• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Zaph

Sunday afternoon, cuppa and metal gear scanlon. It's like the perfect chill out combination.

edit: not 5 minutes in and he's still awful. I love this series.

edit2: I don't think that's kissing noises, Dan.

Anastasia

Can't get enough of the Enforcer QL.

This makes him look like Popeye. All he needs is a pipe.

I agree!

vGLuYSA.png

Finally watched Mario Party Party 2. Even better than the first Mario Party video, and those last ten or so minutes are why there's no party like Mario Party.

I don't understand what the outrage is about. Just ADS?

ADS and sprint, both of which would change the pace pretty dramatically.

I remember around when Reach(?) came out and the duders remarked on how Bungie had resisted the urge to "modernize" the series by just going with COD's standards and instead use their own style.

Myggen

I mean, going by the reaction to Halo 4's MP, you would think they would go more back to the more traditional Halo MP style? Ah well.

Zaph

It has to be some sort of internal experiment or something, they can't release it like that. It radically changes Halo's brand of combat.

That's probably a final thing. Doesn't matter how mad people get, or how much it changes everything, it makes the game MP more like COD and thus more approachable to a wider audience.

Myggen

It has to be some sort of internal experiment or something, they can't release it like that. It radically changes Halo's brand of combat.

I at least hope so. ADS seems like such a stupid decision.

That's probably a final thing. Doesn't matter how mad people get, or how much it changes everything, it makes the game MP more like COD and thus more approachable to a wider audience.

But it's not like Halo has had a problem reaching a huge audience for a first party game. "Copying" the most popular shooter is a dubious strategy, as seen by the numbers of titles who have tried and failed.

haloisdeadads21ds80.gif

Mully

Halo 4 was a bad Halo game because the new enemies were shit, players fought the Covenant again, level design was horrible, and the story was on Anime levels of incoherence.

ADS and sprint really didn't change much.

But it's not like Halo has had a problem reaching a huge audience for a first party game. "Copying" the most popular shooter is a dubious strategy, as seen by the numbers of titles who have tried and failed.]

No, but there's always a new generation who can get access to it, who don't know what a Halo is. As big as it is, it's not as big as the annualized titles.

I can't really speak for it though, as I haven't played anything passed 3.

Zaph

I dunno, the way the (very short) leaked footage just perfectly demonstrates those two 'features' makes me think there's an internal dispute over MP direction, and someone at 343 wanted word to get out while there's still time to change it.

Myggen

I dunno, the way the (very short) leaked footage just perfectly demonstrates those two 'features' makes me think there's an internal dispute over MP direction, and someone at 343 wanted word to get out while there's still time to change it.

Heh yeah, it's at least perfectly clear what that 6 seconds long clip wanted to show.

Maybe they foresee CoD partnership going to Sony and they're all "fuck, we need our own thing".

That still makes it super dumb, course. Halo should be Halo. Hell, Halo being the brand powerhouse it is means you can muck around with different ideas more. It's like they forgot ODST and Reach happened.

fuzzyset

Halo 4 was a bad Halo game because the new enemies were shit, players fought the Covenant again, level design was horrible, and the story was on Anime levels of incoherence.

ADS and sprint really didn't change much.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'll add that Halo is Halo because of the time-to-kill and relative "balance" of the weapons. CoD is "see enemy, fire 3 bullets, dead, sprint away". As long as Halo keeps the shields and cat and mouse firefight gameplay, ADS doesn't really change much in my mind. I wonder if you'll get knocked out of ADS when you get hit. Also, no loadouts. Pleaseeeeeeeee.

popo

I had to look ADS up. When did they stop calling it "iron sights"? I was surprised halo didn't have this yet. Sounds like an improvement to me. Although I never could get with Halo's weightless pew pew laser weapons.

AcridMeat

Banned
Once I understood what ADS was I understood the fear of it being added. Someone in that thread put it easily for me to understand, that scopes do not equate to ADS. ADS means you're slowing down significantly to get an accuracy bonus, which is entirely different to running around with a battle rifle but having the zoom on. The movement speed was the same in previous games whether that toggle was on or off.

That's why I wouldn't want that system either, because so much of Halo's fun was the chasing people down aspect for me. If they have that aim down the sights mechanic on every weapon, which I really don't think will be the case, it'd be awful.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'll add that Halo is Halo because of the time-to-kill and relative "balance" of the weapons. CoD is "see enemy, fire 3 bullets, dead, sprint away". As long as Halo keeps the shields and cat and mouse firefight gameplay, ADS doesn't really change much in my mind. I wonder if you'll get knocked out of ADS when you get hit. Also, no loadouts. Pleaseeeeeeeee.

I think you're right. The key questions will really be how fast you move while using ADS and how much of an accuracy hit you get when you don't. Maneuvering is really key to a Halo gunfight, much more so than "left trigger right trigger" shooters where you might as well be standing still while firing because move of the time the outcome is decided by the time the first bullet even hits. In Halo, a fight is all about moving while shooting, maybe jumping, maybe trying to line up a grenade, maybe trying to get in close for melee. Time-to-kill is long enough that that stuff comes into play in every firefight. ADS, as it is typically implemented, totally removes all that maneuverability, so it'll be interesting how they try to make it fit.

jgminto

It was in Halo 4 and was fine, I don't get why that's an issue. The ironsight thing fundamentally (or potentially at least) changes a core part of Halo. This is assuming it works similar to games like CoD of course.

It totally changes the pacing of a fight. People end up running everywhere when they aren't shooting. I haven't played 4 but the playlists with the sprint AA in Reach were terrible because of it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'Auto-aim'? This is the Giant Bomb thread. We call it' snappiness.'

That's how Jeff gets away with saying he likes games with auto aim. Just call it snappy instead.

Top Bottom