• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

FStop7

Banned
Yeah, I guess I don't understand the logic of moving what has to consistently be one of the highest traffic threads in Gaming to Community "just because it's the rules"...

Patryn

Yeah, I guess I don't understand the logic of moving what has to consistently be one of the highest traffic threads in Gaming to Community "just because it's the rules"...

Because it's basically a community thread.

The Gaming forum is for shorter-term threads, so you have constant new things popping up.

Community is the area for threads that stick around for a while.

Xater

Because it's basically a community thread.

The Gaming forum is for shorter-term threads, so you have constant new things popping up.

Community is the area for threads that stick around for a while.

But it's also where threads go to die.

Bacon

I don't have a problem with this thread being in community, I just found it odd that there was a vocal segment of gaf that took umbrage with the fact that the thread was in gaming, as if it had any effect on them or their life. Calling the thread a glorified advertisement and stuff like that.

This is so not a Community thread. Nobody's buddy-buddy here. You don't have guys shooting the shit. It's always on topic. The Comics! threads are way more community-esque and they're still in OT.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This is so not a Community thread. Nobody's buddy-buddy here. You don't have guys shooting the shit. It's always on topic. The Comics! threads are way more community-esque and they're still in OT.
It indeed is. i don't get how they keep getting away with it.

if i had to take a guess at it, mods wanted to move super best friends over to community and realized that it would cause an uproar if other community-ish threads stayed in gaming, so they decided to avoid that and just throw us in here, too.

the Idle Thumbs thread is still in gaming, but that thread doesn't have the same frequency of posts that this thread does. Plus, that podcast needs all the attention it can get so it's probably for the best.

The Press X to Experience Feelings article is up btw: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/press-x-to-experience-feelings/1100-5075/

Have to read it myself first, so can't comment on it.

let's see...

Everyone has an opinion on the Call of Duty games, even if the opinion is not having an opinion.

patrick, that's a sophomore-ish ass opening, bro.

LeBart

Everyone is playing or talking about Call of Duty, I'm over here playing that Sherlock Holmes game...

It's quite good, you guys!

Everyone is playing or talking about Call of Duty, I'm over here playing that Sherlock Holmes game...

that quick look actually sold me on that game, just waiting for it to get dirt cheap before picking it up. Scratches both my adventure game and ace attorney itch, so it's on my wishlist.

Xater

Despite my initial interest in COD I still decided to not get it. In the end I will most likely regret it. I was done with that franchise for lots of reasons and I doubt the exo suit will fix all of them.

That being said, that Sherlock Holmes game still has me intrigued.

i am not buddy buddy with anyone here

except kvk and vitamin and six

Technically I am your buddy on Steam.

Problem with judging Dan's impressions for GOTY is that we will probably need to add Advanced Warfare into the mix now.

daydreaming chances of winning drastic go down

Bacon

Hard to judge Dan's views. He's an enthusiastic guy, every game he enjoys he will probably have goty worthy enthusiasm for.

Very true. He also sounded like he really liked bayo 2 as well. I have no idea where he'll land.

His personal goty list should just have 10 number 1's because his enthusiasm for games he likes a lot is pretty much equal.

Patryn

He has definitively said that Shadow of Mordor is his GOTY as of last month. So that's one lock, and one of the reasons I feel pretty sure it'll be the GOTY for Giant Bomb as a whole.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Alien Isolation needs to be in the top 5. If Mordor wins goty I'll be aghast. Aghast.

Bacon

Mordor just seems somewhat underwhelming looking back on it. It was pretty rad for the first couple weeks but the shine wore off, for me at least.

Alien Isolation needs to be in the top 5. If Mordor wins goty I'll be aghast. Aghast.

having played 5 hours and gotten to chapter 5-6, i can firmly say that the game isn't fun to play and that it's probably not even the best game to come out the month it released.

Mordor just seems somewhat underwhelming looking back on it. It was pretty rad for the first couple weeks but the shine wore off, for me at least.

it's got a great gameplay loop tied to a campaign that is underwhelming. But man, that game was a lot of fun to play.

Patryn

Most of the guys really liked it, and it's kind of been an underwhelming year for AAA stuff. After all, two of the bigger releases both whiffed in Destiny and Watch_Dogs.

They didn't really seem that enthused about it. Especially given its length. I'm guessing it gets namechecked, and that's it.

Probably belongs on the list of games that have no chance.

Xater

It was a very underwhelming year. So far I still consider it the best I have played.

Only 3 games I will still get this year with GTA V, Smash and Dragon Age. Who know if any of those might change my view.

so did anyone tell drew and dan that the ps3 has analog buttons?

<.<

Yes.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Pretty confident we will see those games in the Top 10

Shadow of Mordor
Wolfenstein
Sunset Overhype

Other than that?
Alien - Patrick loved it but nobody else really played it
Divinity - Brad&Patrick both liked it, it might have a good chance
Shovel Knight - Can't tell
Dark Souls 2 - Nobody was really into that game right?
South Park - I remember Brad liking it, can't remember what Alex and Patrick though
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - Dan loves it, don't know about the rest
Super Time Force - Again, nobody seemed that into it even if they liked it.
Trials?
Bayonetta?
Call of Duty seems to be well liked
Far Cry 4 maybe?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a "Eh, that game was alright. Okay, let's throw it into the top 10" year

Edit: Also yes, I am aware that I'm currently thinking about what might or might not end up on the top 10 list of GB which is a bit pretty dumb. But it's more fun then thinking about my own top 10 list cause nobody gives a shit about that, not even me

AcridMeat

Banned
Far Cry 4 please be good.
i am not buddy buddy with anyone here

except kvk and vitamin and six
:|
I have just seen it way too often.

