• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

Has this been discussed?

tumblr_o52fqlNvs61u5eu8ao1_540.png

justjim89

If any of us could live for a day with the joy Dan must feel on Wrestlemania weekend, it could probably tide us over for the rest of our lives.

justjim89

It just seems like the most Dan Ryckert thing, where most people would say, "Oh, I love going to Wrestlemania and seeing all the big matches in person!" Dan gets to do that and get invited to parties where he gets to meet and hang out with pretty much everybody. Because the Law of Ryckert states that if something can potentially go well and lead to a meeting with a celebrity, it will happen.

popo

Is it weird Danny's launching a gaming podcast outside of CBSi?

I'm not saying it is, just wondering what you think.

If it is outside, then it is officially sanctioned - since he said he was in a meeting over the name. I think all GS staff are being encouraged to run with their podcast ideas. This makes the third new podcast launch in the last few weeks (Alexa has a jrpg one, Mary has a horror one).

I wonder how much GB could get on Patreon if the site ever did shut down for some reason.

Well it wouldn't be GB, as the name would have value - it would be Jeff and Co. To be honest I don't think Jeff has it in him to do all that over again. I think him and the crew would just get boring dev jobs at that point.

popo

It just seems like the most Dan Ryckert thing, where most people would say, "Oh, I love going to Wrestlemania and seeing all the big matches in person!" Dan gets to do that and get invited to parties where he gets to meet and hang out with pretty much everybody. Because the Law of Ryckert states that if something can potentially go well and lead to a meeting with a celebrity, it will happen.

He has the Luck of the Rickerts - sure enough - but I think he gets to meet all these wrestlers because he pays $1000+ for the VIP travel package. You still have to have the personality to go up to people but that if how he gets access.

justjim89

There's a moment in the latest MGScanlon where they're discussing how rotten it would have been to live in the middle ages, and Dan goes "I mean, castles are cool and they had dragons and stuff but..." and you can visibly see Drew wonder for a moment if Dan was kidding or if he genuinely believes dragons once existed.

There's a moment in the latest MGScanlon where they're discussing how rotten it would have been to live in the middle ages, and Dan goes "I mean, castles are cool and they had dragons and stuff but..." and you can visibly see Drew wonder for a moment if Dan was kidding or if he genuinely believes dragons once existed.

I'm gonna need a timestamp for this.

Patreon definitely couldn't sustain GB. They could make a successful youtube channel off Patreon but it'd be much smaller scale than GB.

TraBuch

Banned
I wasn't wondering if they'd be able to keep doing what they're doing with Patreon, just how much they'd get. Those GT guys are getting 34K a month and Kinda Funny's getting 32K. Think GB could get that much?

Also, power's finally back. Yay. Now to hope I won't have to clean out the freezer.

daydream

Banned
catching up on part 4 of the oculus stream and this head-controlled rhythm game seems terrible

like, really, really bad and not just exceptionally bland like the rest of the lineup

a true rhythm jigoku

I wasn't wondering if they'd be able to keep doing what they're doing with Patreon, just how much they'd get. Those GT guys are getting 34K a month and Kinda Funny's getting 32K. Think GB could get that much?

You have to note that those values might be inflated or fake because people can pledge but not pay at the end of the month. A lot of artists who apparently have a lot pledged have to deal with this crap monthly. Inflated because Patreon in the long run usually sees a decline in pledges.

One of the many reasons why I adore MGScanlon. I hope they cap it off with MGR.

Does anybody watch premium videos in Firefox by hitting "download" and watching them in the HTML5 player? I've been having a lot of issues playing them that way, lately.

tuxfool

Banned
Does anybody watch premium videos in Firefox by hitting "download" and watching them in the HTML5 player? I've been having a lot of issues playing them that way, lately.

HD videos are busted for everyone atm.

You need to go to the comments, there is usually somebody there that has figured out the correct filename. But this will only be on recent ones.

Zaph

The download version of videos are accessed in a similar manner as apps and stuff that use the API, so you're experiencing the same issues with the new changes.

On Firefox, I use the normal HTML5 whenever I can. It's generally fine, but for the past two weeks every time I pause the video it would freeze and I'd have to refresh the browser to get their player working again. And if I never paused it, the video would eventually have some streaming problem and pause on its own, killing itself.

So I've been using progressive up until two days ago when HTML5 fixed itself.

jaina

You have to note that those values might be inflated or fake because people can pledge but not pay at the end of the month. A lot of artists who apparently have a lot pledged have to deal with this crap monthly. Inflated because Patreon in the long run usually sees a decline in pledges.
Yes, the amount isn't to take at face value and can be quite volatile. It's difficult to promise 10 staffers a reliable income from it. Although Patreon recently changed the displayed number to be more like an average of actual charges of the past months, and without their cut.
Someone in the Easy Allies thread posted that their amount only decreased by ~ $300 after the first charge. Which is a surprisingly low percentage.

I imagine we would still get regular and similar content from GB under a Patreon model, but the production values, video availability and their business capabilities would be worse. Also more PAX for meetups and never outside US (blargh).

Megasoum

Banned
So the video uploader is still fucked looks like...

The only setting that works for me on Killer Instinct is Youtube and it's not smooth for some reason.

Also can't download the file.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
To maintain the current staff at anything approaching a living wage in the areas they live would have to be at minimum $30k a month, and that's probably with significant pay cuts. Has any Patreon ever managed that? If they could manage to convert enough subscribers I guess they could manage it

Zaph

To maintain the current staff at anything approaching a living wage in the areas they live would have to be at minimum $30k a month, and that's probably with significant pay cuts. Has any Patreon ever managed that? If they could manage to convert enough subscribers I guess they could manage it
Gb is mostly senior staff, $30k/mo wouldn't pay for anything. They would probably need closer to $1.5m/year in its current form - but most likely more given they wouldn't have the support of a corp (sales, hr etc).

I hope we never have to find out.

Myggen

What's going on with all these HD downloads/streams not linking to the actual file recently? =/

No idea. I think it started happening with the Bloodborne video, maybe a bit before that, and they can't fix it on the weekend. I would expect it to get fixed next week. It uploads the correct file but somehow links to the wrong filename, the wrong date. You can find all the links by going in the comments where people dig them up manually.

So the video uploader is still fucked looks like...

The only setting that works for me on Killer Instinct is Youtube and it's not smooth for some reason.

Also can't download the file.

The YouTube version of the KI QL not being smooth is probably on you, I didn't notice that at all.

yami4ct

I wouldn't be completely sure that this has anything to do with the API change.

I thought people were saying the download button stuff was tied to the backend API stuff?

Whatever it is, GB has been really broken lately. I haven't had too many issues myself, but I've seen them reported enough so they're certainly there. Engineers are hopefully fully on it.

Myggen

I thought people were saying the download button stuff was tied to the backend API stuff?

Whatever it is, GB has been really broken lately. I haven't had too many issues myself, but I've seen them reported enough so they're certainly there. Engineers are hopefully fully on it.

Yeah, the stuff with the error message from Jeff is directly connected to the API stuff. This is a separate problem though, which may or may not be connected to the API stuff. Wait and see I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom