• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

There's nothing I want more right now than for a mod to change Jimmy's name to Gimmyfenix.

giphy.gif

Phediuk

So, what will each editor's GOTY be?

Jeff: He sure liked Advanced Warfare a lot, and was excited about Far Cry 4. Also seemed to like Shovel Knight but they've probably forgotten about that by now. It's hard to gauge Jeff.

Brad: Destiny, though he might feel shamed into picking something else (i.e., Shadow of Mordor.)

Dan: Bayonetta 2 probably.

Drew: Master Chief Collection, unless he feels it's disqualified.

Alex: He's also enjoying Bayonetta 2, though not as effusively as Dan so far.

Vinny: Has Vinny even played anything this year?

Patrick: I haven't been keeping track of Patrick content, sorry.

Patryn

Oh they can take time for a show this week. I miss vinny :(

Didn't they just disassemble their studio and are moving into their new digs?

So, what will each editor's GOTY be?

My guesses:

Jeff - Far Cry 4

Dan - Bayonetta 2 or Shadow of Mordor

Drew - I agree, it'll be Master Chief Collection. If not, I suspect it'll be a mobile title.

Brad - If you asked me a month ago, I would have said Destiny was a lock. I still think there's a decent chance it's Destiny. If not, Shadow of Mordor.

I have no clue for the rest.

daydream

Banned
My predictions off the top of my head:

Jeff - Far Cry 4
Dan - Sunset Overdrive or Shadow of Mordor (hoping for Bayo or DK:TF, though)
Brad - Sunset Overdrive or Shadow of Mordor
Drew - ??? (maybe Sunset Overdrve if he comes around on it; MCC won't qualify)
Jason - Legend of Korra Bayonetta 2
Patrick - Alien Isolation will be up there, no idea about his no. 1
Vinny - Shadow of Modor
Alex - Jazzpunk

Overall GOTY:
Velvet Sundown

i wouldn't be surprised if Vinny opts out this year. I get the sense that he hasn't had the opportunity to play many games between becoming a papa again and his living situation.

Saw some GTAV first person mode driving and maybe it was just the small Vita screen (Live from Playstation App) but that shit looked fucking amazing O_O

the water puddles on the street really sold it.

i wouldn't be surprised if Vinny opts out this year. I get the sense that he hasn't had the opportunity to play many games between becoming a papa again and his living situation.

Indeed.

Maybe he will be the tiebreaker like Dave at one point.

Seems like Alex will be there live this time though?

Patryn

I hadn't thought about that, but yeah, I agree.

I expect the official "pickers" to be Jeff, Brad, Dan, Drew and Alex. I expect that Patrick and Jason will have lists, but won't be in on deliberations.

popo

He basically opts out every year because he doesn't care enough when the others steam roll him and Brad filibusters. He barely fought for previous favourites of his like Sleepy dawgz and Dark Souls.

They have been testing video conference setups. Both Patrick and Alex have mentioned "coming to SF" so I could see Patrick and Alex doing the podcasts live (assuming they have enough chairs in the studio) and Vinny videos conferencing in for any video sum-up pieces they do on the sofa set.

I hadn't thought about that, but yeah, I agree.

I expect the official "pickers" to be Jeff, Brad, Dan, Drew and Alex. I expect that Patrick and Jason will have lists, but won't be in on deliberations.

Jason will sit out but if you think Patrick will sit out the argument I think you are crazy. Dude will fly in or skype.

Zaph

Shadow of Mordor has it in the bag. Jeff isn't going to bat for FC4 - he likes it but he's already expressed grievances and said it's a 4 star game (and it's not a SR3 "5-star-but-Alex-is-crazy-so-4-star" either).

Besides, it'll be fitting for the GOTY to properly usher in this gen with a game that demonstrated 'next-gen' not with graphical fidelity, but a gameplay mechanic (and one that has so much future potential).

Patryn

He basically opts out every year because he doesn't care enough when the others steam roll him and Brad filibusters. He barely fought for previous favourites of his like Sleepy dawgz and Dark Souls.

They have been testing video conference setups. Both Patrick and Alex have mentioned "coming to SF" so I could see Patrick and Alex doing the podcasts live (assuming they have enough chairs in the studio) and Vinny videos conferencing in for any video sum-up pieces they do on the sofa set.

