• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

There is no irony needed for The Rock. It is an outstanding action film.

a weird convergence in time where both Michael Bay and Hans Zimmer managed to not put out total garbage at the exact same time.

I'll credit Harry Gregson Williams with not letting Zimmer ruin the score

LeBart

Hold your horses. The Rock is genuinely good. That in bad Boys are the only two Bay films I can point to that the guy actually can make good films.

There is no irony needed for The Rock. It is an outstanding action film.

I mean... at one point Sean Connery crashes into a tricar parked on the side of the road... and it explodes. This is beyond stupid.
I guess it was a little too over-the-top for me to think it was "good", but my enjoyment of it was not at all ironic. It's an incredibly fun movie.

die hard falls apart with the blonde dude returning at the end. that totally takes a kinda plausible story and immediately shifts it into cartoon territory.

that and alan rickman's terrible american accent, although im not sure if that was intentional or not. feels like it wasn't, though.

Xater

die hard falls apart with the blonde dude returning at the end, though. that totally takes a kinda plausible story and immediately shifts it into cartoon territory.

that and alan rickman's terrible american accent, although im not sure if that was intentional or not. feels like it wasn't, though.

Dude don't get me started on the terrible German in that film, but I still love it. Nothing wrong with a little cartoony-ness.

Falifax

http://instagram.com/p/vWM9xYskWh/

P7pfcfM.png

Xater

For me it's 1 > 3 > 2. I think all are good.

We can all agree though that the rest of the franchise is trash right? Oh god I hope we can agree on that...

Xater

The Rock and Die Hard are great, but neither are Face/Off.

Now that is crazy talk. That film can not be enjoyed unironically. Still John Woo delivered another action film that is among the best ones ever created called The Killer. So I can#t completely hate him for his Hollywood output.

Renpatsu

For me it's 1 > 3 > 2. I think all are good.

We can all agree though that the rest of the franchise is trash right? Oh god I hope we can agree on that...
You are the most correct. Fourth is a parody of the Die Hard franchise and the fifth is just sociopathic violence on screen.

Edit:
Nicholas Cage is one of the worst actors I've ever seen. You guys are crazy.
You need to watch Adaptation.

TraBuch

Banned
Now that is crazy talk. That film can not be enjoyed unironically. Still John Woo delivered another action film that is among the best ones ever created called The Killer. So I can#t completely hate him for his Hollywood output.
Hard Boiled > The Killer

Myggen

Nicholas Cage is one of the worst actors I've ever seen. You guys are crazy.

Nic Cage is one of the most entertaining actors alive. He has made a lot of shit, but he can act when he wants to (Adaptation), has a big role in some classic action movies while also performing some of the most insane, over the top roles of any actor ever. I've watched Vampire's Kiss at least 10 times, it's such a fascinating performance. Like, where did that accent come from?!

Nic Cage goes from legitimately great performances to just insane roles, and I love him for it.

edit: Also, to keep this on topic at least a little bit, the Assassin's Creed: Rogue QL is pretty entertaining.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Die Hard is up there for sure.
Also, Die Hard 2 is underrated

A good day to die hard is the best though.
"Oh no, nuclear radiation everywhere!
Don't worry, we've got this huge vacuum cleaners. No need for hazard suits anymore!"

Such a great, terrible, actually awful movie.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Face/Off and the Rock are on the exact same level. They're both completely braindead, dumb action movies that can be a bunch of fun to watch but are more or less bad movies.

The Rock, on whole, might even be stupider than Face/Off. At least with Face/Off there's just the one really dumb thing that everything else is centered around. The Rock is a sequence of dumb things that happen for dumb reasons and none of what occurs actually makes any sort of logical sense.

Zaph

Nic Cage is one of the most entertaining actors alive. He has made a lot of shit, but he can act when he wants to (Adaptation), has a big role in some classic action movies while also performing some of the most insane, over the top roles of any actor ever. I've watched Vampire's Kiss at least 10 times, it's such a fascinating performance. Like, where did that accent come from?!

Nic Cage goes from legitimately great performances to just insane roles, and I love him for it.

edit: Also, to keep this on topic at least a little bit, the Assassin's Creed: Rogue QL is pretty entertaining.

His Bad Lieutenant sequel is way, way underrated.

Face/Off and the Rock are on the exact same level. They're both completely braindead, dumb action movies that can be a bunch of fun to watch but are more or less bad movies.

The Rock, on whole, might even be stupider than Face/Off. At least with Face/Off there's just the one really dumb thing that everything else is centered around. The Rock is a sequence of dumb things that happen for dumb reasons and none of what occurs actually makes any sort of logical sense.

Dumb and highly entertaining are not recipes for bad when it comes to action movies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dumb and highly entertaining are not recipes for bad when it comes to action movies.

Yes they are. Die Hard is a great movie, dumb things happen but it makes logical sense and still manages to be entertaining. Aliens is a great movie and a great action movie and everything that happens is more believable, and it's about god damned aliens.

The Rock and Face/Off have "so drunk that I can't sit up straight" as a prerequisite for maximum enjoyment. Just because something is an action movie doesn't mean basic things can be ignored entirely.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Lang rocking that Lynch hair.

Also, Gras Simulator.

What the fuck happened to Steam? Does Greenlight not exist any more? Can you put literally any bullshit on Steam now if you put it in early access?

edit: Nevermind. Grass Simulator made it through Greenlight. Democracy is broken. People need to stop giving people the right to decide things for people.

Xater

What the fuck happened to Steam? Does Greenlight not exist any more? Can you put literally any bullshit on Steam now if you put it in early access?

edit: Nevermind. Grass Simulator made it through Greenlight. Democracy is broken. People need to stop giving people the right to decide things for people.

Greenlight always was going to be a broken system. It's nice to lower your standards but people will vote for all kinds of shit. If I remember correctly that game Sterling had a weird video fight with the dev over made into through Greenlight because they promised everyone that voted for it a free copy.

So what is Steam's solution to this bullshit? Curators...

i'd rather have Valve scrap all that shit and hire team that actually goes through submissions.

Lijik

I think Grass Simulator would actually be funny if it was legitimately a grass growing simulation instead of being some jokey fps.

Xater

I think Grass Simulator would actually be funny if it was legitimately a grass growing simulation instead of being some jokey fps.

Also someone told me it's literally someone using default Unity assets plus a couple of other bought assets. There barely went any work into this.

Gotta keep makin' novelty games for those YouTube personalities to yell over. Expect a whole bunch of videos with "GRASS SIMULATOR: DUMBEST GAME EVER?!?!?!?!" in the title when it's released.

Xater

Gotta keep makin' novelty games for those YouTube personalities to yell over. Expect a whole bunch of videos with "GRASS SIMULATOR: DUMBEST GAME EVER?!?!?!?!" in the title when it's released.

And I might even watch a video like that out of my dumb curiosity. I would never spend money on it myself though.

I'm just watching the mailbag where they get a $1000 PC. It's really odd/depressing.

It must be odd knowing you have so many weird fans out there. Weird is probably an understatement for that dude.

Top Bottom