beyond Earth are more likely than DriveClub. But Destiny will win. Or Lose. or whatever you call it. To me though, it's Second Son or Broken Age. Found both of those to be super big letdowns.

jaina

Most Disappointing 2014 will be:
1. Destiny
2. Watchdogs
3. whatever game they remember. Maybe Civ if Alex is on or Evil Within when Patrick is on.

Looking back at the past year, I think Elder Scrolls Online, Ground Zeroes (just because of the length), Dark Souls II (debatable) are games they played and are at least as likely as Titanfall to get in 3rd. As long as they remember them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ESO isn't even the most disappointing MMO though.

Wildstar destroys that category in the MMO space. Like people were skeptical of ESO, but everyone was saying Wildstar was the fucking return to from and shit. All the WoW streamers talking about how they're going heavy on Wildstar streaming. Then it vanished after 2 weeks.

Still not getting why DriveClub would be on that list since they never gave a shit about it in the first place.

Unless Jeff pulls rank, there are other games that can take its place.

Xater

I mean, they've never been high on DriveClub though. They've always made fun of it.

Thi4f, Evil Within, and Beyond Earth are more likely than DriveClub. But Destiny will win. Or Lose. or whatever you call it. To me though, it's Second Son or Broken Age. Found both of those to be super big letdowns.

Very good chices for this category as well.

Oh nice, looks like Door Kickers was uploaded at 720p60FPS. Hopefully this is standard for them from now on. I wonder if it will make older videos harder to watch, though. I finally went back and finished the Persona 4 ER and man was it hard to sit through with the awful resolution.

I don't think it deserves to be on that list. I don't think it really disappointed any of the crew. Jeff played a ton of it and seemed to enjoy his time with it. It just didn't have long legs compared to other competitive shooters. The gameplay and shooting was good, it didn't have the fundamental flaws (imo) that something like Destiny of Observe_Dogs had.

Myggen

Oh nice, looks like Door Kickers was uploaded at 720p60FPS. Hopefully this is standard for them from now on. I wonder if it will make older videos harder to watch, though. I finally went back and finished the Persona 4 ER and man was it hard to sit through with the awful resolution.

Haven't they done 60 fps QLs for years now on the site? I don't think anything other than Youtube has changed.

I think Titanfall just suffered from apathy in the FPS genre in general. They made grand promises but I don't think any of the giantbomb guys had really high expectations. Even Jeff said he did enjoy playing it for a couple weeks after release. That's a couple weeks more than most of the other stuff he plays.

Driveclub definitely deserves a mention in the disappointment of the year even with lowered expectations. The fact that the online stuff is still so messed up when the game was already delayed a year is insane.

Aerocrane

I still have hope we will get a Samurai Warriors 4 Quick Look this week.

I just wish that Dan would play it since he also played Hyrule Warriors which means he now knows how to play a Warriors game. Jeff played Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate poorly, he didn't even use a Musou attack even once.

Noticed this in some official screenshots from the Icewind Dale re-release on Steam.
ss_f724573251d528b0bf538e7bda3b3d9a5cd125ca.1920x1080.jpg

They've got Dan and others in some of the other screenshots too.

Ketch

I haven't played any of the games on the theoretical list, but I don't remember expectations being that high for a lot of the games people are listing. I think if it's more about games that should or could have been good but then just weren't... realistic expectations vs hype level.

I don't think realistic expectations were that high for watch dogs, or titan fall. The hype for those games was huge, but I think by time of launch their true identities had been revealed.

I think the infamous DLC, beyond earth, drive club and evil within are all games that failed to meet expectations that were not purely based on hype... Infamous because the base game was so much better then the DLC, Beyond Earth because when was the last time firaxis put out a non-starter?, drive club can be disapointing just due to the connectivity issues, and evil within because it was supposed to be the spirtual succesor to one of the best games ever and it got 2 stars.

Destiny though, is like the poster child for disappointment. I had the massive hype machine driving expectations, the developer pedigree, and then the beta was the icing on the styrofoam cake... it looked really good, it was from your favorite bakery, and then the free sample was delicious... but when people finally got it in there homes, it wasn't even a baked good.

Top Bottom