• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Zaph

Did Gamespot change the score of their Halo review or did they just review it ? It got a 6 by the way.
Just reviewed it. GS has been pulling no punches recently - using their full scale and reviewing games as-is rather than how they may end up after several patches.

Oh, people who are more familiar with AC, the only games I've played are the first two. Is there another one I should try out if I enjoyed 2 immensely? Is Black Flag good enough to dabble in it again?

Oh, people who are more familiar with AC, the only games I've played are the first two. Is there another one I should try out if I enjoyed 2 immensely? Is Black Flag good enough to dabble in it again?

In my opinion brotherhood is better than 2 and the boat stuff plus freedom cry made me love black flag.

Seems like it was just reviewed (yesterday). As far as I know Metacritic doesn't reflect score changes (Polygon's score is still 95) and the Gamespot review is 60 there.

Polygon's review system is such a joke. If you're rescoring games then the score should go up because patches have made the game better. If you're dropping from a 9.5 to an 8 its not because the game got worse, its because you fucked up the original review.

Polygon's review system is such a joke. If you're rescoring games then the score should go up because patches have made the game better. If you're dropping from a 9.5 to an 8 its not because the game got worse, its because you fucked up the original review.

Yeah I thought the rescore reflected badly on them. It shows they put out a review when they didn't even play half the game, and their 'updated' score is what it should have been in the first place if they actually reviewed the entire game.

I don't understand the whole review in progress thing either. Shouldn't you just say that the review is not ready and you need more time with it ? Rather than publishing the review without a score?

Myggen

I see what they're going for with that system; games change so much now from launch that there should maybe be a way to change the score based on that. But the way it's implemented by Polygon is so random that it's pretty worthless. It's almost always just reflected in negative changes (online problems mainly), not positive ones. And they could've avoided a lot of the review score changes (Sim City might be the most famous one) by just waiting a couple of days before releasing reviews of games with a heavy online element that you can't be sure is gonna work when the game is released.

Anyways, started watching the WoW videos on Gamespot now and I should've known what to expect when I started reading the comments on this video... There's no mods left to moderate comments on GS apparently.

I don't understand the whole review in progress thing either. Shouldn't you just say that the review is not ready and you need more time with it ? Rather than publishing the review without a score?

GB talked about this on one of the podcasts: People are looking for the reviews around the time of release, and sites thrive on getting the reviews out promptly.

Anyways, started watching the WoW videos on Gamespot now and I should've known what to expect when I started reading the comments on this video... There's no mods left to moderate comments on GS apparently.

Gamespot was the only website for me to go for the purpose of reading news and reviews about video games for many years now (practically ever since it appeared on the web), but that's it for me, can't stand this bull$hit anymore. For the past couple of years they posted just WAY too much of this LGBT nonesense that has NOTHING to do with games apart from these g@y people being gamers at the same time, but who the heck isn't a gamer nowadays? This website used to be about GAMES, NOT GAMERS, leave alone sexual preferences of some gamers. If I was interested in LGBT propaganda/information, I'd google that instead of visiting website about games.

Anyway, had enough of seeing this rubbish that's irrelevant to topic, whatever excuses some people might make for putting this up over and over again.

I've checked some other gaming websites, and apparently they're not into this kind of stuff, luckily. Gonna read games news there from now on, and sure as hell never coming back to Gamespot with it's g@y headlines. Some might say that I don't have to click and read these news, but that's not the point. The point is that it's irritating to see this kind of headlines on a website that's not supposed to be about it (and for many years it wasn't, but now Gamespot became a G@yspot, which is truly sad).

I need a drink.

Zaph

It's disgusting. They left their youtube comments on too.

It's shameful what sites are willing to ignore for the traffic benefits audience engagement brings.

Myggen

GB talked about this on one of the podcasts: People are looking for the reviews around the time of release, and sites thrive on getting the reviews out promptly.

Yeah, it's all about dem clicks. But as Jeff said on that same podcast, all you've got is your audience's trust and you break that trust when you rush reviews of games you can't be sure is actually gonna work as intended when released.

It's disgusting. They left their youtube comments on too.

It's shameful what sites are willing to ignore for the traffic benefits audience engagement brings.

Ugh, I can't even imagine the filth that's in the YT comments on that video. GS implemented much stricter rules after the whole GTA V review fiasco, but they haven't done shit to actually enforce the rules. Openly homophobic, transphobic and racist comments just stay up on the site with no real moderation. I don't know if the problem is that they don't care, or if the community has just gone to shit in such a way that there's not enough active mods anymore.

Yeah, you'd think they'd learned by now to wait for the launch to see if the online stuff actually works. But Polygon's gonna Polygon.

Yeah, it's all about dem clicks. But as Jeff said on that same podcast, all you've got is your audience's trust and you break that trust when you rush reviews of games you can't be sure is actually gonna work as intended when released.

Yeah, but how many times does a person go back to a review page after they've decided if they'll buy the game or not?

I'm not saying it's a good practice at all, I think a game should be fully reviewed, but that's how I see the clickbait, day one partial reviews.

Myggen

Yeah, but how many times does a person go back to a review page after they've decided if they'll buy the game or not?

