• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

The problem with GB's videos over the past few years is that they don't care about being good at almost all of the games they play, they just want to dump out the quick look and then never touch the game ever again. There are only a few games where they seem to care about completing like Destiny. These leads to quick looks which are uninformative and don't give a good view of how a game is, it's like judging books simply by their covers. Twitch livestreamers give a more representative view of how a game plays to most people compared to any of the GBers.

Well, they quick look almost every single game that has some official release status. So yeah, for 80% of them, they do want to just pump it out and never touch the game again. The site was built upon them doing whatever they want, but they still have content obligations and need to keep traffic up. So if Quick Looks tend to be what people like the most (and Jeff has said before that they are), then they are going to do more of them. You said yourself that there are still some games that get more in depth coverage, and surprise surprise, it tends to be the more popular games.

But if you can figure out a way for them to find the time to to give every single game coverage with a decent amount of depth, while still managing all the other content that they put out, I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing it. Twitch folk may give more time to a single game, but they don't cover nearly the amount of different games that GB does.

As for GOTY, my bet goes to Wolfenstein on their list, with Mordor in second. I can't think of many notable games this year that they've all praised, it's been a really weak year, but Wolfenstein continues to pop up in their conversations.

CoD is almost certainly on the list now, especially since Jeff will be backing it.

Far Cry might impress more than we think, but it looks like a Saints Row 4 type of upgrade, where they'll like it, but not in the same way.

Bayonetta will be on the list, but not as high as it should be on account of only Dan really playing it.

hamchan

Yeah there won't be much new blood now with this being in community. See: AusGAF thread and people occasionally popping in and saying "oh wow I never knew we had an AusGAF thread" despite these people being on GAF for a decent length of time.

So get used to seeing the same faces everybody. We're a tight knit group now, that can only get tighter the less people come in here.

I think in spite of all the absurdity of a lot of the Dan criticism, it could certainly be said that when it comes to conversations of substance, the meat and potatoes of the Bombcast, Dan often comes across as a bit in over his head or unable to really contribute much. I love Dan and his stories of ignorance and buffoonery give me sustenance to get through the day, but when it comes to games it rarely goes beyond "X was awesome!" "Y was slow and I couldn't get into it!" "Z mechanic was just the best!" Drew is kinda similar in the sense that he knows a lot about what he knows about, and can talk at length about the things that are important and meaningful to him, but just the basic game and game industry discussion isn't exactly the forte of either man.

I think the true test for Dan (and Drew now that it's kinda been his first full year as an on-camera and on-podcast duder) will be GOTY. That's like 20 hours of podcasting in the span of a week and much more will be required of them in terms of contributing to the discussion. Games and their strengths, faults, and importance will need to be talked about at length in relation to other games and they'll both likely have cases they'll want to make for this or that. If GOTY boils down to Brad vs. Jeff for a week I'll be disappointed.

I'm not sure that's an accurate criticism, He's reviewed a TON of games between Game Informer and his college years. He definitely knows how to break down games and write/talk about them, he just comes across as the type of guy that is happy to listen to a conversation and not necessarily partake. This can lead to him being pretty quiet on something like the Bombcast, but we also see this happen with guests on stuff like PAX panels. They will just sit and listen and not talk much, but I wouldn't jump to the assumption that it's due to being in over their heads with the subject matter. Plus, if we're being honest, the GB crew isn't exactly known for being factually accurate when talking about games. Them being willing to talk and share their thoughts on a topic or game isn't representative of their actual knowledge on it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I love how everybody on Giant Bomb details this terrible ordeal of installing Joy2Key and choosing controller mappings. Oh heavens, those three minutes I'll never get back.

Oh hey, Giant Bombers, maybe you can help me out with this.

On my phone I use BeyondPod for my podcast managing. I tried to add the Premium Bombcast's RSS feed to it, but it keeps returning me with a "feed cannot be found" failure. Is the premium cast protected in some way that BeyondPod can't pick it up, or am I doing something wrong? Before you suggest it, I know for a fact that I'm typing it in right.

Patryn

On my phone I use BeyondPod for my podcast managing. I tried to add the Premium Bombcast's RSS feed to it, but it keeps returning me with a "feed cannot be found" failure. Is the premium cast protected in some way that BeyondPod can't pick it up, or am I doing something wrong? Before you suggest it, I know for a fact that I'm typing it in right.

I assume it's protected by the username and password for your GB account. Can BeyondPod handle that stuff?

Myggen

Yeah there won't be much new blood now with this being in community. See: AusGAF thread and people occasionally popping in and saying "oh wow I never knew we had an AusGAF thread" despite these people being on GAF for a decent length of time.

So get used to seeing the same faces everybody. We're a tight knit group now, that can only get tighter the less people come in here.

Yeah, that's just the nature of the beast of being in Community. But we can at least try to link to the thread in every event thread in Gaming (the GOTY thread is next, I think) and the weekly Bombcast thread.

