• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

antigoon

Ugh. Just...

I feel like I'm getting into the mindspace of the people who hated Patrick but man I just continue to be disappointed by the things that come out of that guy's mouth.

BearPawB

Banned
I don't think Dan is much of a character as you guys suggest.
I think he is just honest.

I know lots of people who think like Dan. A lot. He is just one of the few to say it out loud in public.

The problem with Dan's logic is it assumes people have his best interests at heart. When many politicians don't. By not voting he isn't "letting the smart people decide". Is is letting the ones who are pushing their agendas do so with no opposition.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
He's just so proud of his ignorance is what bothers me.

The alternative isn't "Dan Ryckert is politically active and stays informed on pertinent issues"

It's "Dan Ryckert voted Republican/Democrat because he thought the Elephant/Donkey looked funny today"

Myggen

He's just so proud of his ignorance is what bothers me.

Eh, saying you don't vote in midterms isn't being proud of your own ignorance, just saying how it is. It's not like he's shouting at the people who do vote. I know a lot of people who don't bother to vote in any election back here in Norway, and it's because they don't care about politics or don't think it will matter much if they do vote. I don't think any of them are proud of their own ignorance or whatever, it's just how it is.

If you don't care about politics enough to know what's at stake I prefer that you don't vote instead of voting at random or voting whatever you have always voted before. I generally do not vote in local elections because I don't care much about local issues or think local politicians can get much of anything done here, but I always vote in national elections and generally keep myself informed.

Volotaire

Not to derail the thread, and not my complete thoughts on the subject, but Dan is slightly onto something here. No one voter can have fully symmetric information of the academic economic and sociological arguments, and therefore weakens the argument for direct or indirect democracy. Since large amounts of votes are irrationally postulated on either false perceptions from surface debates and the media or votes made by voters are made opposite to the voter's objective due to these misinterpretations, is a democratic system even effective? Again just some thoughts on the matter, from a purely economic perspective.

dan plz

Not to derail the thread, and not my complete thoughts on the subject, but Dan is slightly onto something here. No one voter can have fully symmetric information of the academic economic and sociological arguments, and therefore weakens the argument for direct or indirect democracy. Since large amounts of votes are irrationally postulated on either false perceptions from surface debates and the media or votes made by voters are made opposite to the voter's objective due to these misinterpretations, is a democratic system even effective? Again just some thoughts on the matter, from a purely economic perspective.
Voting, and the democratic process as a whole, is terribly ineffective.

It's also what we've got.

Instead of sitting not using it to prove some point about it, I do my best with what I have.

Bacon

Not to derail the thread, and not my complete thoughts on the subject, but Dan is slightly onto something here. No one voter can have fully symmetric information of the academic economic and sociological arguments, and therefore weakens the argument for direct or indirect democracy. Since large amounts of votes are irrationally postulated on either false perceptions from surface debates and the media or votes made by voters are made opposite to the voter's objective due to these misinterpretations, is a democratic system even effective? Again just some thoughts on the matter.

I've taken entire courses on the subject of whether democracy is effective or not. It's a very complex subject and one that maybe would even make for a good thread here in OT. It would be interesting to hear gaf's thoughts on it.

If you don't care about politics enough to know what's at stake I prefer that you don't vote instead of voting at random or voting whatever you have always voted before.

Yep. I've heard the hyperbolic, "If you don't vote, you're an idiot", but I really don't feel that way. Isn't it the smarter choice to NOT vote if you don't know what you're voting for?

Xater

Yep. I've heard the hyperbolic, "If you don't vote, you're an idiot", but I really don't feel that way. Isn't it the smarter choice to NOT vote if you don't know what you're voting for?

No that just makes the even dumber people vote for the parties that are most polemic without any counter votes. That's how right wing parties get into power positions here in Europe.

I don't follow politics on a daily basis but come voting time I always just look up the issues and stances and then vote for what I think is best. The internet these days has lots of tools to help you out with easy information.

Well the even smarter choice would be to look into the issues and candidates for all of ten minutes and use your vote to reflect your views.

Zaph

Saw Dan's tweets and just knew they'd be picked up here. Was not disappointed.

