• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

KingKong

I only played a little bit of Halo 2 and 3 but it always seemed like a really slowed down consolized Unreal Tournament, because that's exactly what it is

jgminto

I wish Jon could come back for a glitchy hoorah terribad sonic game to bring the glory days of Sonic '06 back to GameGrumps. Undoubtedly Danny will be able to fill the void, but it won't just be the same.

GameGrumps are a group of LPers on Youtube. I used to enjoy some of their content, but now it's just a mess. Jon is one of the two original "members" (together with Egoraptor), but he left because of some unknown drama.

I KNOW MY YOUTUBE!

Ban please.

Myggen

ME2 is terrible if you loved ME1.

Absent ME1, I guess ME2 is a competent and and average third person shooter with terrible map and encounter design.

I loved both ME1 and ME2. I didn't mind them dumbing down the RPG elements in ME2 (and I'm a huge fan of old school Bioware) because I didn't really think the "deeper" RPG elements in ME1 added very much to the experience. It plays a lot better than ME1 even if the combat isn't fantastic, and I liked the writing in ME2 better than the writing in ME1. It's the high point of the series for me.

Man, the GAF GameGrumps thread seems to hate GameGrumps now. Still, blows my mind how big Polaris and similar networks have gotten. Disney buying Polaris was pretty huge.

I don't dare go in there. All I hear about it is negative things.

I do think that the Grumps have run their course. Table Flip was an interesting spin, but you can kind of predict what's going to happen in each episode now. I pop in to watch games that I'm interested in rather than watching each episode daily like I used to.

I played ME 2 after replaying ME 1 on PC i had originally finished it on the 360. ME 2 was this garbage on rails shooter that basically discarded everything I liked about ME 1. ME 2 took away all sense of agency over where the story was going, instead it doubled down on the terrible combat systems and linear story telling. I was so angry at the game that I deleted it half way through my play through.

WHY DID THEY DUMB ME 2 DOWN

Wait, so the anime looks like a bad Vita game... are they actually just using game assets to animate this thing? lol

Also, why does this exist when Neptunia exists??

It's pretty stupid.

tumblr_nduykj0kPk1sc3a8ho1_500.gif

tumblr_nduykj0kPk1sc3a8ho2_500.jpg

tumblr_nduykj0kPk1sc3a8ho3_500.jpg

...but it's also kind of amazing

danm999

I would really like to know what information developers are going off which says that people don't care about stories unless you are saving the world/universe and you are the chosen one.

It's about stakes. They need for you to care about what you're doing, and whether you succeed or not, so they make failure the end of the world/universe/multiverse, and your character innately special and crucial to stopping that catastrophe, because it's the fastest/easiest/most economic way of doing that. But it's really easy to get burnt out on this if every single game story revolves around the world ending in some fashion.

Otherwise, they have to get you invested with good character work, mystery, an enthralling story, etc etc and most games (and most entertainment mediums in general) are very bad at doing this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
i was too busy creeping on miranda the whole game to notice any of these things
Without Miranda, there wouldn't be EDI cameltoe. Thanks BioWare.

I loved both ME1 and ME2. I didn't mind them dumbing down the RPG elements in ME2 (and I'm a huge fan of old school Bioware) because I didn't really think the "deeper" RPG elements in ME1 added very much to the experience. It plays a lot better than ME1 even if the combat isn't fantastic, and I liked the writing in ME2 better than the writing in ME1. It's the high point of the series for me.
ME1 plays like an RPG and ME2 is much more a Gears clone. That's fine, and in time, I didn't mind the shift, but in the heat of the moment ME2 was a massive disappointment to me and was a "concession" to the "masses" who didn't like RPG mechanics.

And I found the ME2 story tedious in that nearly every character had daddy issues of some kind. It made the Persona 4 writing/characterizations stand out as well defined and subtle... which is sad considering Persona 4 is full of anime tropes.

Anime is amazing. lol

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mass Effect 2 slander ITT

stahp

No slander here, all factually correct.

I played ME 2 after replaying ME 1 on PC i had originally finished it on the 360. ME 2 was this garbage on rails shooter that basically discarded everything I liked about ME 1. ME 2 took away all sense of agency over where the story was going, instead it doubled down on the terrible combat systems and linear story telling. I was so angry at the game that I deleted it half way through my play through.

WHY DID THEY DUMB ME 2 DOWN

I think I've come to the realization that I am to Mass Effect what Jeff is to Borderlands. The first game was a flawed gem with tons of potential but the sequels didn't expand on the potential and fix the issues. They contracted the scale and cut anything that wasn't fully fleshed out in the first game. I wanted so much for the series to live up to it's potential and take advantage of its universe but they played it safe after Bioware realized they bit off a little more than they could chew with the first game.

I prefer Mass Effect 1, but I think ME2 was a great game as well. They are pretty different games, though. Mass Effect 1 was an RPG with shooting, 2 and 3 were a shooter with RPG mechanics. I'd like them to go back towards the 1 style with the new series, but that has almost no chance of happening.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ME2 is the second best game of last generation.

ME1 is a mediocre game with a great story.

#factsonly

Nishastra

Banned
What annoys me most about Mass Effect 2 is that nothing happens in it. It makes up a bunch of new problems and then solves them. The plot as of the first game does not advance at all.

And thermal clips.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I gave ME2 a try but I just really didn't like the gameplay. Just felt like a really average TPS.

Also ran like shit on the PS3.

Aerobatics

Neo Member
“He is a ghost in the shadows, walking unnoticed through crowds. He can slit an enemy's throat before they even realize he's there, and slip away, never to be seen again. Those few who do notice him soon forget he ever existed… and Cole isn't certain that he does exist.”

-actual official thing someone wrote for a da3 character.

Honestly, I don't really believe the dragon age reviews. Didn't a bunch of sites give dragon age 2 really good reviews?

Jintor

What annoys me most about Mass Effect 2 is that nothing happens in it. It makes up a bunch of new problems and then solves them. The plot as of the first game does not advance at all.

And thermal clips.

Please,e me2 is actually just about how cool you party members are. Hang everything else

I think all the Mass Effect games are great, I had issues with the ending of 3 like most people but, the 25ish hours I played up until the last 15 minutes was fantastic. I felt ME1 was too much of an RPG in detriment to the gameplay, and ME2 streamlined that maybe a little too much, but they had good a balance in ME3 I think.

Renpatsu

Eh, I had a longer post in mind, but figured it wasn't the right thread for it so I'll just ask.

Has any game handled romantic rejection in any nuanced fashion?

justjim89

I've only played Mass Effect 2 and loved it. Put about 2 hours into the original but I couldn't get into it, because I missed the cast of the first game. I don't want to get into any romances with a blue girl or generic brunette lady, Jack is my space lady of choice.

Top Bottom