Jason will sit out but if you think Patrick will sit out the argument I think you are crazy. Dude will fly in or skype.

I had missed that Patrick is coming to SF.

popo

Mordor will win by default. It has been an average year all around.

Bayonetta 2 has a outside chance but will likely be second.

I only played a few hours on a mates PS4 but the nemesis system would take the category for "most overrated feature" if they had one and without that it is an above average open world game.

What else is there though?

COD - better than last year but more of the same.
Destiny - Jeff hates it.
AC - lol
Beyond Civ - reskin
Sunset Overdrive - mid list at best
Alien - only Pat played it
Diablo 3 - disqualified, not new
south park - Jeff hates south park
Infamous - came out too early
Jazzpunk - will be in the top 10 but people still distain indy games.
shovel knight - see jazzpunk
MK8 - only Dan and Alex played it.
Titanfall - multiplayer got old fast
smash - only Dan will play, Jeff hates.

I might be forgetting some.

Provisional list

1. Mordor
2. Bay 2
3. COD
- Jazzpunk
- Shovel Knight
- MK8
- Sunset
- Alien
- Titanfall
10. Destiny

3-9 are unordered.

I had missed that Patrick is coming to SF.

I don't think he has confirmed but I think he plans to. Alex did mention "being in SF" but he has family there so cold be unrelated to GOTY. If one flys they can handle one skyping like last year.

Patryn

Mordor will win by default. It has been an average year all around.

Bayonetta 2 has a outside chance but will likely be second.

I only played a few hours on a mates PS4 but the nemesis system would take the category for "most overrated feature" if they had one and without that it is an above average open world game.

What else is there though?

COD - better than last year but more of the same.
Destiny - Jeff hates it.
AC - lol
Beyond Civ - reskin
Sunset Overdrive - mid list at best
Alien - only Pat played it
Diablo 3 - disqualified, not new
south park - Jeff hates south park
Infamous - came out too early
Jazzpunk - will be in the top 10 but people still distain indy games.
shovel knight - see jazzpunk
MK8 - only Dan and Alex played it.
Titanfall - multiplayer got old fast
smash - only Dan will play, Jeff hates.

Provisional list

1. Mordor
2. Bay 2
- Jazzpunk
- Shovel Knight
- MK8
- Sunset
- South Park
- Alien
- Titanfall
10. Destiny

3-9 are unordered.
Jeff, Dan and Brad seem to really like CoD. I guarantee it will make the top 10.

I don't expect South Park to chart, because I don't think they'll really remember it.

I also don't expect Alien to chart, because most of them didn't seem fond of it.

You're also totally forgetting Far Cry 4 and Wolfenstein.

Patryn

Probably Dragon Age but we know how most of GB reacts to fantasy RPGs.

Dragon Age won't make top 10. At most, Patrick will have played it.

And Jeff seems to have real problems with it. He's exceedingly negative when talking about it.

i mean i liked mordor and all but surely something came out this year better than it

i hope something has

I honestly think the only game that could challenge Shadow of Mordor is Far Cry 4, sadly. That's solely based on my read of the crew and their likes and dislikes.

popo

Jeff, Dan and Brad seem to really like CoD. I guarantee it will make the top 10.

I don't expect South Park to chart, because I don't think they'll really remember it.

I also don't expect Alien to chart, because most of them didn't seem fond of it.

You're also totally forgetting Far Cry 4 and Wolfenstein.

You are right. Rough list I typed is missing a ton. Especially COD as I mentioned above. Will revise.

How much of a game do you have to play to criticize it.

Next to none if you are not doing a review. But I don't see any game making the top 5 if only one person has played it enough to champion it. That is why Alien was in my provisional list - since I think Pat might fight for it in low top 10.

i mean i liked mordor and all but surely something came out this year better than it

i hope something has

not really. Titanfall/destiny were both good but barebones, Sunset Overdrive was good but didn't really do anything new, MCC isn't even sitting well with the people who like Halo right now, Second Son was solid but not GOTY good. Haven't played DAI, so who knows but that game isn't going to take the GOTY unless Bread gets behind it.

It's been a fantastic year to catch up on my backlog, though.

That's what I said. The amount of RPG GB can handle is Mass Effect and that barely was a RPG by the end.

never forget skyrim-gate, brah.

popo

Provisional list

1. Mordor
2. Bay 2
3. COD
- Jazzpunk
- Shovel Knight
- MK8
- Sunset
- Alien
- Titanfall
10. Destiny

3-9 are unordered.

Revised list, thx to ppl pointing out omissions.

1. Mordor
2. Bay 2
3. COD
- Jazzpunk
- Shovel Knight
- MK8
- Sunset
- Wolf
- FC4
10. Destiny

south park, titan fall and alien all drop off. 4-9 unordered.

Anyone see anything else I missed? Any more notable indie game this year? I know Transistor was a big disappointment for many and doesn't look like Gang Beasts or Hyper Light Drifter will be out this year.

Maybe they should have a "most promising early access" given the fun they have had with gang beasts, Crawl ,etc.

Xater

Dragon Age won't make top 10. At most, Patrick will have played it.

And Jeff seems to have real problems with it. He's exceedingly negative when talking about it.

That's what I said. The amount of RPG GB can handle is Mass Effect and that barely was a RPG by the end.

popo

I don't see dragon age in contention. Rorie isn't in the room, Pat might play a bit of it. vinny isn't in a position to play it.

tchocky

Revised list, thx to ppl pointing out omissions.

1. Mordor
2. Bay 2
3. COD
- Jazzpunk
- Shovel Knight
- MK8
- Sunset
- Wolf
- FC4
10. Destiny

I agree with this list except Captain toad will replace MK8 since Dan, Patrick and Alex will most likely love it and Jeff has said he's looking forward to it.

Bacon

Far Cry 4 is going to be high on the list. 2 or 3 I'm guessing. Jeff will love it and at least two others will like it enough to put it high up there on the list without complaint.

popo

I agree with this list except Captain toad will replace MK8 since Dan, Patrick and Alex will most likely love it and Jeff has said he's looking forward to it.

there's going to at least be 1-2 honorary nintendo slots in the top 10. I think one of them goes to Bayo2, the other is either going to Tropical Freeze or MK8 and with MK8 having some really good DLC on its side, i wouldn't be surprised if it takes it.

Good points. I don't think they see Bayonetta as a Nintendo games, more a Platinum game and I think it is a lock for to 10.

So either 1 or maybe 2 out of Toad, MK8 and DK,

Alex and Dan like MK8, maybe not enough to fight for it.
Dan likes DK. Jeff seemed to think it was okay but hates DK on principal.
Toad could be the dark horse. I forgot about it. If Jeff likes it then it could be the perfect compromise title. I think they will mention all the nintendo ones at once and only let one on the list.

popo

Far Cry 4 is going to be high on the list. 2 or 3 I'm guessing. Jeff will love it and at least two others will like it enough to put it high up there on the list without complaint.

Could be. I think Jeff will get to pick three and four - as he is lukewarm on Mordor and didn't really play Bayonetta but is smart enough to realise they belong at the top.

Mordor is likely to take it because Brad is the one who cares most and Dan will back him. I think everyone but Jeff liked Mordor. Perfect compromise game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dan is pretty into it.

I think jeff likes it too?

I can't comprehend brad liking DmC but not wanting to check out bayo 2.

popo

It is sad that I think "biggest disappointment" will have many nominations this year but "biggest surprise" - I struggle to think of many.

hamchan

It feels like a bummer when Far Cry 4 and Mordor are legitimate contenders for Giant Bomb's GOTY. They are good games but man, they aren't exactly the most original or inspiring games to ever be released.

It feels like a bummer when Far Cry 4 and Mordor are legitimate contenders for Giant Bomb's GOTY. They are good games but man, they aren't exactly the most original or inspiring games to ever be released.

I'll take Modor over Far Cry 4. At least Modor doesn't instantly strike you as being a reskin.

I can't comprehend brad liking DmC but not wanting to check out bayo 2.

True, but Bayo is a very different kind of character action game than DmC and DMC proper. It's much faster with wider environments.

I'm way more interested in stuff like "best new character" and stuff anyway. I think the rationale behind their choices on those is much more interesting.

Also I love how they're still talking about Unity in today's Bombin' in the AM.

It is interesting to hear some of their "terrible games we love" suggestions though.

Top Bottom