I'll stay active in here, but the amount of new blood this thread will receive will be close to zero.
Bingo. The thing is if someone is interested/has registered for the forum, they've only been allowed to read gaming and OT as a lurker, so there's no incentive to seek out things in community because that's not what they're exposed to. Flawed system.

Plus I remember whenever I'd check this thread in gaming there would be a handful of new links to shit giant bomb related I wouldn't know about otherwise.

justjim89

I wish Drew and Dan would get more into the conversations on the bombcast. It seems like they run down their last week then they're pretty silent(outside of a joke or two) while Brad and Jeff have these in-depth conversations until emails comes around. Vinny was always pretty good at getting into those conversations even if he didn't play the game they're talking about or care that deeply for what they were discussing.

I think in spite of all the absurdity of a lot of the Dan criticism, it could certainly be said that when it comes to conversations of substance, the meat and potatoes of the Bombcast, Dan often comes across as a bit in over his head or unable to really contribute much. I love Dan and his stories of ignorance and buffoonery give me sustenance to get through the day, but when it comes to games it rarely goes beyond "X was awesome!" "Y was slow and I couldn't get into it!" "Z mechanic was just the best!" Drew is kinda similar in the sense that he knows a lot about what he knows about, and can talk at length about the things that are important and meaningful to him, but just the basic game and game industry discussion isn't exactly the forte of either man.

I think the true test for Dan (and Drew now that it's kinda been his first full year as an on-camera and on-podcast duder) will be GOTY. That's like 20 hours of podcasting in the span of a week and much more will be required of them in terms of contributing to the discussion. Games and their strengths, faults, and importance will need to be talked about at length in relation to other games and they'll both likely have cases they'll want to make for this or that. If GOTY boils down to Brad vs. Jeff for a week I'll be disappointed.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
They didn't really seem that enthused about it. Especially given its length. I'm guessing it gets namechecked, and that's it.

Probably belongs on the list of games that have no chance.

You're right. At best it'll sneak in at ten or nine if patrick pushes for it at all.

I won't really be shocked if mordor wins it, but I got burnt out on that game by the time I got to the second map. The combat is a lot of fun, but, and this is an admittedly poor explanation, the more I played it the more gamey and repetitive it felt. Dull story too. Definitely a top 10 game, but not goty.

It's up to them though of course, and their list should be a reflection of their experiences not mine.

AcridMeat

Banned
I think the true test for Dan (and Drew now that it's kinda been his first full year as an on-camera and on-podcast duder) will be GOTY. That's like 20 hours of podcasting in the span of a week and much more will be required of them in terms of contributing to the discussion. Games and their strengths, faults, and importance will need to be talked about at length in relation to other games and they'll both likely have cases they'll want to make for this or that. If GOTY boils down to Brad vs. Jeff for a week I'll be disappointed.
They should seriously consider phoning in Vinny and Patrick. I fear a debate with Dan might boil down to "I don't know I thought it was cool as shit." Prove me wrong brudda!

Patryn

I think Shovel Knight is a lock for the list. When they brought it up last week, they all seemed really positive about it.

I also think Dan will get Mario Kart onto the list.

And Brad will get Destiny in the bottom half of the Top 10, meaning it will accomplish winning both Most Disappointing and being one of GB's top Games of the Year!

I feel like Patrick is trying too hard with the articles. I get that Worth Reading is similar to Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback but like other SI writers leveraging that style, it falls flat. Laying out feeling and facts doesn't make for compelling or interesting articles; its an unorganized stream of consciousness that works well for more fleeting mediums but not for written ones. Same goes with simply linking articles/videos without much commentary.

To mock a game about sloppy emotional gameplay in a sloppy worded tumblr-like article, where someone else's image (Alex?) you put with it conveys more than the written word, is both sad and poetic. Patrick is always willing to improve, I just hope he is willing improve his writing as well.

Patrick gets away with these silly articles because there aren't very good writers in games press. He wants so badly to write biting commentary, but really he has very little of value to say on topics that often times aren't really that interesting to begin with. "With "press x to pay respects," players have only been given a tiny window into the relationship between these two soldiers." Really?

Just started Metal Gear Scanlon 2, and I really love how excited Dan is about it! Dude really loves video games.

AcridMeat

Banned
Do you guys ever feel they should try more pass and play in quick looks? I'm watching the Binding of Isaac one and it seems like a perfect game to have them switch and maybe spark some new discussion if Brad experiences it first hand as well. Especially since Jeff didn't seem like he was enjoying himself that much.

edit: Off topic but has there been any update about Galak-Z? I know they were trying to get the Vita/PS4 version out this year.

Despite my initial interest in COD I still decided to not get it. In the end I will most likely regret it. I was done with that franchise for lots of reasons and I doubt the exo suit will fix all of them.

That being said, that Sherlock Holmes game still has me intrigued.

Technically I am your buddy on Steam.

if i said dota 2 is good would you be buddy buddy with me?

you're dead to me

Far Cry 4 please be good.

:|
Bingo. The thing is if someone is interested/has registered for the forum, they've only been allowed to read gaming and OT as a lurker, so there's no incentive to seek out things in community because that's not what they're exposed to. Flawed system.

Plus I remember whenever I'd check this thread in gaming there would be a handful of new links to shit giant bomb related I wouldn't know about otherwise.

i love you all just playin

I wish I had buddy buddies

lets buddy

Top Bottom