• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

They really need to get Jeff on these as a third, his knowledge + comedy would make these even better than they already are. As proven by the Xbox one he did.

I don't understand why they were all bickering when they got caught! It's not like they protested entering the temple, they were all for it. Normally Sonic is hardly leadership material, but he's at least supposed to be a good friend to his pals, so yeah.

The characterisation seems odd. They should have Ian Flynn write these games, he understands those characters perfectly.

Get the people behind the UK Sonic The Comic to write the games, then we might be getting somewhere.

Jim Sterling making some serious (and well-deserved!) bank with that Patreon. Gotta think Jeff would be able to do considerably better, if he were so inclined. Just sayin'...

Brashnir

Jim Sterling making some serious (and well-deserved!) bank with that Patreon. Gotta think Jeff would be able to do considerably better, if he were so inclined. Just sayin'...

Giant Bomb subscriptions are already basically a Patreon, and he gets to employ his friends too.

Giant Bomb subscriptions are already basically a Patreon, and he gets to employ his friends too.

Sure, I imagine coworkers and a sense of obligation to the brand he built are a big part of it. But still, almost no doubt that he could make more on his own without CBS as a middleman.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Don't see how that would benefit him.
Now he's in a position where he works with friends, has a steady and probably pretty reliable paycheck and still has a lot of freedom. Jeff doesn't feel like a guy who's in it just for the money.

anything worth watching from UPF?

Eh, not really. Maybe they did something amazing at the end, but I didn't watch it. Pretty slow UPF.
Some mobile games (WWE Superstar, the monster battle game Drew talked about), Mario Kart 8 DLC and a bit of Dragon Age Inquisition

I hate commenting on what these guys make but I just looked at Jim's Patreon numbers. Jeff is most certainly making WAY more than that at CBSi especially when you include benefits.

Zaph

$4k/month before taxes isn't a lot of money at all. That figure will probably continue to rise, then it'll fall after a couple billing cycles. Not a very stable income.

It's a good way of getting his independent career off the ground, but no doubt it's until he can secure more mature revenue streams.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is he going to go completely independent or is he still going to do some freelance work? If he uses the income from patreon to supplement freelance stuff it probably is sustainable.

I hate commenting on what these guys make but I just looked at Jim's Patreon numbers. Jeff is most certainly making WAY more than that at CBSi especially when you include benefits.

Only been like 12 hours since it started tho. I'm also assuming that Jeff would raise alot more than Jim, but maybe I'm underestimating how popular Jim has gotten.

Completly independent. At least that's the goal I think.

The trouble is that Patreon supporters can just pull out whenever. It would be nice if he could get under another company that just lets him do what he wants. It wasn't like Escapist was treating him poorly (I don't think), it's just that he had a fundamental disagreement with the way they were running the site.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Only been like 12 hours since it started tho. I'm also assuming that Jeff would raise alot more than Jim, but maybe I'm underestimating how popular Jim has gotten.

I have to imagine living costs in Mississippi are lower though. And again, Jim works alone and is 100% dependent on the generosity of people on the internet. Sure, to a certain degree so is Jeff, but he doesn't have to entertain them all by himself.
Jim had a big public disagreement with the Escapist over a GamerGate article some time ago, and I doubt he did this completly unrelated to this.

Why did Jim leave Escapist ?

It feels like he's been trying to go the independent route for a while now. He probably wants to dedicate more time to his video content and not have to spend time doing stuff for the Escapist, and Patreon gives him the ability to not be financially reliant on having the Escapist job.

Jothel

What was the mobile game that Drew played on this weeks UPF? Not in a position to watch it right now but I kinda wanna play it

Xater

I want to play Monster Strike. Looks like the right kind of time filler on the go. Sadly not available in Europe. No idea why.

daydream

Banned
Brad commenting multiple times on the bike steering being bad is hilarious, lol. At least Drew wonders if he's doing something wrong. nm, he's just as oblivious.

Edit: lmao, Dan's reaction to the Jose Canseco tweet

Only 1hr & 15 minutes through hard boiled and i already feel like this

image.php

So I tried out that Monster Striker game.

This appeals to me on many levels. Ludicrous combo potential (which is really flashy when you get a good set going off), marbles-like contact, and Pokemon collectathon.

I hope they can play Hydro Thunder on UPF or as a special. That UFO boat was the best.

Myggen

Coldman, could you add a "what Premium content to watch" section to the next OT? It would be great to just be able to point to the OP when someone asks. You could use my list or some other list.

Top Bottom