• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Indignate

Yeah, he did say that it was quite some time since he had played MGS2. Surprise that Jason didn't guide him more if he got stuck (won't get to watch the episode until tomorrow).

He tried, but then Dan shut him down telling him not to be saying things if he's looking up a guide because he likes the "we don't know what we're doing" atmosphere.

If anything Jason should be the gatekeeper since Dan can't anymore and just make sure that Drew is always on the right path rather than spending so much time frustrating himself.

Myggen

He tried, but then Dan shut him down telling him not to be saying things if he's looking up a guide because he likes the "we don't know what we're doing" atmosphere.

If anything Jason should be the gatekeeper since Dan can't anymore and just make sure that Drew is always on the right path rather than spending so much time frustrating himself.

It's a tough balancing act though. You see people complaining if they guide him around too much (like you saw with Ian and Dark Souls when Vinny got stuck). But I'm in the camp of giving hint if the person playing gets stuck for a while.

All the "I have been following Jeff since ..." and "My first experience of Giant Bomb was ..." stories make it seem like Jeff just died. Either that or GB got shuttered/merged with Gamespot.

I remember when Jeff got fired from GameSpot the staff put out a video of some of the best moments of Jeff, kinda like he had died or something. It didn't help that at the start of said video everyone was together in a room with sad faces... He didn't die but it sure seemed like he did.

Unfortunately I can't find the video :(

kiyomi

Oh my god this is infuriating. DREW JUST GO TO STRUT B.

The whole MGS2 stuff has been infuriating, honestly. Still enjoying it but Drew's playing like he's barely played a videogame before, and if not that, Dan is doing his best to ruin some of the best moments.

If he gets stuck, sure, just remind him to call the Colonel or something. But the stuff with the hatch and things, Dan just needs to let Drew figure it out, because right now Drew is playing kinda.. lazily? And I think that is to the detriment of watching him play the game.

I mean whatever. It's a fun series. But as someone playing MGS2 himself for the first time, I'm really glad I can enjoy the game completely isolated from any from of help.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You can't really get frustrated at drew not knowing how to play and also get frustrated at dan guiding him around when he's lost.

You can't really get frustrated at drew not knowing how to play and also get frustrated at dan guiding him around when he's lost.

Yeah but I only sometimes get frustrated at the latter. It's more annoying seeing someone giving wrong information.

Dan should just let Drew get better by himself and not bother pointing out every easter egg since it seems to just confuse him and waste time that could be used to learn the game mechanics. I wanna see this play out naturally and laugh at the reactions to the madness that is MGS2. :)

Haven't watched EP. 4 yet.

Guess I'll re-up my sub whilst it's cheap. They stack, right? My current sub lasts until Feb 2015, so this should knock that up to Feb 2016?

edit: nvm, it says on the billing screen... reading comprehension is hard.

hamchan

Lol Dan telling Jason not to look stuff up. I'm pretty sure Jason was just talking because he knows and has a much better memory of the game than Dan has!

Jason saved that episode from Drew just being stuck in strut F, which he was only in because Dan said he was going the right way.

demidar

Lol Dan telling Jason not to look stuff up. I'm pretty sure Jason was just talking because he knows and has a much better memory of the game than Dan has!

Jason saved that episode from Drew just being stuck in strut F, which he was only in because Dan said he was going the right way.

Yeah, I'm kind of in awe at how poor Drew's video game orienteering skills are.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You seem awfully defensive, it's not like I attacked Drew's personage with malice.

It was neither direct at you specifically nor meant to be taken too serious, sorry if it came across like that.
I'm just reminded of the P4 comments where people were furious about everything they did. And then some were angry cause they though they looked something up.

demidar

It was neither direct at you specifically nor meant to be taken too serious, sorry if it came across like that.
I'm just reminded of the P4 comments where people were furious about everything they did. And then some were angry cause they though they looked something up.

Hmm, I wasn't really around for the P4 ER (earliest was DP) but yes, I can understand being ticked off by that stuff. I wouldn't be opposed to turning off comments for ERs and other such playthroughs.

Myggen

I think there's a line they can cross/have crossed where there needs to be some kind of progress.

I'll argue that the progress has been faster in MGS2 so far, at least until this episode, than in MGS1. There will always be a balance between saying too much and saying too little, but I'm sure it'll balance itself out. Dan obviously listens to the feedback from the community on these things.

I used to get my gaming news from magazines and Digitiser (UK based teletext gaming magazine). Once I got online I mainly read IGN. I started following Gamespot mainly for their E3 coverage and usually bought a month's worth of their paid subscription around about then. I think the first time I started following them more often was the E3 with the MGS 2 trailer, so around about 2000 or 2001?

I don't think I listened to The Hotspot from day one exactly, but it was fairly early on. Been following the crew mostly ever since.

Looking forward to the Far Cry 4 quick look. Hoping it's good as I'm planning on getting it day one, although all the Unity stuff has made me wary, naturally.

Curufinwe

I'm sorry, I had to stop the video before Jeff appeared when I heard OG AC being an example of a Western game being more innovative than the market in Japan, or the idea of the Western Market being more willing to experiment than the Japanese one in general.

I know X-Play have always been anti Eastern gaming, but you would hope that they wouldn't be so glaringly transparent about it.

It continued all the way to the nonsense Sessler said about Sony in his last year covering games.

Xater

I used to get my gaming news from magazines and Digitiser (UK based teletext gaming magazine). Once I got online I mainly read IGN. I started following Gamespot mainly for their E3 coverage and usually bought a month's worth of their paid subscription around about then. I think the first time I started following them more often was the E3 with the MGS 2 trailer, so around about 2000 or 2001?

I don't think I listened to The Hotspot from day one exactly, but it was fairly early on. Been following the crew mostly ever since.

Looking forward to the Far Cry 4 quick look. Hoping it's good as I'm planning on getting it day one, although all the Unity stuff has made me wary, naturally.

Same here. Was a pretty regular Gamespot user thanks to their E3 coverage. Back then it was really novel. Listened to On The Spot as well. Technically my earliest GB experience would be Arrow Pointing Down I guess. Real old school ;)

Top Bottom