FStop7

Banned
And also it's the only avenue to regular Alex content. I know he has his detractors but his on-cam/QL presence has come a long way.

Zaph

X7byYdo.png

I really miss Vinny around-the-office videos. :(

I assume it's protected by the username and password for your GB account. Can BeyondPod handle that stuff?

I don't think so. It's not really a hassle to manually download it, but it would be nice to have it all self contained.

Edit: I was wrong, it can, it was just hidden under some features. I'll give it a shot, thanks for pointing that out!

sixghost

I love how everybody on Giant Bomb details this terrible ordeal of installing Joy2Key and choosing controller mappings. Oh heavens, those three minutes I'll never get back.

It's something you shouldn't have to do. A big part of why PC gaming has made a huge comeback is because dumb little issues like this have are solved before you ever launch the game. Taking 5 minutes to google something isn't the end of the world, but I'd still rather just get right into the game.

Myggen

Have you looked in this thread?

Someone suggested:

@frenden: No pro mate, and I think I found a solution. Worked in Beyond Pod, try it in your app.

http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@auth.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

And tell me if it worked or not!

"http" should probably be changed to "https" for security (at least that's what I've heard, know nothing about that kind of stuff). Keep in mind that the thread is 3 years old but I've heard of that still working.

Wait crap, that's right, I signed up for my account with the reddit gold cross promotion... Does that mean I use my reddit info?

Sorry this all seems really stupid of me. :x

Myggen

Wait crap, that's right, I signed up for my account with the reddit gold cross promotion... Does that mean I use my reddit info?

Sorry this all seems really stupid of me. :x

Seeing as the feed is password protected, I'm not sure if there's a better way to access it in podcast apps. But no, it should be your GB login and password.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's something you shouldn't have to do. A big part of why PC gaming has made a huge comeback is because dumb little issues like this have are solved before you ever launch the game. Taking 5 minutes to google something isn't the end of the world, but I'd still rather just get right into the game.

It's a dumb hassle, but it's a result of using flash (controller support for flash was added in builds after the game was released). It's definitely worth mentioning, but from the sound of it Brad, Patrick, and Jeff all found it too much of a bother to even try. They make it sound like an ordeal when it's just going in and assigning keybinds in an external program instead of the game options.

Myggen

It's a dumb hassle, but it's a result of using flash (controller support for flash was added in builds after the game was released). It's definitely worth mentioning, but from the sound of it Brad, Patrick, and Jeff all found it too much of a bother to even try. They make it sound like an ordeal when it's just going in and assigning keybinds in an external program instead of the game options.

It's not much of a hassle. I confirmed that https://USERNAME:PASSWORD@auth.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/ worked in Doggcatcher at least, took me about 2 minutes.

edit: this is the full link. Seems like I'm not able to copy paste it here.

edit: I can't read.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I was convinced I accidentally quoted the wrong post. The Joy2Key thing doesn't really matter at the end of the day, Jeff and Brad weren't going to play the game much either way and Patrick ended up playing it with the keyboard. It's just weird to hear keyboard mapping software made out to be a barrier to entry.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
It's just weird to hear keyboard mapping software made out to be a barrier to entry.

I played a a couple hours of Issac on PC and stopped because i didnt enjoy the keyboard controls and didnt want to download a 3rd party controller mapping program. Im pretty sure there are a bunch of people that felt the same way.

Bacon

BoI never really felt right with joy 2 key for me. It feels much better now that they've built controller support into the game.

Alien Isolation needs to be in the top 5. If Mordor wins goty I'll be aghast. Aghast.

I don't think anyone other than patrick played it more than an hour or two. I definitely think this will be Patrick's yearly bump a game into the top ten that has no business being there though.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I played a a couple hours of Issac on PC and stopped because i didnt enjoy the keyboard controls and didnt want to download a 3rd party controller mapping program. Im pretty sure there are a bunch of people that felt the same way.

I actually did the same thing after seeing patrick's stream. Reinstalled the original game, played a couple minutes then uninstalled it. I know it's simple to fix but I've got plenty of games to play that work with a controller out of the box.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So as it turns out their concerns aren't so uncommon. So I just don't understand people. Got it. Knew it. Move along.

Brashnir

I was convinced I accidentally quoted the wrong post. The Joy2Key thing doesn't really matter at the end of the day, Jeff and Brad weren't going to play the game much either way and Patrick ended up playing it with the keyboard. It's just weird to hear keyboard mapping software made out to be a barrier to entry.

People just don't want to be hassled. If you tell me I have to install and configure another another product in order to play your game, I'm less likely to play your game. I was also less likely to buy PC games during the era when you had to enter (and ultimately lose and never find again) a CD-Key in order to play.

I also actively avoid games that make me log into a third-party online service (such as UPlay) in order to play them.

Every barrier that you put between the player and the game is a deal-breaker to somebody out there. Publishers and developers should be as attentive as they possibly can to removing play barriers rather than adding them.

Top Bottom