• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very, very tempted to just go pick up Trackmania on PS4, but I'm trying to be rational and hold off for a few days. My biggest concern is only a dozen people picking it up on console. Shame this isn't a Rocket League situation with console-PC cross platform multiplayer, would be a perfect fit for it.

Megasoum

Banned
I've been watching Dan play Stardew Valley for the last hour instead of actually playing a game myself.... And I want to play a game!

I have a problem...

I still need to watch Game Tapes 2

also that BvS review thread is fucking great with all the schadenfreude.

That thread sounds crazy but I want to stay out of it for huh.... professional reasons lol

That BvS thread is spawning pages at an ungodly rate. I try skipping five pages, there are seven new ones.
It's all the salt I love about game review threads where the public hasn't had a chance to play the game yet and thus almost no one on the thread can actually make a convincing argument that their favorite thing is actually any good, just fanboy dribble about how reviews dont matter and such.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Nevermind, no need to talk about other threads.

Trackmania Turbo looks refreshingly crazy. Glad to see that most of Jeff's concerns didn't end up ruining the game.

Nevermind, no need to talk about other threads.

Trackmania Turbo looks refreshingly crazy. Glad to see that most of Jeff's concerns didn't end up ruining the game.
Not at all, people are having a tough time trying to rationalize these reviews among people chuckling and enjoying the salt

There was a while there where people complained that the film got hit hard and unfairly for not being like a marvel film, which when people mentioned that the Nolan films also reviewed well was often met with silence

It's been fun

Cher and Sesame Street remix make all the trash worthwhile. And that Buck Bumblebee.

Edit: I wonder what the equivalent of the Obi-wan Action Cam will be in Turbo.

If I can't play this track then I don't want to play Turbo.
1AyhSDRl.jpg

yami4ct

Watch them start up work on Bravely Second.

At least they'd only be working on 1 game that time. That'd be a bit more in scope.

Fan translators have a hard time finishing a single release of a game that hasn't ever come over. I have zero idea how the hell these guys thought they were going to retranslate 3 games that were fine already.

You mean retranslating a whole game in a completely lifeless manner just to add back a weird face rubbing mini game that wasn't even liked in the original territory and some dumb swimsuits was a colossal waste of time? Who knew?

I have nothing but massive respect for people who can translate Japanese media and have the end product have some kind of flavor. I was never particularly good at creative writing, and that's what it boils down to. It's like someone handing you a piece of paper that says "A man eats an apple." and tells you to rewrite it into something that is both interesting but accurate. You can't make up what shirt the man is wearing, you can't even say if he likes the apple, but you need to describe what he's doing. It's mind-bendingly difficult for me, and presumably most people.

it's okay to not like the way the writer describes the man eating the apple, but it doesn't mean it was done "wrong." anyone who says the writer should take that piece of paper and write below the original text, "A man eats an apple," is wrong and their opinion should not be taken seriously.

I'm still with Jeff on this one. If you can't bear the thought of anything but the pure and unsullied original text, learn the fucking language and experience it in its original form. And then be massively, horribly defeated when you realize that the original writing wasn't very good either.

Mr. F

Banned
This week's Bombcast felt like the first good one in a while. I guess it helps that it was a non-stop news week between VR and PS4.5 craziness, but the discussion was refreshing.

beastcast still better tho

Jintor

I'm still with Jeff on this one. If you can't bear the thought of anything but the pure and unsullied original text, learn the fucking language and experience it in its original form. And then be massively, horribly defeated when you realize that the original writing wasn't very good either.

exprience so far

also japanese relies so much on contextual clues to convey information that a straight translation of the text is ridiculously stupid. like, holy shit.

I miss the Tumblr questions.

someone needs to take the reins away from Brad at that point and just read some damn Tumblr questions because every time he questions if they should do some, and then doesn't, I want to scream

exprience so far

also japanese relies so much on contextual clues to convey information that a straight translation of the text is ridiculously stupid. like, holy shit.

I'd like to see some dumbass try to do the most literal of literal translations leave out subjects where they're implied.

"食べますか?"

"Eat?"

yami4ct

I have nothing but massive respect for people who can translate Japanese media and have the end product have some kind of flavor. I was never particularly good at creative writing, and that's what it boils down to. It's like someone handing you a piece of paper that says "A man eats an apple." and tells you to rewrite it into something that is both interesting but accurate. You can't make up what shirt the man is wearing, you can't even say if he likes the apple, but you need to describe what he's doing. It's mind-bendingly difficult for me, and presumably most people.

it's okay to not like the way the writer describes the man eating the apple, but it doesn't mean it was done "wrong." anyone who says the writer should take that piece of paper and write below the original text, "A man eats an apple," is wrong and their opinion should not be taken seriously.

Absolutely. Localization is an art. If I didn't know that to begin with, reading all of XSEED's localization diaries certainly have showed that to me. Languages are living things and not all the proper context, emotion and intent can be conveyed by directly translating one word to its closest literal relative. To read a work in a different language, have such a fantastic working knowledge of that language to get the full depth and intent and to be able to convey that with the tools of a completely different language is kind of awe inspiring work.

But these are the kinds of people that would want honorifics included in a work that has zero to do with Japanese culture for the sake of 'accuracy'. They can't be appeased.

yami4ct

Man, once you start skipping VR shit on a podcast, it becomes super easy to skip over the games you don't care about, too.

I was actually pretty OK with the VR talk these week. It felt real and substantive for once.

Only thing I didn't like was Dan's comment about people not caring to hear VR talk being because 'it's hard to describe'. The reason I typically dislike it, and most others I've seen complain about it, isn't because you're doing a poor job describing why we should care. It's because the talk is extremely repetitive. I understand what you're saying, it's just you've all said it 10 billion times.

