• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

K.Sabot

When did you guys start to follow the crew. It must be nearing 10 years for me.

Was Jeff and Ryan fanboy since blond jeff and ryan days. Greg Kassavin was my favorite gamespot reviewer though. Watched a ton of On The Spot and was a regular listener to the Hotspot.

Patryn

I think right before the P4 Endurance Run, so late 2008/early 2009. 1Up was in the midst of its implosion (or was it just before?) and I think I was looking for new podcasts, and the Bombcast was highly recommended. I also think I had seen the Video Thing for Too Human and liked that.

So I guess I must have started following shortly after the site launched?

I thought Jeff was a dickhead for not standing up to play Wii Sports during the Gamespot Wii Launch Stream. - I was going to send him a strongly worded letter about that. "F that guy," I said to myself back then. I've changed.now;

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've been familiar with Jeff for a long long time, his name was always on the reviews that made me scratch my head and sometimes yell when I was younger. I started following them when he got let go though. I never liked his reviews because I had no idea how...uh...unique...his tastes were, but when he got fired it was just gross and I kept an eye on what he was doing. Once the Arrow Pointing Down podcast and the Bombcast were going, I was hooked.

popo

oh god. Timely reminder of why premium is worth it. My cookie expired and I was eye blasted by the Sunset Overdrive site skin.

Edit: What is the normal premium price?

$50. It isn't really a sale as you don't get the $15 t-shirt code. It is beloved of those not in the US though as international shipping can be brutal.

Old image was better though.

2372639-tg.jpg

Just bought premium. How do I stop automatic renewal?

Cancel it immediately. Your existing year still runs.

FluxWaveZ

First heard about them through the 1UP podcast GB was a part of, then listened to the Bombcast for a couple of months before ever visiting the website. Saw the latest episode of the P4 ER featured on the front page (68) and got hooked after that, so I've been a fan since about January/March 2009.

sjack

Banned
I remember Jeff being on G4 while he was unemployed.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/682730/jeff-gerstmann-on-x-play/

I had read GS for many years but that might have been where I saw him on video.

I'm sorry, I had to stop the video before Jeff appeared when I heard OG AC being an example of a Western game being more innovative than the market in Japan, or the idea of the Western Market being more willing to experiment than the Japanese one in general.

I know X-Play have always been anti Eastern gaming, but you would hope that they wouldn't be so glaringly transparent about it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I came to the site cause of a link to the Quicklook of Prince of Persia - The Moviegamething on GoNintendo. I don't even know why I was on GoNintendo.
Kinda weird, really. At least it let's me date the first time I visited GB.

daydream

Banned

Shortly after GB was launched. I started getting into podcasts at the time (mostly 1UP stuff) and, well, someone mentioned the Bombcast so I checked it out. But yeah, the Bombcast was still in its infancy. I quickly caught up with the handful of QLs on the site and the podcast (Arrow Pointing Down!) so I was basically there from the very beginning.

For the longest time, though, I just enjoyed the site quietly, on my own.

Bacon

Shortly after GB was launched. I started getting into podcasts at the time (mostly 1UP stuff) and, well, someone mentioned the Bombcast so I checked it out. But yeah, the Bombcast was still in its infancy. I quickly caught up with the handful of QLs on the site and the podcast (Arrow Pointing Down!) so I was basically there from the very beginning.

For the longest time, though, I just enjoyed the site quietly, on my own.

What?? That's madness! You can't be a true fan until you declare which one you would rather have as your dad.

Alfredo

I didn't know much about Jeff back in the day, other than people were mad at him 'cause of Twilight Princess. Then he got fired 'cause of that Kane and Lynch stuff.

I frequented Joystiq back then, and they had a post talking about how Jeff was starting Giant Bomb, and back then, Giant Bomb was just a weird blog. But I followed it, and they started posting "How to Build a Bomb" videos and I was totally into that. Then I downloaded a few podcasts that were basically just about energy drinks, and then there was a website about video games that I would love from then on.

Teddified

I first checked them out during the PS4 announcement thing, along with the Xbox one. Then around a year ago I started watching the endurance runs, and signed up for premium. Then eventually went through all the videos, I think I finished/ caught up a few months ago.

First starting listening in September 2009. It was an episode where Brad had just come back from a trip home, so that was a good intro.

The Persona 4 Endurance Run soon followed, though I never did catch up before it ended.

FStop7

Banned

February or March of 2008. Whenever the first Arrow Pointing Down (Bombcast precursor) podcast went up. I saw Jeff Gerstmann's name in the description, thought "Oh it's the guy who got fired for being honest, I bet he's got some shit he wants to say", downloaded the podcast and never stopped listening.

pirata

I first started reading Gamespot after seeing this weird thing called a "Nintendo Dual Screen" (Why would anyone make a video game system with two big TV screens attached to it? Is it like those arcade cabinets for racing games that are tethered together to enable multiplier on different screens? I thought) alluded to on the Zelda Universe Forums back around E3 2004 (so...that would have been May 2004, right?). I started following the site religiously and watching the crazy videos that Jeff and crew made, and started listening to the Hotspot when I bought my iPod using two coffee cans full of change in January 2006 (still using it to listen to the podcasts), and have been listening to all of their podcast content ever since (stopped listening to Hotspot and reading Gamespot a week or two after Gerstmanngate, started immediately following Jeff's blog, and then Giant Bomb when it started in blog form).

Damn, it's been over a decade. Wow. As a result, I know way too fucking much about Jeff Gerstmann. What a horrible/wonderful/hilarious/terrifying man.

First piece of GB content I ever saw was the 1v100 Quick Look a long ways back, think it was linked here or somewhere else I frequent.

I didn't follow them regularly until much later. I was looking for good podcasts, and obviously the biggest recommendation was the Bombcast. I almost didn't stick with it because when I started Dead Space 2 had just come out and Brad spent a lot of time talking about it (over two episodes I believe) and it bored the fuck out of me. But I enjoyed all of the non-Dead Space 2 talk around it so I stuck with it. Can't remember when I started watching the video content regularly though.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I like how this NPC reacts to being bumped into during the AC Unity PC quicklook:

dVAeTHF.png

...also, If for some reason you forget to cancel, and get rebilled, just email Rorie a few days after and he will likely refund you.

Cancel the subscription. That stops the automatic renewal IIRC (but you'll still get the full year of course).

oh god. Timely reminder of why premium is worth it. My cookie expired and I was eye blasted by the Sunset Overdrive site skin.

$50. It isn't really a sale as you don't get the $15 t-shirt code. It is beloved of those not in the US though as international shipping can be brutal.

Old image was better though.

2372639-tg.jpg

Cancel it immediately. Your existing year still runs.

I really just press cancel subscription? That seems kind of poorly worded. Well okay, thanks guys.

Also I forgot to mention, it is awesome that they play the audio clip and shake the browser after you make the purchase. That freaked me out for a second

"IT'S A GIRL!!!"

Myggen

MGScanlon in just a few hours!

Watching the third episode reminded me of how much Rose sucks. Fuck you, Rose. And fuck you too, Raiden. Still really like MGS2 though.

edit: And a Far Cry 4 QL. Really interested to see how that turns out.

Man, not even sure. I first started listening to it after hearing it name dropped on the CAGCast some years back. I really got into it during E3 2011, I think, because their after hours show with Jaffe, Muir and Cowboy was amazing.

MGScanlon in just a few hours!

Watching the third episode reminded me of how much Rose sucks. Fuck you, Rose. And fuck you too, Raiden. Still really like MGS2 though.

edit: And a Far Cry 4 QL. Really interested to see how that turns out.

More importantly, Sonic Boom QL tomorrow!

AcridMeat

Banned
I swear I just told this story in the thread, but this was my first exposure to Giant Bomb as a website, when they opened their PAX 08 panel with it.
Certainly. There are very clear, distinct divides in Giant Bomb eras, at least to me. Between a few like "Basement GB", "Whiskey Media at its peak GB", and now "post-Dan and Jason hirings GB", there's certainly an element of "you had to be there" going on.
Oh my goodness I remember that block party stream. Things got so nuts towards the end. It was the early days of Dr. Tracksuit, before he joined the the wrestling federation.
I think I'm at around 11 or 12 years now. I was in middle school and a big Gamespot fan.

edit: Did the math it's 14 damn.
Was Jeff and Ryan fanboy since blond jeff and ryan days. Greg Kassavin was my favorite gamespot reviewer though. Watched a ton of On The Spot and was a regular listener to the Hotspot.
Ha same here. Greg was always my favorite, and I adored On the Spot and Button Mashing. I was actually way more sad about Rich Gallup leaving since he was the host of those, though Jeff was huge too. It was a crazy time seeing personalities leave one by one from the place after Jeff was fired.

Megasoum

Banned
I feel like if Ubi let's them do that days before the launch it can't be that bad.

I've only seen good things from FC4 so far so I'm not really worried.

Between the different gameplay demos and the time I played with it it was great.

Very similar to FC3 but then again, FC3 was my GOTY so I really don't mind.

Fantastapotamus

I've only seen good things from FC4 so far so I'm not really worried.

Between the different gameplay demos and the time I played with it it was great.

Very similar to FC3 but then again, FC3 was my GOTY so I really don't mind.

What I've seen of FC4 is basically "It's like Far Cry 3 in the Himalayas. You have a grapling hook. You get the wing suit sooner"
So, I'm pretty psyched about that game.

Megasoum

Banned
What I've seen of FC4 is basically "It's like Far Cry 3 in the Himalayas. You have a grapling hook. You get the wing suit sooner"
So, I'm pretty psyched about that game.

I played for a little bit earlier this week and I was just walking around the map without a mission or anything. Found an elephant so decided to ride it.... Was flipping VW Westfalias and throwing sherpas around using my trunk whitin minutes.... GOTY lol

Fantastapotamus

I played for a little bit earlier this week and I was just walking around the map without a mission or anything. Found an elephant so decided to ride it.... Was flipping VW Westfalias and throwing sherpas around using my trunk whitin minutes.... GOTY lol

Sounds like it'll be definitely worth the 25€ I spent on one of those Nvidia codes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just setting it in the Himalayas makes it a lot more interesting for me.

We need more mountainous terrain in videogames.

Megasoum

Banned
Sounds like it'll be definitely worth the 25€ I spent on one of those Nvidia codes.

Ugh... So I bought one of those NVIDIA code this morning in the BST thread. I redeemed it successfully on the NVIDIA website and got the Ubi Shop promo code.

I went to the shop and saw that they offered 20% off the season pass so added both the game and the pass to my cart and applied the code. Final price was something like 23$. I pick Paypal as my payment option and go through the process on the site. When it sends me back to the Ubi shop I got a "Payment failed" error message and now the promo code doesn't work anymore....

So I'm out both the code and the game... FUCKING GREAT.

Sent a ticket to Ubi support but haven't heard back yet.

Egg0

Banned
First GB content I ever saw/heard was a bombcast. I think Jared Rea was on it on, but the most distinct thing I remember was that the bombcast art for that week was Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon. Any time I think of how I became a GB fan, I think of that image. It's weird.

It took me like a week to realize that they had video content on the site, cause I was just listening to old bombcasts, trying to catch up.

Top Bottom