I'm not saying it's a good practice at all, I think a game should be fully reviewed, but that's how I see the clickbait, day one partial reviews.

I see the "review in progress" stuff that some bigger sites have implemented (GS and IGN mainly) as a good solution. That way you at least get some of the early clicks while at the same time being sure that you get to play the game "in the wild" for a time and see how it develops. This is how sites have done MMO reviews since forever, but I think it's a good way to do reviews of other games with a heavy online element.

The way so many publications just pushed reviews of MCC out the door was embarrassing, and it's enjoyable to see it bite them in the ass now. Good on Gamespot for waiting.

Speaking of the Halo issues, I'd love to point out the biggest lesson Gears of War 2 has to teach: matchmaking in general is hot trash, and every video game with multiplayer should just have server lists.

Zaph

Huh alright.

What's with this generation and broken online functionality?
Don't know how much it plays into it, but in a recent blog/ello post, Jeff mentioned devs secretly appreciated the pre-launch pirates of last gen - they put a gentle load on the MP infrastructure.

Maybe Day 1 patches aren't as robust because current gen isn't hacked yet?

Xater

Don't know how much it plays into it, but in a recent blog/ello post, Jeff mentioned devs secretly appreciated the pre-launch pirates of last gen - they put a gentle load on the MP infrastructure.

Maybe Day 1 patches aren't as robust because current gen isn't hacked yet?

Developers should make more use of Betas for MP. Just put it out there for a weekend for everyone to test shit out. That alone can probably help a lot.

by that measure, publishers should go to amazon or someone and say "hey, go ahead and send out like 10% of the preorders early."

I mean, I know gamer entitlement being what it is, people would lose their minds if they weren't in the early batch, but screw them. Seems like that would be a pretty novel way to ease into server load.

Myggen

Developers should make more use of Betas for MP. Just put it out there for a weekend for everyone to test shit out. That alone can probably help a lot.

Yep. Especially with something as popular as Halo you need to run some live stress tests on the systems before going live. So much you don't anticipate can happen with online games and servers, and a beta can at least help with some of that.

kvk1

272.jpg

I HAVE A REALLY BAD HEADACHE.

I have this weird guilt for enjoying AC: Unity. I got it free from newegg for my recent graphics card purchase and it runs better than I anticipated. Gameplay is pretty much the same old same old but I'm mostly just enjoying exploring the beautiful world they created and I'm sure based on my time with past releases in the series (I only play 1, 2 and Brotherhood and 2 was the only one I manage to finish) I will burn out way before the end. It is a technical mess though in a lot of ways. The game needed a delay in the worst way.

isn't a bit more than just online broken? i remember people having a lot of trouble with split screen and crashes

The majority of issues are with the online. There's a few bugs in the single player, namely framerate issues occasionally. Online, while it has gotten better, is the part that's in rough shape. Matchmaking isin't balancing teams right so you'll get into a team slayer match that's a 2v6 (happened to me, was not fun). It also is breaking up premade parties, taking longer than normal to find a match if it finds one at all, your game might crash or lock up after a match ends, etc. they're putting out a patch next week which will hopefully fix a lot of these issues, but there's no way in hell it should have launched in this state. I love Halo, but I would rather have waited another month for release and had a game that actually works how it should.

Ugh, I can't even imagine the filth that's in the YT comments on that video. GS implemented much stricter rules after the whole GTA V review fiasco, but they haven't done shit to actually enforce the rules. Openly homophobic, transphobic and racist comments just stay up on the site with no real moderation. I don't know if the problem is that they don't care, or if the community has just gone to shit in such a way that there's not enough active mods anymore.
Does Gamespot still have that feature where they read article and review comments in a funny voice? That was stupid and kinda just encourage this shit more.

scaffa

Maybe someone can answer this but I thought Microsoft was also using the Cloud stuff for multiplayer servers besides the Drivatar thingy. I thought it was one of those things that were used as a selling point for the XBox One. Why arent they using that for MCC?

Am I totally remembering that wrong? It was also used with Titanfall right? Is that cloud thing even a thing anymore?

rbanke

Jeff mentioned a week or so back that he was going to or considering doing a jar time in the office, did I miss it or did it not happen yet?

Puzzle and Dragons has Evangelion and Batman characters in it now. With this game already being a PAD ripoff/Gachapon game that is apparently making more money than PAD, we'll probably see more silly crap down the line.

Fun game though, way more interesting than PAD imo.

Maybe someone can answer this but I thought Microsoft was also using the Cloud stuff for multiplayer servers besides the Drivatar thingy. I thought it was one of those things that were used as a selling point for the XBox One. Why arent they using that for MCC?

Am I totally remembering that wrong? It was also used with Titanfall right? Is that cloud thing even a thing anymore?

They are. So the situation, as Frank O'Connor described it, is that P2P is a fallback incase servers don't work. If Xbox Live were to be down you would still be able to play Halo via P2P instead of dedicated servers. One of the multiplayer issues is that it's not properly using the dedicated servers, and is jumping right to P2P as a failsafe, despite the servers being available for use. Azure is usable, it's just another one of the issues that MCC is having.

Top Bottom