• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah but that whole rooftop fight in DS2 is like pretty much lifted from DS1 if you ignore the rest of the points you made. It was a total deja vu moment

They were the same thing to me, lol (but Poe's Law may be in effect here).
I believe he's being pedantic on purpose too further dogpile on the guy above's kind of needless nitpicking.

The gargoyles are in fact not even part of the same genus considering the different biochemical makeup necessary to generate fire versus electricity. They are in fact only part of the same order and just excellent examples of convergent evolution. On top of all that one is optional to fight while the other 100% mandatory! Clearly they have no real similarities beyond some arbitrary superficial ones!

I'm bored guys!

justjim89

I've just gotten into Dark Souls lore, but for me it's mainly been VaatiVidya and TerraMantis. It's really surprising how many good stories are there under the surface of Dark Souls. I just wish they'd directly surface them a little more.

Also, Vinny and Austin Dark Souls lorecast please.

I've just gotten into Dark Souls lore, but for me it's mainly been VaatiVidya and TerraMantis. It's really surprising how many good stories are there under the surface of Dark Souls. I just wish they'd directly surface them a little more.

I think that's why I connected so much with Bloodborne, I think the Lore is easier to grasp on to without going so deep.

LiK

You should watch ENB's lore series. Everyone basically stole his ideas. He's been sourced in the Wikis and even Vaati/TM are fans of his. ENB avoided making lore videos for BB/DS2cuz he basically knows all the details and doesn't want to make a definitive lore series to undermine the games he worked on altho he confirmed some stuff in his LP.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I think that's why I connected so much with Bloodborne, I think the Lore is easier to grasp on to without going so deep.

Really? I don't think so... Bloodborne is purposefully more obscure, because of the cosmic horror stuff. Not fully understanding what's happening and what the Great Ones are etc is sort of the point. You probably just knew what to look for better. Dark Souls 1 is the most straightforward, narratively, of all the Souls games. The intro is pretty clear on the backstory, the NPCs are very forthcoming and direct, and the item descriptions do the rest. There's never a Frampt or Kaathe equivalent in DS2 or 3, or BB, who'll just straight up spit some lore and tell you what's up and what they want from you with such a degree of clarity.

jaina

Still holding off on Austin's review, but so far Dark Souls 3 has a spot on my Steam wishlist. I want to play one of them before getting too familiar with the levels because of videos.

It's my understanding that there's a lot more explicit lore stuff in this one, if you can figure out how to do quest that explain things.

In all honesty while a lot of things are reading the item the descriptions the npcs tell you a lot too, but at least I always forgot to talk to them when I did stuff. Like the crestfallen warrior straight up tells you in Dark Souls go to the Undead Burg and Blighttown to ring the bells. He also then points you to go talk to Frampt and Frampt sends your through Sen's Fortress. After that you'll clear Anor Londo since you don't have a choice and you should be at a level to go freely anywhere without too much hardship. The hardest thing is probably getting into Blighttown if you don't have the master key.

I hadn't realized until last week when I was goofing around in a new Dark Souls play through. I quit after getting the lord vessel, so I don't know if Frampt explicitly tells you go in a certain order to get the lord souls.

Really? I don't think so... Bloodborne is purposefully more obscure, because of the cosmic horror stuff. Not fully understanding what's happening and what the Great Ones are etc is sort of the point. You probably just knew what to look for better. Dark Souls 1 is the most straightforward, narratively, of all the Souls games. The intro is pretty clear on the backstory, the NPCs are very forthcoming and direct, and the item descriptions do the rest. There's never a Frampt or Kaathe equivalent in DS2 or 3, or BB, who'll just straight up spit some lore and tell you what's up and what they want from you with such a degree of clarity.

Maybe not in overall lore, but the idea of being able to play and come to some kind of understanding of what has gone on is at least a little easier to grasp I think. Sure you can get the general idea of Dark Souls pretty easy and some NPC's storylines can be easier to follow but with BB I felt like I was more able to get to a point and understand why certain shit is fucked up, In a general way. Maybe it is just that I knew better what to look for because I remember my time with DS and just being lost and stopped caring.

yami4ct

Hey guys. Remember when I said I wasn't really that excited about DS3?

Well. I ended up grabbing it on Steam and starting the pre load yesterday. My internet isn't acting like shit, so I might actually have it by midnight. Everything I've heard about DS3 makes it sound like the DS2 I wanted instead of what we got.

justjim89

You should watch ENB's lore series. Everyone basically stole his ideas. He's been sourced in the Wikis and even Vaati/TM are fans of his. ENB avoided making lore videos for BB/DS2cuz he basically knows all the details and doesn't want to make a definitive lore series to undermine the games he worked on altho he confirmed some stuff in his LP.

I've got his first video loaded up right now, actually.

I will say, I have absolutely no idea what's going on narratively in DS2. Although I have gotten spoiled on the big twist or whatever, that happens towards the end. Looking forward to jumping into DS3 with both feet, though. Plus it comes out on my birthday.

Bowlie

Banned
YO I DON'T KNOW WHAT A BONFIRE DOES

You caress it with your hand and wooooshhhhh, now there's fire.
And then you can sit in front of it and whoooooshhhh, now your health is back.

Hey guys. Remember when I said I wasn't really that excited about DS3?

Well. I ended up grabbing it on Steam and starting the pre load yesterday. My internet isn't acting like shit, so I might actually have it by midnight.

Same here.

LiK

I've got his first video loaded up right now, actually.

I will say, I have absolutely no idea what's going on narratively in DS2. Although I have gotten spoiled on the big twist or whatever, that happens towards the end. Looking forward to jumping into DS3 with both feet, though. Plus it comes out on my birthday.

Cool, you'll see that his videos are way older and he mentioned stuff long before those other guys mentioned them.

Incredibly vague Dark Souls 2 plot spoilers below!

With the the Scholar of the First Sin the story is basically "Hey guess what apparently someone always lights the first flame again. It's become a huge cycle! The guy who was supposed to do it this time fucked up! You should go do it instead!" And then like two thirds of the way through "Hey it's turns out that guy messing up might be a good thing maybe... we can try to break the cycle. We think that's better than light or dark! Who knows!" Proceed to beat the game with the player character and an item that makes them immune to hollowing. Congrats you've broken the cycle for yourself go figure it out for everyone else or continue it.

I'd like to think the DS3 player character is the same person as the DS 2 one considering the weird name they gave said character this time around in the marketing materials.

Skatterd

Incredibly vague Dark Souls 2 plot spoilers below!

I'd like to think the DS3 player character is the same person as the DS 2 one considering the weird name they gave said character this time around in the marketing materials.

Dark Souls 3 character spoiler, don't click if you don't want to know
Red Knight is not the player character

BearPawB

Banned
Brad's complaints about Dark Souls 3 and how it is connected to previous games are maddening.

That is one of the coolest things about DS3!

It isn't "fan service" it is a fucking sequel

BearPawB

Banned
I haven't watched the QL yet but that seems like an odd complaint.

Rather then "oh hey, look at (minorest of spoilers)
these returning characters in this sequel to a game!

he says "oh hey those
are characters from the first game
what fanservice"

Brad might as well take the rest of the week off, looks like he got his "piss off people on the internet" quota in already

I am not pissed at Brad lol. I just really really truly from the bottom of my soul don't understand how a sequel having connections to previous games is fanservice.

Like, having sully in Uncharted 4 isn't fan service. It is just a continuation of that character

I think he's more bothered by the fan service aspect of it, which i can totally understand. I know these games are connected but I almost prefer going into them like the older Final Fantasy games, where many of the games shared similar mechanics but each one was its own world with its own characters and experiences.

I haven't finished DS2 yet but so far in my 30 hours playing it, at least on the surface level, it doesn't really beat you over the head with any direct connections.

Of course I could be totally wrong and it starts getting crazy with that stuff later in the game though.

LiK

DS2 was definitely fanservice at spots mainly because it wasn't made by Miyazaki and some of the references were just there and didn't add anything to the lore for it. DS2 lore was bad in general. I loved the gameplay but I never considered it a good continuation of the story.

BearPawB

Banned
DS2 was definitely fanservice at spots mainly because it wasn't made by Miyazaki and some of the references were just there and didn't add anything to the lore for it. DS2 lore was bad in general.

DS2 the only thing that bugged me was the copy pasted boss fights. They didn't really have any lore connections necessarily. It just felt like they wanted to cram in more bosses

LiK

DS2 the only thing that bugged me was the copy pasted boss fights. They didn't really have any lore connections necessarily. It just felt like they wanted to cram in more bosses

That's what AGermanSpy said. He worked on the guide with ENB and even he had lots of complaints about the bosses. They were pretty meh.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it even if the software isn't really there Sleeping. Surprised you haven't messed with the cockpit stuff already since that seemed like the stuff you was most interested in.

Well most of the cockpit games work better on the Rift by most accounts, so I just figure I'd hold off since the Vive had plenty of stuff for me to check out in the meantime.

Rather then "oh hey, look at (minorest of spoilers)
these returning characters in this sequel to a game!

he says "oh hey those
are characters from the first game
what fanservice"

I am not pissed at Brad lol. I just really really truly from the bottom of my soul don't understand how a sequel having connections to previous games is fanservice.

Like, having sully in Uncharted 4 isn't fan service. It is just a continuation of that character

Brad's problem probably stems from the fact that he thinks all these games might as well be one offs instead of sequels. He's mostly right considering Demon Souls and Bloodborne. I'd imagine Brad didn't watch lore videos so he isn't aware of the more direct connections between Dark souls 1+2. Which is fair considering outside of two bosses and items nothing else showed up in both from a visual standpoint. Obviously the connections are there but they take some effort to find. I also thinks it's super weird that the thing you're talking about does show up in Dark Souls 3. Without further context it does seem like fan service.

I think he's more bothered by the fan service aspect of it, which i can totally understand. I know these games are connected but I almost prefer going into them like the older Final Fantasy games, where many of the games shared similar mechanics but each one was its own world with its own characters and experiences.

I haven't finished DS2 yet but so far in my 30 hours playing it, at least on the surface level, it doesn't really beat you over the head with any direct connections.

Of course I could be totally wrong and it starts getting crazy with that stuff later in the game though.

I think fan service is a bit of an odd word to describe it but I also think that plenty of people will be a little put off by the more overt nature of the game's lore and it's links to previous games.

yeah, so far none of the bosses are doing much for me in DS2, at least not the same way that the bosses in DS1 and Demon's did. It partly because there are so many of them so it lessens their impact and partly because even the ones in there aren't particularly special.

This is barely even tangentially related to Giant Bomb but I just discovered that Polygon's Nick Robinson is the brother of Porter Robinson and I'm surprised it took me that long to put two and two together like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom