• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, eleven articles and already a repeat writer, but this time without a podcast because they would be retreading a lot of stuff he wrote about in his first guest article.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but these articles don't really seem like they fit on a site like GB.

Yeah. Like talking about game design, or tropes in a video game is fine. But fucking preaching about unions? Get that shit out of here.

Unions is one of those things that is really great on paper but is actually kinda shitty most of the time once it's out in the real world.

Yup. If you know anything about police unions or teachers unions, they're complete shit. When a union gets power, they tend to become shit and bad for people.

as a former (effectively mandatory) union member, I don't have a single nice thing to say about them

talking about unions is worse than talking about anime, not that I want that ban to be lifted

Yeah. Like talking about game design, or tropes in a video game is fine. But fucking preaching about unions? Get that shit out of here.

Yup. If you know anything about police unions or teachers unions, they're complete shit. When a union gets power, they tend to become shit and bad for people.

I have a family of teachers, so, go ahead and enlighten me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wonder how much of it is cultural.

Unions are more of a thing in australia, and seem to be one of the major differences between political parties. The far right and right-wing parties hate unions, while the center and left-wing favour unions.

BearPawB

Banned
I just think it is really hard to create a "new union" nowadays.

Don't want your video game job? Don't like the crunch time? I bet there are 1000s of college grads looking for their dream job who would cross that picket line in an instant.

To start a game union would require levels of cooperation and respect that the game industry simply isn't known for. Most game devs are happy to just have a job i bet given how volitile the market is. And unless you are a big name, you are a replaceable cog in a giant ubisoft machine

Jintor

I just think it is really hard to create a "new union" nowadays.

Don't want your video game job? Don't like the crunch time? I bet there are 1000s of college grads looking for their dream job who would cross that picket line in an instant.

To start a game union would require levels of cooperation and respect that the game industry simply isn't known for. Most game devs are happy to just have a job i bet given how volitile the market is. And unless you are a big name, you are a replaceable cog in a giant ubisoft machine

I don't think that's a problem common only to video games, these are problems historically common to creating any union, as far as I know.

Mature

Also, eleven articles and already a repeat writer, but this time without a podcast because they would be retreading a lot of stuff he wrote about in his first guest article.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but these articles don't really seem like they fit on a site like GB.
I've enjoyed them and their accompanied podcasts greatly.

I have a family of teachers, so, go ahead and enlighten me.

For one, rubber rooms. Waste of money and waste of time.

I was also in California when the strikes were happening some time ago. A waste of time and money, and kids losing out on education.

The people that end up paying are usually the children. I'm not attacking the teachers, either, but the union itself.

All I know about unions is that Ice Cube once made a movie about it.

5a846607be2fbe4d6513c350d14015f0.jpg

BearPawB

Banned
I don't think that's a problem common only to video games, these are problems historically common to creating any union, as far as I know.

sure, that's what i'm saying.
If you didn't start a big union decades ago, starting one now (in america at least) seems like a pipe dream

To answer Jeffs question as to why people would want to delete games from their steam library: some of us have built up a library of garbo cheap games from bundles and feel bad about not playing that shit so deleting those games helps bring relief to the anxiety that comes with a backlog. If I could sell those games back i would do it but alas, there isn't a way to do that as of now.

No_Style

I'm going to repeat it until it returns: I miss Guns of Navarro. I really enjoyed Alex's writing in that format.

I haven't read or listened to a single one of Austin's guest writer initiative and I kinda feel bad about saying that but at the same time, not really.

To answer Jeffs question as to why people would want to delete games from their steam library: some of us have built up a library of garbo cheap games from bundles and feel bad about not playing that shit so deleting those games helps bring relief to the anxiety that comes with a backlog. If I could sell those games back i would do it but alas, there isn't a way to do that as of now.

or if you have idiot friends like I do who gift you multiple copies of Bad Rats or Grass Simulator or whatever fucking trash they find amusing

ps, does anybody want a copy of Grass Simulator

if not, I'll probably give it to daydream

No_Style

or if you have idiot friends like I do who gift you multiple copies of Bad Rats or Grass Simulator or whatever fucking trash they find amusing

ps, does anybody want a copy of Grass Simulator

if not, I'll probably give it to daydream

Wait. You can't refuse or choose not to redeem a gift? (I never received a gift in such a long time so I don't know)

Teacher unions are a super mixed bag because holy shit have I met some real scumbag union people, but without them I could see getting four class sections of forty kids with the expectation that they'll all pass the standardized test, oh and no funding for class materials.

Like that still happens in some districts but I have no doubt that it would be impossible for teachers to function without unions.

Wait. You can't refuse a gift? (I never received a gift in such a long time so I don't know)

You can accept it or put it in your steam inventory, where it festers. Last I knew, at least, it's been a while since I got a gift.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Teacher unions are a super mixed bag because holy shit have I met some real scumbag union people, but without them I could see getting a four class sections of forty kids with the expectation that they'll all pass the standardized test, oh and no funding for class materials.

Like that still happens in some districts but I have no doubt that it would be impossible for teachers to function without unions.

You can accept it or put it in your steam inventory, where it festers. Last I knew, at least, it's been a while since I got a gift.

Naw the free market will fix everything. Private schools for everyone!

yami4ct

I don't think I've ever got a Steam gift. My Steam Friends don't care enough about me to give me garbage.

I also don't think I'm friends with any of you guys. What's up with that?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Unions are a shitty solution to a shitty problem (the fact that capitalism sucks and will always result in people being exploited and oppressed).

Always remember, kids:

Anyway I've been playing Japanese Dark Souls 3 all day and it's fucking great AMA

yami4ct

Unions are a shitty solution to a shitty problem (the fact that capitalism sucks and will always result in people being exploited and oppressed).

Always remember, kids:

Anyway I've been playing Japanese Dark Souls 3 all day and it's fucking great AMA

I mean, the problems with capitalism and unions are a pure symptom that, when taken as a group, humans are garbage and will ruin every system.

As for DS3 questions, are you a crazy person that likes DS2? If so, I suppose your opinion will not match mine. If not, is this game an improvement over that mess?

I mean, the problems with capitalism and unions are a pure symptom that, when taken as a group, humans are garbage and will ruin every system.

I mean if you want to get real big picture, the function of all life is to claw your way over everyone else. We just happen to have a social aspect to it where most other species just kill each other.

yami4ct

I mean if you want to get real big picture, the function of all life is to claw your way over everyone else. We just happen to have a social aspect to it where most other species just kill each other.

Absolutely. Evolution and competitive natural selection work very well until your species needs to work in large groups.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
on the other hand, when you don't have unions, employers tread on you like ants. so
As someone who does work in the games industry unions are
REDACTED REDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTED
. God Bless America.

TraBuch

Banned

Always remember, kids:

Is it possible to play it like Bloodborne? Any weapons you can just dash around with? I loved the Souls games, but Bloodborne spoiled me and I had the hardest time going back to Dark Souls after hours and hours of Bloodborne. Just felt too slow and clunky.

My last few minutes with this Fallout DLC was a good reminder of some of my problems with Fallout 4 (though I do like the new robot building stuff, it's silly):

This new DLC robot buddy asks to come along fora mission, I say sure. We do the mission, kill shit. At the end it says talk to the buddy robot. When we talk, standing literally in the room where we just finished the quest, she asks what happened. She is completely oblivious to the outcome of the quest despite being there the whole time. This is just seems so lazy. Then, I go to the exit door to leave the "dungeon" and go back to base and the game crashes. I load and try a different exit, it crashes. Guess I am stuck in there until a patch hits. Or I'll use the console commands to try teleporting to somewhere else.

Is it possible to play it like Bloodborne? Any weapons you can just dash around with? I loved the Souls games, but Bloodborne spoiled me and I had the hardest time going back to Dark Souls after hours and hours of Bloodborne. Just felt too slow and clunky.

Echoing this. Sad you can't get around the estus chug.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

As for DS3 questions, are you a crazy person that likes DS2? If so, I suppose your opinion will not match mine. If not, is this game an improvement over that mess?

I think Dark Souls 2 is great. It's just not as good as Dark Souls 1, which, well, what is? But to answer your question, it feels like Dark Souls 1. The level/world design feels more Bloodborne to me than anything, which isn't shocking I suppose, given how much overlap in development there was. But in terms of combat, it's Dark Souls. All the bad changes DS2 made are pretty much out. But it still very much builds on it and acknowledges it (with estus shards, for example). It feels like a mixtape of all the Souls games + Bloodborne, deliberately so. It's really cool.

Yes, absolutely. Dashing obviously isn't quite as forgiving as it was in Bloodborne, but there are special dual-wield weapon types, and some of them have mobility weapon arts. I found some dual daggers that let you dash around, Bloodborne-style, by pressing L2. The weapon arts system feels derivative of trick weapons, in a good way. But playing shieldless is totally viable, movement feels very snappy.

DamnBoxes

My last few minutes with this Fallout DLC was a good reminder of some of my problems with Fallout 4 (though I do like the new robot building stuff, it's silly):

This new DLC robot buddy asks to come along fora mission, I say sure. We do the mission, kill shit. At the end it says talk to the buddy robot. When we talk, standing literally in the room where we just finished the quest, she asks what happened. She is completely oblivious to the outcome of the quest despite being there the whole time. This is just seems so lazy. Then, I go to the exit door to leave the "dungeon" and go back to base and the game crashes. I load and try a different exit, it crashes. Guess I am stuck in there until a patch hits. Or I'll use the console commands to try teleporting to somewhere else.

I just wanna' say I always read your username as "therealanime".

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I just never activated the stuff I couldn't imagine playing. Usually just saved the keys up for the Steam sale threads and threw them at modbot.

I still have over 500 Steam games. Most of the last five years is a blur of bundles.

yami4ct

I think Dark Souls 2 is great. It's just not as good as Dark Souls 1, which, well, what is? But to answer your question, it feels like Dark Souls 1. The level/world design feels more Bloodborne to me than anything, which isn't shocking I suppose, given how much overlap in development there was. But in terms of combat, it's Dark Souls. All the bad changes DS2 made are pretty much out. But it still very much builds on it and acknowledges it (with estus shards, for example). It feels like a mixtape of all the Souls games + Bloodborne, deliberately so. It's really cool.

