• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Random GB thoughts
-Jason's got a lot better on the Bombcast, he doesn't struggle as much to formulate his thoughts now
-the Dreamfall QL was hilarious and pretty much sold me on the series. I just wish the adventure game elements were removed and they went full Heavy Rain
-UPF was great

daydream

Banned
Let the criticism come. Let's talk about games I love doing that.

Let's not have it be terrible trash and headline attention grabbing.

I genuinely believe there is not one person in games journalism that can handle real well written, concise, intelligent, thought provoking criticism and analysis. Most of them are extremely young, few went to school for it, most have spent their entire career in magazines meant to sell things, or websites made to get clicks and very few have actually attempted or shown that that is the direction they would like to go.

It's extremely hard to do. It's a rare thing to find for movies, books or plays which is why writers will stay in one place for long periods of their life and work for the New Yorker or The New York Times.

I guess you could say I'm complaining about having lots of poor attempts, and how could they get better if they don't practice! I dunno, but I don't want to waste my time reading their practice. Wake me up when it's good and I'll take it seriously.

The other issue is of course what you're aiming at is whether the audience would be there to support it. I don't know that either.

Nothing to add, really. Gaming criticism is in a laughable state if you come from an academic background.

strafer

wrong image

B1dfgAvCEAANFDu.png:large

2f0.gif

Nothing to add, really. Gaming criticism is in a laughable state if you come from an academic background.

Whatever, It's gotta start somewhere. Now that people are getting more of a taste for "bad" criticism, maybe people will start/continue demanding better. If people think the polygon piece is bad then tell why. Critic the criticism.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the Call of Duty embargo lifts tonight right? interested to see what Jeff thinks of it

4 stars obviously

daydream

Banned
Whatever, It's gotta start somewhere. Now that people are getting more of a taste for "bad" criticism, maybe people will start/continue demanding better. If people think the polygon piece is bad then tell why. Critic the criticism.

Hm? Sure, we gotta start somewhere, and I do believe that it's going to get better so yeah, I'm not saying it's bound to fail, at all. Games criticism is in a very early state. Don't know how you got anything else from my post.

As far as the Polygon piece is concerned, I just read it and, well, I wouldn't know where to start. He's too busy constructing some meaning of his own that he has no basis for, throwing all immanency out of the window from the start. Not to mention the part where he just talks out of his arse on emotions and mediality, a subject which has a large discussion and interdisciplinary body of publications surrounding it. All of that wrapped in a tone that is not up to any scientific standards. Amateur hour all around. (There's far better games criticism out there btw, so I don't know why we're talking about this ephemeral piece of Polygon "reporting".)

Myggen

From Jeff's Tumblr, regarding the Roman Reigns interview:

It’s a separate interview that we’ll drop into the show. 45 minutes or so, we didn’t spend too much time on the game. GameSpot handled the “so you’re in a video game” part and that’ll run on The Lobby this Tuesday, I think.

I never even knew a new Call of Duty was almost out - and I like to think I pay attention.

Although, I am the kinda person that would only play the Campaign, and then sell it - so what I think does not matter.

I'd be down for a decent COD campaign though - have not played one through since the first Black Ops

Renpatsu

Mmmn, if you're expecting great games criticism to come out of the media side of the video games industry it's going to be a wait of few and far between in my opinion. However if you look into the academic side to video games (of which it's not surprising that you might not have really seen or heard from much) there are already a number of quite detailed commentaries and criticisms being published that you'd best seek out.

popo

That is nothing. I saw someone on TV make Pork Scratching flavoured popcorn.

I never even knew a new Call of Duty was almost out - and I like to think I pay attention.

Although, I am the kinda person that would only play the Campaign, and then sell it - so what I think does not matter.

I'd be down for a decent COD campaign though - have not played one through since the first Black Ops

Campaign is about 5 hours apparently. Not the greatest value proposition.

I can't believe I'm now interested in a Sherlock Holmes game. That new one has some real neat ideas; I hope they continue in that direction in the future... it's a good alternative to the Telltale-style adventure games.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm A-Ok with Patrick being exiled to wherever the hell he is now.

That CoD pic reminds me of another context-sensitive/respect-for-the-dead-insensitive pic from another recent game, but I can't find it.

Most people want agreement not quality in an argument.

Top Bottom