• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Mary has to be a publisher's dream. That Evolve segment was such a perfect traditional media video preview. It reminded me how I never (and continue to not want to) watch that kind of coverage ever anymore between GB and youtube.

GavinGT

Banned
Mary has to be a publisher's dream. That Evolve segment was such a perfect traditional media video preview. It reminded me how I never (and continue to not want to) that kind of coverage ever anymore between GB and youtube.

Yeah, she was definitely in Gamespot mode for that segment. Probably just reiterated her Gamespot coverage. But her presence was still very much appreciated.

How many of you guys consume GB content more than you play video games?

On most weeks, yeah.

Also I have a hard time picking up a movie I'm planning to watch becuse it's two hours long but have no problem watching a QL of that length instead. Though I must say that when I watch a movie that means putting away the laptop etc., while I still keep browsing and shit while watching a QL.

Yeah, she was definitely in Gamespot mode for that segment. Probably just reiterated her Gamespot coverage. But her presence was still very much appreciated.

Yeah, Mary's great. I hope she continues to come on as much as she can. All the ExtraLife segments she did were delightful and great. That Gamespot style is for the birds though.

from the comments:

2697748-pengwinjeff.png

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The evolve bit wasn't exactly unprofessional style, but I did appreciate learning more info about evolve that I hadn't gotten from gb.

from the comments:

That's brilliant.

Edit:

Get Spooked Boi! was great. The ending was so funny; the weird thing he's looking at, and how he just kinda briefly analyses it while he's looking at and decides he doesn't want anything to do with it.

I forget, when did Jeff decide he didn't really like GTAV? Got a great review, quick look was very positive outside of the slightly tired humor complaint, and so on.

There is apparently a Playstation Underground CD that has a guest appearance by the cast of MST3K. It looks like Playstation Underground produced a video for them to riff on. Bizzare.

Patryn

Fevaweva

Man this UPF is AMAZING! Really interesting and funny. Mary is a great addition. Gamespot have some seriously great personalities.

Rapstah

Uhhhhhh at the Sherlock QL. How many times can they go one way, then pull up the map (turning them around) and keep going in the other direction without even noticing?

hwy_61

Banned
Mary's costume was fuckin awesome. It took me a little while to figure out what it was, then when I saw the gun on her leg, I was like, "OHH SHIT SHE SNAPPED."

It's just a shame they don't really have a great audience. GS barley has a community.

I'd definitely recommend never looking at chat during UPF. There can be a lot of shitheads in there.

I really wonder when EA will give up with NBA. They tried now multiple times and nothing worked.

I think I'd rather seem them try their hand again at Baseball. I remember their last efforts in that genre being good.

They will either bury this game or issue another apology and say "Next year will be better" I downloaded the demo and the demo has a 400mb patch. I will try it out later.

Shocktober: Week Three (And Four?)

Xater

They will either bury this game or issue another apology and say "Next year will be better" I downloaded the demo and the demo has a 400mb patch. I will try it out later.

Shocktober: Week Three (And Four?)

it has a demo? Wish my PS4 was already back. I would love to try this myself.

To your point, yeah they will probably do that again. Still at some point they have to give up right? I don't think the sales are there either to actually continue this forever.

Myggen

I'd definitely recommend never looking at chat during UPF. There can be a lot of shitheads in there.

I don't think that's what he's saying here, just that GS barely has an audience for videos that require personalities, especially live shows. Of course there's some shitheads in the GB community, like in pretty much every internet community, but the point is that GB has an audience for that kind of content while GS doesn't (just need to look at the Extra Life numbers to figure that out). Also, I'll argue that the only personalities GS has that are good on camera are Mary, Danny, and Peter Brown (the ones who have been in the most GB content). Chris Watters is okay, but a bit too forced for me. After that you're down to people like Fake Drew.

edit. Kevin VanOrd is okay, forgot about him. But he's not on much video content anymore, guess it takes time to review 10 games a week.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Myggen

Here is a screen i captured.

