• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

so this was before Square Space, Me Undies, Mail Chimp, Casper Mattresses, Nature Box, and Stamps.com existed.

Got it
???
of course some of those companies existed, but ad networks and buyers virtually ignored podcasts thanks to the lack of reliable metrics, so the money was shit even if you could sell. This is why podcast surveys and monthly-specific offer codes came into play - now ads are everywhere (but the money isn't much better)

???
of course some of those companies existed, but ad networks and buyers virtually ignored podcasts thanks to the lack of reliable metrics, so the money was shit even if you could sell. This is why podcast surveys and monthly-specific offer codes came into play - now ads are everywhere (but the money isn't much better)

it was a joke about how pervasive podcast ads are now

some podcasts know what's up and they play music during their ads so when you skip forward you know when you've passed the bullshit. Reply All is good at this, for example.

Even then, they're not grating enough to make me want to skip them, and some podcasts have enough fun with it that it's entertaining.

I hate you, Mr. Business.

Myggen

ukTDQVm.png

Anyone having this issue?

No. Try logging in and out, if not try contacting Rorie at support@giantbomb.

Even then, they're not grating enough to make me want to skip them, and some podcasts have enough fun with it that it's entertaining.

I usually dont skip them either but something about the Idle Thumbs doing it breaks my heart. it's like you can tell that they hate every second of doing those things but awkwardly try to get through them just to keep the podcast alive.

I'd throw money at them if they went to Patreon just to put an end to ads on the pods they blast.

yami4ct

The McElroy podcast and /Filmcast ads are the only ones I skipped through. The McElroy were cute for a while, but the breaks got way, way too long and repetitive. For the /Film ones, Dave just doesn't know how to end an ad. He'll keep one going for 2 minutes after the bit he started with stopped being funny.

And tbf, this was before podcast advertising established itself and the sales networks existed. There were few other ways to monetise and other major podcasts tried paywalling too.

It's funny how podcasts are the only ad market that actually feels like its in a healthy state. Sure, the same companies do ads over and over, but it seems like Podcasts can actually be ad supported if they have a decent enough listener base.

Doop

The McElroy podcast and /Filmcast ads are the only ones I skipped through. The McElroy were cute for a while, but the breaks got way, way too long and repetitive.

I think the mbmbam ones are good, because sometimes they continue a bit inside the ad. It's not just a jarring switch to "ad mode" (although I think the transition music kinda sucks). I've been sort of considering just listening to the premium feed for the bombcast though, I'm not sure how I feel about their ads.

Im having this issue!

I am, too. Weird thing is, just an hour ago I was able to watch the video.

Edit- Every video is affected!

Edit 2- Works fine in Chrome. Firefox is where I have the issues.

Edit 3- Seems to be HTML5 related. I turned off Flash (which I turn on in Chrome only for Giant Bomb- typically only for livestreams and Twitch) and the error happened in Chrome.

Edit 4- Everything seems to be fixed.

justjim89

Bombcast ads are the most tolerable for me. New ones every week, quick, and generally funny enough.

MBMBaM ads are way too long, especially when their fundraiser is going, but they can still be funny sometimes. I just can't believe people pay $100 to send those dumb personal messages.

The worst podcast ads are easily The Comedy Button's. I love the show, but they've used the same tired-ass ads for about 4 years now.

yami4ct

I think the mbmbam ones are good, because sometimes they continue a bit inside the ad. It's not just a jarring switch to "ad mode" (although I think the transition music kinda sucks). I've been sort of considering just listening to the premium feed for the bombcast though, I'm not sure how I feel about their ads.

MBMBaM ads used to be good, but now they take too many sponsors, the individual sponsor bits go way too long and then they have too many jumbotron messages on top of that. It's too tiresome for me and the bits aren't worth the hassle.

That seems like 80 billion years ago.

Absolutely. It feels like so goddamn long. I remember chatting directly with Dave at the time because money was tight and he promised to refund my sub if I got in a situation I really needed the cash.

BearPawB

Banned
MBMBaM ads used to be good, but now they take too many sponsors, the individual sponsor bits go way too long and then they have too many jumbotron messages on top of that. It's too tiresome for me and the bits aren't worth the hassle.

Absolutely. It feels like so goddamn long. I remember chatting directly with Dave at the time because money was tight and he promised to refund my sub if I got in a situation I really needed the cash.

Its the one parrt of MBMBaM that drives me crazy.
I fast forward through the ads. They are long as hell. And usually ads for several different things.

Do you think Sony and Bamco / FROM have some kind of handshake deal that allowed Dark Souls to be a so similar to Demons Souls?

Obviously devs make similar games and spiritual successors all the time but Dark Souls literally reuses assents and sound effects left and right.

Demons Souls to Dark Souls is like what if Destiny had a bunch of Halo guns and sound ques and characters in it.

Maybe Sony dropping Demons Souls reverted some rights back to FROM.

Oh and dropping Demons Souls has to be one of the bigger missteps a publisher has made. Then again Dark Souls having the wider audience kind of made it the success it was... I dunno.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I remember chatting directly with Dave at the time because money was tight and he promised to refund my sub if I got in a situation I really needed the cash.

Dave was/is the coolest.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, they started doing stuff like that a few months ago. Comic Vine has been folded into GS as part of that push. They're trying to grab a piece of that "nerd culture" money.

So instead of giantbomb being part of GameSpot, it's comicvine.

What a twist.

yami4ct

Dave was/is the coolest.

Dude is one of the most chill and understanding guys around. It was great just how much he communicated with fans and made sure everyone got what they needed. I can't imagine working engineering and doing such thorough CS like he did.

Rorie's great too, but he definitely seems more limited by working completely in their CS system.

Frith

Its the one parrt of MBMBaM that drives me crazy.
I fast forward through the ads. They are long as hell. And usually ads for several different things.

it feels like its more than a third of the podcast at times

intro bit 2 questions 10-15 mins of ads they try to spice up but that just makes them so much longer 2 questions, question with fake laughter, end

i still listen because the gold is still amazing but i've never had such a love hate relationship with a podcast. it really feels like they might be killing the goose

justjim89

it feels like its more than a third of the podcast at times

intro bit 2 questions 10-15 mins of ads they try to spice up but that just makes them so much longer 2 questions, question with fake laughter, end

i still listen because the gold is still amazing but i've never had such a love hate relationship with a podcast. it really feels like they might be killing the goose

Between how long the money zone is and the fact that the last 8-10 minutes are usually thank you's and plugs for upcoming stuff, there's maybe a half hour of actual content in any given MBMBaM. It's really a bummer. I've heard Griffin mention he sometimes cuts stuff out or trims it down. Fuck that. Leave the actual show content in the show, even if it's not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom