• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

daydream

Banned
Is the rest of the crew still Persona-fied though? I am really bummed to still see no Persona 4 Arena Ultimax quick look on the agenda.

I was talking about the P4-style illustrations of the GB crew someone did a long time ago. I don't think we can get Dan to play Persona, haha.

Tucah

you speak so well
I would have preferred playing as Snake but MGS2 Raiden is fine. MGS4/MGR Raiden is fucking great though.

I got spoiled by reading the manual while walking home from KBtoys after picking up my preorder. So it never really phased me.

I was reading it on the way back from... Target I think. I saw it, my older brother shouted NO DON'T READ THE MANUAL IT SPOILS STUFF I READ IT ONLINE, and I was like "woah, you play as a different character in another part."

At the moment, I sort of vaguely assumed it was going to be a back and forth thing across various roughly Tanker-sized settings and mission objectives. It wasn't until a few hours in that I realized, "Ohhhh, this is the rest of the game." It didn't bother me that much, and in later years I came to really enjoy and appreciate the change and how they handled it.

Fox318

I think it also didn't help that it occurred at a time when there was nothing to play and gamers didn't have anything to occupy their time.

While I think that helped I think the biggest part of the story getting big was no site wanting to touch this story with a 10 foot pole.

While I'm thankful I wasn't a mod during that time that wasn't the way to handle this.

What began as a story about a personal relationship and an alleged affair that possible involved an indie game dev(who wasn't either an important or star) and a blogger was picked up by every group left and right for their issue. People started connecting dots of things that were either tangential to the issue of games journalism or sexism in the industry.

There was no voice to fill the void and a mob built up and it became a shit throwing fest all because nobody was there to help lead a constructive conversation about what had happened from the start.

Do you happen to know which cast? Because I still don't understand anything of what happened. Thanks!

It was about 3-4 weeks ago I think.

But in a way this is the other problem.

You have a bunch of people mad as hell about something they are passionate about and a games media press and internet communities that didn't want to touch it. It gave validity to it being an issue.

Instead it turned into stuff like Patrick and Alex talking about how bad everything was on Bombin' the Am instead of actually talking about what the story was and what had happened. I remember Patrick saying something like : If you want to have a discussion about games journalism and integrity now isn't the time because of everything that is happening on social media and doxing.

Except that only fed into a cycle of talk about how everyone didn't want to talk about the story because of how it had become a cesspool of issues.

Kimaka

i swear, i must be like in the 1% of people on earth who weren't bothered by the Raiden bait and switch.

Raiden never bothered me either. He was just clueless like MGS1 Snake. The hate for Raiden seems to steam from his appearance. That is the No. 1 criticism I hear about him.

"DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT DAY IT IS TODAY, JACK?"

Hating Raiden because he comes packaged with Rose is completely understandable, though. What an insufferable character.

danm999

There was no voice to fill the void and a mob built up and it became a shit throwing fest all because nobody was there to help lead a constructive conversation about what had happened from the start.

There wasn't a way to have a constructive conversation about what happened. People convinced there was a grand malfeasance occurring were so fundamentally disconnected from the reality of events that any attempt to correct them was viewed as further evidence of some conspiracy.

Guys, I've been an avid listener of the Bombcast since 2009 and way into Giant Bomb Quick Looks since probably 2010. I spend a lot of time bored at work with the opportunity to watch their video content, but sometimes I run out of Quick Looks and I panic. Lately, I've been considering upgrading to Premium, if only to thank the crew for so many hours of entertainment. My question is:

Is it worth it? What would you recommend giving a watch?

You're losing money NOT watching this stuff!

love that ICOPRO shirt

plus that's a SHIT TON of demo discs :O if the feature ends early it won't be because of a lack of content

also Dan's growing anime collection lol

Fox318

There wasn't a way to have a constructive conversation about what happened. People convinced there was a grand malfeasance occurring were so fundamentally disconnected from the reality of events that any attempt to correct them was viewed as further evidence of some conspiracy.

People were convinced there was a conspiracy because everybody wanted to ignore what had happened.

This isn't a story if somebody wrote a 2 paragraph blog post about a potential connection between a sex scandal between an indie dev and a rent-a-blogger at kotaku and other industry folk. That the supposed conspiracy was all for 2 lines in a kotaku article that was probably buried between a top 10 on Japanese toilets and a mobile game trailer blog post.

The only reason why there wasn't a way to have the conversation is that nobody tried.

If a Nintendo executive had resigned over a potential martial problem nobody would have had a hard time reporting on it but because it was somebody they either knew or felt like was part of the SanFran indie community they felt awkward talking about it.

It was a shitty story to cover and talk about but it would have been better to try and start a constructive conversation about it instead of letting a mob control it.

danm999

People were convinced there was a conspiracy because everybody wanted to ignore what had happened.

This isn't a story if somebody wrote a 2 paragraph blog post about a potential connection between a sex scandal between an indie dev and a rent-a-blogger at kotaku and other industry folk.

Plenty of folks did exactly that though.

There's no shortage of articles, even at the onset, summarising, and dismissing the whole thing.

Those that did are now the subject of graphs and cartoons condemning the authors of some vast, hilarious conspiracy.

Hell, Patrick addressed all this shit almost a month ago and it wasn't good enough to get him off the hook from various SJW hitlists and pyramid graphics.

You can't reason with the unreasonable.

Jintor

I haven't really been looking into the whole GG thing at all, really, but the bits I see leak into my various social media feeds really do make the whole lot look like conspiracy theorists but with even less grounding in reality

bonercop

If a Nintendo executive had resigned over a potential martial problem nobody would have had a hard time reporting on it but because it was somebody they either knew or felt like was part of the SanFran indie community they felt awkward talking about it.

It was a shitty story to cover and talk about but it would have been better to try and start a constructive conversation about it instead of letting a mob control it.

why are you comparing that hypothetical situation to the actual thing GG were going crazy about? this hypothetical nintendo man of yours would be resigning, so mentioning the circumstances behind that in a post is entirely appropriate. how does that compare to the private sex life of some indie dev?(source:a butthurt ex)

that's not a "constructive conversation", that's tabloid journalism.

Fox318

Plenty of folks did exactly that though.

There's no shortage of articles, even at the onset, summarising, and dismissing the whole thing.

Those that did are now the subject of graphs and cartoons condemning the authors of some vast, hilarious conspiracy.

Hell, Patrick addressed all this shit almost a month ago and it wasn't good enough to get him off the hook from various SJW hitlists and pyramid graphics.

You can't reason with the unreasonable.
None of the articles were done on major sites. Why wasn't that article front page of giantbomb? Why was it on tumblr? Why was the only coverage on this on personal blogs and anonymous medium posts? This was a story dominating the gaming conversation and everyone who calls themself a gaming journalist plugged their ears because the story had a human connection to them.

There was a void of established media coverage over a story dominating the conversation in the game industry. That void was filled by people looking for a fight for issues they believe in that had almost nothing to do with the original story.

Xeteh

Raiden never bothered me either. He was just clueless like MGS1 Snake. The hate for Raiden seems to steam from his appearance. That is the No. 1 criticism I hear about him.

I'm with you guys on this. Though I don't think the hate for Raiden is so much his appearance... its more that he isn't Solid Snake. Overall though I loved MGS2. People hating on Raiden are just choosing to hate a great game for a poor reason.

Ziron

Neo Member
The most depressing realization I've had because of this GamerGate madness is that in order to get your indie game covered on most websites you have to have one of three things.

1. A proven track record (prior big indie game or former triple AAA dev)
2. A connection to a member of the press (see Max Tempkin and the Samurai Gunn devs)
3. A story (see that guy who got fired from a call centre after he made mspaint game about his job)

An indie game's quality is pretty much tangential to whether it gets covered on most sites. This whole GamerGate thing has made me notice how important marketing and connections are in getting that first crucial press mention.

