• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Rainmaker

Banned
I hate toilet humor *twirls mustache and pulls out important papers from my expensive top hat* but I thought the "turd miles per hour" bit from that Quick Look was pretty funny. I guess I don't always see the word turd and think "toilet humor, oh no. I have never!" I guess what I'm saying is that, as an aristocrat and connoisseur of the arts, I analyze turds and the context in which they are used to determine what I deem appropriate for my upscale tastes.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My friends and I call them FOME's - fear of missing editors.

The messed up acronym is the least of that article's worries. The syntax is super messy in spots, there are tons of simple typos, omitted words etc.

His articles are consistently amateurish in their polish. And it is so easily fixed. He could crowd source it if everyone else is too busy. I am sure there are dozens of people in their forums with English degrees willing to give his articles a once over.

Flandy

lol some people over at the GB forums would rather Drew play the PS2 versions of MGS over the HD version because of some trivial visual differences in cutscenes.
http://www.giantbomb.com/metal-gear...2-and-3-should-drew-play-in-m-1495452/?page=1

I hate toilet humor *twirls mustache and pulls out important papers from my expensive top hat* but I thought the "turd miles per hour" bit from that Quick Look was pretty funny. I guess I don't always see the word turd and think "toilet humor, oh no. I have never!" I guess what I'm saying is that, as an aristocrat and connoisseur of the arts, I analyze turds and the context in which they are used to determine what I deem appropriate for my upscale tastes.

image.php

What is your avatar? I've seen it on it the background of shows before but have no idea what it is.

I normally don't get agitated by people playing games, but man if that Ninja Storm quick look wasn't hard for me to watch. Watching them take combos with all of those substitutions, it hurts!

Demoskinos

lol some people over at the GB forums would rather Drew play the PS2 versions of MGS over the HD version because of some trivial visual differences in cutscenes.
http://www.giantbomb.com/metal-gear...2-and-3-should-drew-play-in-m-1495452/?page=1

image.php

What is your avatar? I've seen it on it the background of shows before but have no idea what it is.

I would rather them play the originals simply because if the point of this feature is for Drew to experience these games as someone would "for the first time" I think Drew seeing the progression of how the series art and graphical styles progressed alongside everything else is important to the experience. Besides that there are a bunch of little things that they would miss such as the mini-game in MGS3 before you wake up in the jail cell that are quirky little one offs which while not integral to the experience of the "game" I would argue is integral to the experience of just how quirky and weird Metal Gear Solid really can be at times.

Nephrahim

I normally don't get agitated by people playing games, but man if that Ninja Storm quick look wasn't hard for me to watch. Watching them take combos with all of those substitutions, it hurts!

It's not really his fault though. For some reason I decided I wanted to check this game out after the QL, and MAN, I have never had a game hold my hand less. Dark Souls has more of a tutorial then this fighter.

frostyxc

I would rather them play the originals simply because if the point of this feature is for Drew to experience these games as someone would "for the first time" I think Drew seeing the progression of how the series art and graphical styles progressed alongside everything else is important to the experience. Besides that there are a bunch of little things that they would miss such as the mini-game in MGS3 before you wake up in the jail cell that are quirky little one offs which while not integral to the experience of the "game" I would argue is integral to the experience of just how quirky and weird Metal Gear Solid really can be at times.

So no one should eat beef because you they don't have the experience of eating the first piece of beef harvested from whatever we now call a cow? Life must be hard for you. Wearing shoes must be difficult.

Tucah

you speak so well

I'm sure there are plenty of people who only played those games for the first time when the collection came out. Dan's said before that he thinks a couple minigames and easter eggs aren't worth the increase in graphical fidelity that comes with the HD versions and I agree with him. 99% of the experience is intact in the HD collection which is absolutely fine for the purpose of the feature.

the actual differences in the games are so completely inconsequential that it's ridiculous to want them to play worse-looking, harder to capture versions for some kind of weird desire for purity.

especially when these are some of the few examples of HD ports being done nearly perfectly

Nephrahim

the actual differences in the games are so completely inconsequential that it's ridiculous to want them to play worse-looking, harder to capture versions for some kind of weird desire for purity.

especially when these are some of the few examples of HD ports being done nearly perfectly

This. None of the differences are worth playing it in 480.

Renpatsu

I'm surprised that people don't realise that playing through the MGS series isn't just fun and games.

Dan is secretly working for Uncle Sam, his mission: infiltrate the terrorist organisation, Giant Bomb, and turn known North Korean sleeper agent, Drew Scanlon, before he leaves for Vietnam and sets in motion a plan that could forever cripple the United States of America.

The MGS games are designed specifically to trigger reverse polarity in Drew's psyche by activating tampered quadrants of his brain through a series of grueling trials and a bizarre hallucinatory simulacrum of reality until he is no longer a threat.

Flandy

I'm surprised that people don't realise that playing through the MGS series isn't just fun and games.

Dan is secretly working for Uncle Sam, his mission: infiltrate the terrorist organisation, Giant Bomb, and turn known North Korean sleeper agent, Drew Scanlon, before he leaves for Vietnam and sets in motion a plan that could forever cripple the United States of America.

The MGS games are designed specifically to trigger reverse polarity in Drew's psyche by activating tampered quadrants of his brain through a series of grueling trials and a bizarre hallucinatory simulacrum of reality until he is no longer a threat.
You could have just said nanomachines

Huh?
(read: hnghhhh)
No longer a threat?!

It's not really his fault though. For some reason I decided I wanted to check this game out after the QL, and MAN, I have never had a game hold my hand less. Dark Souls has more of a tutorial then this fighter.

I haven't played Revolution yet, but based off of the previous ones there's not too much to learn. There are 4 things you need to know: attack, ninjutsu, block, and substitution. Each one of those has a button dedicated to it, more or less. Blocking is a fundamental in every fighter, and their fights would've been much more interesting if they used it.

Haunted

Alex was doing so damn well recently, why has he gone back to being obnoxiously dismissive in the last two QLs? :(

edit: ah, it gets better after a couple minutes into the moon QL. Good going, keep it up Alex!

edit²: subtle enough Destiny dig now, Alex redeemed

Nephrahim

I haven't played Revolution yet, but based off of the previous ones there's not too much to learn. There are 4 things you need to know: attack, ninjutsu, block, and substitution. Each one of those has a button dedicated to it, more or less. Blocking is a fundamental in every fighter, and their fights would've been much more interesting if they used it.

I guess you're right. In some way the lack of things to learn confused me as much as being told I'd need to learn things though, heh. Still, it takes a bit to get used to the fighting.

demidar

Thread title should've been Giant Bomb X Gamespot |OT| A Fate of Two Worlds.

Goddamn me for not coming up with that earlier.

Myggen

I guess the dev just assumes that at this point, if you're playing a Naruto game you've played one of the about 1000 similar Naruto games before, so why the hell bother with a tutorial? :p

Top Bottom