Myggen

I was actually pretty OK with the VR talk these week. It felt real and substantive for once.

Only thing I didn't like was Dan's comment about people not caring to hear VR talk being because 'it's hard to describe'. The reason I typically dislike it, and most others I've seen complain about it, isn't because you're doing a poor job describing why we should care. It's because the talk is extremely repetitive. I understand what you're saying, it's just you've all said it 10 billion times.

Tbf that is a common complaint about VR talk, so Dan isn't wrong there in general.

yami4ct

Tbf that is a common complaint about VR talk, so Dan isn't wrong there in general.

Is anyone really bitching because they don't get it? I feel like Dan's comment is just an extension of the 'you have to try it' defense many people already sold on the tech use against anyone who complains.

But these are the kinds of people that would want honorifics included in a work that has zero to do with Japanese culture for the sake of 'accuracy'. They can't be appeased.

that's such a tough one, and while I lean about 80% towards "cut them," there are times where I feel like you lose too much by trying to work around that limitation. Yakuza 3 was kind of a mess because they tried too hard to extract all the japanese language quirks from the script. Majima calls Kiryu "Kiryu-chan" (in a friendly way), and they localized it to "Kazzy," which is both awkward and doesn't convey the same feeling. for later games, they kind of split the difference and took out honorifics in any situation where they're kind of perfunctory and left them in where they'd have some kind of impact.

but in pretty much any other situation where you're not dealing with subject matter that is intrinsically japanese (and where interactions are fundamentally colored by specifically japanese sociolinguistic structures), there's no reason short of one's own writing limitations to not excise them entirely

Is anyone really bitching because they don't get it? I feel like Dan's comment is just an extension of the 'you have to try it' defense many people already sold on the tech use against anyone who complains.

"you have to try it!" is such an infeasable situation for many, many people. it's a relatively small percentage of the gaming population that can even afford to buy any of the VR sets, and most of us don't even have the occasion to try it in a demo situation.

Myggen

Yes, people complain that it's difficult to grasp because they haven't had a chance to try it themselves.

yami4ct

that's such a tough one, and while I lean about 80% towards "cut them," there are times where I feel like you lose too much by trying to work around that limitation. Yakuza 3 was kind of a mess because they tried too hard to extract all the japanese language quirks from the script. Majima calls Kiryu "Kiryu-chan" (in a friendly way), and they localized it to "Kazzy," which is both awkward and doesn't convey the same feeling. for later games, they kind of split the difference and took out honorifics in any situation where they're kind of perfunctory and left them in where they'd have some kind of impact.

but in pretty much any other situation where you're not dealing with subject matter that is intrinsically japanese (and where interactions are fundamentally colored by specifically japanese sociolinguistic structures), there's no reason short of one's own writing limitations to not excise them entirely

For me, Honorifics should only be included if it makes sense for those characters to be using them. IE are the people actually Japanese? Yakuza would be a series I would be 100% be fine with the inclusion of honorifics or Japanese terms of endearment that are hard to translate like 'aniki' (though Yakuza tends to use 'brother' in the place of that and that works 99% of the way). The only thing I'd want in the case of games like that is a glossary for those who might be unfamiliar with the nuances of the terms.

Persona is a game that I'm also completely fine with the use of honorifics for the same reason. I would've been fine with Digimon Cyber Sleuth doing it as well if the game was at all consistent with them. For a game like Fire Emblem, it's completely unnecessary. There's an argument for doing it on the Hoshido side give it's similarities to ancient Japan, but it's best to leave it out for consistency.

Yes, people complain that it's difficult to grasp because they haven't had a chance to try it themselves.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I feel like I've seen those kinds of complaints vanish like 6 months ago. I get it's hard to get completely sold without trying it, but I feel like pretty much understands it conceptually by now.

yami4ct

"you have to try it!" is such an infeasable situation for many, many people. it's a relatively small percentage of the gaming population that can even afford to buy any of the VR sets, and most of us don't even have the occasion to try it in a demo situation.

It's the biggest hurdle for VR to get over. Even if you put demo stations in major chains, there won't be people manning them helping people set their IPD, explaining the comfort levels of the potential demonstrations or just generally answering questions. Even if they do some sort of tour with manned stations, how many people could they realistically reach?

I imagine once demo stations start circulating, you're going to have rash of people who had shitty experiences because of improper calibration, not understanding how to put on the device or just the demo they choose was shitty for them. That's going to be a rough start. That's not to mention the inevitable pink eye epidemic.

What do you even want them to talk about?

People complained about The Division in talk in release week and now VR talk is too much when they've just returned from multiple showings of retail versions of headsets, new games and a press conference where Sony have finally finalised their VR plans.

It's like complaining about talking about new console launches because you don't have one yet.

Hey man, not everyone wants a video game podcast to talk about the newest and biggest video game and the most potentially monumental advance in video games since their invention.

i can kinda see getting sick of vr talk when it was so far away but now that it's almost here that's really exciting and interesting

yami4ct

What do you even want them to talk about?

People complained about The Division in talk in release week and now VR talk is too much when they've just returned from multiple showings of retail versions of headsets, new games and a press conference where Sony have finally finalised their VR plans.

It's like complaining about talking about new console launches because you don't have one yet.

The problem with VR talk is, like they did with Destiny, they talked way too much about it when they actually had nothing new to add. By the time they actually had new stuff to convey, like this week, people were justifiably burnt out.

FWIW, I've hated the Beastcast VR talk and I thought this week's Bombcast was fine because there was actually some real insights.

KingKong

It's sad to see Jeff trying to force himself to pretend that Trackmania Turbo is crazy and wild like the old games

you're not gonna be joining servers with user made intros that load in Madonna remixes, there's nothing nuts about time attack or being an arcade racer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom