• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Myggen

Ah. Samantha Kalman.

Yeah, that'll do it.

Ugh.

Yup...

I can see Rorie removing comments temporary out of pure frustration, but I hope it's permanent. Go to giantbomb.com if you want to comment on a video, and if you can't behave like a human being then fuck off. That would be my policy at least.

edit: Fobwashed, who should do a couple of official shirt designs for GB ASAP, has made a pretty awesome GB Vib-Ribbon inspired logo:

2689213-vib-bomb.jpg

Myggen

They should've probably turned off ratings on their videos, too. Someone could mention Patrick and it'd be dumped with downvotes.

Meh, that's not a big deal imo. Votes help their videos get more visibility in YT's system (which comments do too, but fuck it), so I'd keep that part of the feedback system. Let people downvote, doesn't harm anyone.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
There has never been any loss to society from turning off Youtube comments. I became a big fan after a few channels shut them off once Youtube's awful new comment system went into effect.

Myggen

That's a really awesome shirt. I'm not a fan of most of the GB shirts, but I'd actually consider getting that one.

Yeah, both that and his gamebomb.ru designs are better than anything in the official store (I really like the old school "Bomb" design though).

There has never been any loss to society from turning off Youtube comments. I became a big fan after a few channels shut them off once Youtube's awful new comment system went into effect.

To actually promote the comments that attract the most replies, knowing that those comments are almost always awful and controversial, was such an abysmal idea from the start.

To actually promote the comments that attract the most replies, knowing that those comments are almost always awful and controversial, was such an abysmal idea from the start.

Here's a fun game: Try to figure out when the last change to YouTube actually improved it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The like/dislike system is better than the old star system YT used to have.

5 Star was much more helpful, at least in theory. Youtube users are still mostly completely awful so neither system works. But in an ideal world where people didn't use Youtube, the 5 star system would have been better.I just never rate videos when it's like/dislike. Just don't bother looking at the bar or remembering that it's there.

Actually I'm not sure I even can. Did they link that to G+? I still get that signup box when I accidentally click a comment.

Nephrahim

On one of the RT Podcasts Burnie Burns made a case for not turning comments off, arguing that it turns the relationship between the content creator and his fans "One way" since he doesn't see what people are saying about his video anymore.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
On one of the RT Podcasts Burnie Burns made a case for not turning comments off, arguing that it turns the relationship between the content creator and his fans "One way" since he doesn't see what people are saying about his video anymore.

There are plenty of other avenues to contact anybody on Youtube. Just about 0% of the video producing population is unavailable on Twitter, and many of the larger channels also have their own subreddits (if not their own site altogether, like Giant Bomb). Everything about Youtube comments has always been awful, there's no reason to keep them turned on.

bonercop

so THAT'S why every time I scroll down to the comment section on any youtube video lately, there's some dumbass troll. No matter who's youtube channel i check.

god, what a dumb idea. i didn't know.

Myggen

I can sort of see that argument generally (if you've got the manpower and energy to properly moderate the comments), but GB has a whole website where they get lots of feedback, and where people can make an account and give feedback if they want.

But I don't fully agree with the argument in a more general sense either. I'm not sure how much direct user feedback like that improves video content, and how much "two way" communication is worth on a place like YT. There's more or less always other venues for feedback, be it Twitter, Reddit etc.

so THAT'S why every time I scroll down to the comment section on any youtube video lately, there's some dumbass troll. No matter who's youtube channel i check.

god, what a dumb idea. i didn't know.

Yeah, it's completely broken and makes a toxic system even more toxic. But it's clear that it's not going to change, Google clearly don't care because the system probably encourages more traffic to Youtube because all the controversial comments get pushed to the top.

Nephrahim

There are plenty of other avenues to contact anybody on Youtube. Just about 0% of the video producing population is unavailable on Twitter, and many of the larger channels also have their own subreddits (if not their own site altogether, like Giant Bomb). Everything about Youtube comments has always been awful, there's no reason to keep them turned on.

True. I don't know that I agreed with it, I just wanted to present a competing viewpoint.

Kerned

Banned
YubTube comment sections are one of the saddest places on the internet. If I ever suddenly find myself having too much faith in humanity, I know I can always head there for a reality check.

Curufinwe

Not even sure why people want Brad to bring it up on the Bombcast. We all know it'll just be immediately dismissed like everything else regarding resolution. The GB crew are awesome, but they're probably the last people that people should be going to about situations like this. They really just don't care.

Edit: Talking about the AC: Unity thing.

Brad cared enough to post in the GB thread last year when the reports of the PS4's frame rate issues on CoD Ghosts first came out.

Nephrahim

Brad cared enough to post in the GB thread last year when the reports of the PS4's frame rate issues on CoD Ghosts first came out.

They care much more about Frame Rate then Resolution.

Which, to an extent, I get. 60fps is a really awesome thing to shoot for, and the difference between 900 and 1080 is barely noticeable in comparison to 30-60.

Myggen

I like the Lobby, but the show always comes off as a little flat, and lacks the energy of a Giant Bomb production.

The problem is just as much with the personalities as with the format for me. Besides Danny and Peter Brown and Kevin to some degree, they still lack on-screen talent that I find entertaining.

Yeah yeah, Mary Kish...but she's mostly behind the scenes over there.

The problem is just as much with the personalities as with the format for me. Besides Danny and Peter Brown and Kevin to some degree, they still lack on-screen talent that I find entertaining.

Yeah yeah, Mary Kish...but she's mostly behind the scenes over there.

gamespot should take a look at gametrailers, a lot of the stuff they've been doing with their video content has been really smart. they should just steal some of their show ideas and put danny in the brandon jones host seat.

they've got people who could probably end up being entertaining to watch, but they almost never get a chance to be on video in a way that doesn't feel way too overproduced.

Dany

Banned
Great Ryan quote from the first GOTYcast of '09: "Giantbomb is the DLC for Persona 4."
Perfect haha. I just got to early 2013. Jeff just got back from a destiny event and says hes excited.

3AQmK.gif

Ive skipped the GOTY and E3 podcasts because of how much of a slog those can be :p

MG310

Vinny's helping Comicvine out at NYCC...still debating going to their panel. It's so early in the show and early Thursday is pretty much the only good time to run around and see things on the show floor though.

Top Bottom