• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Novoitus

Banned
It's weird that Jeff says Forza is more relevant than Gran Turismo. Even now the games still sell many times more than every Forza game. 70 million overall compared to 10. GT6 has only sold around 2.6 million so far but it was at the tail end of the generation and that is still nearly twice every other Forza game.

And Drive Club is an arcade racer, it's not really encroaching on GT at all so it's not weird for Sony to greenlight it. Suppose they've always been that way with GT on giantbomb though, either ignored or complained about with inaccurate information :p

Edit: And Dan's comments about the Assassin's Creed climbing are weird. It's literally the exact same system, and you jump in the wrong direction just as often. Mordor isn't nearly as smooth about navigating corners either, climbing just feels bad. Game is pretty great though, and thankfully you aren't climbing towers and such all that often like you are in AC.

Forza is absolutely more relevant than GT right now. Forza has been better for quite a bit, and there are 2 on current gen consoles. The only GT games reside on last-gen.

Also, I feel like you still get stuck in Mordor, but not nearly as much as AC. It just seems more direct than AC.

Forza is absolutely more relevant than GT right now. Forza has been better for quite a bit, and there are 2 on current gen consoles. The only GT games reside on last-gen.

Also, I feel like you still get stuck in Mordor, but not nearly as much as AC. It just seems more direct than AC.
Relevant in what sense though? They sell less, don't really win a lot of awards, and certainly don't get thread after thread like GT or other big games. Won't get into the whole "better" situation, both games review relatively well and Forza now has it's two 80s games just like GT if you care about metacritic silliness.

And it really is a seems thing, try going around the corners of a building or moving around the edges of a piece of a building that sticks out. Just doesn't work well at all compared to AC. Luckily early on you get the ability to just warp to enemies so you can use archers to quickly climb in most cases.

PensOwl

Banned
Edit: And Dan's comments about the Assassin's Creed climbing are weird. It's literally the exact same system, and you jump in the wrong direction just as often. Mordor isn't nearly as smooth about navigating corners either, climbing just feels bad. Game is pretty great though, and thankfully you aren't climbing towers and such all that often like you are in AC.

From what I can tell, the climbing/parkour system of Mordor and AC are the same, it's just that AC has a much more dense environment making it easier to accidentally climb on things which leads to the general perception of AC being clumsy.

Novoitus

Banned
Relevant in what sense though? They sell less, don't really win a lot of awards, and certainly don't get thread after thread like GT or other big games. Won't get into the whole "better" situation, both games review relatively well and Forza now has it's two 80s games just like GT if you care about metacritic silliness.

And it really is a seems thing, try going around the corners of a building or moving around the edges of a piece of a building that sticks out. Just doesn't work well at all compared to AC. Luckily early on you get the ability to just warp to enemies so you can use archers to quickly climb in most cases.

I guess relevance wise, we are just seeing more of Forza right now. I would love to have gotten GT6 but it being on PS3 really turned me away.

My biggest point was that I enjoyed Forza 4 more than GT5 (my personal opinion that has nothing to due with it's relevance), and that Forza 5 was on current gen and GT6 was not.

I'm sure once GT7 comes around things will change, but for now, Forza is much more relevant.

Fair enough, Jeff was talking more about the two series as a whole though rather than Forza having launched on next-gen (outside of the odd Drive Club argument, very different types of racing games)

One can like Forza more(I love both series, and am having a blast with Horizon 2) but in no way has the series come close to sales or attention that Gran Turismo still gets to this day. No one outside of racing fans talks about Forza as it just hasn't entered the mainstream lexicon in the same way. As I said, even GT6 which hasn't done anywhere close to GT5 still sold more than every Forza game.

It's weird that Jeff says Forza is more relevant than Gran Turismo. Even now the games still sell many times more than every Forza game. 70 million overall compared to 10. GT6 has only sold around 2.6 million so far but it was at the tail end of the generation and that is still nearly twice every other Forza game.

Probably one of those US centric things again, similar to the media (including GB) touting how MS was beating Sony last gen when in reality they were toe-to-toe almost for the entire time. People here in Europe sure like Sony and Gran Turismo (and racing other than NASCAR so people actually buy racing games).
Giant Bomb XI | Quit Flirting! You're Going To Get Nuked!
None of this XI nonsense, next thread should be Giant Bomb X-2.

Is there maybe a stream achieve link that members can access that someone could PM for the last Metal Gear Scanlon? I was hoping it'd be up by the time I got home tonight, but no luck it seems =/

Edit: nevermind! it's up ^_^

Nerokis

You'll be sorely disappointed. He did so great this episode. For a while, he actually enjoyed playing the game.

I really wish I could have watched the episode live, but I'm glad to hear this. I was actually afraid the last chunk of the game would turn him against it (a lot of people detest the PAL stuff, those last two battles can be pretty tough, etc.), but I felt like episode 10 was the first time he seemed comfortable with the game. It was surprising to see him enjoy it without any of the usual anxiety/frustration.

