• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Coldman, could you add a "what Premium content to watch" section of the next OT? It would be great to just be able to point to the OP when someone asks. You could use my list or some other list.

I will do. It's a good list, but frankly I couldn't be bothered to fuck around with the current OP at this stage. It's definitely going in the next OP (which should include a better idea of ongoing video content anyway).

Myggen

I will do. It's a good list, but frankly I couldn't be bothered to fuck around with the current OP at this stage. It's definitely going in the next OP (which should include a better idea of ongoing video content anyway).

Oh yeah, I didn't mean for this OT since it almost done anyway.

Alucrid

Banned
I want to play Monster Strike. Looks like the right kind of time filler on the go. Sadly not available in Europe. No idea why.

I don't really like it as much as Terra Battle. In order to progress a lot easier you have to team up with people, of course it's not overly easy to do so, and you probably have to join the Line gaf group to get regular parties. Doing it solo just becomes a bit of a bore, especially when it's a pain in the ass to get the materials to Evolve/Ascend your monsters.

popo

Just about everyone in games journalism could make more money by just quitting games journalism. It is why so many use is as a stepping stone to a dev/community manager/PR job.

Good luck getting a mortgage off the back of a successful Paetron. Fine in the short term if you are relatively young but no real way to live.

Myggen

Comments section of Gamespot posting about the GB membership sale is a sad bunch. Props if any of you were posting positivity there.

Paying for an internet site lolololololol

Interesting post by Jeff on his new Ello(!) profile:

Planning to play through the rest of Far Cry 4 this weekend. I wish there were more mom-and-pop game shops that loved to break street dates, it makes testing a game's multiplayer a lot easier when you can reliably find other people playing.

In the previous generation, the Xbox 360's piracy problems actually solved this issue, since most games leaked early and enough people were bold enough to risk getting onto Xbox Live with a bootleg to ensure a small, but steady early userbase. I know some developers secretly valued the pirates in this way, too, since they helped kick the tires on multiplayer servers right before launch.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Comments section of Gamespot posting about the GB membership sale is a sad bunch. Props if any of you were posting positivity there.

I thought this comment was the funniest / most absurd:

"why is there a subscription fee for a site that is owned by a multi-million dollar company (cbs)?"

popo

Where exactly?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/get-a-30-discount-on-your-giant-bomb-subscription/1100-6423614/

It is mostly just people saying "why would you pay for anything on the internet" which is far from a unique view and the sort I would expect from the Gamespot audience. There are people who like GB and post on here that share the same view. I remember teasing some dude about a week or so back who said they could never justify paying for website content.

TBH the GB fan who is replying to every negative comment is doing more harm than good.

Obviously folks are free to dislike GB and all that jazz, but sometimes it's just bizarre seeing how different the demographics are between GB and GS.

Thousands watching Jeff clean out his garage or listening to him drive home from work Vs. hundreds of people watching the super well produced The Lobby.

It is why the much heralded merger doesn't make a lot of business sense at the moment.

Does GB do Christmas sales? I'm not exactly in the position this month to drop another $35, what with all the game releases, but I have enjoyed the premium stuff so far.

It has in the past. Which is no guarantee but I would say it is likely.

Does GB do Christmas sales? I'm not exactly in the position this month to drop another $35, what with all the game releases, but I have enjoyed the premium stuff so far.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

This is a great comment
I lost faith in GiantBomb when 2K Games is practically paying those guys off to overrate the WWE while ignore other wrestling promotions and unfairly bash TNA.
Actually, this guy is really convinced about that stuff since he repeats it later on.

Anyway, it's fair to dislike Premium stuff, but I'm pretty used to paying for....uhm things I enjoy. So paying like 50$ which is cheaper then an AAA game for a year worth of content, while supporting cool people doing cool things doesn't seem that crazy to me.

Myggen

Nah, seeing as they have a sale now they'll probably not do another sale for a few months.

Charging for membership is just dirty

It's not surprising that a lot of people are just opposed to the idea of paying for anything on the internet.

popo

This is a great comment

Anyway, it's fair to dislike Premium stuff, but I'm pretty used to paying for....uhm things I enjoy. So paying like 50$ which is cheaper then an AAA game for a year worth of content, while supporting cool people doing cool things doesn't seem that crazy to me.

It is okay to be a fan and not want the extras. I am a fan of a number of sites that I would not dream of paying for.

I originally only started paying to support the site as I feared it would go under otherwise. I am happy with the value I have had over the years though.

Nah, seeing as they have a sale now they'll probably not do another sale for a few months.

yeah, I think they only stopped having regular sales because when they re-coded the site the infrastructure to spit out gift codes was just not available.

AcridMeat

Banned
This is a great comment

Actually, this guy is really convinced about that stuff since he repeats it later on.