Visually, the game looks a lot better than last year's (which is faint praise, but still), but from what I've seen from videos the animation looks about as awful as it did last year. But still, I hope EA continue making basketball games because 2K needs competition, 2K15 was awfully disappointing to me, especially the online part.

Xater

Here is a screen i captured.

Those textures are god awful.

Visually, the game looks a lot better than last year's (which is faint praise, but still), but from what I've seen from videos the animation looks about as awful as it did last year. But still, I hope EA continue making basketball games because 2K needs competition, 2K15 was awfully disappointing to me, especially the online part.

Yeah having the competition is nice but it really doesn't matter of the competition is doing such a piss poor effort. Remember how that turned out with Baseball? 2K produced sub par products that sold less and less and now we have only one game that is even exclusive to a platform holder.

elfinke

Funny reading this thread having watched the UPF today while making lunch. My partner (who only vicariously takes on GB content, like the odd podcast during a long car trip or similar) happened to be in the room at the same time the Evolve segment was on and she asked me if "Mary was a developer of that monster game?" I asked what made her think that in particular and my partner replied that the way she was speaking was not typical of the GB crew.

I don't intend that remark as a slight at all, as I thoroughly enjoyed watching Evolve also and hearing Mary so assiduously answer the various pointed questions coming from the guys on the couch. But the changed tone did certainly stand out!

Funny reading this thread having watched the UPF today while making lunch. My partner (who only vicariously takes on GB content, like the odd podcast during a long car trip or similar) happened to be in the room at the same time the Evolve segment was on and she asked me if "Mary was a developer of that monster game?" I asked what made her think that in particular and my partner replied that the way she was speaking was not typical of the GB crew.

I don't intend that remark as a slight at all, as I thoroughly enjoyed watching Evolve also and hearing Mary so assiduously answer the various pointed questions coming from the guys on the couch. But the changed tone did certainly stand out!

Mary did a panel with some other women from the industry recently (at PAX I think?). During that she mentioned that a lot of the time she feels the need to know as much as possible about a game she'll be playing on camera, as a way to kind of compensate for the inevitable comments women get about not know what they're talking about.

I think that was a lot to do with how she was on that segment, as she was the one "demoing" the game. Not saying it's a bad thing at all, like many have I said I thought it was a super interesting segment & she definitely knew what she was talking about but it was a little unnecessary in this instance.

I am totally behind having Mary on more content. Since first seeing her on Danny's Half Life stream I've been a big fan, she's a lot of fun & seems to have some good chemistry with the GB duders.

popo

I know a lot of you think Drew looks like Dexter - not ginger enough IMO - but I just noticed that Merry looks like Dexter's on screen sister Deb. It is mainly the haircut but still.
Also, for the weekend crowd, those actors were briefly married IRL. Unlucky Danny/Alexis.

Shame that show sucked towards the end.

Mary did a panel with some other women from the industry recently (at PAX I think?). During that she mentioned that a lot of the time she feels the need to know as much as possible about a game she'll be playing on camera, as a way to kind of compensate for the inevitable comments women get about not know what they're talking about.

yeah, it was during pax. here's a link, if anyone's interested.

Myggen

I liked it. Between her and Daisy, it was the first time a competitive FPS segment on GB held my interest, despite the monster players playing like shit.

The Battlefield TNTs were normally a good time. The Bad Company 2 TNT is up there with the best GB segments ever.

I don't think people were complaining about Mary during that segment, just saying that it was different from what we're used to. It's cool to have a more structured segment like that once in a while, but only having those kind of segments is part of what makes The Lobby not so great most of the time. It's a very old time-y Gamespot way of showing off a game. I think my main problem with that style is that it often doesn't lend itself to banter or anything like that, but is more about people asking the person playing the game questions about the game and as a result is informative but not very entertaining. For the record I liked the Evolve segment well enough. As I said that style is cool once in a while, but too much of it wouldn't be what I come to GB to see.

Not having to keep to those structures is what makes people like Danny and Mary stand out in GB content more than I've seen them stand out in GS content.

guys we've already established mary is the best

She's great.

Top Bottom