• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Maybe "hatchback" is some kind of regional thing? I feel like I hear it all the time here in the midwest. Especially when hearing people refer to their old cars, they never say a type or specific car, but I hear "My old hatchback" or something similar quite often.

We call them hatchbacks. Dan just didn't know, I guess.

we do, but it's never in the marketing for these cars.

Honda CR-Z is marketed as a "sport compact coupe"

Ford Fiesta's sales materials actually call it a hatchback but probably only to distinguish it from the 4-door.

Audi A1 seems to just be called a "three door" in most marketing materials.

basically what I'm saying is that if you're just an average dude who doesn't follow car media, you're not incredibly likely to hear the word "hatchback" these days in the US.

Maybe "hatchback" is some kind of regional thing? I feel like I hear it all the time here in the midwest. Especially when hearing people refer to their old cars, they never say a type or specific car, but I hear "My old hatchback" or something similar quite often.

It certainly is.
maybe im just out of it who knows

i feel like i never hear it

edit stump coming in with the save ah yeah

kingocfs

I've heard the term hatchback and I live in the US. My dad has a hatchback mazda 3, nice car.

I used to drive one too and I also live in the great country of America. Definitely called it a hatchback.

Also Jeff, please stop being so OLD and JADED and hating games that I want to play kthx!!

Do you even have hatchbacks in the US or do you just use pick up trucks for all your "I need something bigger then a normal car boot" needs?

no, the next step is usually the hilariously oversized SUV's driven by soccer moms. although recently they've pulled back and we've seen more "station wagons that we're not calling station wagons" like the Honda Crosstour and the monstrosities that BMW and Porsche have put out.

also I think it's charming that they're called "estate cars" elsewhere in the english-speaking world.

Into

When "hatchbacks" is more interesting for people to discuss than a videogame developed for years, it says something about the video game.

Rylon, is however, where it is at indeed.

Zaph

Guys, do people say hatchback in the US?

Not that surprising. Seems like a game without an identity outside of "look at all these leaderboards every other modern racing game has!". That it lacks in content is disappointing too, but not surprising given that it was originally a launch game. Probably gonna give this game a pass.

Really wish I owned a Xbone now, FH2 looks great and I'm in the need of a good racing game.

edit: I now learned what a hatchback was. I've never owned a car or cared about cars, so I don't think it's too embarrassing ? Maybe it is.

Oh yeah, I can definitely see myself picking up a XONE before the year's out. D4, The Master Chief Collection, and Forza are just too tempting. Sunset Overdrive too if it's not terrible and scratches my JSRF itch.

A full year delay and what they have is an unfininished game that even if it were finished wouldn't have enough features to compete with other games in the genre.

Bravo, Sony.

Makes you wonder, if this is the game they've finally released, what the hell was it around the original launch date?

def sim

basically what I'm saying is that if you're just an average dude who doesn't follow car media, you're not incredibly likely to hear the word "hatchback" these days in the US.

I agree that it's not a marketing term, though the word is more common than you make it seem. It's certainly not esoteric!

I hear hatchback all the time even in the south

it's also more common in the South. I think it was a conscious effort by car manufacturers to move away what they perceived as undesirable product names, like station wagon.

Also there was a pretty huge gap in production/popularity in hatchbacks in the US between the early 90s and early 2000s. They probably felt weird bringing that term back with the body style.

I agree that it's not a marketing term, though the word is more common than you make it seem. It's certainly not esoteric!

I'd agree, but I'm just saying I can understand how someone who has next to no car experience like Dan would not encounter the word. I'm also in my 30s and owned a CRX in the 90s. But it's just not as common now.

Hmm, hatchbacks are those tortoise looking cars, no? ::runs Google search:: yup, that's them. I've heard it before and I'm in south Florida so it's common enough.

Every game I've been excited for this year has either been delayed into 2015 or come out and been disappointing.

Please be good, Dragon Age Inquisition and Persona Q. Make this year not a total wash.

Brashnir

If you're speaking of a sex club here, I'm down!

image.php

Every game I've been excited for this year has either been delayed into 2015 or come out and been disappointing.

Please be good, Dragon Age Inquisition and Persona Q. Make this year not a total wash.

I'd be pretty surprised if Persona Q didn't end up being good. Or at least decent. Has there been any bad Etrian Odyssey games?

popo

So what is the bet. 2 star or 3 star from Jeff. He says he isn't enjoying it so it can't be higher - but 2 star is usually reserved for bad or broken games.

------

Hot Hatch I think is mainly a 80s UK term. May have gone overseas with Top Gear. Makes me think of kids doing handbrake turns in a supermarket car park. Usually a Fiesta XR2 or Peugeot 205 GTi that they either jacked or bought cheap 'cause it was on it's last legs. Maybe the odd Golf GTi for the posh kid on his mum's insurance.

Myggen

Oh yeah, I can definitely see myself picking up a XONE before the year's out. D4, The Master Chief Collection, and Forza are just too tempting. Sunset Overdrive too if it's not terrible and scratches my JSRF itch.

Yeah, I'm gonna buy a Xbone in a few months I think. After the Halo Collection is released, it will probably be worth it for me.

Top Bottom