• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Zodzilla

I think it's definitely news. It brings in a good discussion of people undervaluing content and creativity in mobile games for a price while lauding destructive monetary and advertising practices in the expense of timed mechanics.

We're starting to see that sort of toxic timed lockout microtransaction logic in our console/pc games because people act like children whenever they see something they don't agree with. We used to live in a world where an expansion pack would come out and offer more content for a lower price, but now everything seems to revolve in a righteous "this should be free!" or "this isn't at the price point I expected it to be at!" horde.

It's an important discussion to have, frankly.

huh, so assrogue actually isn't embarrassed of ACIII to the point of ignoring it. Good on them, because ACIII gets too much shit and ACIV doesn't get enough. I'm now a lot more interested in Rogue just to see what they do with the ACIII stuff.

Anastasia

I'm just watching the mailbag where they get a $1000 PC. It's really odd/depressing.

It must be odd knowing you have so many weird fans out there. Weird is probably an understatement for that dude.

Drew did say they could use it for stuff, so I don't think it's too weird; it's probably nice to have an extra computer around. They'll probably get more use out of it than the person who sent it in, which is why he mailed it to them in the first place. Either way, Windows 95!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Drew did say they could use it for stuff, so I don't think it's too weird; it's probably nice to have an extra computer around. They'll probably get more use out of it than the person who sent it in, which is why he mailed it to them in the first place. Either way, Windows 95!

I dunno, wether they can use it or not it's still pretty weird that a guy would just send them a 1000$ PC cause he was too lazy to sell it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's certainly interesting, no?

No, not really. Except in that it's an example of how personality driven site doesn't mesh well at all with news articles. It's only posted because it's a game Patrick liked that got bad reviews because of DLC. People being angry at paid DLC (particularly when it isn't the norm on that platform) isn't a story, it's the reality of gaming life for the past 6-7 years.

There might be an interesting proposal for an article to be found in what Patrick posted. Unfortunately, it was posted as a complete article itself.

Zaph

fuck all those reviewers

gonna buy the game and DLC just because of that shit

People can be really stupid when it comes to money and math. They'll happily pay 10p/day for the rest of their lives, but ask them for a one-time £2 payment, and they'll freak out.

The current state of the industry, with expansion packs all but abandoned in favour of piecemeal monetisation, exists thanks to the exploitation of that ignorance.

Joeku

Kinda funny how they were complaining about how unnecessary tutorials are in AC considering how poorly Jeff was playing. He was Bradding it up something serious.

Zaph

Who gives a crap about App store ratings and the idiots who give them?

It's a multi-billion dollar marketplace where the line between massive success and complete failure often hinges not on critical acclaim or curation, but the velocity and content of user reviews. It's interesting.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
No, not really. Except in that it's an example of how personality driven site doesn't mesh well at all with news articles. It's only posted because it's a game Patrick liked that got bad reviews because of DLC. People being angry at paid DLC (particularly when it isn't the norm on that platform) isn't a story, it's the reality of gaming life for the past 6-7 years.

There might be an interesting proposal for an article to be found in what Patrick posted. Unfortunately, it was posted as a complete article itself.
I don't understand the first part. Are you implying Monument Valley is a game only Patrick knows about? It sold pretty well and won Apple's design award, it's a good example of a non-f2p smartphone game.
And paid DLC is a success story for publishers on other platforms, so this is pretty smartphone specific and not a general problem.

I mean, not really considering the state of the app store and reviews and HEY GIVE THIS A GOOD RATING AND GET 5000 SCHMORKLETYBORKS FREE. Who gives a crap about App store ratings and the idiots who give them?
Maybe not everyone knows about "the state of the app store" and how it's so poisonous to every single game that costs money, even if it's just 99 cents.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't understand the first part. Are you implying Monument Valley is a game only Patrick knows about? It sold pretty well and won Apple's design award, it's a good example of a non-f2p smartphone game.

Maybe not everyone knows about "the state of the app store" and how it's so poisonous to every single game that costs money, even if it's just 99 cents.

No, I'm just saying it wouldn't have been brought up if it wasn't a game he enjoyed. Which makes for a real weird impetus for a news story, even weirder when it doesn't expand on the topic at all or go beyond "People are being mean to a thing I liked"

It just would have fit more as either a podcast discussion, a mention in Worth Reading, or an article with a lot more work put into it (Comparisons to reviews of other games with paid add-ons, exploration of whether this is a trend or an anomaly, whether it's just a response to an admittedly short game charging for extra content)

Bacon

entitled folk in general really grind my gears, but there's something about entitled gamers that irks me even more. not sure why that is, but it just does.

