• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I don't mean to talk shit about drew here, but I'm just getting through the podcast now and he's talking about feeling overwhelmed trying to play sunset overdrive and finding it hard to do multiple things at once (including moving his eyes to look at a level stat or something on screen) and it's sort of reminding me of some of the issues he's had in mgs. Is SO really that complicated to wrap your head around? I haven't played it but it doesn't seem that complicated from hearing about the mechanics and watching people play it.

Xater

I don't mean to talk shit about drew here, but I'm just getting through the podcast now and he's talking about feeling overwhelmed trying to play sunset overdrive and finding it hard to do multiple things at once (including moving his eyes to look at a level stat or something on screen) and it's sort of reminding me of some of the issues he's had in mgs. Is SO really that complicated to wrap your head around? I haven't played it but it doesn't seem that complicated from hearing about the mechanics and watching people play it.

I actually heard lots of complaints about how simple the shooting is because it has such heavy auto aim.

jgminto

Sunset Overdrive isn't that complicated. But it's incredibly important to understand the flow of the movement. Ideally you should never touch the ground and you do need to think a few steps ahead to stop yourself from losing a combo. The challenge with the combat is taking out these enemies while leaving yourself options to get around which is incredibly fun when you learn to superbounce off a ground pound so you can jump in and out of a horde of enemies whenever you want without dropping combo. But when you see somebody playing that doesn't understand how to stay in the air and just walks around shooting, it's absolutely painful.

I'm not really surprised that Drew isn't very good at the game though, he's never been an action guy. Just look at the types of games he plays on UPF, it's usually strategy or sims.

jgminto

I really enjoyed my first play through of 3 FES but looking back it's so "generic anime" in every way. 4 is much more unique with it's setting, cast and plot. The only thing I'd say is better in 3 is the music.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I actually heard lots of complaints about how simple the shooting is because it has such heavy auto aim.

Yeah I'd heard the same.

Sunset Overdrive isn't that complicated. But it's incredibly important to understand the flow of the movement. Ideally you should never touch the ground and you do need to think a few steps ahead to stop yourself from losing a combo. The challenge with the combat is taking out these enemies while leaving yourself options to get around which is incredibly fun when you learn to superbounce off a ground pound so you can jump in and out of a horde of enemies whenever you want without dropping combo. But when you see somebody playing that doesn't understand how to stay in the air and just walks around shooting, it's absolutely painful.

I'm not really surprised that Drew isn't very good at the game though, he's never been an action guy. Just look at the types of games he plays on UPF, it's usually strategy or sims.

That's true. Though he's a big Halo guy, that's more of a single focused point and shoot kinda deal (not to say it's completely devoid of depth or anything). I guess now that I think of it I can't recall him talking about playing many modern action games over the years. I wonder if he played much of the Assassin's Creed games when they came out.

tchocky

Yeah I'd heard the same.

That's true. Though he's a big Halo guy, that's more of a single focused point and shoot kinda deal (not to say it's completely devoid of depth or anything). I guess now that I think of it I can't recall him talking about playing many modern action games over the years. I wonder if he played much of the Assassin's Creed games when they came out.

I remember during GOTY him loving Bioshock Infinite.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really enjoyed my first play through of 3 FES but looking back it's so "generic anime" in every way. 4 is much more unique with it's setting, cast and plot. The only thing I'd say is better in 3 is the music.

I honestly can't think of a lot of ways that 4 is less generic anime than 3, other than its explorations of gender and sexuality, but even that was explored before in anime
and was totally ruined by altus chickening out of actually exploring them, and devolving kanji and naoto to even more generic anime archtypes.

Good man.

yaLpDD.gif

jgminto

The older Halo games are also a much slower pace than most FPS games in recent history. There's depth but you can take your time and it doesn't rely heavily on reflexes.

I honestly can't think of a lot of ways that 4 is less generic anime than 3, other than its explorations of gender and sexuality, but even that was explored before in anime
and was totally ruined by altus chickening out of actually exploring them, and devolving kanji and naoto to even more generic anime archtypes.
4 is obviously very anime as well but I think it does enough to differentiate itself from something you'd actually see in a 12-24 episode long battle shounen. A more immediate focus on a murder mystery instead of purely fighting evil and saving the world helps.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
4 is obviously very anime as well but I think it does enough to differentiate itself from something you'd actually see in a 12-24 episode long battle shounen. A more immediate focus on a murder mystery instead of purely fighting evil and saving the world helps.

Yeah alright, I can agree with the murder mystery aspect feeling more unique.

Playing Persona 3 portable. I am sorry but Persona 3 >>> Persona 4.

I'm about 5 hours in to P3P. Having played P4G and otherwise being unaware of the franchise, bought P3P to play until P5. Not sure I'm ready to say it trumps 4, but, P3P is way better than I thought it could be. A Golden type treatment would be cool.

Top Bottom