• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Megasoum

Banned
If I remember correctly I think the first thing I've ever seen from GB was this

I heard Jeff's name before but I never followed Gamespot.

Funny thing is that I actually started working for Eidos something like a month after he was fired.

santeesioux

I had been aware of Jeff since Gamespot, especially got a kick out of how mad he made Nintendo fans with the Zelda review, but i didn't really start following GB until i bought a Roku several years ago and installed their channel on a whim. Watched the Resident Evil 6 QL and have been watching since.

Risible

I think right before the P4 Endurance Run, so late 2008/early 2009. 1Up was in the midst of its implosion (or was it just before?) and I think I was looking for new podcasts, and the Bombcast was highly recommended. I also think I had seen the Video Thing for Too Human and liked that.

So I guess I must have started following shortly after the site launched?

Wow, this is me to a "T". I bet a lot of people came to GB due to 1UP coming to an end.

I think my first exposure to GB was the quick look for a borderlands DLC. I checked out the Bombcast after and enjoyed it even though I had Ryan and Jeff confused for a while.

Renpatsu

I remember when I knew I was all in because someone asked me if I'd heard the news and I responded thinking that they were talking about the Gerstmann Kane & Lynch saga - turns out they were just talking about Mario Galaxy.

I followed the podcasts and videos that preceded Giant Bomb soon after.

Edit: Not stopping any time soon. Just tacked on another year to my sub.

jgminto

I know I started watching the site prior to the Chrono Trigger ER and after Patrick had joined but I don't remember exactly when. Would be cool if I could remember the first video I watched.

After getting into the 1UP podcasts, I asked around and an online buddy recommended I checked out the Bombcast. I've listened ever since.

I don't recall when I started watching videos, but I remember the building the bomb videos being fairly new when I first saw them. I wish I remembered that transition better. Considering I now watch GB more than TV.

Mully

Followed GB since Kane and Lynch. I didn't really know Jeff at the time, but was interested in GB/Arrow Pointing Down after hearing about it on 1UP Yours and reading about it on GAF. Within a year of the site going live I checked it weekly. By the end of the Sausalitio office I was watching QL's everyday.

justjim89

Is there any video of Jeff hosting Attack of the Show or Cinematech? I've long wanted to see it but can never find it.

Edit: Was a fervent follower of the guys and Greg back at Gamespot, but fell off after Jeff's firing and didn't get into Giant Bomb til the Kirby Epic Yarn QL. I remember loving Button Mashing and On the Spot back in the day.

"But first, Rich!"

"But first, Ryan Davis!"

Anjin M

I have a hard time pinpointing when I got to Giant Bomb. I was not aware of them from GameSpot because I avoided the big sites. I was a long time magazine hold out. The first I heard about Jeff was from that comic from Penny Arcade. I found the site while I was looking for more podcasts. I have been a subscriber since Ryan and Co. threatened to split off half of the podcast for subscribers only. I'm really glad they decided against that, but I've never regretted spending the money.

Scizzy

I learned about the site when Brad was a guest on an eclectic podcast in early 2012 that was primarily about minor league baseball players. The host was a major fan of Giant Bomb and got Brad to guest for like 45 minutes. So Brad, if you're reading this, I'm sure that was a super random thing to do, but you got at least one preminum member out of it.

I learned about the site when Brad was a guest on an eclectic podcast in early 2012 that was primarily about minor league baseball players. The host was a major fan of Giant Bomb and got Brad to guest for like 45 minutes. So Brad, if you're reading this, I'm sure that was a super random thing to do, but you got at least one preminum member out of it.

Uh, what? Brad was on a baseball podcast?

I extended my premium membership for a year with this deal.

I heard about Giant Bomb when it first started but I can't remember when I started with its content to any more-than-slight degree. I knew a (now ex-) GB moderator via another forum and they probably played a part in me starting. Maybe 2010/11 I started on the Bombcast. 2011/12 I started watching the quick looks on YouTube. Late 2012 I joined and got a premium membership. I can't remember the first content or any specifics.

Actually, I might have seen the Noby Noby Boy quick look when it was new (one of the earliest quick looks) but that was an outlier.

BigBoss

I've been a fan of Jeff and the rest of the crew since the Gamespot days, I was a Gamespot Complete member back in the day, I still have some of those E3 DVDs.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

justjim89

I'd love to see a QL or UPF segment on Valkyria Chronicles for PC. Just started playing it today and holy shit it's great! Fire Emblem meets Battalion Wars.

kai3345

Banned
I first got into the site when I was looking for a new video game podcast to listen to once retronauts started to fall off. It was around the time Vinny was playing Dragon Age, which I was also playing at the time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I first got into the site when I was looking for a new video game podcast to listen to once retronauts started to fall off. It was around the time Vinny was playing Dragon Age, which I was also playing at the time.

Did he bewilder you in his ability to double an RPGs playtime?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
FC4 quicklook tomorow? thats quite early for ubi to let them show footage, when are the review embargos up? might be a good sign of the game's quality (kinda like the 1 week early embargo on dragon age)

New MGS tonight? Are they on any sort of regular schedule?

Well this is just the fourth episode of MGS2, but we've had two on Tuesday (right after midnight so technically Monday night), one on Thursday and now one coming on Friday (in an hour). So it seems like they have the Tuesdays locked down, and then they do another one later during the week.
Do you remember what day today is, Jack?
IT'S METAL GEAR SCANLON DAY WOOOOOOOOOOO
AND FRIDAY YEEEAAAAAAAAH

FStop7

Banned
MGScanlon in just a few hours!

Watching the third episode reminded me of how much Rose sucks. Fuck you, Rose. And fuck you too, Raiden. Still really like MGS2 though.

edit: And a Far Cry 4 QL. Really interested to see how that turns out.

Rose was a lot better
(and hotter)
in MGS4 though.

She's a lot better in 4 because you never actually have to call her more than twice.

Do you remember what day today is, Jack?

Well this is just the fourth episode of MGS2, but we've had two on Tuesday (right after midnight so technically Monday night), one on Thursday and now one coming on Friday (in an hour). So it seems like they have the Tuesdays locked down, and then they do another one later during the week.

Fantastic! I figured we were on a Tuesday + "x" day of the week schedule. Works for me!

Can I just say that I can't remember the last time I laughed as hard as I did when:
- Drew performed his bungled/perfect hold-up/kill in the holds
- The look on Drew's face/Dan's reaction/Drew's attempted explanation of Liquid's reappearance
-Drew discovering the R2/Snake's thoughts button during codec calls

Just absolutely dying.

edit: they keep making these MGS videos and I will keep subscribing.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, to buy another year of subscription or not...Current end date: May 2016.

Will there BE a GB in 2017?

Will there be video games in 2017?

FStop7

Banned
Listening to the Bombcast now...

I can't believe that Brad discussed Blizzcon without mentioning a word about Legacy of the Void being fully unveiled, the changes it makes, that it was publicly playable, etc... or that he didn't mention the insane stage for the SC2 WCS tournament.

popo

All the "I have been following Jeff since ..." and "My first experience of Giant Bomb was ..." stories make it seem like Jeff just died. Either that or GB got shuttered/merged with Gamespot.

Myggen

Dan's memory of MGS2 is apprently lacking. Sorry, don't mean to sound totally ungrateful, just good lord that was a ton of time wasted in Strut F.

Yeah, he did say that it was quite some time since he had played MGS2. Surprise that Jason didn't guide him more if he got stuck (won't get to watch the episode until tomorrow).

Top Bottom