• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowlie

Banned
I should put my Phnake avatar back. And watch ZTD's trailer another time.

Got bummed during this bombcast when they were talking about what's good on 3DS and VLR wasn't mentioned.

BearPawB

Banned
i mean they're not dating sim routes, they're all parts of a larger whole...

Sure?
I don't really get your point.

999 really branched out for some of the endings.
What's the point of calling something the clover ending if it had nothing to do with clover?

Jintor

Sure?
I don't really get your point.

999 really branched out for some of the endings.
What's the point of calling something the clover ending if it had nothing to do with clover?

Don't you get Clover's backstory in that route before
it abruptly terminates?

They're character-centric but they're still in service of the main plot, so it's not like they all become 100% about them...

yami4ct

Because of some weird new systems GungHo put in, I'm now running a bunch of information on potential Puzzle and Dragons teams through literal spreadsheets in order to design a new optimal team. This has become a literal spreadsheet game for me.

It's too late guys. I'm too far gone. What has happened to me?

Bowlie

Banned
Because of some weird new systems GungHo put in, I'm now running a bunch of information on potential Puzzle and Dragons teams through literal spreadsheets in order to design a new optimal team. This has become a literal spreadsheet game for me.

It's too late guys. I'm too far gone. What has happened to me?

Isn't that how one plays a f2p game? Doing the same with NFS No Limits.

yami4ct

Isn't that how one plays a f2p game? Doing the same with NFS No Limits.

I've done it casually, but I'm running through a much larger group of combinations this time. It's great and also a bit terrifying. I'm also using multiple spreadsheets instead of just a damage calculator one.

Bowlie

Banned
I've done it casually, but I'm running through a much larger group of combinations this time. It's great and also a bit terrifying. I'm also using multiple spreadsheets instead of just a damage calculator one.

show me how crazy you are.
tyGH3y6.png

BearPawB

Banned
Don't you get Clover's backstory in that route before
it abruptly terminates?

They're character-centric but they're still in service of the main plot, so it's not like they all become 100% about them...

And I'm saying this is lame. They could have done something crazy with those endings. And they didn't.

The axe ending in 999 was crazy and awesome and random. Nothing like that happens in VLR

Bowlie

Banned
To me, the ending that shows where you are in VLR was waaay more impactful than any other ending in 999 (except the True ending). Of course, that impact depends on the order you've chosen to follow.

If you start from left to right on the flowchart, that ending brings nothing new to the table.

yami4ct

show me how crazy you are.

I've only got one true spreadsheet (A damage calculator), but I'm running a ton of spreadsheet like apps right now. My goal is to determine whether the new Skill Inheritance system is going to make a Ra Dragon team viable to beat this with my current crop of monsters, the toughest dungeon in the game and thus making him worth spending a ton of hard earned Monster Points on.

I started by making a team in a team simulator to get a base idea of the Awakenings/HP/RCV/etc. This team is based on the basic agreed upon build for RaDra, but switching out Indra, who I don't have, for Awoken Amaterasu (The change the Skill Inheritance would allow me to potentially make work). The whole idea was to see if I could use her as a replacement and make it work.

I then put that team in a damage calculator spreadsheet to see what I could realistically burst damage given my skill and a decent board.

Next, I looked at the damage that dungeon could do and picked out the biggest threats (In that case, the big boss Kali floor, the Dark Hera preemptive attack and the resolve attack of Parvati) and tried to see if there was a way I could beat those. I determined that for Dark Hera, I 100% would need to use the new Skill Inheritance system to put a shield on one of my cards. I then did some quick by hand calculations to see what strength of shield I'd need.

In the end, I'm fairly sure I can throw together a team that will do what I need it to, but getting there took a ton of steps and I'm still not going to be sure until I invest all the MP I've built up and give it a go. Even if I can't constantly clear that dungeon, I still would have the single best leader in the game and a team that would work, so it's not all bad. Figuring out that A. Ama would be the most viable card to replace Indra with took the most time and research of this project.

I'm not going to lie, theory crafting teams is probably my favorite part of the whole game.

Jintor

And I'm saying this is lame. They could have done something crazy with those endings. And they didn't.

The axe ending in 999 was crazy and awesome and random. Nothing like that happens in VLR

bs man, there's revelations in every path, just some are crazier than others.

yami4ct

bs man, there's revelations in every path, just some are crazier than others.

Uchikoshi is at his best when he's a bit subdued and relaxed anyway. For VLR, I would say the
Luna is a robot
revelation was more impactful than the
K is a weird clone of you
one, even though the former was far more high energy and crazy. It's why I love Never7 so much.

yami4ct

I mean it would have been persona 5, which should release before October 2016.

Right?

RIGHT?

In the US? I'm betting a simultaneous/near simultaneous launch given what we're heard about the games progress (Basically, it's been done for months and months and it's just been polish time, meaning Atlus US has plenty of time to localize). I'm guess somewhere in the August-October range.

In Europe though? Hahahahaha.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
i kinda want to play that game

Ah alright.

I mean, I'm a pretty big Atelier fan, so it's not like there's no precedent.

In the US? I'm betting a simultaneous/near simultaneous launch given what we're heard about the games progress (Basically, it's been done for months and months and it's just been polish time, meaning Atlus US has plenty of time to localize). I'm guess somewhere in the August-October range.

In Europe though? Hahahahaha.

Hey, at least it's not released on a fucking region locked console.

yami4ct

Hey, at least it's not released on a fucking region locked console.

Knowing Atlus JP, they will probably find a way to magically region lock the PS4.

It also probably won't have Dual Audio. Atlas does great dubs, but knowing there's a version of the game with Sugita and Ikeda in it is going to drive me up a wall. The JP VA has Char Freaking Aznable in it, Atlus. Give us Dual Audio. I will pay for it as DLC if I have to.

yami4ct

I'm all for a good dub. Atlus Dubs are usually great.

The JP version, though, is a damn who's who of amazing voice actors, though and it'd be a huge shame to lose such an amazing cast.

Bowlie

Banned
Okay, I can't compete with you yami; P&D is waaaaay more complex, haha. I used to do the same thing in other games, though. Loved every word in that post.

---

I'd buy Nights of 're.

KI's design is like if they mix 3S characters with GI joe.

I like the dumb style of KI, but I'm gonna need to invest in a stick if I want to play any more of that. Doing any longer combos reliably with a gamepad has proven to be impossible for me (they'll probably be impossible with a stick, too, but hey at least I'd have an arcade stick).

yami4ct

Okay, I can't compete with you yami; P&D is waaaaay more complex, haha. I used to do the same thing in other games, though. Loved every word in that post.

---

I'd buy Nights of 're.

PAD is a game that's pretty simple at its core and got more complex as they added more shit to give people more options and force people to farm more stuff.

The game started with only 2 things to worry about in team building. You had leader skills, which are the buffs that you and your friend's leader give, and actives which are unique skills that each monster has on a cool down.

Then they added Awakening skills, which are passive boosts that are mostly unlocked by feeding a monster called a Tamadra to your cards.

This year, they added 2 more systems where things got a bit crazy. They first added Latent Awakenings, which are weaker versions of the regular ones, but you can add them onto any card up to 5 on a single card. The regular ones are fixed. Each monster always has the Awakenings its going to have. These are really flexible, but can be hard to use because they are mostly pretty weak on their own.

Then they just in the last month added the 'Skill Inheritance System'. Basically you can 'equip' a monster on another card and get its active ontop of the other active. The cool down of the second active gets added to the first. Basically, the monster would naturally cool down its original skill, and after the new skill CDs, it's available instead. It's made a lot of new teams viable and made a lot of worthless monsters valuable. The problem is, when the equipped skill is fully cooled down, you can't use the old one until you activate the equipped and wait for the CD of the old skill to charge. It's a very tricky system and it can be easy to screw yourself if you're not careful. Luckily, you can unequip any card and the only thing you'd lose are these special farmable monsters you have to use as currency to equip in the first place.

90% of this stuff is unnecessary to worry over outside of the most top level teams and content.

AcridMeat

Banned
Anyone know off the top of their heads which episode of the bombcast Vinny dropped the C bomb? I know it was from around 09/10 and I'd love to relive that whole episode again.
My favorite Giant Bomb dynamic is when Dan asks a question about internet culture or Japanese culture and Jeff knows the answer but he's too embarrassed to explain it so he just says "It's not... it's not worth knowing."
This is super late but this is one of my favorite dynamics as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom