• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Are you telling me there's better ways to do it than the heroic bloodshed genre? Well I never

I can't actually think of any heroic bloodshed film that involves that premise actually. Not that I've watched that many, but my mind is blanking right now.

As far as I'm concerned, Tested stopped being a tech site and started being a maker site as soon as they got bought out. The tech side pretty much was dead by that point, but that put the nail in the coffin.

The last of my interest in the site left with Will, though.
I don't know if that's entirely fair.
They're very engaged on the VR front, lots of tech discussion on the podcast at least.

Xiraiya

I just can not wrap my head around why Jeff is always on the beastcast, I feel like he becomes more annoying by the week, originally I thought he was getting slower and slower and sounding "stoned" over time, he may very well be.
But he's just tedious to listen to regardless and I just can't for the life of me work out what he brings to the table.

Look as Brad said, old things are good. New things bad.
The reality is more like, old things still can have merit and new things aren't always ideal.

I just can not wrap my head around why Jeff Bakalar is always on the beastcast, I feel like he becomes more annoying by the week, originally I thought he was getting slower and slower and sounding "stoned" over time, he may very well be.

But he's just tedious to listen to and I just can't for the life of me work out what he brings to the table.

Did you miss the part this week where he almost brought in a north korean bomb phone?!?!?!

Xiraiya

Did you miss the part this week where he almost brought in a north korean bomb phone?!?!?!
No, no I did not miss it, Vinny's response to Jeff asking if he was upset that he bought that in to the room sums Jeff up for me.
"Are you upset that I'm on this podcast every week?"
"A lil bit"

Patryn

I just can not wrap my head around why Jeff is always on the beastcast, I feel like he becomes more annoying by the week, originally I thought he was getting slower and slower and sounding "stoned" over time, he may very well be.
But he's just tedious to listen to regardless and I just can't for the life of me work out what he brings to the table.
He's on because he's part of the regular cast? He hasn't been a "guest" for months now.

I find him entertaining and appreciate the gaming tech stories he brings, since that tends to be stuff the Bombcast never touches.

Xiraiya

He's on because he's part of the regular cast? He hasn't been a "guest" for months now.
I find him entertaining and appreciate the gaming tech stories he brings, since that tends to be stuff the Bombcast never touches.

What gaming tech stories, actually what role does he have as the regular cast?
I've heard him talk about processors like once in about the most unsure way he possibly could, which then ultimately I believe came up in a correction anyway.

No, no I did not miss it, Vinny's response to Jeff asking if he was upset that he bought that in to the room sums Jeff up for me.
"Are you upset that I'm on this podcast every week?"
"A lil bit"

Meh, I think he's been pretty great.

I've heard him talk about processors like once in about the most unsure way he possibly could, which then ultimately I believe came up in a correction anyway.

He's there to talk like the rest of them.

Yeah, the reason he's there is seemingly because people really enjoyed him being there so he moved from guest to permanent addition.

He's great and I wish there were more chances for him to be in other GBeast content.

Antiwhippy

Sound like he fits in great with giantbomb then!

Xiraiya

Sound like he fits in great with giantbomb then!

You know what.

Fair enough.

In other news, the Vive stream was fantastic, I found it significantly more impressive than the Oculus, all the moments when everything came together as fluid intuitive movement, making them totally forget where they were for a second was what made that so great.

The Firewatch stuff killed me.

kingocfs

He's not a guest. He says right at the beginning of the show that he keeps getting tricked to come on, and everything that's said on the Beastcast is true.

Xiraiya

I didn't actually mind Jeff in the beginning, it was more of an over time thing of slowly realizing "Who is this guy" "What is he doing here" "He doesn't seem to know much of anything or ask any insightful questions... what is the point of any of this"

It feels like he's kind of like that friend you have who doesn't really know about games or computers or most things and just kind of plays whatever with a "I don't know I got an Xbox and I got this Call of...something game, army? Call of Death? I dunno man, either way it's... uh... it's uh pretty fun, I can't really deal with those games where I have to like you know... stop and think about stuff for like a minute and work the thing out, you know?" sort of attitude.
But him being a friend means you still try to include him in the stuff you do and try and show him stuff a little more unique and substantial but he just can't wrap his head around it.

It could be I just look at him the wrong way but that's just how he comes across a good chunk of the time.

He saw the Chameleon, they talked mice & keyboards for like an hour just a couple of weeks ago.

Other than that he's just a cool dude.

Also he reviews games for a living, I don't know where you'd get that he doesn't know about video games from.

I think Jeff's laid back attitude on the Beastcast probably comes from him being able to be more relaxed on it. He probably has to be a lot different on his CNET stuff.

mintyice

I hope FFXIV goes F2P at some point. I'm certain a lot of people would revolt, but that's the only way I can see myself playing it. I'm sure I'd love it, but I cannot see myself ever justifying a subscription fee. Maybe some day I'll have a large enough chunk of time to commit to that.

It still amazes me FFXI isn't F2P yet. If it was I would totally play it.

Bakalar is real good on the Beastcast. I've been enjoying it more than the Bombcast recently.

I love both, but started to like Beastcast a little more because it feels more like a conversation, or a group of friends catching up after a week. With the Bombcast it mostly feels like them having to go into the studio and talk about this shit, with moments of conversation and fun banter sprinkled in.

hamchan

Let's just talk how about how fucking great Jeff Bakalar is and how much we appreciate him. I wish he would put out his Australian accent more often because that was gold.

popo

I didn't realise FOO show was a coding joke. I guess it explains the caps. I assumed is was a play of "for sure".

If they wanted a coding gag they should have called it "Hello World! with Will Smith" because it sounds like a camp afternoon talk show aimed at women.

FOO show is a really dumb name for a commercial product, but so is Giant Bomb and Tested and they worked out okay.

The "guest" thing has been a gag since about ten episodes in when they realised booking regular guests is hard.

He works for CNET but he is their gaming editor - so it isn't like he is writing technical articles.

As someone who hated Jeff on his 404 podcast, I can't imagine the beastcast without him.

Let's just talk how about how fucking great Jeff Bakalar is and how much we appreciate him. I wish he would put out his Australian accent more often because that was gold.

It is okay if that guy doesn't like Jeff. He didn't get personal or insulting about it. Doesn't need a defence force. However, the answer to "why is Jeff on every week" can be seen when he isn't on. More people like him than don't.

I don't think there's any defence force. A guy said he doesn't like him and doesn't get why he's there, people respond by saying they like him and stating why he's there.

So guys.

Should I get endless legend?

I liked endless space, but it felt super basic. Like "baby's first" 4X.
It's solid but also pretty basic, it's not baby's first 4x but it's not far off.

kAmui-

So guys.

Should I get endless legend?

I liked endless space, but it felt super basic. Like "baby's first" 4X.

I loved Endless Space, but didn't play that much of Endless Legend. I really liked what I played but I just kinda fell off. I've been thinking of getting back since they've updated the game a lot. It kinda felt like their take on Civilization with some twists. The guest system was really interesting for one. Combat is hit and miss. I liked it, but I've seen a lot of people be negative on it.

I'm not a huge 4X guy so I can't really speak on how basic it is. It felt deep enough for me.

PS. Jeff Bakalar is awesome!

Antiwhippy

I don't think there's any defence force. A guy said he doesn't like him and doesn't get why he's there, people respond by saying they like him and stating why he's there.

It's solid but also pretty basic, it's not baby's first 4x but it's not far off.

I loved Endless Space, but didn't play that much of Endless Legend. I really liked what I played but I just kinda fell off. I've been thinking of getting back since they've updated the game a lot. It kinda felt like their take on Civilization with some twists. The guest system was really interesting for one. Combat is hit and miss. I liked it, but I've seen a lot of people be negative on it.

I'm not a huge 4X guy so I can't really speak on how basic it is. It felt deep enough for me.

PS. Jeff Bakalar is awesome!

Hmm, think I might pass then. Again, liked endless space, but I feel like it's a bit too streamlined for my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom