• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

It was amusing to have Alex start off with hearsay about the PC version only for it to run perfectly fine at max settings. People love to freak out when they can't run it at 60 FPS with exclusive, incredibly taxing pc features!

Thought the game looked fun though, more Assassin's Creed but it's a pleasant formula and it's nice to be back to a real city after 3 and Blag Flag. Hoping there are more straight, sandbox style assassination missions when I get to it. Shame to have people here calling it a "bad" game when most of the reviews are relatively good.

And why is Patrick still having streaming issues? He's paid to do these things, you'd think he'd be able to work it out.

jgminto

Thought the game looked fun though, more Assassin's Creed but it's a pleasant formula and it's nice to be back to a real city after 3 and Blag Flag. Hoping there are more straight, sandbox style assassination missions when I get to it. Shame to have people here calling it a "bad" game when most of the reviews are relatively good.

Looked like the same streamlined crap they've been pushing out for the last couple years with a shinier coat to me. Also the architecture still hasn't returned to the pre-3 levels of height and density.

Looked like the same streamlined crap they've been pushing out for the last couple years with a shinier coat to me. Also the architecture still hasn't returned to the pre-3 levels of height and density.
City looked pretty dense to me and there were tall building here and there. Isn't like they went through the entire playing area. Climbing the empire state building wouldn't be fun anyway.

jgminto

City looked pretty dense to me and there were tall building here and there. Isn't like they went through the entire playing area. Climbing the empire state building wouldn't be fun anyway.

I didn't notice anything higher than a church steeple. Climbing the massive towers of 1 and 2 to see the view of the landscape was one of the most amazing things about those earlier games.

I didn't see it until a few years ago, but the scene
where Kaori gets crushed in Tetsuo's mutating body
scarred me JUST a tad in the head.

Yeah I was kind of young when I saw it too (13 maybe?), but this was in an era where you couldn't really get most anime in the US (early 90s). That part, and some others, kind of messed with me.

Patryn

Is this the year that publisher's reach finally exceeds their grasp and they admit that they're being far too aggressive with scheduling?

I mean, Jesus, I get up this morning and I'm looking at the Gaming forum and it's like a graveyard of fubar'd releases.

It's almost becoming a story when the release of a major AAA-game ISN'T totally fucked.

I am pretty sure a few years ago Jeff used to mail Alex in New York games which Jeff wanted Alex to review.

Look how far we have come.

Is this the year that publisher's reach finally exceeds their grasp and they admit that they're being far too aggressive with scheduling?

I mean, Jesus, I get up this morning and I'm looking at the Gaming forum and it's like a graveyard of fubar'd releases.

It's almost becoming a story when the release of a major AAA-game ISN'T totally fucked.

Well every platform has had an exclusively busted game as well. Got to keep that parity.

LeBart

Looked like the same streamlined crap they've been pushing out for the last couple years with a shinier coat to me.

I would gladly play it if it was just that. AC3 may have been disappointing but a lot of people, myself included, still like the series.

The problem Unity has is not that people who hate the series still hate it, it's that people who do like it have to put up with atrocious performance on every platform.

Patryn

I would gladly play it if it was just that. AC3 may have been disappointing but a lot of people, myself included, still like the series.

The problem Unity has is not that people who hate the series still hate it, it's that people who do like it have to put up with atrocious performance on every platform.

The problem appears that they put together a game for screenshots and pretty quotes about tech, and less about the actual experience of playing it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
i'd have to go back and compare but it sure seems like it

Huh, that's a shame then. I don't remember the last gen versions being technically competent.

Also rewatching the dan popcorn video and I still maintain that it would be much better if he actually just turned the jelly bean into dust and sprinkle it over the popcorn. Without the whole melty thing.

LeBart

Is the performance worse compared to what we got last gen?
It seems at least as bad as AC3, and maybe worse. Certainly worse in crowded areas. It goes below 20 on PS4 in the digital foundry video...

The problem appears that they put together a game for screenshots and pretty quotes about tech, and less about the actual experience of playing it.

I can't really speak to that until I've played it but it's certainly another possibility. The point is, if it was just "more assassin's creed in a shinier coat", that would be mostly good news for me. Sadly it's not really that.

Myggen

kind of disappointed they chose to do assassins creed QL on PC and xbone because 'the xbox version runs better' or something. I kind of wanted to see how busted the psbone version is from the ql.

choosing one because it runs better seems like doing a weird and unneccesary favour to ubi soft

Seemed to me that they wanted to see how the game ran on PC, but since Alex had been playing it on the Xbone the majority of the QL focussed on that version. Sure they could've tired the ps4 version too, but it would be a repeat of the part we saw on pc and it's incredibly rare that they show off all platforms in a QL. Not sure how that can be viewed like a favour to Ubi or whatever. He will play some of the game on a ps4 for the review to see how it runs.

This game is getting a low three stars.

Seemed to me that they wanted to see how the game ran on PC, but since Alex had been playing it on the Xbone the majority of the QL focussed on that version. Sure they could've tired the ps4 version too, but it would be a repeat of the part we saw on pc and it's incredibly rare that they show off all platforms in a QL. Not sure how that can be viewed like a favour to Ubi or whatever.

This game is getting a low three stars.

You have high hopes there buddy!

2 stars for me.

Renpatsu

Put the Assassin's Creed Unity quick look on while I was doing the dishes, I will admit to caring ever so slightly when Vinny had the spoken language changed to French. I tried to do the same thing with Liberation, but it just wasn't enough.

Patryn

You have high hopes there buddy!

2 stars for me.

I was thinking that, but after hearing Alex talk about it on Bombin yesterday, I'm not sure. At one point he even says it's not the worst-performing game he's played this year.

I wouldn't be shocked by 3 stars. I also wouldn't be shocked by 2 stars. My guess is it's a 2.5 star game, and we'll see how Alex rounds.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I agree that it'll get a 3. There's seems to be enough of a good product in there to scrape it.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the underlying game in Unity is pretty damn solid. it just starts to fall apart when you add in all of the performance problems and glitches.

a real shame.

Antiwhippy

the underlying game in Unity is pretty damn solid. it just starts to fall apart when you add in all of the performance problems and glitches.

a real shame.

Is the gameplay really that solid?

The more they streamline the combat, stealth and traversal the more I think "what's the point of having them there then"?

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is the gameplay really that solid?

The more they streamline the combat, stealth and traversal the more I think "what's the point of having them there then"?

the parkour is probably the best it's ever been. combat isn't great but it's never been what I come to this series for.

haven't done too many story missions yet but they do seem more open-ended than previous games. side quests have been pretty varied too.

tchocky

I can't see Unity getting more than 2 stars Alex dislikes the story, main character, side missions, amount of collectibles/map cutter and the technical issues. The only real positives are how pretty it is.

the parkour is probably the best it's ever been. combat isn't great but it's never been what I come to this series for.

haven't done too many story missions yet but they do seem more open-ended than previous games. side quests have been pretty varied too.

Mordor nailed combat, stealth, side missions, and it looked pretty good. I actually enjoyed getting into conflicts and sneaking around and killing fools in that game, things i haven't enjoyed in an asscreed game since brotherhood. They really need to revamp the whole thing, but that would require that they don't pump one out on a yearly basis and we know that isn't going to happen

Antiwhippy

I can see the appeal of traversing around the city, problem for me is that none of the missions ever looked fun really.

Myggen

I also think that the MP is probably the main draw for most people, so that's what the QL will probably focus on.

And again, this shows that reviewers really should not push out reviews of games with such a heavy MP component without trying it in the wild.

Zaph

I also think that the MP is probably the main draw for most people, so that's what the QL will probably focus on.

And again, this shows that reviewers really should not push out reviews of games with such a heavy MP component without trying it in the wild.

Nah, it's a lot easier just to slap an 9.5 on it and take the publisher's word that it'll launch without a hitch.

Jeff indicating his dislike of the title should curtail anyone thinking the positive reviews would give it a chance during GOTY.

jeff didn't like TLOU yet it took GOTY last year. Not to say that Dragon Age has a chance, just that jeff isn't going to get in the way of the consensus.

and lets never forget how much he loved Saints Row 3 yet Brad got his crappy Skyrim win and no one walked away happy.

Top Bottom