Looking forward to seeing the finale for myself.

Edit: Well, there it is! Thanks for the heads up.

I really wish I could have watched the episode live, but I'm glad to hear this. I was actually afraid the last chunk of the game would turn him against it (a lot of people detest the PAL stuff, those last two battles can be pretty tough, etc.), but I felt like episode 10 was the first time he seemed comfortable with the game. It was surprising to see him enjoy it without any of the usual anxiety/frustration.

Oh boy...

Kirlia

Banned

I only was able to see about 30 minutes of the beginning and 30 minutes of the end, but he
seemed to do pretty well. He did die a fair amount of times (I think over 10 times against Metal Gear REX?), but it was rad to see him beat the game and hear him say that he, for the most part, enjoyed the experience

His reaction to
the scene after the credits
was also pretty hilarious.

I decided to finally play MGS for the first time and I've reached disc 2 in under 3 hours. Today's episode of Metal Gear Scanlon lasted longer than my playthrough of the entire first disc. The game plays just fine too, which is surprising because Drew makes it seem like it plays poorly. I do look forward to their play through of MGS2 though.

MGS3 has too many dumb nods to play for the first time before playing MGS2 for the first time. The Raiden mask at the beginning, the Raidenovich character...

Nerokis

Oh boy...

What? Did I miss sarcasm somewhere? What's going on?!

I only was able to see about 30 minutes of the beginning and 30 minutes of the end, but he
seemed to do pretty well. He did die a fair amount of times (I think over 10 times against Metal Gear REX?), but it was rad to see him beat the game and hear him say that he, for the most part, enjoyed the experience

His reaction to
the scene after the credits
was also pretty hilarious.

Hahaha. I'm excited to see that. I've been anticipating seeing his reaction to that scene for awhile, so I'm glad it didn't disappoint.

Myggen

What? Did I miss sarcasm somewhere? What's going on?!

I'm guessing he's referring to "It was surprising to see him enjoy it without any of the usual anxiety/frustration", since this episode is pretty much as frustrated as we've seen Drew in any GB content ;)

demidar

I'm guessing he's referring to "It was surprising to see him enjoy it without any of the usual anxiety/frustration", since this episode is pretty much as frustrated as we've seen Drew in any GB content ;)

Shall we turn "Time to Brad" to "Time to Drew"?

Xater

I think Drew is gonna LOVE Snake Eater.

Like any sane person would.

I really did not like Snake Eater that much when it was initially released. The design of the game just did not work well with the pure overhead camera. It's a way better in the Subsistance version because of the free camera.

Nerokis

Ahh, okay. That makes sense. :p

Yeah, I went through MGS again a week or so ago, and even I found the
Rex
fight a little frustrating to relearn. It actually becomes surprisingly easy once you figure out a basic pattern, but until then, it can easily feel like you're being killed rather cheaply, and having to start over again and again punishes failure quite a bit.

The most interesting part of that fight was wondering how Drew would deal with it. Would he focus on hovering around the container or whatever? Would he pick up on the visual cues? Would he find out the optimal distance to keep in order to control the fight, or somehow win by staying underneath him as much as possible or something?

I'll see soon enough.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Of course, there was just a particularly large amount of fact checked information in those two quick looks :p

I feel like the Forza stuff was more about nobody caring about GT6. Like literally nobody. That game came out and I never ever heard anything about it ever again.

Giant Bomb X | Stop changinh the thread title

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like the Forza stuff was more about nobody caring about GT6. Like literally nobody. That game came out and I never ever heard anything about it ever again.

Giant Bomb X | Stop changinh the thread title
Yeah, even the hardcore gave up on GT6 because of the lack of news/support. The game also launched with a glitch that let people buy all the cars they wanted on launch. lol

Kirlia

Banned
Lol... Yeah he def does. I dont think ive ever seen Drew win any multiplayer things they do. In fact, hes almost always last place.

That is Drew's curse. He lives life and goes to places like Iceland and Vietnam, but he dies over and over in video games, going nowhere but to his grave.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the angriest that Drew has ever been (did he even swear once during MGS?) is still only a fraction of Brad's rage in any given Breaking Brad.
Feel free to prove me wrong.

Nibel

I have a question about the GB player: every time I stop the podcast to do something else for a short amount of time and press play again, the podcast jumps back a few minutes. Has anybody experienced a similar issue?

Myggen

I have a question about the GB player: every time I stop the podcast to do something else for a short amount of time and press play again, the podcast jumps back a few minutes. Has anybody experienced a similar issue?

Never happened to me, no.

Complete different situations, Brad played a fully different version of M3, so to speak. WIth all DLC and whatnot.

He also acknowledged as much in both his list (IIRC) and in the GOTY podcast. It's partly why he didn't fight much for that game on the GOTY podcasts.

tchocky

It has happened for me before but the time didn't jump back so on a 3 hour 5 minute bombcast it was still playing when the time said 3 hour 15 minutes.

Top Bottom