This is basically what it boils down to. I rarely watch TV anymore, GB content took it's place years and years ago. Cheapest TV subscription ever. Granted I say that while only just becoming a member again, I didn't have the time to see all of the content they had been producing but I'm back and hopefully can continue to be a member from here on out.

Myggen

This is basically what it boils down to. I rarely watch TV anymore, GB content took it's place years and years ago. Cheapest TV subscription ever. Granted I say that while only just becoming a member again, I didn't have the time to see all of the content they had been producing but I'm back and hopefully can continue to be a member from here on out.

"Premium Premium Sale (non-recurring) member till Oct 26, 2016"

I'm in it for a long time :p

Renpatsu

Reckon it's because GS demographic may skew younger? The survey for the Bombcast awhile back showed that 57% of duders were aged 25-34.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I wish they wouldn't have this sale in the most expensive gaming month of the year for me.

Reckon it's because GS demographic may skew younger? The survey for the Bombcast awhile back showed that 57% of duders were aged 25-34.

I think it has more to do with not knowing the site. When I first joined GB I wouldn't have paid anything for it (though IIRC there wasn't even a premium option back then). Why? Podcast is free, QLs are free and paying for stuff on the internet seemed krazy with a k. It was after spending enough time on the site and learning to appreciate the crew and what they do that I was ready to pay for something.

If you never paid for a premium membership anywhere it seems crazy, so I can understand some of them.

This is basically what it boils down to. I rarely watch TV anymore, GB fnord took it's place years and years ago. Cheapest TV subscription ever. Granted I say that while only just becoming a member again, I didn't have the time to see all of the fnord they had been producing but I'm back and hopefully can continue to be a member from here on out.

Exactly. Can I watch Metal Gear Scanlon on TLC? I thought not!

This is a great comment

The irony is that GB is one of 2K's harshest critics.

repeater

Jeff being paranoid about birds in the Far Cry 4 QL and
Brad freaking the HELL out when they were subsequently attacked by an eagle
was some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a long time. :D

This round of sales on Premium memberships, is the sale price only applicable for new members or can you stack another year at this price if you're already a member?

It's one of those things that's hard to understand the value of until you have it. I was lucky enough to be gifted my first year by a fellow GB-GAFfer, who I'm eternally grateful to, but since then I'm paid the $35 two years in a row just because fuuuuck I love the content so much.

It's my favourite thing on the internet. That's worth something to me, and if that something is £30 or so than so be it.

ev0

Any word how long the membership sale lasts for? Was expecting it to hit closer to Black Friday. But I can do it now if I gotta haha.

Any word how long the membership sale lasts for? Was expecting it to hit closer to Black Friday. But I can do it now if I gotta haha.

Normally they just put a limited number up for sale and it lasts until they're gone. I don't see any counter this time though. I'd expect it to run at least through Thanksgiving weekend.

santeesioux

Exactly, if it wasn't for sports, I'd only need GB, Crunchyroll, Netflix, and possibly Hulu, plus Youtube subscriptions like Redlettermedia. If NBA League Pass didn't black out local teams, i wouldn't need cable at all.

Far Cry 4 really seems to be just Far Cry 3: Himalayas. A bit disappointed (though I don't know what I was expecting)

Yeah I feel the same, I immediately get turned off from a game when I see it using the exact same animations, gun models, HUD, and basically everything else from the previous game, It seriously looks like a Far Cry 3 expansion pack with new environment, characters, and few new animals, like those mother fucking birds.

daydream

Banned
Far Cry 4 really seems to be just Far Cry 3: Himalayas. A bit disappointed (though I don't know what I was expecting)

I didn't play FC3 and I actually came around on 4 over the course of the QL. Seemed way more interesting to me. I'd probably pick it up if I had a PS4.

Myggen

The Gamespot article about the discount says "The wisest purchase you'll make this fortnight", so that should mean about two weeks (I doubt Americans use that phrase, so it was obviously wiritten by...Danny?!). Over Thanksgiving would be my guess.

Yeah I feel the same, I immediately get turned off from a game when I see it using the exact same animations, gun models, HUD, and basically everything else from the previous game, It seriously looks like a Far Cry 3 expansion pack with new environment, characters, and few new animals, like those mother fucking birds.

Yeah, this looks like something that'd come out the following year after FC3. Even the bait system probably was in FC3 but got scrapped (since it's in Blood Dragon).

While I sometimes find myself hoping for more sequels to games I love (like Deus Ex), every time I see one of these games I'm glad that they take their time making those.

The birds are cool, though.

ev0

Normally they just put a limited number up for sale and it lasts until they're gone. I don't see any counter this time though. I'd expect it to run at least through Thanksgiving weekend.

The Gamespot article about the discount says "The wisest purchase you'll make this fortnight", so that should mean about two weeks (I doubt Americans use that phrase, so it was obviously wiritten by...Danny?!). Over Thanksgiving would be my guess.

Haha thanks guys. I'll put it off til next week bc I'm a procrastinator.

Top Bottom