• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Patryn

I prefer Mass Effect 1, but I think ME2 was a great game as well. They are pretty different games, though. Mass Effect 1 was an RPG with shooting, 2 and 3 were a shooter with RPG mechanics. I'd like them to go back towards the 1 style with the new series, but that has almost no chance of happening.

This is basically me. ME1 is my favorite game ever. When ME2 came out, disappointed didn't begin to cover it. Basically because...

What annoys me most about Mass Effect 2 is that nothing happens in it. It makes up a bunch of new problems and then solves them. The plot as of the first game does not advance at all.

And thermal clips.

This. The whole thong felt more like a side story than a main entry. Then there was the whole sole survivor/Cerberus thing that I still can't quite get over. The whole thing reeked of Bioware suddenly realizing that despite promising a trilogy, they actually had little interest in making one. It didn't help that I could also tell that the nature of the suicide mission meant that it was unlikely any of the ME2 squad members would have a major impact in ME3. I still actually find it hilarious how the ME3 squad is basically the ME1 squad, but with James in place of the dead human, Javik in place of Wrex and then EDI added on.

Regardless, on its own outside of the context of being a middle part of a trilogy which it fails at, it's a great game. I've certainly played and beaten it way more than most games.

Mass Effect would probably have worked better if they made two games instead of three.

Mass Effect trilogy would have been better if they didnt take the lead writer from the first 2 games off the franchise, put him on a MMO that was doomed from the start and put some new guy in his place who decided to get all creative instead of sticking with a story plan that was in the works for 5+ years and had 2 games of set up.

This. The whole thong felt more like a side story than a main entry. Then there was the whole sole survivor/Cerberus thing that I still can't quite get over. The whole thing reeked of Bioware suddenly realizing that despite promising a trilogy, they actually had little interest in making one. It didn't help that I could also tell that the nature of the suicide mission meant that it was unlikely any of the ME2 squad members would have a major impact in ME3. I still actually find it hilarious how the ME3 squad is basically the ME1 squad, but with James in place of the dead human, Javik in place of Wrex and then EDI added on.

Regardless, on its own outside of the context of being a middle part of a trilogy which it fails at, it's a great game. I've certainly played and beaten it way more than most games.

This is what you get for caring about plot in Bioware games. ME2 has the best writing in the trilogy.

mass effect 2's main plot is you literally trying to disrupt some z-tier minions of the actual bad guys from kidnapping libertarian space farmers in the middle of nowhere who are so unimportant that the government is like "pfft whatever"

and then in the end after you stop their terrifying master plan by shooting it right in its cybereye with infantry weapons, it's revealed that it was all kind of pointless because a massive army consisting of the adult versions of the terminator baby you just aborted are all coming anyway so whatever

Renpatsu

Video games in general would have better stories if they all weren't trying to be trilogies before they've sold a single copy.
Or alternatively have the entire trilogy ready in a single copy before release.
Die_Hard_Trilogy_PAL.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is basically me. ME1 is my favorite game ever. When ME2 came out, disappointed didn't begin to cover it. Basically because...

I think ME2 is fine, but when you look at the actual maps and enemy encounter design and compare it to say, Gears or even Uncharted, it doesn't really stack up that favourably. Heck, remember the final boss of ME2?

But yeah, the only way I can appreciate ME2 is to just accept that people only like specific kinds of RPGs. Heck, I'm sure there are still people who hate Fallout 3 because it doesn't play like a FPS.

(Also, ME2's story is entirely forgettable because nothing of consequence could necessarily happen. I still feel bad for the three Jacob fans.)

Also, ME2's story is entirely forgettable because nothing of consequence could necessarily happen.

That turned out to be a good thing in hindsight. Bioware sucks at writing plot, but they do character well. Look what happened when they tried to focus on plot in ME3. ME2 focuses on the strengths of Bioware and Mass Effect.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That turned out to be a good thing in hindsight. Bioware sucks at writing plot, but they do character well. Look what happened when they tried to focus on plot in ME3. ME2 focuses on the strengths of Bioware and Mass Effect.
Except none of it matters, since only the "fan favourites" (ie, the creepers who want to bang Garrus and Tali) got any real development and the 10 other characters from the game became nearly irrelevant in the final game. It's funny that they got rid of Kaidan/Ashley because they probably figure out how to work them in for ME2, then brought them back because it was easier to deal with them than it was to deal with the cast of ME2. lol

xanavi

We should all focus our energies on willing another episode of Metal Gear Scanlon into the upcoming box because it looks like we might not get another episode until Friday.

Also, I watched Akira for the first time the other day. I don't think it's going to change Dan's opinion on anime. I agree with people that say he should watch Redline but now that he's seen Akira
isn't it just going to give him the impression that all anime is giant mutant babies and explosions
?

Except none of it matters, since only the "fan favourites" (ie, the creepers who want to bang Garrus and Tali) got any real development and the 10 other characters from the game became nearly irrelevant in the final game. It's funny that they got rid of Kaidan/Ashley because they probably figure out how to work them in for ME2, then brought them back because it was easier to deal with them than it was to deal with the cast of ME2. lol

The final game is garbage from start to finish, I'm not going to defend that one.

Renpatsu

I agree with people that say he should watch Redline but now that he's seen Akira
isn't it just going to give him the impression that all anime is giant mutant babies and explosions
?
I'd probably like more modern anime if that was the case.

RE_Player

Drew being a Halo fanboy is cute in moments on the bombcast but I don't think I can watch an entire quick look of it. Nothing wrong with it just not interesting too watch.

sjack

Banned

Pretty much this. Mass Effect was the most enjoyable to me when it didn't focus on the "grander scheme of things" like the reaper plot and was more character heavy, like the loyalty missions. I cared more about those than anything from the first game's plot or characters.

RE_Player

This is unbelievably condescending.
Why? I don't really like when any of the other guys are giddy about a game or franchise, like Brad with Destiny for example. Nothing wrong with it and I'm not condemning their feelings I just find it not that compelling to watch. Relax.

oti

Banned
I like the Mario/Nintendo discussions on the podcast. They are good reminders to not care about anything Brad or Jeff have to say about those games. And that's OK, it's still fun listening to their
wrong
opinions.

The positive user reviews on metacritic for Sonic boom are either trolls or Sega employees. I am betting Sega employees.

Also Can't wait for GTA on PS4

5xaOcLKjk50mcdq9BvO.gif

ArjanN

It's a mediocre boring cover shooter with poorly written characters and no plot. Terrible is a stretch; it's a terrible sequel to Mass Effect, but a perfectly competent middling game in its own right.

The writing and characters in ME2 are clearly better than ME1. It's true there's much less focus on the main story, which as a result is weaker. The main story in ME1 was completely generic though. No-one who's read a couple of sci-fi novels should be impressed with that at all really..

Top Bottom