• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

I've never really understood when people complain about being able to overpower yourself in sandbox games. In Blood Money you can bring along a shotgun and a heavy duty machine gun and just blow your way through the missions without issue but where's the fun in that?

the issue is: why have combat if there's no skill to it?

I know this is an old comparison by now, but Mordor gives you a ton of options, makes you feel like youre slowly evolving into a badass, yet even near the end you can still be overpowered by a crowd of orcs.

if your combat is mindless button presses, it's just gameplay filler at that point and only serves to distract the player from the rest of the game world.

the issue is: why have combat if there's no skill to it?

I know this is an old comparison by now, but Mordor gives you a ton of options, makes you feel like youre slowly evolving into a badass, yet even near the end you can still be overpowered by a crowd of orcs.

if youre combat is mindless button presses, it's just gameplay filler at that point and only serves to distract the player from the rest of the game world.
It's pretty hard to die in Mordor unless you put the controller down once you've upgraded your combo meter skills, I'm halfway through the second area and I haven't died in over 5 hours.

The scariest part of Alex's review for me was the fact AC still has eavesdrop missions. How those weren't purged is beyond me.

At this point they need to go back to the drawing board with the games imo. The only recent game that people have really loved, AC4, was carried purely by all the ship stuff. Most people i've heard from said that was the main draw, and the regular AC stuff was the worst part. It's quite telling that the least Assassin's Creed-y game was the best one in years.

TraBuch

Banned
I forgot to mention a movie while we were on the topic of action movies. As a kid, I thought The Fifth Element was the dumbest thing in the world but now, whenever I see it on TV, I just have to sit and watch the entire thing. Absolutely love it.

danm999

At this point they need to go back to the drawing board with the games imo. The only recent game that people have really loved, AC4, was carried purely by all the ship stuff. Most people i've heard from said that was the main draw, and the regular AC stuff was the worst part. It's quite telling that the least Assassin's Creed-y game was the best one in years.

Indeed.

All those modular modes that now make up the majority of missions are just the things from AC1 you had to do before you could unlock the actual assassinations (what people actually enjoyed). All that's changed is that they've been bolted more cohesively onto the story stuff and it was novel at first but after 6 or so games it's a fucking mess.

I don't imagine they'll ever be able to right the ship either since they're releasing multiple games a year and stopping and taking a moment to consider their future is impossible (2015s AC game must already be deep in development before they even received a lick of feedback from Unity).

I remember seeing The Fifth Element in theaters and loving it. Then I saw it again recently. I still loved it.

Fifth Element is part of my holy trinity of 90s sci-fi. Along with Starship Troopers and Demolition Man, if any one of those three movies are airing on TV I will watch it, guaranteed.

Anastasia

Going to stay far away from Unity. Which is a shame, because there are aspects of it that are appealing to me (mainly the art design). Oh well. Mordor gave me my fun, stealth assassination fill this year. And it's really fun!

Alfredo

I should really check out Assassin's Creed Unity.

I really loved Assassin's Creed 3, which everyone seemed to hate, and I really hated Assassin's Creed 4, which everyone seemed to love.

Obviously, I have a bizarro taste in Assassin's Creed games, so I might end up loving Unity.

...just need to wait on a Black Friday deal or something.

Ubisoft should buy the rights to the destruction engine from Red Faction Guerrilla and put it in the next game. I'd love to burst through a wall with a sledgehammer and stab a dude. This goes for any game. Every game would be better with Red Faction destruction.

FStop7

Banned
That comment was not unreasonable, though. Borderlands has never been popular because of its story. And considering how minimal it is and how underdeveloped the lore is, it is weird that Telltale is making an adventure game in this universe.

It's not weird at all. "Underdeveloped lore" means that Telltale is free from having to deal with "continuity" and "canon" nitpicky BS.

It's pretty hard to die in Mordor unless you put the controller down once you've upgraded your combo meter skills, I'm halfway through the second area and I haven't died in over 5 hours.
I dunno, I went straight for the lieutenants and the chiefs in the second map so I was getting lit up occasionally. Maybe it was just me then

sixghost

It's not weird at all. "Underdeveloped lore" means that Telltale is free from having to deal with "continuity" and "canon" nitpicky BS.

That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that they've got almost nothing to work with other than the fact that the name Borderlands is something people know and like.

True, but it also means that there is potentially very few people who would be interested in playing an adventure game in this universe. I like Borderlands a lot; I have no intention of every buying this game.

current-GB is great but they really need to do more random dumb office videos

They're making up for all those years without regular playthroughs of ridiculous Japanese video games, so it evens out, really.

Honestly, when Giant Beast seriously gets going
i.e. when they have an office larger than a closet and they hire Cara Ellison
I think that'll be the best era yet.

current-GB is great but they really need to do more random dumb office videos

I don't think any of the GB studios now have that same chemistry as they did back then. It will take time to build that stuff back up. GB West only has Drew, Jeff, and Brad from the old crew, right? Dan's great, but he's got an entirely different vibe from the rest of the crew. He's kind of his own brand of fun. It's not a bad thing, mind you, but it's probably why you won't see anything like the days when the old crew was still together.

Edit: What is the normal premium price?

Myggen

I don't think any of the GB studios now have that same chemistry as they did back then. It will take time to build that stuff back up. GB West only has Drew, Jeff, and Brad from the old crew, right? Dan's great, but he's got an entirely different vibe from the rest of the crew. He's kind of his own brand of fun. It's not a bad thing, mind you, but it's probably why you won't see anything like the days when the old crew was still together.

Edit: What is the normal premium price?

$50.

Also no more weird limits.

That said, they really should just make it 35 bucks all the time and have the 50 dollar version for people who want a shirt.

I think they're doing alright with $50. People still buy it at that price, and that way they can have sales at $35 instead of an even lower price. The t-shirt is just a bonus for those who want to buy it, and it's probably mostly profit for GB either way because it's not expensive to make those kind of t-shirts.

Will Smith was playing cartman on southpark, apparently.

Z303ZR3.jpg

59430-47171-oculus_test.jpg

Patryn

So I've been listening to the Bombcast on my commutes and I just got to the part on this week's where they talk about the Mass Effect staff announcements and boy howdy does Jeff sound like he is completely not a fan of Dragon Age Inquisition.

As a person looking forward to that game, I'm kind of worried about next week's Bombcast, because I can easily see Jeff guiding the conversation into a negative direction highlighting its flaws without realizing it. Then again, I guess it'l be good to have some balance and hear about why people would dislike the game.

Top Bottom