• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

The positive user reviews on metacritic for Sonic boom are either trolls or Sega employees. I am betting Sega employees.

Also Can't wait for GTA on PS4

5xaOcLKjk50mcdq9BvO.gif

it's killing me that the pc version isn't coming out yet.

Somewhat random: Just finished TLOU Left Behind. I forget if they still do a DLC of the year award but if they do, this deserves heavy consideration. I'm not sure i've played a piece of content with better characterizations and writing than that. I faintly remember Brad having played it but i'm really hoping that some of the other members of the crew play it as well. Fuck me, it has me all excited for UC4 even though i hate the idea of Naughty Dog returning to the well on that.

Patryn

Whatever happened to the Lost Rewatch podcast?

I suspect the events in Max's personal life had something to do with it disappearing. I'm sure they're all friends, but I can see CBSi not wanting one of its employees doing a public project with him right now.

Somewhat random: Just finished TLOU Left Behind. I forget if they still do a DLC of the year award but if they do, this deserves heavy consideration. I'm not sure i've played a piece of content with better characterizations and writing than that. I faintly remember Brad having played it but i'm really hoping that some of the other members of the crew play it as well. Fuck me, it has me all excited for UC4 even though i hate the idea of Naughty Dog returning to the well on that.
Is that included in the PS4 version? I plan on picking up the bundle on Black Friday.

Is that included in the PS4 version? I plan on picking up the bundle on Black Friday.

yes, and that's where i played it. It took some getting used to 60 fps TLOU but once you do, oh man, it's so good. Also, once you master the mechanics you should get online. TLOU secretly has one of the best MP modes in years.

popo

Who's taking bets that Assassin's Creed: Rogue will be better than its "main" counterpart ? lol

Not from everything I have heard. Boring short campaign. Lots of pointless side filler. All the signs of it being repurposed DLC fleshed out to cash in on retail release.

I will still play it though if I can get it cheap.

It is, but it's way overhyped on GAF. Unlike the main game Left Behind is very cheesy and obvious.

what's cheesy about it? Having always had younger cousins my whole life, seeing those 2 characters run around and be goofy and playful in such a shitty situation rang pretty true to me. and yeah, it should be obvious given that you know how it ends from the very beginning given what transpires in the campaign. that's a weird thing to hold against it, given that even when you know whats going to happen, the execution of it is so well done that there really isn't anything else in gaming that is comparable. The closest I can think to characters this well written and authentic was the first season of the walking dead, and that is crippled with a buggy engine and stiff animations.

Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast is where it's at now.

I haven't gotten around to listening to an episode, yet.

Eh.. I haven't liked it too much really. I'm following along with the show and listening to the Thumb's rewatch and The Twin Peaks Podcasts original run and I've preferred the Twin Peaks podcast a lot more. Maybe the rewatch would be more enjoyable if I had watched the series already and listened to the spoiler part, but I enjoy that the other podcast having some people that never watched the show before so we're able to hear theories and thoughts from both sides.

Renpatsu

what's cheesy about it? Having always had younger cousins my whole life, seeing those 2 characters run around and be goofy and playful in such a shitty situation rang pretty true to me. and yeah, it should be obvious given that you know how it ends from the very beginning given what transpires in the campaign. that's a weird thing to hold against it, given that even when you know whats going to happen, the execution of it is so well done that there really isn't anything else in gaming that is comparable. The closest I can think to characters this well written and authentic was the first season of the walking dead, and that is crippled with a buggy engine and stiff animations.
The best aspect to the Left Behind DLC is how it re-contextualises the core game mechanics to serve its characters and narrative in an organic fashion.
Edit:
or are you talking about
the halloween store and the contextually-prompted conversations that seem to have like 7-8 interactions? I loved the book of puns, i dont care if people hate puns it was goddamned amazing
Referring specifically to the events in Ellie's flashback such as the brick off and the water gun fight that re-purpose existing mechanics from the main game as well as the QTE fighting game section. All of which only giving players a different context for skills they've already been taught in the main game rather than attempting to force a completely new mechanic into the game.

The best aspect to the Left Behind DLC is how it re-contextualises the core game mechanics to serve its characters and narrative in an organic fashion.

I haven't played the campaign since launch, but what are you specifically referring to? the only thing i can think of is
using bottles/bricks to agro the zombies against the human enemies
but i don't remember if that was in the original game or not. or are you talking about
the halloween store and the contextually-prompted conversations that seem to have like 7-8 interactions? I loved the book of puns, i dont care if people hate puns it was goddamned amazing

but bringing it back to GB, did they do a 2013 DLC of the year? I can't seem to find it and, dammit, that was a good category.