I dunno, it bothers me because its video games and it seems a little nutty to get up in arms over something so trivial.

No, I'm just saying it wouldn't have been brought up if it wasn't a game he enjoyed. Which makes for a real weird impetus for a news story, even weirder when it doesn't expand on the topic at all or go beyond "People are being mean to a thing I liked"

It just would have fit more as either a podcast discussion, a mention in Worth Reading, or an article with a lot more work put into it (Comparisons to reviews of other games with paid add-ons, exploration of whether this is a trend or an anomaly, whether it's just a response to an admittedly short game charging for extra content)

Yeah, its just a lazy piece of work. If he wanted to research and write a longer piece about the overall state of mobile game monetization, the impact thereof, and highlight various successes and failures, that'd probably be great. You know, journalism. But this is just him stretching out someone's tweets into a longer article and feels more a promo piece than real news.

The Mario Party stuff is weird. Despite the constant groans of anger and disappointment (mostly from Jeff, but Brad and to a lesser extent Drew), I have to assume that they all know that it is potentially captivating content from the viewer's standpoint. And while they may outright despise the game, they may take enjoyment in knowing that they're making content that is resonating with the community.

no clue if it's any good, but just saw that alexa did her first gamespot stream (with peter)

Alexa, Peter Brown, Captain Toad, 52 minutes long...

2tPdjLZ.gif

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Mario Party stuff is weird. Despite the constant groans of anger and disappointment (mostly from Jeff, but Brad and to a lesser extent Drew), I have to assume that they all know that it is potentially captivating content from the viewer's standpoint. And while they may outright despise the game, they may take enjoyment in knowing that they're making content that is resonating with the community.

I don't know. I was telling a friend about the Mario Party videos, and the conversation went something like this:

"...and he somehow convinced a staff full of people indifferent at best toward Mario Party to play through every one of them, starting at Mario Party for N64"

"That's great! That would be so much fun! I loved those games, especially the early ones, they were the best."

"They're playing 50 turns on each one"

"FUCK! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!"

I imagine that by the time hour three comes around the quality of the content isn't really on their minds. Hell, Jeff might just be spending most of his time trying to understand why people are still watching.

Volcynika

I had a completely shitty week last week, but man. Watched the archive of that on Saturday and it gave me the laughs I needed. Hope they continue on with it soon and get another one out before the end of the year, but I'm sure Dan is on the case.

Patrick's description of Telltales Boderlands game Did anyone care about the story in Borderlands?

Evidently as people. for whatever reason, cosplay as Handsome Jack

Jesus Patrick, you have become pretty dismissive of stuff you don't care.

Patrick's description of Telltales Boderlands game Did anyone care about the story in Borderlands?

to be fair, if he's talking about the first game he's absolutely right. I platinumed BL1 and i remember nothing outside of the vault or something.

That comment was not unreasonable, though. Borderlands has never been popular because of its story. And considering how minimal it is and how underdeveloped the lore is, it is weird that Telltale is making an adventure game in this universe.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
to be fair, if he's talking about the first game he's absolutely right. I platinumed BL1 and i remember nothing outside of the vault or something.

Well, it's no Five Nights at Freddie's but there are a lot of people who loved the characters and the comedy in Borderlands 2.

He is talking about the Telltale game... the one that focus in characters introduced in 2

That comment was not unreasonable, though. Borderlands has never been popular because of its story. And considering how minimal it is and how underdeveloped the lore is, it is weird that Telltale is making an adventure game in this universe.

Obviously. But I'm seeing people really care about the lore or even the playable characters (it seems the DLC of 2 give them more banter). I mean, I would not say is good story but Patrick has doing this for of dismissive in trailers of other games.

Jb

I wouldn't say this is a new development. It's odd that on one hand he's more willing than any other staff member to try games that are outside his comfort zone, but on the other hand he's still constantly mocking stuff he doesn't know much about/like.
I guess that's his attempt at humor. Sarcasm is pretty easy, actual comedy isn't (as demonstrated by how unfunny Alex -and I loved him on Screened- is on QLs).

the cosplay defense doesn't really work. I know enough cosplayers to know that it's more about liking the aesthetics of a character for some people than actually liking the character. Obviously that's not across the board but you can't use it as a defense.

But yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people who like the story, what a weird, dismissive statement to make.

Top Bottom