Fox318

why are you comparing that hypothetical situation to the actual thing GG were going crazy about? this hypothetical nintendo man of yours would be resigning, so mentioning the circumstances behind that in a post is entirely appropriate. how does that compare to the private sex life of some indie dev?(source:a butthurt ex)

that's not a "constructive conversation", that's tabloid journalism.
Both stories are about people's personal lives and both had industry connections in it.

A constructive conversation could have talked about how media coverage and publish access is the real thing compromising integrity or maybe about how people's personal lives can intertwine with social conversation surrounding an industry.

This is not the GambolGoiter thread.
I didn't mean to drag the thread down into this. I just felt like the whole thing was a small story that got bigger artificially by people trying to look the other way and pretend that something wasn't on fire.

Also Gambolgoiter sounds like a villain from one of Dan's gator books.

jgminto

Thank the lord david hayter is gone from the series. Change is good for everyone.

Yep, I'm glad they've replaced him with somebody that has the personality and enthusiasm of wet bread. With such memorable lines as "Kept you waiting, huh" and "*unintelligible sad mumbling*, Kaz". An actor with zero passion for the project is what the series really needed.

Yep, I'm glad they've replaced him with somebody that has the personality and enthusiasm of wet bread. With such memorable lines as "Kept you waiting, huh" and "*unintelligible sad mumbling*, Kaz". An actor with zero passion for the project is what the series really needed.

I felt his performances got worse after each game. I feel like Kiefer will bring a fresh approach to phantom pain.

jgminto

I felt his performances got worse after each game. I feel like Kiefer will bring a fresh approach to phantom pain.

All Hayter needed was a better director to help him reign it in. And from the sounds of it, the fresh approach in The Phantom Pain is going to be less voice acting.

Zaph

Giantbomb offices are a fucking mess. Please hire a cleaner for the love of god.

Every time I see an office video, I do wonder how they get any work done like that. They probably have cleaners too, but I doubt they'll touch or move all those boxes.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Every time I see an office video, I do wonder how they get any work done like that. They probably have cleaners too, but I doubt they'll touch or move all those boxes.

Remember the staff were instructed to clean up all the boxes once and they did a livestream of it? I seem to remember it almost looking like they were enacting a go-slow with the pace they went about tidying the place up.

dvydra

Neo Member
I know a lot if people who just sub to the US. Pay by paypwl, watch via VPN.

If you can create a U.S. iTunes account, I managed to load $60 onto that account with gift cards, subscribe via the apple TV, and then link to my wwe account. The upshot of this was that this somehow makes wwe not do any geoip checks. I can watch without a VPN from by device.

I was reading it on the way back from... Target I think. I saw it, my older brother shouted NO DON'T READ THE MANUAL IT SPOILS STUFF I READ IT ONLINE, and I was like "woah, you play as a different character in another part."

At the moment, I sort of vaguely assumed it was going to be a back and forth thing across various roughly Tanker-sized settings and mission objectives. It wasn't until a few hours in that I realized, "Ohhhh, this is the rest of the game." It didn't bother me that much, and in later years I came to really enjoy and appreciate the change and how they handled it.

opinions also calmed way down after 3 and later came out because people still got their Snake fix, but the reaction at the time seemed insane. But I mean you get some of the craziest, best stuff MGS has to offer in the last act of that game, and it wouldn't have worked if you were someone less naive than Raiden.

I had this weird half dream this morning when I was waking up that the video the guys teased was something to do with them filming characters for the unplugged Avalon or something. Then I woke up and realized that would probably be kind of hard to do with the nature of the game and it being a live stream and all.

Zaph

Nice, quick look for The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is on the schedule.

I'm really surprised Patrick hasn't been all over this, it's a great game. I bet sometime very soon he'll realise the game is literally made for him and he won't stop talking about it.

Top Bottom