Curufinwe

I really don't get holding out Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants with Infected as the pinnacle of gaming characterization. As I said in TLOU thread at the time:
Wandering around with Ellie's dumb friend and playing some lame mini-games while waiting for her to get herself killed was boring.

Referring specifically to the events in Ellie's flashback such as the brick off and the water gun fight that re-purpose existing mechanics from the main game as well as the QTE fighting game section. All of which only giving players a different context for skills they've already been taught in the main game rather than attempting to force a completely new mechanic into the game.

oh yeah, those scenes were fantastic.
i won the brickmaster challenge but totally got wrecked with the water guns

You can almost sense that ND was having just as much fun with making that DLC as the characters within the game are. I'd easily rank this up there with Minerva's Den and Shadow Broker as some of the best single player DLC ever made.

I really don't get holding out Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants with Infected as the pinnacle of gaming characterization. As I said in TLOU thread at the time:
Wandering around with Ellie's dumb friend and playing some lame mini-games while waiting for her to get herself killed was boring.

considering how they tie it all back to the character and her motivations in the main game, it seems like
experiencing a person's previous experiences with losing someone dear to them while transposing that with her desperately trying to save joel works incredibly well as far as further developing Ellie is concerned. and that's not even getting into the coming of age story about a girl coming to grips with her sexuality in a hostile environment

for a 3 hour DLC, i can't even think full games, let alone other pieces of downloadable content, on the big consoles that had me feeling like what i was playing was unlike anything else i'd ever played in so many different ways. Maybe it's because I'm a gamer in my thirties and i've been watching the evolution of the medium since i've been eating shitty ghosts in Pacman on the atari, maybe im just a sucker for well directed, well written story telling. But I don't think it's hyperbole to say that, as a package, the entirety of TLOU helps push the medium in ways that no other major video game production has even come close.

KingKong

AC1 was somewhat challenging from what I remember, but since then it's been a joke, yeah. The hardest part of the games is figuring out what kind of insane restrictions they put on missions so you don't insta-fail them

Xanathus

I always thought Assassin's Creed was a series that lacked skill and no one could be bad at them...until I watch a Giant Bomb quick look of them.

I've had to stop watching most of their quick looks halfway through for the past month or two because I couldn't stand seeing how bad they are at basic gameplay. I thought that Jeff was one of the not-bad players on the team but it looks like he's... deteriorating?

demidar

I've had to stop watching most of their quick looks halfway through for the past month or two because I couldn't stand seeing how bad they are at basic gameplay. I thought that Jeff was one of the not-bad players on the team but it looks like he's... deteriorating?

Age catches up to everyone.

/debbiedowner

kvk1

Wait why are we arguing about Mass Effect again? This thread has jumped the shark.

I'm sure we'll resume our normal programming of incendiary he-said she-said Twitter/Tumblr/etc. escapades soon enough.

I mean, fuck talking video games.

The supposed Irish accents in the first 5 minutes of Rouge make me want to roll up and die.

Danny should be there - if only to sign.

I will keep going

LeBart

Speaking of video games, I just watched The Rock for the first time.

It was horrible and I fucking loved it!

Since Dan arrived I started watching Wrestling and Michael Bay movies... I'm not sure I'm okay with this.

Xater

Since Dan arrived I started watching Wrestling and Michael Bay movies... I'm not sure I'm okay with this.

Hold your horses. The Rock is genuinely good. That in bad Boys are the only two Bay films I can point to that the guy actually can make good films.

AC Rogue actually looks pretty good, if you want more of AC4. I like how it ties in stuff from AC3 and 4 as well.

I really don#t want more though. At this point I really need more from this series. They are still not fixing what's broken. Even Unity is just more of the same but prettier.

AC Rogue actually looks pretty good, if you want more of AC4. I like how it ties in stuff from AC3 and 4 as well.

but what if you thought that AC4 was plagued with tailing and stealth missions and that the boating stuff was decent? can't see the QL now, but i wonder if they even bothered tweaking that stuff at all.

Zaph

There is no irony needed for The Rock. It is an outstanding action film.

Xater

but what if you thought that AC4 was plagued with tailing and stealth missions and that the boating stuff was decent? can't see the QL now, but i wonder if they even bothered tweaking that stuff at all.

by now you should know that Ubisoft doesn't fix things. They might band aid them (like the combat in Unity) but in general they rather add more stuff. Doesn't matter if that stuff is also bad.

It's completely a checkbox design philosophy.

Top Bottom