I'd say about half the people I know have the exact same stance on voting - they don't vote because they feel like they don't understand enough about government. They just don't broadcast it to the world.

bigkrev

I was able to do all my research in under 5 minutes last night. Would have been done in 90 seconds except I decided to do a bit more research on one topic.

This isn't hard.

Myggen

Well the even smarter choice would be to look into the issues and candidates for all of ten minutes and use your vote to reflect your views.

I'd argue that that's not a very informed vote. Too many people look at a few bullet points and vote based on that, without really knowing what they're voting for. You can argue that that's better than staying at home, but not by much.

Anyways, as I said I know a lot of people who don't vote and I have never really felt very strongly about it.

Volotaire

I've taken entire courses on the subject of whether democracy is effective or not. It's a very complex subject and one that maybe would even make for a good thread here in OT. It would be interesting to hear gaf's thoughts on it.

I was thinking of creating a thread on Off Topic with these thoughts, but I feared that the discussion wouldn't be productive or academic enough, and responses would turn into pro democracy whatever the downfalls.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I didn't vote last time cause my choices were:
A. A corrupt party
B. Another corrupt party
C. A corrupt and extremly racist party
D. Frank Stronach (no joke)
E. A non corrupt party run by idiots

Edit: Oh and a Spin off of choice C

xanavi

Well people fought and died for our freedom to vote or not vote. As long as his reasoning is sound to himself then I don't see the problem here. Even if we all disagree with it.

Myggen

I was thinking of creating a thread on Off Topic with these thoughts, but I feared that the discussion wouldn't be productive or academic enough, and responses would turn into pro democracy whatever the downfalls.

You will never know without trying!

Anyways, off to watch Olive Kitteridge. Heard good things about that show.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I don't see what's wrong with the middle tweet. If only more people admitted that they have no clue of politics.
Dear god yes. More people need to be upfront about their ignorance on the subject so they can be properly taught.

I'd argue that that's not a very informed vote. Too many people look at a few bullet points and vote based on that, without really knowing what they're voting for. You can argue that that's better than staying at home, but not by much.

I'm with you. I don't think 5 minutes of research counts for much, but to each their own.

It's easy to go down a list of bullet points and say, "Ah, yes, I agree with this," but how accurate are these points? What's the representative's past look like? Has he/she delivered on promises before? There's so much more than just glazing over quick facts for five minutes the night before the vote.

kvk1

qdGfzuk.gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I still love ya Dan. Wear those American flag pants in pride and go forth into the sunset!

Bacon

If you were going to make a thread, now is the time to do it, while everyone is thinking about voting and what it means to have a vote!

kvk1

What would Solid Snake think, Dan?

He crawls around in boxes in very dangerous places for your freedom to vote.

Bacon

See that's just a dumb thing to say because it really is a straight white male point of view

Of course it's a dumb thing to say, but Dan has been saying things from the straight white male point of view ever since he started at giantbomb so it doesn't really come off as surprising when he tweets stuff like this, imo.

I still can't get over his view of cops and the legal system on that one bombcast. Whoo boy.

Wunder

Of course it's a dumb thing to say, but Dan has been saying things from the straight white male point of view ever since he started at giantbomb so it doesn't really come off as surprising when he tweets stuff like this, imo.

I still can't get over his view of cops and the legal system on that one bombcast. Whoo boy.

GOD DAMN HIPPIES

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
From the drug discussion and the "it all works itself out" comment I noticed that Dan has more confidence in the systems and rules in place than I've ever seen in my country.
Good for him, I guess.

Wunder

Just finished the first MGScanlon. That was beautiful, even though it got incredibly frustrating near the end. TIME TO GET FOOD AND WATCH THE NEW ONE

Perhaps the correct response to being uninformed on issues is not to say "fuck it let smart people handle it" (which, by the way, is exactly the mentality that allows dumb people to be put in charge of handling it) but instead to take a bit of time to inform yourself enough to vote. It's not that hard. It's like the one civic duty you have besides taxes so you might as well do it.

Dan's extraordinarily lucky and priveleged life has allowed him, like many others, the opportunity to ignore politics because thinking about it will harsh his mellow too much or whatever and boy that's great for him but damn, guys, y'all are really selling yourselves short by acting like you couldn't possibly be smart enough to take part in government.

Anyway, Metal Gear Scanlon is good.

Top Bottom