Yes, absolutely. Dashing obviously isn't quite as forgiving as it was in Bloodborne, but there are special dual-wield weapon types, and some of them have mobility weapon arts. I found some dual daggers that let you dash around, Bloodborne-style, by pressing L2. The weapon arts system feels derivative of trick weapons, in a good way. But playing shieldless is totally viable, movement feels very snappy.

How are the bosses? The bosses were piss easy in DS2 and (aside from a couple exceptions) the same kind of boring in Bloodborne for me. I heard DS3 has a ton of gimmick fights, which made me really nervous to hear.

TraBuch

Banned

Just clarifying, when you say you can dash around while holding certain weapons by pressing L2, are you saying L2 is the actual dash button? Or do you push L2 to kind of change modes and then you're able to dash around with O?

Meneses

While I can appreciate the idea and the effort put into it, I haven't read a single guest article and have no interest in doing so.

I wrote this while rewatching the history of DMX Goomba for like the 10th time, make of that what you will.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
How are the bosses? The bosses were piss easy in DS2 and (aside from a couple exceptions) the same kind of boring in Bloodborne for me. I heard DS3 has a ton of gimmick fights, which made me really nervous to hear.

I've only fought 4? bosses so far, none have been particularly difficult, but only one that is somewhat gimmicky, but it was still a very cool fight imo. The first boss damn near gave me a heart attack the first time I got him to half HP though, they do some pretty nasty shit. They all get harder as the fight goes on. But they haven't been terribly hard so far. I'm fine with that, as long as there are at least a few tough bosses in there. They can't make these games only for people who have played every single one, you know? And they already proved in the Bloodborne DLC they can make bosses as hard as anything... if you haven't fought those, you have no idea!

Just clarifying, when you say you can dash around while holding certain weapons by pressing L2, are you saying L2 is the actual dash button? Or do you push L2 to kind of change modes and then you're able to dash around with O?

L2 is the weapon arts button, it changes depending on what you have equipped. With a normal shield it's parry, as always. Two handing a greatsword and holding L2 puts you in power stance, then you get different attacks with R1 and R2. For some weapons, pressing L2 gives you a buff. For others, it just does a special kind of attack right away. And for those daggers I mentioned, L2 turns into a quick step/dash type move. It doesn't change your normal roll.

Also, one of the best "changes": multiplayer pretty much works like in Dark Souls 1 again. Hooray! I actually get invaded, unlike Bloodborne, where I never saw an invader. But only in Ember (think Human, non-hollowed) form. So you can opt out, basically.

Jintor

I like the Guest articles a lot, actually, but I agree they don't really fit GB's "Identity" so to speak.

On the other hand, I'm not a GB marketer, so what do i care

BearPawB

Banned
Watching the Dark Souls video... Yup... That sure is a Dark Souls game...

sure, but would you want it to be anything else?

I like the Guest articles a lot, actually, but I agree they don't really fit GB's "Identity" so to speak.

On the other hand, I'm not a GB marketer, so what do i care

I like them too.
Anything to get more writing on the site too. But i think they should do a podcast to go with every guest article. Usually if the podcast was interesting i would read the article.

I don't understand the identity question. GB doesn't put out a lot of articles, but when they do, they are usually good. These are no exception. Disagree with the topic, but there isnt a single piece that hasn't generated some interesting discussion.

Scizzy

Whatever one thinks of unions, the idea that discussing labor in the video game industry has no place on a video game website is profoundly weird.

yami4ct

I've only fought 4? bosses so far, none have been particularly difficult, but only one that is somewhat gimmicky, but it was still a very cool fight imo. The first boss damn near gave me a heart attack the first time I got him to half HP though, they do some pretty nasty shit. They all get harder as the fight goes on. But they haven't been terribly hard so far. I'm fine with that, as long as there are at least a few tough bosses in there. They can't make these games only for people who have played every single one, you know? And they already proved in the Bloodborne DLC they can make bosses as hard as anything... if you haven't fought those, you have no idea!

By the time the DLC hit, I was extremely done with Bloodborne and I have zero intention of going back. I mostly enjoyed my time with it, but the lack of variety of character builds and the generally bland encounter design burnt me out way quicker than any Souls games previous (Aside from DS2, but that game has bigger problems).

BearPawB

Banned
Dark Souls is one of the greatest games of all time.
Dark Souls 2 disappointed at first...
But looking back, Dark Souls 2 had plenty of memorable moments/locations/fights. I just didn't go back to it as much

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
By the time the DLC hit, I was extremely done with Bloodborne and I have zero intention of going back. I mostly enjoyed my time with it, but the lack of variety of character builds and the generally bland encounter design burnt me out way quicker than any Souls games previous (Aside from DS2, but that game has bigger problems).

Dude you are missing out like you have no idea. Totally worth going back for the DLC, it's some of the best content (and certainly best/hardest bosses) of any Souls game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom