• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
As Vinny once said, "what do you think Brad's game of the year should be?"

Divinity OS. I really liked that game so Brad should too. Otherwise I will unsubscribe. You hear that Brad? I will send you the list of the other 9 games a bit later today so you can prepare your list, kay?

Missed MGS Scanlon since I fell asleep. Time to watch this!

What kind of excuse is that? What are you, 80? Get off the internet Grandpa.

strafer

Vinny and Alex?

iLyhZa4.png

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm really curious about the secret video. What could it be?

Myggen

I did not realise how much of snake's dialogue is just him repeating the other person.

Other person?

Someone in the previous thread mentioned that that was a Japanese thing that sounded weird when translated directly into English. Have no idea if that's accurate.

edit: Your avatar is scaring me.

Someone in the previous thread mentioned that that was a Japanese thing that sounded weird when translated directly into English. Have no idea if that's accurate.

Repeating what the other guy is saying (typically the hero's opponent) for dramatic effect, is something a lot of shónen anime use as well, so that makes sense.

I did not realise how much of snake's dialogue is just him repeating the other person.

Other person?

Someone explained it, and it immediately made sense. It's basically a remnant of it being a Japanese-language first game. It's a common thing in Japanese conversation to acknowledge what the other person is saying, basically as a way of saying "I'm listening." That's why if you see an interview in Japanese, the second person is constantly saying "hai" while the other person is talking.

Just like how it's rude in the West to not make eye contact with someone who is talking to you.

So really, MGS = anime.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh I know it's a japanese trope in general, but I didn't realise just how much MGS uses it. Feels like 3/4 of what snake said is basically that.

Guess what I'm saying is that MGS is more anime than most anime.

Zaph

Someone explained it, and it immediately made sense. It's basically a remnant of it being a Japanese-language first game. It's a common thing in Japanese conversation to acknowledge what the other person is saying, basically as a way of saying "I'm listening." That's why if you see an interview in Japanese, the second person is constantly saying "hai" while the other person is talking.

Just like how it's rude in the West to not make eye contact with someone who is talking to you.

So really, MGS = anime.

So you're saying Patrick is...Japanese?

Oh I know it's a japanese trope in general, but I didn't realise just how much MGS uses it. Feels like 3/4 of what snake said is basically that.

Guess what I'm saying is that MGS is more anime than most anime.

That's the thing that tripped me out is that I've been a MGS fan since it came out and I'm even studying Japanese and I literally never put the two together until someone said it.

Just like one of my Japanese animes.

So really, MGS = anime.

While the gist of this is true, in regular japanese conversation you don't really repeat words in an questioning manner, but use specific phrases like variations so desu, to show the person you're talking to that you're interested in what they're saying and understand it.

Snakes constant "Metal Gear!?" is more of an anime/manga thing.

So yeah MGS = anime.

Aioli = mayonnaise

Dan = living a lie.

^ hah, more proof that despite being in a position where I should maybe know these things, I still have no idea.

of course, it's not like they necessarily teach you to do the "hai" thing in class.

Balb

Was hoping Dan and Drew would dick around in Twin Snakes for a bit. There are a ton of small changes and some of them are awesome. Would have loved to hear their thoughts after playing maybe the first 20 minutes or so.

Was hoping Dan and Drew would dick around in Twin Snakes for a bit. There are a ton of small changes and some of them are awesome. Would have loved to hear their thoughts after playing maybe the first 20 minutes or so.

I thought Dan said he does not care for twin snakes.

^ hah, more proof that despite being in a position where I should maybe know these things, I still have no idea.

of course, it's not like they necessarily teach you to do the "hai" thing in class.

I studied japanese for 2 years and all the social conventions and specific "rules" to conversations is something that's really hard to learn in a class room. Your best bet is probably either to go to Japan or start speaking regularly with a native japanese. That being said, most japanese will not expect you to be an expert on these things anyways.

Balb

I thought Dan said he does not care for twin snakes.

Yeah I remember him saying something like that. I still think it would have been interesting to revisit. I don't think it warrants the hate that it gets.

If for nothing else it could have just been a nice way to close out MGS1 for good.

Yeah I remember him saying something like that. I still think it would have been interesting to revisit. I don't think it warrants the hate that it gets.

I've said it lots of times, but it's a good game as long as you're using it as a supplement to the psx version, and not a replacement. Anybody who complains about it being too goofy might be missing the point (and Kojima directed the cutscenes himself anyway).

The only thing I've seen from Twin Snakes is the
missile jump cutscene
and seeing it after I'd played MGS2 it just seemed par for the course.

Balb

The only thing I've seen from Twin Snakes is the
missile jump cutscene
and seeing it after I'd played MGS2 it just seemed par for the course.

Yeah that's another thing. Twin Snakes actually fits in with the rest of the series better than MGS1. I still think you should play both though.

jgminto

The best cutscene in Twin Snakes is the one where Snake does a sweet flip. You know...all of them.

The actual problem with the Twin Snakes cutscenes is that they're butt ugly and poorly directed outside of the times when Snake is doing a sweet flip. It's unbelievable that Twin Snakes came out almost three years after 2 since the cutscenes in 2 hold up so much better.

Xater

edit: Your avatar is scaring me.

Yes it's absolutely a remnant of how Japanese people talk to each other. Japan you always say something to acknowledge you are still listening. It just seems weird when you directly translate it like in these games.

Not going to argue with the score itself, I'm loving the game. But Brad's reviews continue to read like they are giving the game a score two stars lower than they are. How can you start a five star review with "This perfectly competent open world game"?

Brad said this was 4 star game in the comments but the nemesis system made it 5.

Myggen

Not going to argue with the score itself, I'm loving the game. But Brad's reviews continue to read like they are giving the game a score two stars lower than they are. How can you start a five star review with "This perfectly competent open world game"?

His 5/5 seems based on him absolutely loving the gameplay and the nemesis system, and that the stuff he didn't love that much didn't drag that down.This paragraph in particular:

It's one thing that the nemesis system works as advertised on a technical level, but Monolith went the extra mile and gave the orc captains such a great dramatic flourish that it's hard not to get worked up the second they come on the scene. There's a staggering amount of variety in the names, character designs, and personalities of the captains you run into. As soon as one of them spots you, the game zooms in and gives them a chance to show off how repugnant they are. Most of them spit some kind of brutal challenge at you in their guttural Cockney accents. One of my captains, Bugabug the Singer, issued all of his challenges in verse. Another guy said nothing, instead just squealing and clicking his teeth at me. The more you beat them up, the gnarlier and more injured they'll be the next time they show up, and they'll make specific references to their injuries. They make specific references to all of your interactions with them, actually; there's a enormous amount of dialogue tailored to your previous encounters that really gives the game world life and makes the whole thing more believable. A lot of what these guys have to say is really dark and twisted, too. Just ugly, fun stuff.

It's just confusingly worded. He's saying it would have been perfectly competent without the Nemesis system, and but having that system elevates it to greatness.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Lack of story is better than no story?

if its in direct comparison to ME3?

yea, I'd have preferred no story at all (and lets be honest we basically did get a non story).

ME3 was hot garbage, elevated by peoples fondness for the last two games.

Zaph

His 5/5 seems based on him absolutely loving the gameplay and the nemesis system, and that the stuff he didn't love that much didn't drag that down.This paragraph in particular:

That's the beauty of the 5 star system. Even if a game isn't perfect in every way, it can still receive the top score by virtue of just being great fun to play. No point in 10's or 100's if it's never used due to games having flaws.

The scale seems far more empowering to the reviewer.

Top Bottom